• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 3,668 Views, 92 Comments

Titanic: Ponified - NotARealPonydotcom



James Cameron's Academy Award-Winning Masterpiece, ponified for your reading pleasure.

  • ...
10
 92
 3,668

The Tickets

Titanic: Ponified
A MLP: FIM Fanfiction
Based on James Cameron's Titanic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: The Tickets





"Twilight? Twilight! Twilight, darling, where are you?" Rarity looked around the Ponyville library for any sign of her violet-hued friend. She had received a letter from Twilight saying that something important had come up, and that she needed to come over 'as soon as convenient'. When Rarity had been about to reply that she was unable to come at the time, another note appeared, bearing the single sentence, 'If inconvenient, please come anyway'. Now Rarity was worried. What could Twilight have possibly needed her for? Was it a fashion emergency? Was Twilight going to a formal event, and needed the help of Ponyville's most talented fashionista?

Rarity was about to find out.

With a loud crash, a purple blur came zooming from the kitchen into the main room. Twilight came to a halt mere inches from Rarity's face, which greatly unsettled her. Twilight looked like a little filly who had gotten every single item he had wished for on Hearth's Warming Day. Her mane was frazzled, and her pupils were mere specks on her wide, violet eyes. With a shudder, Rarity pushed Twilight away, calmly dusting off some non-existing dirt Twilight had flung on her.

Twilight began jumping up and down repeatedly, reminding Rarity of Pinkie Pie whenever she got in a 'partying' mood. Twilight started babbling something hardly intelligible.

"RarityI'msogladyou'rehereyou'llneverguesswhatIjustgotwejusthavetowaitfortheotherstoshowupandIcanfinallytellyou-"

She was abruptly stopped as Rarity calmly put a hoof to her mouth and pulled her back on the ground. She smiled at her. "Now, Twilight, I can hardly stand Pinkie's bouncing and rambling. Please, just sit down and tell me what's going on." She motioned to some chairs, and Twilight nodded, still keeping a large grin on her face. She sat down at the table, and Rarity followed her, moving around piles of upturned books that lay across the ground.

Sitting down at the table, Rarity looked around, taking note of the chaotic state of the library she had entered. Books were strewn about, some overturned, some looking as if they had been read and left on the floor, some with pages falling out. The strangest thing about the books, however, was their subject: every book Rarity could see on the floor had something to do about boats. Books on boating, books on the history of boats, ships' logs, and even a copy of Herman Melhoove's Pony Dick laying on the ground, opened to a picture of the Pequod with scribbles all over it. Twilight herself was ignoring the mess, looking anxiously back and forth between Rarity and the door to the library. Rarity cleared her throat, drawing Twilight's attention.

"So, I suppose Spike isn't awake yet? You seen to have been..." she gestured to the mess around them. "...busy, and he usually does a nice job of keeping things from falling apart in here." She looked back at Twilight, who had gone back to staring at the door.

"Hm? Oh, that." Twilight seemed to take notice of the chaos around her for the first time, and lost interest in it immediately, looking back at the door again. "No, Spike is awake, he's just-"

As if on cue, the purple dragon himself came through the kitchen door, holding a large tea platter in his hands. When he caught sight of the mess, he groaned. "Jeez, Twilight! You tell me to make tea for seven, I assume we're having friends over, it takes about ten minutes to get it all set up, and in that time you somehow manage to trash the library. You do realize that our friends are coming over-" He stopped at the sight of Rarity, and face instantly brightened. "Rarity! How nice to see you!" He seemed to be a different person as he calmly maneuvered over to the table, avoiding the books without looking down once, and placed the tea set down.

Rarity smiled at him. "Hello Spike. Twilight really has your work cut out for you today, doesn't she?"

Spike laughed. "Nah, this isn't that bad! I've had to clean up worse before. I just wish she gave me a heads-up sometimes." He lifted the teapot up. "Would you like a cup?"

Rarity nodded. "Very much, yes." As Spike gratefully served her tea, she could practically see the hearts in his eyes. She stifled a giggle. His little crush can be so adorable sometimes. Rarity had become aware of Spike's feelings for her on his birthday, after he had nearly destroyed Ponyville and gone berserk. It had been the gift that she had(admittedly) conned out of him that had saved him from becoming a greed-filled monster for the rest of his life. In the chaos, Spike had attempted to tell her his feelings, but she had stopped him, for what reason she couldn't remember anymore. She couldn't recall if the tears that she had shed that day were from the fall, as she so claimed later, or from whatever else might have caused them to be shed. She had, thankfully, been able to put the event behind her without having to break his heart. It's silly, really. She thought to herself. The thought of a pony falling in love with a dragon, or vice versa for that matter, is absolutely ridiculous.

