• Published 29th May 2013
  • 4,506 Views, 22 Comments

Secrets - Robobrony



Theres a new unicorn in town with a secret to hide.

  • ...
2
 22
 4,506

The New Arrival

Chapter 1: The Newcomer

It was another beautiful sunny summer day in Ponyville, every citizen was going about their business with cheerful smiles on their faces, unaware of a new pony in town. It was a unicorn stallion, he was the only one going about without a smile on his face, but he wasn’t really sad either. He had a dark grey coat, a black mane and tail, and a paintbrush and easel for a cutie mark. On his back was a pair of grey saddle bags. He had just entered town to try and find a new place to live, he hoped he had the bits to get a house in town but since he was new, he had no idea where the town hall was.

He trudged along, unaware of a pink pony that was skipping by in the opposite direction, she was an earth pony with a pink coat, a darker shade of pink in her poofy mane and tail, and had three balloons for a cutie mark. She stopped when she noticed the unicorn walking along and quickly darted in front of him. “OH MY GOSH, your new in town aren’t you I’m Pinkie Pie and I know every pony in Ponyville so you must be new whats your name, WAIT, if your new then you must not have any friends I just have to throw you a welcome to Ponyville party you just have to come to sugar cube corner later for your party see you later bye!” The pink pony spoke so fast the unicorn couldn’t understand her, he was also in a bit of shock at the sudden encounter.

“What the hay was that? I just hope the rest of the ponies in this town aren’t as crazy. I’d better ask some pony for directions to town hall.” The unicorn then continued on his way and stopped at a flower stall being run by an off white earth pony with a red mane and tail and a rose for a cutie mark.

“Hello, I’m Roseluck, welcome to my flower stand, what can I get you?” She asked rather nicely.
The unicorn could already tell she was friendly by her greeting, or maybe it was just her professional courtesy coming into play.

He forgot about that and asked her what he needed. “I’m wondering if you can give me directions to town hall, I’m new here and don’t know my way around.”

The mare smiled as she answered. “Well, welcome to Ponyville sir, town hall is just down this road, it’s the big building at the center of town. You can’t miss it.”

The unicorn gave his thanks. “Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.” The unicorn then made his way to the center like the mare told him. He found the building right where Roseluck told him, it was a large round building, easily the biggest one in town. The unicorn made his way inside and went up to the receptionist. She had a hot pink coat and a green mane and tail. Her cutie mark was not visible from behind the desk she sat at.

“Hello, welcome to town hall, what can I do for you?” The earth pony mare asked.

“Hello, I’m hoping to move here in town, do you have any houses available for purchase?”

“You’ll need to speak to the mayor about that, she is available right now if you’d like to see her.”

“Thank you, I would please.”

“Very well, follow me.” The mare then got out from behind her desk and led the unicorn to the mayor’s office. “Mayor Mare, there is a pony here who wishes to speak to you about purchasing a house.”

The mayor was a tan colored earth pony with a grey mane and tail, glasses, and a white collar with a green bit of cloth poofed out in front. She had a scroll with a green ribbon wrapped around it for a cutie mark. “AH yes, do come in.” The receptionist left and the unicorn walked in. “Welcome, how can I help you today?” The mayor asked.

“I’m interested in purchasing a house in town, do you have any available?” The unicorn asked.

“Why yes, you’re in luck, we do have one house available. The previous owner left in such a rush they left their furniture behind, so it will already come with furnishings. Whatever you don’t like, you could always just sell it and replace them with what you do like. The house is currently priced at 2000 bits.”

The unicorn was glad to hear that, he had more than enough for it. “Sounds perfect, I’ll take it, where is it located?”

Mayor Mare then brought out the deed, a map, and a few forms. “Before that, I’ll need you to sign some forms. The map is free for all new residents of Ponyville to help them get around.”

The unicorn then used the quill provided to sign the forms, then brought out a bag of bits from his saddle bags for payment for the house. “There you go.”

The mayor smiled with satisfaction once the transaction was complete. “Thank you Mr. Star, and welcome to Ponyville.”

“Midnight is fine, so where is my house located?”

Mayor Mare then opened the map and pointed out the location of his new house. “It’s right here, 108 Saddle St. It’s next door to our town’s local dress shop called the Carousel Boutique.”

Midnight Star grumbled on the inside that he would be living next to a dress shop, but he figured it might not be too bad, so he let it go. He took the deed and map and set them in his saddle bags. “Thank you.” He left the office and made his way to his new home.

