• Published 1st Jun 2013
  • 10,795 Views, 499 Comments

Unknown - Divide



A Juggernaut wakes up in a crashed ship, and makes it his goal to kill as many enemies as he can before he falls. Nobody is more surprised than he when something other than enemy soldiers are waiting outside...

  • ...
46
 499
 10,795

Chapter Nine: Discussed

Unknown

Chapter Nine: Discussed


The blue-green alien looked up at me, past my outstretched hand, golden eyes wide with curiosity, shock, and... wonder? It surreptitiously reached for the Rubik's Cube with spasmodic bursts of speed and abrupt stops, its line of sight alternating between the multicoloured block and my helmet. A few centimetres before making contact, the alien stopped as if blocked by an invisible barrier. It glanced at me once more. I adjusted the cube in my hand, holding it with only a few fingers. I brought it a bit closer, trying to instill the message that it was a gift.

After taking a deep breath, the alien grabbed the Rubik's Cube out of my hand, meaning that my point must have translated. It sat and held the cube carefully, almost like it might explode, studying it intently. Upon closer inspection, the alien seemed to realize that the block was meant to be turned, and proceeded to do just that, rotating the sides at an alarming speed. I wondered at this.

This was the second time I have witnessed one of them using their appendages to manipulate objects with finesse—the first was when they gave Catherine medical attention—yet how they managed to do this was a complete mystery to me. Their legs all ended in a simple hoof that had no outstanding characteristics, which implied that they could not use them as graspers; the rapid twists and turns that the alien was performing, however, nullified that implication. It seemed that nothing could be taken at face value. All of my questions brought more questions.

When the grey, horned escort spoke up and made a subtle motion towards me—one that I wasn't supposed to have noticed—the blue-green one stopped fiddling with the Rubik's cube and disappeared briefly, returning with a bag slung over one side. They shared a few more words, glanced at me, then the blue one nodded and stepped outside, closing the door behind it.

Almost immediately, the escorts began walking back the way we came, the blue-green one walking between them. I followed in their footsteps a few paces back, glad that they were all in front me now, but wary of where we were going; I had no idea where they were leading me if the last stop wasn't our final destination.

I expected us to return through the market area, but as we approached, the three aliens took a turn down a cramped, compact alleyway amid several small buildings. I inwardly sighed and followed them down the path.

After a particularly tight squeeze through the jutting, unsymmetrical dwellings where my shoulder ground against a wall, I heard a echoing squeak just behind me. A sharp intake of breath followed soon afterward. I twisted my neck to get a better look, but all I saw was a flash of colour as a window was shut and the curtains drawn hastily across. I kept walking.

The terminus was revealed when the three aliens came to a stop in front of a medium-sized building that was slightly apart from the others. The overall design was different than much of the village: an aura of venerability surrounded it, making it seem older, somehow, even though I could see no degradation of the materials used to construct it. When the aliens walked up the steps leading to a wooden double-door and knocked, I followed.

Just as I climbed up the last step, the doors were opened from within. The opener was tan in colour and had steel-grey hair. A pair of glasses rested on its snout, and age crinkles were visible around its eyes. The alien smiled when it saw its kin, but the smile vanished when it saw me. After taking a deep breath, it nodded and motioned for us to enter.

I had some trouble fitting through the doorway, but after ducking underneath the doorframe, I was rewarded with a ceiling high enough that I could stand straight and not have my head scrape against it.

I quickly glanced around. The room was large and vaguely dome-shaped with aliens of varying colours milling about. Most were carrying either papers or books with unfamiliar characters, although one was carrying a tray with various types of food piled high. To their credit, although most glanced over, very few stopped and stared when they saw me. All of the aliens—

Aliens. Aliens, aliens, aliens—I was getting very tired of using that word. They were extraterrestrial to me, but did I have any right to call them aliens if I was the visitor? What else could I call them? I thought about what Catherine had called them. Ponies, she had said they looked like. Alien ponies, though distinguishing them from the ones on Earth seemed moot. Ponies it was.