She stopped. A pony falling in love with a dragon? Wasn't it the other way? No, she thought, it's neither. Spike is simply infatuated, not in love. I stunned him with my looks, and its messed up his head, the poor boy. She looked at him. He had finished pouring tea, and was now trying to clean up the books that Twilight had thrown about. She sipped her tea, and decided it would be easier to think about her feelings(HIS feelings she corrected) about him(her!) alone. As she set down her cup, one last thought on the matter drifted through her head.

Why not?...

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Twilight uncharacteristically shrieked, and zipped to the door faster than Pinkie Pie could have. Opening the door, she was greeted by an equally excited blur of pink that zipped through the opened door and directly into a preoccupied Spike, who was carrying a large pile of books that blocked his vision. Or at least, it had been blocking his vision.

"YAAAAAHHH! PINKIE!" Spike lay on the ground, fuming at the pink earth pony that had caused the mess that now surrounded them. Pinkie Pie giggled at the angry dragon. "Heehee, oops! Sorry, Spike! I was just sooooo excited about what Twilight had to say! She was all 'Oh Pinkie, you need to come over right now!' And I was all 'Okay, Twilight! I am there if you need me!' And then I was on my way and I saw Applejack and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy and I was soooo excited when they told me that they had gotten a message from you. They all said 'It sounded very important Pinkie' and I said 'YAY! We get to go on an adventure together! And then I-"

Pinkie was silenced by a hoof in her mouth from an annoyed looking Applejack. Her eye twitched slightly. "Sugarcube, why don't we all sit down? Ah'm pretty sure Twilight wants ta tell us her news ASAP." Across the room, Fluttershy, who had walked in after checking to make sure it was safe, nodded in agreement. "Oh, yes, Twilight's letter made it sound very urgent, and I'd hate to keep her wait-" She was interrupted by a rainbow blur that went blazing past her, and she squeaked and hid behind a nearby potted plant. Peeking out, she sighed in relief as the blur that had scared her came to a complete stop next to Pinkie Pie. "Oh, Rainbow, you startled me."

Rainbow Dash turned, looking a little less than apologetic. "Yeah, well, it's kind of hard not to. I mean, it's you." Noticing Applejack's stare, she quickly changed approach. "But, yeah, I'm sorry about that." She turned back toward Pinkie Pie, and pulled her up off the ground. "Come on, ya goofball! Do you want Twilight to tell us what's up, or are you gonna chat it up with Spike all day?" She started to pull a still giggling Pinkie toward the table.

"Of course I want to hear what Twilight has to say, Dashie! That's why we're here!" She zipped to the table, pulling Rainbow Dash with her. She sat down and, eyeing the tea first, began lookin around the table as though something were missing.

Rarity looked up from her cup."Something wrong, dear?"

"YES!!!" Pinkie's sudden outburst caused everyone to look at her. She looked like she was about to have a panic attack. "WHERE ARE THE TEA TREATS? YOU CAN'T HAVE A TEA PARTY WITHOUT TEA TREATS?" She began hyperventilating, and Twilight, who had been knocked back by Pinkie's entrance, was now running towards the kitchen. Everyone else was backing away from the table and Pinkie except Rarity, who simply stared Pinkie down.

Rarity was about to snap when Spike appeared again, with a plate of sweets. Placing them down, Pinkie seemed to deflate and immediately set upon the sweets, seemingly oblivious to the looks of fear on her friends. Spike leaned towards Rarity and whispered in her ear. "I figured Twilight would forget. Made these myself." Rarity didn't break eye contact with Pinkie. "You're my hero," she whispered back. Spike blushed and went back to cleaning the scattered books with a new spring in his step.

The other mares joined Pinkie and Rarity at the table. Twilight's previous hyperactive mood had disappeared, replaced by her regular air of self-control that made Twilight Twilight. She sat down and took a sip of her tea. She waited for Spike, who had finally been able to clean up all of the mess, before she cleared her throat and began.

"Now, I suppose you're wondering why I sent you all that letter." Taking note of the responding nods, she continued. "Well, it's because I have some very good news." She broke out into a wide grin, and, using her magic, floated six slips of paper over to the table from her desk. Each of the slips was gold-colored, and they were imprinted with the name:
RMS Titanic.

