• Published 2nd Jun 2013
  • 15,836 Views, 1,431 Comments

Guilt of a Phantom - Powerdrainer



Danny Phantom, Terror of Amity Park. Blamed for the murder of one closest to him, Danny runs away in an attempt to rebuild his life. But disaster is always close behind, as a horrible truth lost to time demands to be heard.

  • ...
70
 1,431
 15,836

PreviousChapters Next
...On a Planet Far, Far Away

This chapter has been edited by Clayton the Hunter, Halusm, and partially by Vates Despero.

...On a Planet Far, Far Away.

<<>><<>><<>>

"There is so much knowledge; experience, memories here," Eclipse gasped, struggling to wrap her mind around the increasing influx of Nightmare Moon's memories.

"Centuries, millennia," she said, awed. "You were older than the Princesses. You don't even belong on this world."

"Nor do you!" Nightmare Moon replied, and Eclipse's eyes widened as she turned to look at the dark mare behind her; a mirror image, save for their eyes.

"What!? How can this be? You were destroyed!"

"Oh, I was. I can assure you. But I am still a part of you, and so I will live on, if only through your memories."

Eclipse frowned as she secured her stance, glaring at her former half. "Why are you here?" She demanded.

"Oh, I'm sure by now you have figured it out. My memories. My actions. My dream. The dream I created to drain the ape's power." Eclipse's eyes widened. "So, you did figure it out."

"That, in your failure, you planted a thought in Twilight's mind, and played Danny's to bring them together? Yes, I did."

"Hmmm…" Nightmare Moon hummed devilishly. "So what are you going to do about it?"

"What?" Eclipse asked, taken aback.

"What are you going to do about it?" Nightmare Moon repeated. "It was by my doing that those two have been growing closer and closer. Surely you can't allow this to continue, this false affection. This fake love?"

"The only reason you did this was to crush Twilight's heart by making her fall for Danny, and then have him reveal his ghost self. With you gone, this is no longer a threat to them."

"So, you'll allow them to remain?" Nightmare Moon chuckled maliciously. "You will allow this fake feeling to blossom into something more? Why, just because I am gone? Or is it to allow dear Twilight to fill the gaping hole left behind by Sam's death?"

Eclipse didn't answer.

"So, who amongst us is truly evil? I never denied what I am. But you, you allow this to continue. And in doing so, you will deliver my final blow. My revenge."

"I would never!"

"Oh, but you will. Either you undo what I have done, and Danny will lose interest in Twilight. Leaving her with a growing affection, which Danny will never answer. Or you allow them to grow closer and closer, only for her heart to break when Danny's true self is revealed to the world. No matter the choice you make, at least I have gotten my vengeance on Twilight Sparkle," she spat the name. Then a wicked grin replaced her look of disgust.

"Have fun with that, my precious daughter. Make Mommy proud." And Nightmare Moon faded away, her laughter the last to vanish while Eclipse stood frozen on the spot, conflicted.

"No!" she whispered. "No!" She stated more firmly. "Despite what you have done. Despite your influence in their lives. Their feelings are still their own. And when Danny is revealed, Twilight and the world will accept him for who he is!"

She was met with silence as she tried not to let doubt taint her resolve. Contemplating her actions, as well as Nightmare Moon's, she continued to sift through the dark mare's memories of her extensive 'life’.

"There is so much knowledge, experience, memories," Eclipse murmured. "... and so much hate within it all."

<<>><<>><<>>

Luna was restless. Very much so. It had only been a few hours since her sister shook her from that horrid… well, not a dream for sure, but neither was it a nightmare. Yet the longer she tried to place it, to figure out what it was, the more it slipped away.

It was truly frustrating. She could sense it lingering in her mind, just out of reach. And with each passing moment, more and more details of what she had seen vanished until, as was now the case, nothing remained save the feeling that she had seen something horrible… and very important. But what?

