• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 2,524 Views, 26 Comments

Second Chances at a New Story - Vulpibard



Kyle Orin, while on his deathbead, encounters a strange being who sends him on some "second chance" at life to a world he though was only in a popular TV series, Equestria.

  • ...
7
 26
 2,524

Chapter Three

After I finished telling Luna about the concept of a tube that tightly holds onto any hooves put into it, I walked off with my guards to find my room. We traveled pretty far in silence before I got bored, I looked down at the two stallions. Were they stallions? I guessed so, they appeared by all means to be, but then how would Celestia find so many white male guards? And if they weren't all white, surely their original color wasn't the only thing hidden.

"So, royal guards of Trollestia, huh?"

The guard on my right paused for a beat, but shook it off and kept moving.

"It's Celestia."

"Ah," I nodded sagely, "So royal guards of Celestia, how hard was that to do?"

"That's not important," The guard on my left commented this time, "We did it for the safety of Equestria, not because it was easy."

I fought back a snicker as we rounded a corner.

"So for the safety of Equestria? I was under the impression Celestia was the most powerful here, why would she need guards?"

There was a clatter behind us and we all spun on the spot, guards with their spears lowered, me ready to run the other way. But nothing was there but an upset suit of armor, a maid ran in and began picking it up and muttered something about drafts in the castle. Turning back around, we continued our trek.

"You weren't here yesterday, an army invaded while our guard was down, and Celestia was defeated by it's leader."

"Oh, I think I saw some of that! Were you that one guard cowering in the alley?"

The soldier rounded on me with a glare that could kill. Funny story about those, I just smiled back at them.

"It must be pretty hard for an earth pony to defend against things stronger than an alicorn, no one blames you."

The guard to the right lunged forward, but lefty held him back with a hoof.

"We admit it is, but in this world those who stand together are stronger than any odds, if we were all like that guard, you'd be right."

The soldier turned around and lead the both of us down the hall to large double doors.

"This is your room, we'll be waiting outside if you need anything."

The guards posted themselves on either side of the doors as they swung open.

My jaw dropped.

Inside was perfectly circular, white walls reached roughly fifteen feet high and were covered by shelves and dressers. In the middle was a large and round four poster bed piled high with mattresses and sheets. On the far side were two doors, one was open so I could see a balcony through it, and the other I guessed was either a closet or a bathroom.

Hearing a snicker to my right, I snapped my jaw shut and trotted into the room. Pretentiously flipping a few of the sheets, I turned to the dressers along the wall.

“It’s a mess in here,” I muttered just loud enough for my guards to hear.

They didn’t react so I just shrugged and closed the doors. Making sure they were completely shut, I turned and umped into my bed. rolling around a bit in it's softness before sitting up to process my facts.

First; I was in Equestria.

Second; The reason I was here was because some guy named 'Deus Ex Machina' has plans for me.

Third; Celestia isn't a main character of whatever strange story the ginger book nerd put me in.

I double checked that fact, it may be true, but may not at the same time. I didn't have much interaction with her, but what's to say I won't?

Fourth; This is most likely a story because my 'savior' used the name Deus, but he may be just messing with me.

And fifth; The guard out there was talkative, really talkative, for a pony guard.

I jumped from my bed and walked back to the door, raising a hoof to open it but thinking better of it and running back to the balcony. It was pretty late into the night judging by the moons position, that explained why neither of the sisters were busy. Averting my gaze from the stars, I admired the view of the castle gardens. I didn't see anything over the walls and it was probably planned that way. wouldn't want a potential threat to have a good layout of the capitol.

Well, the inner garden wasn't much to look at, just a bunch of flowers and rich nobles with their noses in the air. The walls and buildings in the inner baily were little better.

The inner bailey? Maybe I can see the inner keep!

And yep, there it was, a clear view right across the bailey, how did I miss that? The keep was flanked by two large towers, the sun and the moon no doubt.

And I was right! the tower to the right of the keep was colored gold and white. The windows had golden panes and on the top was a sun symbol. On my right was a scene a lot more easy on the eyes, not least for the cooler colors and practical architecture. On the top balcony I could see Luna looking over the castle through a telescope. She was so busy looking around she didn't notice me stare.

Why was she looking down at the city rather than up at her own creation? Heck if I knew, but I could help but admire what I saw. A sleek, dark blue build, Soft curves leading up to the round front, long fine legs.

I really needed a telescope like that, I swear it was making my mouth water. Shaking my head sadly, I turned back into my room and smoothed out my bed sheets.

Do alicorns even sleep? Well obviously, other wise they wouldn't have given me a room. I jumped in bed with no regard for my safety and pretty soon was passed out.


"Welcome back 'Phasma'"

I opened my eyes a pinch at the painfully familiar voice to look around the cement room from earlier. Across the table, rather than the gangly man I saw before, was a sandy coated alicorn with an amber mane.

"Deus?" I asked

"Guilty as charged," He answered, "Now we don't have much time so here're the facts, I need you in Equestria, and you need you in Equestria."

I nodded and bit back a yawn.

"Yes, you told me that earlier, but why?"

"I have my reasons, you focus on yours. You didn't exactly finish what you wanted in your past life, I mean sure you got a lot done, but isn't life more than that?"

He began pacing as he ranted, my eyes followed him, the only thing moving in my bemused face.

"If you're going to tell me to make friends so help me-"

"No no, that would be obvious even to you, I was going to say you needed to use those skills you learned."

"I did!"

"On something other than MMOs and strategy games."

"Touché, carry on."

he should have no problem with that, The alicorn smiled.

"Nothing to carry on about, I just wanted you to know that Equestria will be needing your skills soon."

"And what do you care about Equestria?"

"I have my reasons," Deus spun in a circle, "And we're done here, just one more thing."

The room began fading away as he kept talking.

"Those guard outside your room are changelings that hung around, but you already knew that, didn't you?"

My vision went black as I fell asleep for the third time that day. It was kind of grating on my nerves, can't he just teleport me with his crazy power? Also changelings, I didn't know that, I just thought they were talkative, thank you Deus.