The other girls gasped. Spike simply stared. "Twilight..." he looked over at her. "Was that what was in that letter the Princess sent?" Twilight nodded excitedly, then continued before anyone else could comment. "That's right. You're all looking at six first-class tickets to the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic!"

Rarity looked up at her. "Twilight, how on earth did you get these tickets? They cost a fortune! Even ponies like Hoity Toity can't afford tickets, much less first class! And that's just one! How did you get six?"

Spike coughed. Drawing Rarity's attention, he pointed over to the desk Twilight had gotten the tickets from. "I believe I mentioned I letter from the Princess?"

Twilight nodded. "Spike's right. I got the tickets from the Princess this morning. I was so excited I had to write to you all. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was in trouble, but I was really excited about all of this."

Fluttershy shook her head. "Oh, no need to apologize. I would have been just as excited." The others agreed with her. "If it was me," said Rainbow Dash, picking up one of the tickets, "I would have zoomed straight to all of your homes and gave you each a ticket myself!"

Rarity spoke up again. "You say that Celestia gave you these tickets?" Twilight nodded again, and brought the note over using her magic. She cleared her throat.

To my faithful student, Twilight Sparkle,

These past few weeks, it appears that your studies in friendship have taken a toll on your mind. The reports I'm getting have nothing to do with you in any way, and I am worried that you aren't learning anything anymore. I don't mean to put any stress on you about it, but I believe that you may be working too hard on other subjects. I think that some time off with your friends would be good for you. Which brings me to some exciting news.

As you know, for the last 2 years, thousands of ponies have been working on creating the largest ship in the world. You also have probably heard that the ship, named the RMS Titanic, was finished several week ago. Well, it is with great pleasure that I am able to tell you that its maiden voyage is in a few weeks! It will be sailing from the coast of Manehatten to the faraway reaches of Trottingham, and the voyage has been described as legendary and unforgettable. I myself became intrigued as to when it would set out, and hoped that I could perhaps cruise along on the maiden voyage. Sadly, I am unable to do so, as I am constantly needed by the court of Canterlot. However, I was lucky enough to be gofted with several tickets from the captain of the ship.

Enclosed are said tickets. There should be six, one for you and the other Elements of Harmony, your closest friends. I hope you can enjoy yourself on the cruise, and perhaps you may even be able to write a friendship report while on the ship itself.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

Twilight looked up. All of her friends had picked up their own ticket, and Pinkie Pie seemed to already be thinking about the parties on the ship. Spike, however, looked downcast.

"Only six?" His voice sounded small, and it snapped the others out of their trance. Twilight's smile disappeared momentarily, and she lifted the letter up again, and read:

P.S. Sincere apologies, Spike. No matter how hard I tried, I could not acquire a seventh ticket. I will make it up to you someday, so please try not to be depressed. I don't get to go either.

Twilight looked at Spike. "I'm really sorry, Spike. The Princess tried. It's not the end of the world."

Spike sighed and looked up at her, a smile coming back to his face. "Yeah, I guess it's just one of the hangups to being the plus one of the Elements of Harmony." He got up and walked to the kitchen, taking his tea cup and plate with him.

Rarity looked back at Twilight. "How terrible!" She was almost shouting. "How is it that the captain of the ship would be so greedy as to deny the Princess, of all ponies, another ticket for Spike? Who would be so cruel?" She stopped when she saw the look Applejack was giving her. "Sorry ta disappoint, sugarcube," she said in an indifferent tone, "but the captain can't just give away tickets like that. He probably didn't want ta give any free tickets away at all. Six was probably a big dent in profits in his eyes. Ah know how businesses work, no matter what ah may appear." Rarity's unbelieving look disappeard as she realized Applejack was right: someone in the Apple family had to know how to run a business. "Still," she said, "It's only seven tickets! How many ponies do they think could fit on that ship? 'The largest ship in Equestria', remember?" All of them nodded, remembering the first news that the Titanic was under final construction. It had been called the unsinkable ship, larger than any ever created.

Rarity continued. "Even if seven tickets were given away, I would bet my boutique that you could fit at least 2,000 ponies on board that ship! What's seven tickets to 2,000 buyers? That's still turning a profit!" She was surprised to hear a laugh coming from Rainbow Dash. She turned to her, a look of poison in her eyes. "Oh?" she said, "And just what makes my logic so laughable, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow stopped laughing. She looked up at the white unicorn across from her. "I'm sorry, Rarity," she snickered, "but you don't know how much it cost to build the ship, did you?" When Rarity shook her head, Dash nodded in understanding. "Well," she said, leaning back in her chair, "counting all the supplies it took to build the ship, the lost materials, the designing team, and a million other things, the cost of the ship turned out to be around..." She paused for dramatic affect. "... 100 million bits." She folded her forelegs on the table. "How you like them apples?"