My vision drifted to the long, low-lying table situated in the centre of the room. Some strange-looking chairs were placed systematically along it, and a single... pony sat in the middle with heaps of paper surrounding it. It was a deep, vibrant purple and its eyes were glued to a page directly in front of it. I noticed that it had both wings and a horn—something none of the others that I had seen possessed—as well as a crown-like ornament resting on its head. Royalty? There was something special about this one: I could feel it. There were questions to be had, and answers to be provided. Finally.

I walked forward, my boots thundering on the creaking, wooden floor. All other noise ceased; the aliens scrambling about moved like ghosts. I felt their eyes boring holes into my back as I stopped directly across from the purple pony. After I stood there for a few seconds, unmoving, it finally looked up from its all-important paper. A look of surprise was wiped away by a cheerful, ecstatic grin. It looked down at the piece of paper once more, then closed its eyes and furrowed its brow, as if in deep thought. What happened next can only be described as fantastical.

A small sphere of translucent light began to grow from the aliens' horn, which expanded until it fully covered its head, much like my own helmet. But it didn't stop there. The sphere kept increasing in size until the edge of it made contact with my armour. I felt a strange tingle when it touched, yet nothing when it passed harmlessly through my body, doing so as if it was immaterial. Before long, a large area around the table was encompassed within the dome of light.

"Hello? Can you understand me?"

My head twisted so quickly towards the source of the words that I felt my neck crack. The voice that spoke in my native tongue, unfamiliar and feminine, came from the purple pony sitting across from me.

"I'll take that as a yes," the pony—a she, if the voice was anything to go by—continued. "My deepest apologies in regards to the delay of this meeting, Visitor. It's certainly been a process setting up a proper location here in Ponyville, but, well, here we are. Oh—I almost forgot to introduce myself!"

She jumped to her feet and bowed formally, raising a leg to her chest. "My name is Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Equestria. It is with great honour that I bid you a proper welcome, and extend the hoof of friendship." Her leg remained outstretched towards me. Numbly, I grabbed the hoof as gently as I could manage and shook it.

All of this information suddenly thrust upon me after such a long drought made my brain go into overdrive, neurons firing like automatic weapons. This 'Twilight Sparkle' was speaking to me as if I was a revered guest, a dignitary, an ambassador. Did they truly think that the crash was our landing sequence? No, they couldn't—they've seen the mess of the interior. What did they think my purpose here was, then—an emissary of my entire race? How could I explain that Catherine and I were trapped here without escape, and if I could, what would they think of their revered Visitor when they knew he was stranded?

I shook my head to dispel my rapid-fire thoughts. Despite the goldmine of knowledge I had been bestowed with, there was still more to acquire. I would process this later. Reaching towards the base of my neck, I unclasped the base of my helmet and removed it slowly. I placed it on the table and took a deep breath before speaking.

"You can call me Six," I replied, making eye-contact with Twilight Sparkle. To her credit, she didn't look away, even after she revealed another important piece of information.

"I must ask for forgiveness, but unfortunately, our conversations are relegated to being one-way for the time being. The spell that you see around you—" She motioned towards the purple dome. "—Doesn't have the capability to translate your language. Yet. It'll take some more time until we find the correct iteration, which is why we have a large amount of staff working on solving this conundrum as quickly as possible. Again, we're very sorry about this, Visitor. Please don't be offended."

I quickly shook my head in answer. After seeing that it was still only Twilight Sparkle and I alone at the table, I motioned towards the empty seats. Thankfully, my question was interpreted correctly.

"The members of the council should be arriving here shortly." Twilight Sparkle sighed with equal amounts of relief and anxiousness. "You came earlier than we intended, Visitor. We didn't expect you to be the one initiating contact, and we're thrown for a little bit of a loop." She smiled nervously. "I'm sorry, I'm talking too much, aren't I? I know it's supposed to be my job and all, but still: I'm acting more nervous than when I received my wings."

I didn't understand, so I shook my head again. After deciding that I could use a break from standing, I looked at the chair across from the purple pony. It was many sizes too small, even if I could figure out how I was supposed to sit in it. I slid it out of the way and kneeled in front of the table instead. Even kneeling, I was still looking over Twilight Sparkle. I folded my arms and settled in to wait.