Thankfully she was at least able to tell her sister what she had seen. But even those details were vague, blurry, and lost in an obscuring haze. And after she had confided in Celestia, Luna found that she herself could not recall any of what she had said. This was worrying. Very worrying. It served to confirm that what had happened, what was revealed to her was no mere dream; bad or otherwise.

Fortunately Celestia didn't seem to be having the same trouble she herself had in remembering, and everything she had told her was quickly written down, and which was now the main focus of the two sisters as they searched any likely book in their extensive library. Yet despite the many books they searched through nothing could be found relating to, or even hinting at, what Luna had described. And with night having claimed the land, and the two monarchs having put the sun to rest and the moon out to shine its light over the slumbering lands, Celestia had difficulties focusing on the words before her; the troubles of the day having sapped most of her energy already.

At Luna's insistent urging, she reluctantly agreed to retire for the night and continue their search for an answer as soon as she was able. Luna, however, was wide awake and fully alert, and wasted little time continuing scouring book after book. Even going so far as to cancel night court. Though it was not likely there would be anypony coming to begin with. But there was another reason for her almost frantic search. A lingering thought, one that didn't fade away into the all-obscuring fog.

A thought.

A name.

A name the likes of which she had never heard before.

A name distilling fear, anger, and hate.

A name which chilled her to the core, even if she didn't know why.

Fenrir.

<<>><<>><<>>

A long time ago, on a planet far, far away.

Life.

Death.

The two constants of their world.

Life, a gift to all.

Death, a promise to all.

There were those who hunted and killed; predators to some.

There were also those who were hunted and killed; prey to others.

This was the world's balance. Two constants, before which all were equal. But some did not accept this.

Some sought ways to cheat the constants. To live, but not die. At least, not by any means other than age. And if at all possible, not even age as well.

It started out as ideals. A goal to strive for. Then it became an obsession, living for nothing but their shared longing.

They sought out others who shared their beliefs, longings, and drive. Striking down all who opposed them.

Life.

Death.

The two constants of their world.

Life, a gift to all.

Death, a promise to all.

A promise of the Kadzite.

A promise of Fenrir.

<<>><<>><<>>

A gentle breeze blew over the grassy plains, sending ripples through the green blanket covering the ground. A clear blue sky allowed the sun to shine down with its warming light, casting shadows wherever it struck a tree.

Shadows were also moving through the plain, as young wolves ran after one another. Barking and yelping playfully as they chased after each other.

Larger wolves, standing on their hindlegs, their broad upper bodies casting large shadows on the ground, stood and watched the young ones play; laughing over the pups’ antics while keeping an eye out for any danger sneaking up on them.

A small herd of deer-like creatures, whose antlers were similar to those of a goat and with much longer tails, were calmly grazing near the plain's edge, and close to the forest they called home. Aware that the wolves were not out hunting they knew that, at least for the moment, it was safe for them to do so.

Several miles further back behind the wolves, small columns of smoke could be seen rising up in the sky, indicating the burning of their settlement's fire pits; and the preparation of their next meal for the approaching night; the sun slowly lowering from its peak.

And if one had an especially sharp eye, they could see Sköll, the sun chaser and the second of the Three, watching over them all while guiding the sun into night. A task entrusted to him since the dawn of time, and joined by his brothers Nuntis, who calls upon the sun and day, and Fenris, who calls forth the moon and night.

For as long as any could remember, they have watched, protected, and maintained the cycle of day, night, and the constants.

Nuntis, with fur as white as snow and red eyes which seemed to glow with the sun's fire would call forth the sun, starting the day, and providing the lands with the light to nourish life.

Sköll, a golden brown wolf who represented the land upon which all things lived and flourished, would lead the sun through the sky while watching over all he came across.

Fenris, a wolf with fur as black as night, and eyes to match. His task was to call forth the moon, while his brother, Nuntis would call after the sun as it lowered, allowing night to settle down over a world weary and worn.

They were the Three. Wolves who maintained the cycle and constants. Larger, stronger, older, and wiser than all. Guiding, watching over, and protecting all under their day and night.

But a change had occurred. A change which had upset the balance of the constants.