Rarity was stunned. She didn't give Rainbow Dash the satisfaction of being right, though, and instead turned toward Twilight again. "Even so, the tickets cost a fortune. They must add up to that much!"

Twilight sighed. "They would, if they were all first class. But only 100 first class tickets are being given out for the maiden voyage. That's why they're so expensive in the first place. But that isn't the point." Twilight looked back at Rarity. "Even if we had an extra ticket, I don't think Spike should come."

Rarity looked at her like she was another pony. "What? Why ever not?"

Twilight looked back at the kitchen door, then turned to Rarity. "Spike's just a little kid. Being in the first class section of a five-star cruise ship-"

"Should be a learning experience for him!" Rarity was overreacting, she knew, but she really did find it unfair that Spike couldn't come. "He could learn how to act like a proper gentlecolt, and he won't go through that awful period of being a rude beast again! It-" Now it was Rarity's turn to have a hoof put to her lips. Twilight shook her head. "That's just it, Rarity," she said, moving her hoof away from the unicorn's mouth, "Spike is still learning. Having a little kid like him will get us in trouble eventually. Plus, you were right. He is a dragon. And even if he isn't a fire-spitting, house-burning, gem-stealing monster, he'll be seen that way by the ponies on board. You remember how all of those high class ponies act." Twilight got her answer in the form of a twitch in Rarity's eye as she recalled the fiasco that was the Grand Galloping Gala. The haughty behavior of the ponies present there had ruined the night for Rarity and her six friends, as their being from Ponyville made them laughable heathens to the high class ponies from Canterlot.

Twilight continued. "Spike probably wouldn't be allowed on the ship. They would see him as a fire hazard, or something. I hate it as much as you do, but I think it's best that Spike doesn't come."

Rainbow Dash finally broke the two unicorns' back-and-forth. "I hate to admit it, but I think Twilight's right. Spike probably wouldn't last the night without burning something. There's no point in arguing, no matter how much you want to dance with him under the stars." At this, Dash got up and began dancing on her hind legs with an invisible partner. Pinkie Pie eagerly filled in the positioned, and they began waltzing around the room.

Rarity blushed at Rainbow's accusation. "As much as it may seem," she stated haughtily, "I assure you, I have no feelings for dear Spike. He is a very close friend, and-" But she was cut off by Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie's dance as they stopped right next to her seat. Dash bent back, doing an impression of Rarity as she put a foreleg to her forehead. Her accent was flawless as she spoke. "Oh Spike. How could I have been so blind for so long? You're so perfect."

"Uh, Dash? Pinkie?"

Pinkie spoke in her best baritone voice. "My lady Rarity, I knew it was only a matter of time before you came around."

"Dash! Pinkie!"

'Rarity' wrapped an arm around 'Spike'. "Oh, darling! Kiss me!"

"RAINBOW DASH! PINKIE PIE!"

Both of them dropped the act and looked up at Twilight. She pointed toward the kitchen. Bothgirls blanched when they saw the bewildered face of Spike looking at them in disbelief. He stuttered something unintelligible before Rarity sprang into action. She laughed loudly and said, "Oh Rainbow Dash, that's hilarious! Do you really think that I could pull off something like that? Even if I found someone on the ship, I could never find Mr. Perfect, let alone dance with him under the stars! You mock me!" She wiped a fake tear from her eye, and Fluttershy joined in, giggling quietly to herself. Applejack slapped Dash on the back, and she and Pinkie fell to the floor. Twilight was the only one who wasn't playing along, sitting at her chair, silently sipping her tea and shooting glances between Rarity and Spike.

There was a brief moment of terrifying silence. Rarity's mind was racing. Dash, I swear on Luna's moon, if you've just ruined my friendship with Spike... But the cover played through. With a laugh, Spike headed back to the table. "I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Who was that supposed to be?" He stepped over Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, who were both blushing madly, and started picking up the empty dishes. Rarity didn't even flinch. "Oh," she said, waving a dismissive hoof, "Pinkie and Rainbow here had this insane notion that I might find my 'special somepony' on the cruise." Spike stopped, his eyes closed, and for a second panic flashed on his face. Then he continued collecting the dishes, snickering. "Well, by the looks of it, they expect you to fall in love with he first pony you meet! That is, unless Dash meant something when she picked her dancing partner." Everyone laughed at his wisecrack except Dash. Even Pinkie was giggling, still laying on top of Rainbow. "Hehe.... dancing partner..." Rainbow Dash pushed Pinkie Pie off of her, then got up and left without saying anything.