\\\\\

When the members of the council had all arrived, the introductions began immediately. I was familiar with a couple of them already. The council consisted of: Applejack, who was the orange pony that ran the fruit stand and, I learned, a nearby farm which produced the delicious fruits; Rainbow Dash, a blue pony with wings who I didn't recognize—although her multicoloured 'hair' was strangely familiar—was in charge of something called the 'Weather Patrol'; Filthy Rich, a dirt coloured pony whose ancestors were apparently one of the founding families of the town I was in; Cheerilee, who was a teacher of the younger ponies and a slightly brighter purple than Twilight Sparkle; and finally, Lyra Heartstrings, who was the blue-green pony responsible for actively trying to understand and welcome me since the crash. She repeatedly thanked me for my gift, saying that she didn't deserve it. All I could do was shake my head, trying to insist otherwise.

While not difficult names to remember, they were certainly strange, and I was glad they provided a few pieces of paper and a writing utensil. A reference sheet was exactly what I needed, so I wrote down every scrap of information I acquired.

Strangely, there was only one male, this 'Filthy Rich', amongst the seated ponies. Maybe they had a matriarchal society; I'd have to ask when I could. Even odder was that they referred to themselves as 'ponies'—their own word, not mine—which was exactly what Catherine thought they were at first. Was that a coincidence, or was this 'spell' simply translating words that made sense to me? What was this spell, anyway? This sphere of light was completely foreign—I had never seen anything like it previously. Instead of raw strength and technology, which were both quite lacking from what I had seen, it seemed they had these spells to compensate. I pondered how many they had access to, and the specifications of what each did. Perhaps they weren't as vulnerable as I previously thought.

My musings were interrupted when Twilight Sparkle cleared her throat. Immediately, all of the ponies who were not sitting at the table began filing out every which way. In less than fifteen seconds, they had all dispersed.

"Now that everypony has made their introductions, we can get started with the discussion. I'd like to thank you again, Visitor, for choosing to participate and humbling us with your presence."

I snorted. Others being humbled in my presence? I never thought I'd see the day. Twilight Sparkle took no notice of the noise I made, however. After consulting a clipboard in front of her, she continued.

"Lyra, would you like to start? I know your question has been bothering you ever since you set foot into the star-traveler."

All eyes turned, including mine, turned towards Lyra Heartstrings, who had been idly fiddling with the Rubik's Cube. She swallowed nervously before nodding.

"I-I was wondering, V-Visitor, if your friend has recovered from their grievous wounds. Both myself and Fluttershy have been worried sick that we didn't do enough. They are okay, right?"

I nodded. After thinking for a second, I used two of my fingers and 'walked' them along the table.

"They have recovered enough to walk?"

I nodded again.

Lyra sighed with relief. "That is... very good to hear. I'll let Fluttershy know as soon as the meeting is over. And if there's anything else..."

I met her gaze and nodded slowly, once.

"Good! Great!" Lyra paused for a moment with her mouth open, then closed it. "I have a hundred questions, but they can wait until the important stuff—"

"Important stuff like the dust cloud hanging over our heads?" interrupted Rainbow Dash. "Or the things in the Everfree going crazy 'cause something fell out of the sky on top of them? How about those for a start?"

"Dash!" exclaimed Twilight Sparkle, a look approaching horror on her face.

Rainbow Dash grunted. "Sorry, Twilight. Been a stressful couple of days, that's all." She hadn't yet looked me in the eye, even during her earlier outburst. "There's a storm coming," she began, staring at the table. "Big one. Big enough that the whole patrol can't steer it away, and when it gets here, it'll rain mud for a week. All the crops will be ruined. Some roofs might collapse. Everypony is going to be miserable, dirty, and brown."

Filthy Rich coughed.

"Uh, no offense, Rich."

"None taken. How long until the storm reaches Ponyville?"

Rainbow Dash tapped the table a few times with a hoof. "A few days. A week at the most." She turned towards me, her eyes hard but cautious. "I'm sure you didn't mean to cause us problems, Visitor, but you've given us one heck of a big mess to clean up. There are a bunch of ponies, me included, who would've preferred it if you never showed up in the first place."

They had no idea I wished for the same thing, and I had no way to tell them, so I did the only thing I could.

I nodded.

It was going to be a long meeting.