They all felt this disturbance. They knew what had happened. But only one of them had truly seen it firsthand. All of it; the actions of the Kadzite.

Wolves who had lost their way. Searching for something, stopping at nothing to find that which can not be obtained; losing themselves in madness as a result. Wolves who, under the cover of night and watched by Fenris, would kill anyone and everything they found in their search. Growing more and more ferocious and bloodthirsty with every passing night.

Every night Fenris watched. And every night his anger grew. Only at his brothers' insistence did he not act, allowing this to unfold as 'merely another phase in the development of this still young species.'

His vigil continued for weeks, months… years. And he watched, watched in anger and growing ire.

This night, however, a new change would occur.

The darkness of hate has stained his soul. Now the beast within will reveal itself.

<<>><<>><<>>

Wind howled over the night-covered grassy plains, and through branches of the few trees growing here and there; growing more frequent the further you looked, until they eventually converged into a massive forest.

Beyond that, an imposing mountain range rose up. Stretching out as far one could see, with snow covering the highest peaks.

And at the foot of the mountain, near a large waterfall and fully encircled by the forest stood a settlement built from the very wood and stone from whence it had been carved. Wooden ramps and stairs, alongside walkways connecting the various caverns; both naturally formed and carved through hard labor. Several structures were built on the sides of the rock as well. Buildings of primitive design, made from wood, and held together with ropes made of leather and animal tendons.

All in all, the design was rough, but solid. Made with function in mind, not appearance. It was clearly made by creatures still young as a civilization, but learning. A settlement which, with time and care, could grow into something truly impressive.

That is, if it wasn't currently burning.

The flickering orange glow reached high above the canopy, and yelps, barks, and growls rose up to accompany the crackle of the fire in its destruction. Large shadows of broadly chested wolves were cast against the mountain side. Some showing wolves in distress, others with their claws held high before striking.

A loud, low, spine chilling and rage-filled howl cut through the night. And high above, the moon shone with an unnatural blood-red glow.

"It has begun," Necronomicon spoke with a heavy voice, levitating next to Clockwork; the unfortunate ghost hovering in place with glassy eyes and an angry frown. Yet shock and horror cracked his mask of anger, seeing the carnage unfolding in the burning settlement.

"I take it you now understand," Necky asked, "why you're needed here?"

Clockwork didn't answer.

"My apologies," Necky said almost immediately, and a flicker of energy shone from within his pages.

"Gha-" Clockwork groaned as his body listened to his commands again. "If you ever do that again-"

"I will if I have to," Necky calmly shot back, easily moving away from Clockwork as he tried to grab him.

Clockwork balled his hands into fists, noticing them shaking in response to his continuously strained patience, which was flimsy even at the best of times. But before Clockwork could say or do anything, a loud, enraged and malevolent growl rose up from within the settlement; soon followed by even louder barking, howling, and accompanied with frightened, pained, and panicked cries and yelps in response.

"Why me?" Clockwork demanded. "You said that if I wouldn't do this, another would."

Necky turned slightly, glancing towards the angry ghost. "I said Destiny would find another. I'm less flexible." He then turned back to the settlement. "You had already chosen to help, and I will make sure you see this through to the end."

"But instead of allowing me to help my friends, you drag me over here to watch another place being destroyed," Clockwork shouted, finally allowing his anger to break free. "Why? What good could possibly come from me being here? Clearly we're already too late!" He waved an arm towards the burning settlement. "So why am I even here?"

"To help your friends," Necky calmly replied, stunning Clockwork into silence. "You may not see it now… Heh, I know you do not. But what happens here is imperative for your friends back in Equestria. They, their children, their children's children, and so on. Especially your two friends, Sunny Skies and Starlight. Don't forget, Clockwork. There is a plan."

Clockwork turned his back to Necronomicon, eyes clenched shut, teeth gritting together, and arms stretched down; hands clenched into shaking fists.

"Why?" Clockwork muttered quietly to himself.