Pinkie Pie looked visibly upset. "Dashie, wait!" But Rainbow Dash had already left, leaving her ticket behind as well. Pinkie Pie grabbed Dash's ticket and headed toward the door. "Thanks for the ticket, Twilight! I'll have to give Dashie hers once I talk some sense into her." She waved and closed the door. She poked her head through the front window an dgave them a final message. "Oh, and Spike?" Spike looked up from the table. Pinkie grinned. "It's not your fault." Then she was gone.

The remaining five stared at the door for a minute, before Fluttershy mumbled something to Applejack. She nodded, and turned to the others. "Fluttershy just reminded me, ah have ta get back ta Big Mac and Apple Bloom. Ah need ta finish ma chores before ah do anything else. Ah'll talk ta y'all later, OK?" She got up and left, leaving Fluttershy alone at her side of the table.

At this point, Spike, who had been confused since he'd come back into the room, looked at Twilight. "Did I really insult her that bad?"

Twilight opened her mouth, but it was Fluttershy who answered. "Oh no, Spike. It isn't your fault, just like Pinkie said. Rainbow Dash just doesn't like being the center of a joke. It's an old problem of hers." She sighed and passed Spike her empty tea cup. "But she was right about one thing. The type of ponies there will be perfect for you, Rarity. You could easily find someone suited to your tastes." Spike faltered picking up the tea set.

Rarity glanced at him briefly. She laughed. "Oh please," she said, "I'm certain most of the colts there will be Prince Blueblood all over again if I try anything more than a conversation." Spike left the room. Rarity sighed, letting her guard down. "Of course," she added, "there may be somepony on that ship who could be kind enough. Somepony who feels out of place surrounded by the cream of the crop, even though they've dreamed of it for so long. Perhaps I could find him." Her monologue drifted into a sort of dreamy state as Rarity's eyes fogged over. "My soul mate..."

Her dreams were shattered by the sound of something breaking, followed by a shout of pain from the kitchen. Rarity snapped back into her proper position as Twilight rushed into the kitchen. Fluttershy squeaked again, and flew under the table. Rarity sat alone at the table for several moments. Then Twilight came back out, and, pulling Fluttershy out from under the table, she sat down again. She looked up at Rarity, and said, "He's fine. A teacup fell on his foot. Nothing serious."

Rarity got up from the table. "Well, it's getting late. I think I shall have to retire for the night. Thank you for the tea, Twilight. It was," she waved a hoof, "perfect." She headed toward the door.

Twilight followed her. "We can talk about the cruise later, I'm sure?" she asked.

Rarity turned to her. "Of course," she said. "The five of you are bound to come to the boutique sometime. You'll need dresses for the cruise of course. Can't just go to a party on board in old rags, now can you?" She winked, and Twilight smiled with relief. Rarity turned to Spike, who was walking out of the kitchen with a bandage wrapped around his foot. He was mumbling something incomprehensible to her. "Terribly sorry that you can't come with us on the cruise, Spike." she said. "If only that captain wasn't so stingy with the tickets."

Spike turned to her and shook his head. "Nah, forget it. Someone has to watch the library while Twilight's gone, and I'm the one who actually does the work around here." He started limping up the steps to his bedroom. When he reached the top of the steps, he turned back to her. "Just bring me back a sapphire or something." Then he left.

Rarity chuckled. She turned back to Twilight and Fluttershy, who had gotten up herself. "Well, I suppose I will say good night." And with that, she was gone.

Fluttershy turned to Twilight. "I guess I'll just go then... If you don't mind, of course." Twilight nodded. "I'll see you later, Fluttershy." Fluttershy smiled, then turned and left. Moving towards the stairs, Twilight took one last look at the remaining ticket on her desk. She smiled, then went up to her room to find something to read.


------------

Rarity closed the door to her shop, and went straight up to her bed. She was surprised at how tired she seemed, even though she hadn't been very busy that day. You'll be very busy in the next couple of days, though. Six entire ensemble for a one week five-star cruise. The Gala dresses were hard enough. She dismissed the thoughts of work from her head. All she wanted to think about right now was her large soft bed.

After getting prepared for a good night's sleep, Rarity slipped into bed. As the enchanting spell of sleep claimed her, her last coherent thought was the question that had gnawed at the back of her head the entire time at Twilight's house:


Why not?