• Published 30th May 2013
  • 2,533 Views, 40 Comments

Ink - Cyanjames2819



A human teen was accidentally transported to a strange world of ponies. Will he get back home in one piece, or will he stay in Equestria with the timid pony known as Fluttershy.

  • ...
8
 40
 2,533

Chapter 7: Swop

The next day, I practiced and played my new fiddle to pass the morning hours. There wasn't much to do.

I played my fiddle in my room, making music notes on papers so I could remember them when I forget.

Birds were at the window, looking in my room, listening to my music playing. And I noticed few animals at the door as well.

By lunch, I wrote down forty tunes that I could remember, I was just lucky enough to remember all of them.

One of the tunes though I wrote down myself. The only people who know this song are me, a few beginner players and two of my fiddle teachers. It's a catchy tune, well, to me anyways.

When I played it, the animals seem to like it. When I hear the music, all I could say is that it's colorful.

"That was very good Winter" I heard a gentle voice. I looked over my shoulder and saw Fluttershy coming in the room with Angel bunny on her back, munching down on a carrot. "Oh, I call it 'The Bunny Hop. In my traditional language though, I call it 'Qiggiqta Ukali" I said in my first language and started to put away my fiddle.

"You know another language?" she asked and went up beside me. I nodded, "Yes, Inuktitut, my first language" I said to her and zipped up the case.

I turned to her, "So what are we going to have for lunch?" I asked. "Oh, I-I was thinking of going to Sugar Cube Corner" she answered. "Okay, sure" I agreed, grabbed my hat and glasses and followed her out.

As we were walking, Fluttershy decided to break the silence, "Um, Cheerilee is trying to find musicians to teach her students how to play instruments" she said to me. I looked at her, "Really?" my interest perked up. "Yes. We could go to her school if you want after lunch" she said. "Yeah sure. I love teaching beginners" I said happily.

After lunch and meeting with the energetic pony known as Pinkie Pie, we started going towards the school.

As we got there, I wasn't expecting to see a small building with a playground. Well the playground was understandable, but I had a hard time understanding on how small the building was.

I opened the little fence and I saw three familiar faces run up to me, "Hi Winter!" they greeted me happily. "Hey there!" I crouched down, "So how's the Crusading going?" I asked. "Meh" Scootaloo replied. I chuckled, "Well keep on searching, I'm sure you'll find your Cutie marks someday" I said to the three.

"So watcha' doin' here?" Applebloom asked. "To speak to your teacher about something" I answered. "About what?" Sweetie Belle asked. "You'll see" I smiled and stood up, "See you three later" I said. "Later!" the three said in unison.

"So, Winternight. You're saying you play the fiddle?" Cheerilee said, sitting at her desk. "Yes Miss Cheerilee" I answered with a smile. "Would it be okay if you can demonstrate after school?" she asked. "Okay, what time?" I said. "Three o-clock. A few more others will be here as well" she answered. "Okay, I'll bring my fiddle along" I said to her and shook her hoof.

I practice for a few hours, getting ready to play and show the young colts and fillies how to play the siren music of the fiddle.

I was outside the school, holding onto my fiddle case to my side. There were a few more other ponies waiting as well. There was an orange stallion with a guitar on his back, a grey pony with a black main had a case that stood higher than her on her side and three more others with different instruments.

I went up to the grey pony and tapped her shoulder. She turned around and was a little surprised by how big and tall I was. "Oh, h-hi there" she greeted me nervously.

I got crouched down to eye level, "Hi, I'm Winternight" I introduced myself with a smile. "Oh, hello Winternight, my name is Octavia" we shook.

I looked at the tall case, "So what do you play?" I asked. "The Cello" she answered. "Whoa, that's cool" I answered. "How about you?" she asked. I bring up my case in front of me, "Its little cousin, the Fiddle" I answered. "Fiddle? Oh, the Violin, that's nice" she remembered.

"Sorry, but I don't play violin, I play country music" I said to her. "That's nice. I'm sure a few colts and fillies would love to hear you play it" she said to me. "That's where I'm aiming" I answered.

Then the entrance door opened and Cheerilee appeared, "Okay, time to come in" she said and went back in. I looked back at Octavia, "Good luck" I said, patted her on the shoulder and stood. "You too" she replied and we all started to go in the little school.

First to play was the guitar player, then the flout, Octavia and her cello, the harmonica player, the accordion, and finally me.

I got up front, rested my instrument on my shoulder and tested a few tones to make sure everything was in tune. "I'm going to be playing the fiddle. Some of you might think 'No it's not, that's a violin' but" I pointed my finger up while holding onto the bow, "There's a difference in playing a violin and a fiddle" I rested my bow on the strings. "I play country music" I said and started playing 'Old Joe Clark.

I tapped my foot to keep tract of my beets and made sure I was smiling while I was playing.

When I finished, the students clapped and clopped on their desks like they did with the others.

I got back to my spot and Octavia whispered to me, "Nice job Winter". I looked down. "Thanks" I replied.

"Now students" Cheerilee started, "Go stand by what instrument you would want to play and learn" she finished. All the fillies and colts then started going to their choice of teachers. I was a little surprised that none of them went to me, but then one went up to me with a bright smile.