"Why, what?" Necky inquired.

"WHY!?" Clockwork shouted. "Why did I have to agree to this… I didn't agree to this. I agreed to help you with what you said were a few simple, but critical, events in the timeline."

"And there you have your contradictions," Necky stated, and Clockwork slowly, begrudgingly, turned his head to look at him. "We never said what we asked of you was simple. On the contrary, you knew it wouldn't be simple. The very fact we reached out to you to help solidify critical points in time is evidence to this fact. If it was indeed a simple task, then a simple solution would have been all it required. No need for any intricate plans, or skipping through time and space." Necky drifted closer to Clockwork, his 'face' almost pressing against Clockwork's. "You knew, but now you're trying to shift the blame for what you believe to be lies and deceit, betrayal even, to me and the Observant." Clockwork took an involuntary step backwards. "We did no such thing. When you demanded we tell you what was required, we answered. We told you about our plan for Starlight and Sunny Skies, and you objected to it. Yet, eventually, you did agree because 'you didn't have a choice'. We told you about the Kadzite—" Necky opened his back cover in ways to indicate towards the settlement "—and that you needed to deal with them as well. To which you also agreed." Necky finally allowed him some space as he levitated away slightly, but still remained far too close for comfort.

"You agreed to help us, Clockwork. Agreed to help us set something in motion that will affect the lives of more than you can even begin to imagine. Of course this requires sacrifices, did you expect anything less? Didn't you have this gift, this talent to see the ripple of action and reaction? Surely you could have seen all of this; should have seen it, even. In fact, you have seen this. Which is why you are trying to shift the blame, the consequences of your decisions to others." —Necronomicon closed the distance once more, eyes glowing threateningly— "No, Clockwork. You can only blame yourself." —A terrifying howl rose up from the settlement— "So, now you need to make a choice. Are you going to help, willingly, with all that has been said and done now? Or do I need to 'enforce' my will again? Chose, Clockwork. But do it quickly. Time is not a luxury you have."

Clockwork's eyes shifted between Necronomicon and the settlement, almost as if he was looking for a way out, unable to find a fault in Necky's words. He did agree to all of this, despite his objections of their plan for Starlight and Sunny. He agreed to it… because he was curious… Since when had he been so juvenile? Allowing things like this to happen, just to see what happens.

Clockwork's eyes finally locked onto the burning settlement, hardening as he vowed to himself to never toy with fate like this just to sate his curiosity.

Closing his eyes, and sighing deeply, he asked: "What do you need me to do?"

<<>><<>><<>>

One hour ago.

He stood on top of a large hill, watching in anger and hate; claws shaking with uncontrolled rage.

"So, finally you decided to see for yourselves," Fenris spat, not granting those standing behind him even a single glance.

"We've always seen what they wrought," Nuntis answered sadly, shaking his head.

"Exactly," Fenris barked, "you've seen what they've done. But only I have seen them do it. No more!"

"It is not for us to intervene directly in their development," Sköll pleaded. "Surely you know this?"

"And is it not our task to maintain the balance of the constants?" Fenris shot back condescendingly. "So, tell me, brothers—" he finally turned around to see the two wolves behind him "—how is this maintaining the balance?"

"They are lost, blinded by their own selfish desires," Sköll answered. "It's up to us to guide them back, make them see the errors of their ways. But not like this."

"No, instead we stand by idly, doing nothing."

"You know better than that," Nuntis told him. "How many times have we seen rebellions and unprovoked attacks by those who are lost? How many times have those phases passed on their own, or through subtle influences by us? This time will be no different."

"Yes, it will," Fenris sneered, turned around and moved away from his brothers.

"Brother. Don't go down this path, you know where it leads to." Sköll called after him.

"I know, but I no longer care," Fenris replied angrily, unsheathing his claws. "This night, any night. Every one of my nights, blood is spilled, and I will no longer stand by idly."

"Brother-"

"No! No more talk," he barked, walking away with murder in his eyes. "Tonight, the moon will glow red with their blood."