Thanks to his new map, it didn’t take Midnight long to find his new home. It was a two story building. “Looks good on the outside, hope it’s just as good inside.” He went inside and was pleasantly surprised to see it was indeed fully furnished, it had a couch, tables, chairs, a refrigerator, a stove and a nice carpet on the first floor. “Not bad, a bit of rearranging and I could use the living room for my art studio.” He then went upstairs to check out the second floor. The second floor looked to be strictly a bedroom, it already had a bed there, and a bathroom on the other side of the room. “Nice, looks like I lucked out here.” He went over to the window to look at the view. “Even has a good view of the town. I just hope I can make a good life for myself here.”

Suddenly, there was a knocking at the front door. “What the hay, that’s odd, I wonder who would be knocking on a house that’s supposed to be empty?” He thought to himself. He made his way downstairs and to the front door. Upon answering the door, he was greeted by a Pegasus mare with a grey coat, a blonde mane and tail, bubbles for a cutie mark, and yellow eyes that seemed to be unable to see straight.

“Good day sir, Derpy Hooves of Ponyville Post office at your service. I have a letter for you.”

Midnight Star was shocked at this. “WHAT, how can I have mail, I literally just now moved in, how can anypony already know I’m here?”

Derpy just stared at him with her unfocused eyes. “Beats me, I just deliver the mail, hey, if you just moved in, then your new in town aren’t you? Welcome to Ponyville sir, since it’s my job to deliver the mail, we’ll be seeing each other often, do you want to be friends?” She asked with a big smile on her face.

Midnight stared at her. “Sorry, but I’m not looking for friends. What’s this letter you had for me?”

Derpy blinked. “Oh right, your letter, here you go.” She then reached into a brown saddle bag she had on and produced a letter.

Midnight levitated it out of her hooves and read who it was addressed to. Sure enough, it had his new address on it and said it was to the new unicorn in town with the dark grey coat and black mane and tail. He eyed the envelope curiously before opening it. The letter read this.

“To the new pony in town. Sorry I didn’t ask for your name earlier but I was too excited to set up your welcome to Ponyville part to ask. Your welcoming party is all set, please come by Sugarcube Corner for lots of fun, games, and food, you’ll get to make lots of friends in no time. Your new friend, Pinkie Pie.”

“Pinkie Pie, who’s Pinkie Pie?”

Derpy smiled big after hearing the letter. “So you’re the new pony who Pinkie is throwing that party for, wow, this is great, we can go together, what do ya say, come on lets head over there now and have some fun!”

Midnight Star furrowed his brow at Derpy. “Sorry, but I’m not interested in making friends, or going to this party. All I want is to live the rest of my life in peace, good day.” He then just slammed the door in Derpy’s face. Midnight then crumbled up the letter in his magic grasp of grey aura and threw it away in a nearby trash bin.

Derpy was very sad at the way he just rejected her like that, she knew Pinkie wasn’t going to like this bit of news either that the new pony didn’t want any friends. She just turned away and headed for Sugarcube Corner to deliver the bad news to Pinkie.

“What do you mean he’s not coming?”

“Just what I said, he’s not coming. After he read your letter, he seemed to get upset, after I told him that we could come together and make a lot of friends he got mad and said he wasn’t interested in making friends. Then he slammed the door in my face.” Derpy just finished explaining to Pinkie why Midnight Star wasn’t coming.

Pinkie was upset about this. “I don’t get it, why would some pony not want to have friends, it doesn’t make any sense.”

A light purple unicorn came up to Pinkie to try and comfort her. She had a very dark blue mane and tail with a violet and pink streak through them, she also had a dark pink six pointed star with five small white sparkles around it for a cutie mark. “I’m sorry Pinkie, but some ponies are like that, remember how Cranky was when he first came to town, he didn’t want any friends either.”

Pinkie then smiled big as she was struck with inspiration. “That’s it Twilight, I just need to find some way to get him to warm up to me. I just know I can get him to smile and change his mind about friends.”

Another Pegasus pony then approached her, this one had a sky blue coat with a rainbow mane and tail and a rainbow lightning bolt shooting out of a cloud for a cutie mark. “I don’t think that’s what she meant Pinkie, I think what she meant was that he’s just one of those ponies who doesn’t want any friends and you should just let him be.”

Pinkie turned to her and patted her on the head. “Oh Rainbow Dash, don’t be silly, of course he wants friends, he just doesn’t know it yet, and I’m the pony to help him realize it.” Pinkie Pie was determined to make a new friend out of the new pony, nothing was going to deter her.

Midnight Star was going about his new house making mental notes of all he would need to get. The house may have furniture, but it lacked utensils, plates, and other various house hold items. “I hope there’s a place that rents carts, no way I’ll be able to carry all I’ll need for this place in my saddle bags.” He brought out his map of the town and went over it. The stores were all clearly marked. “Good, looks like there’s a cart rental nearby.” Before he could leave, he heard a knocking on his door. “Now what, I just moved in and already I’m getting letters and guests, how does news of a new pony in town travel so fast?”