I smiled back and crouched down, "Hey Applebloom" I patted her on the head. "Howdy Winter" she greeted me back. "So you want to play the fiddle?" I asked. "Yeah, ah love how it sounded" she said happily. "Well, one is better than nothing and we're going to have a lot of fun" I said to her.

Then next day, Cheerilee told the mayor what instruments they need and how many. We were all outside the school, not enough room inside obviously.

I sat down on my knees and move the case in front of me. Applebloom had her own little pink case and opened it up. "First thing to learn is how to hold it" I said and took out my fiddle. "You rest it on your shoulder and put your chin on the chinrest to hold it in place, like this" I said to her and showed how to do it.

She sat up and took out the little fiddle from its case. She copied me, "Like this?" she showed me. I nodded, "Yup and you hold the neck" I said to her.

"Now the strings" I said and kept on showing her what names the fiddle parts have.

After an hour, we started to practice how to play 'Twinkle Little Star. She was a fast learner, like I was when I first played the fiddle.

I got her a sponge for her fiddle, held by an elastic band, so she won't feel the hard wood irritate her shoulder and neck. Then I taped little lines on the neck of the fiddle so she knows where to put her hoof when playing.

In no time, she remembered twinkle little star and started playing another song.

At the end of school, Cheerilee told us we will be performing in a concert in five days. I crouched down next to Applebloom, "Excited?" I asked. "Um, a little nervous, actually" she shrunk her body a little. I chuckled, "I was too with my first concert playing, but I was more excited playing then being laughed at" I said to her.

I looked at her, "Do you like playing the fiddle?" I asked. "Of course ah do" she perked up like the question just offended her. "Then just have fun in the concert, don't think about the crowd" I assured her. She nodded happily and perked up.

"Okay students, you can practice at your homes with your instruments, but please be careful with them" Cheerilee said. "Yay" Applebloom cheered silently and started putting the fiddle back in her case.

I quickly grabbed a folded piece of paper in my pocket and went up to Applebloom. "Hey Applebloom, I got something for you to practice on" I said to her and showed the paper to her.

She looked at it for a moment and took it, "What is it?" she asked. "A song no one else know about except for me, Fluttershy and now you" I said to her. "Really!?" she said happily and carefully put the paper in her case.

We got to the little fence, "See you tomorrow Applebloom" I bid goodbye. "Ya too Winter" she said cheerfully and we parted ways.

I got back to the cottage and saw Fluttershy in the chicken fence, feeding the chickens.

"Hey Shy! I'm back!" yelled from the door. "Oh" she flew up over the fence and went up to me while flying eye level. "Hi Winter, how was practice?" she asked. "Great, Applebloom's a fast learner and pretty good" I said with a smile. "How about you? How was your afternoon?" I asked. "Okay" she answered.

"Need any help?" I asked. "Um, you could entertain the sick little bunny in the cottage, laughter is important for curing sick animals" she said. "Okay, I'll try my best" I saluted and went in.

After entertainment and dinner, I decided to take a stroll round Ponyville.

I got to the entrance, put on my shoes and looked back, "I'll be back in an hour" I said. Fluttershy popped her head out of kitchen; "Okay" she replied and went back in the kitchen.

I got out and the sun started to set under the horizon.

I got out of Ponyville again on a path. "Okay what songs do me and Applebloom should do on the concert" I said to myself while walking.

A moment later, I found myself in the middle of a large patch of blue flowers on the path. "Oh, wow, they're beautiful" I picked one up and smelled it. It didn't smell much, but still looked pretty stunning.

I looked up at the sky and the stars were shining brightly in the night sky. "I should head back" I said to myself and dropped the flower.

Then I felt rushing air behind me and a few trotting hooves. I looked back and was greeted by the Princess of the Night. "Greetings Winter" she went up beside me with a smile. "Hey Luna, how are you?" I greeted her back and walked alongside her. "Splendid, and yours?" she asked. "Good" I answered.

"So are you having fun playing with your instrument?" she asked. "Very. There'll be a concert here in Ponyvill in five days. I and Applebloom will be playing our fiddles" I said to her.

"Five days, on Happy Bunny Day?" she said to me. "Bunny day? What's that?" I asked. "A holiday where ponies hide chocolate or candy eggs and little fillies and colts try and find them" she answered. "Hm, sounds like Easter" I said, "Oh man, I have the perfect song to play in the concert now!" I said happily.

"Well, I most go now, have a goodnight Winter" she spread her wings. "Goodnight to you too Luna, see you later" I bid goodbye and she flew off.

As I got to the little bridge near the cottage, my body started to feel a little weird. It was warming up, but it also felt so cold. I got in and took off my shoes. I looked around and saw Fluttershy at the stairs. "Hey Shy" I greeted and took off my hat and hung it up on the coat hanger. "Hello Winter, I was about to go to bed" she said. "Just in time I guess" I said and went up to her.

I took off my clothing and wore my shorts in Fluttershy's room and went in the bed with her. "Goodnight Shy" I moved my body to face her. "Goodnight" she said sleepily.

I closed my eyes and went into comatose instantly. Then I felt my body reshape itself, but I just thought I was going unconscious.

Author's Note:

Muhahahahahahahahahahahaaa! What the hell did I do to Winter!
If you want to find out, please comment and I shoulder post the next chapter within an hour or sooner tonight.
Till next time, have a good day and good reading.