He went over to his door and was greeted by a bouncing pink pony. “Hi there, I’m Pinkie Pie, remember me?”

Midnight furrowed his brow. “You’re Pinkie?! So you’re the one who sent me that invitation to a party right?”

Pinkie smiled big. “Yep, that’s me, why didn’t you come, parties are always fun and you can make lots of friends.”

“How did you even know I just moved in here, I literally just bought this place today and haven’t even been in this house for an hour and you manage to send me a letter to a party! How did you do that?”

“I have my ways, so come on, what are you waiting for, let’s go party.”

Midnight was getting very annoyed with this pink pony. “Look miss,”

Pinkie cut him off. “Oh silly, you can just call me Pinkie, all of my friends do.” She gave him a sly look as she moved her eyelids up and down.

Midnight continued. “Look MISS, I’m just not interested in parties or friends, now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get some things for my new home so I can settle in.” He then just pushed his way past Pinkie and continued on.

Pinkie wasn’t smiling then after that, but then was struck with an idea. “I know what will put a smile on his face.” She rushed off with a plan.

About an hour later after some shopping around, Midnight now had a cart full of things for his house, he was on his way back when the same pink pony came up beside him with a pink and white cart. “HEY new guy, what do you think, you like my wagon, it’s my welcome wagon, I use it to welcome new folks to town.”

“Don’t you ever give up, get lost, I don’t want any friends.” He practically glared at her.

“You just gotta at least let me give you the welcome that comes with it.” She gave him such a pout, it was impossible for him to refuse.

He groaned in annoyance. “UGH, FINE, just get it over with.”

Pinkie smiled so big, she then pushed a button on her wagon, it opened up to reveal colorful flags and horns coming out and an oven at the center. Music then started to play and Pinkie started to sing.

“Welcome, welcome, welcome, a fine welcome to you! Welcome, welcome, welcome, I say how do you do!” Pinkie then blew a horn right in Midnight’s ear. “Welcome, welcome, welcome, I say hip hip hooray, welcome, welcome, welcome to Ponyville todaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!” She held that last note a bit. “Wait for it.” Suddenly the oven shot out confetti and the horns at the top shot out cake batter that splattered all over the two.

“WHAT THE HAY!?” Midnight Star was very upset now.

Pinkie just laughed. “Oopsie, I did it again, why can’t I ever remember to put the cake in the oven and the confetti in the confetti cannons?”

Midnight was fuming. “LOOK HERE YOU! I HAVE NO INTEREST WHAT SO EVER IN BEING YOUR FRIEND!”

Pinkie was a little scared now. “But, why, why don’t you want any friends, don’t you want to be happy?”

Midnight could tell she was going to be persistent, he used his magic to clean himself off from the cake batter and then continued to glare at her. “You want to know why I don’t want any friends? Because if you knew my past, you wouldn’t want to be my friend. If you got to know me better, then you wouldn’t want to be my friend and it would ruin my life, so GET LOST!” He then just stormed off, leaving behind a Pinkie on the verge of tears.

“But……why would his past be a problem? Why would he be afraid of me finding out?” Pinkie just slowly walked away, she still thought there would be a way to get through to him, there just had to be a way, if she could just show him that she wouldn’t care what his past was, then maybe he would open up and accept her as a friend.

Pinkie then decided to go to Twilight to see if she might have any ideas. She got to the library and walked in. “Twilight, I need your help.”

Twilight was reading one of her books when Pinkie walked in. She turned her attention away from her book to speak with Pinkie. “What is it Pinkie, what’s wrong?”

“It’s the new pony, I found out why he doesn’t want any friends and it sounds serious, I was hoping you might have some ideas on what I could do to help him open up. His reason sounds real serious and I think it will take all of us to get him to open up.”

“Still determined as ever huh Pinkie, what did he say when you last saw him?”

“He said the reason he doesn’t have any friends is because if we knew his past, then we wouldn’t want to be his friend, I think he’s afraid of something. There must be something we can do to help him.”

“Afraid, why would he be afraid of telling us about his past? It must be something serious, now even I’m curious about it. Don’t worry Pinkie, we’ll think of something. If it is as bad as you say, then he must really be hurting inside and is afraid to let others close.” Because of Pinkie’s words, even she wanted to try and get Midnight Star to open up, her curiosity had gotten the better of her, and now she wanted to know what he was hiding. This could prove to be a big mistake.

Author's Note:

Hello my little readers, I need to point out that the main idea behind this story was given to me by shadowrider89 on fanfiction.net. He came up with the main idea and said I could write it. We tossed some ideas around and came up with this, since I'm writing it, I get to decide how the story progresses. enjoy.