"FENRIS!"

Fenris came to a stop, eyes narrowed into slits.

"Fenris is no more…" He slowly turned around, looking at the two beings standing behind him with cold eyes. "My name is Fenrir, the night's demon."

<<>><<>><<>>

"What do you need me to do?" Clockwork asked.

"To understand," Necky replied, "and to see."

"To see what?" Clockwork queried, watching with pained eyes towards the burning settlement.

"To see what madness can be created out of chaos," Necky sighed out sadly. "This world, Firosina, always had a long history of bloody conflicts. Some short, others long and harrowing. Yet they were always resolved, one way or the other… Not this time, I'm afraid. Not this time…"

A loud, spine shivering howl cut through the night, much closer to the both of them as they neared the settlement, cloaked in invisibility.

"What is happening?" Clockwork asked, clearly uncomfortable.

"The consequences of all this death and destruction..."

A large blur, almost imperceptible in the darkness of the night, and only visible to the two of them due to their ghost vision, as well as the flickering light of the fire, a wolf larger than any other broke free from the forest; fangs bared and claws unsheathed as it all but flew towards one of the attacking wolves. A wolf holding a young pup in one massive claw, still basking in the satisfaction of the kill, when without warning his chest seemed to explode outwards, a midnight black claw slamming cleanly through flesh and bone.

With a roar, the black wolf pulled his claw free, joined by a fountain of blood and gore, before following up with a second blow to the head; his claws cutting it clean off.

The beheaded torso slumped to the ground, mere seconds after the black wolf had attacked.

The black wolf turned around, not even sparing his kill another glance as he had already found his next kill. And in a blur of motion Clockwork had trouble keeping up with, more and more wolves fell, one after the other; massive injuries damaging their bodies and making the ground slick with spilled blood. Blood which reflected the crimson light of the moon above.

"... And the fall of one of the Three."

Clockwork held silent, trembling as he watched the carnage with wide, horrified eyes.

"We must act quickly," Necky urged him. "There is no time to lose."

Clockwork didn't reply, nor move; rooted on the spot.

"CLOCKWORK!" Necronomicon shouted, his voice almost lost over the screams and roars.

Closing his eyes and averting his gaze, Clockwork swallowed the suffocating lump in his throat.

Sensing their window of opportunity was closing rapidly, Necronomicon acted without hesitation and put Clockwork under his control once more, but allowing his mind to remain free in order to witness everything transpiring.

The two of them moved towards the beheaded wolf, looking down onto the gory mess. Necronomicon sighed as his cover opened, and his pages turned rapidly to the centerfold; presenting the blank pages to the dead being. While, at the same time, Clockwork grabbed Necronomicon tightly on the sides, transferring some of his own power into the sapient book.

Words written in a runic script appeared as if written then and there, glowing with an unearthly power. A blinding green glare came from the pages, engulfing the dead wolf in what appeared to be black green fire; burning away at the being until not even ashes remained.

"This is but the first," Necronomicon stated, and he looked at the many dead. Only a handful of them Kadzite, the rest innocent families.

Necky's eyes flicked towards a cloaked being approaching from behind; its red eyes glowing in the eye sockets of the bleached white skull for its head. Their eyes met, and a mutual understanding was formed. The Wolves' reaper gave a faint nod, then moved for the pup lying dead on the ground, mere inches away from where the dead Kadzite had fallen.

With a somber gaze, the reaper reached out with its skeletal claw; cutting into the fallen pup without leaving a single mark on its body.

Standing back up to its full height, the reaper once more looked at Necky and Clockwork.

"I do not agree with your methods," she spoke with a strong female voice. "But even I agree that something has to be done."

"This is not our doing," Necky stated, and the reaper growled warningly.

"You could have acted sooner, yet you allowed this to pass. No matter who claimed these lives, you are equally guilty." She shook her head and looked at all the dead lying in the settlement. "Go, take your souls and leave. I will not stand by idly for long."

Necronomicon tilted slightly back and forth in a manner of an understanding nod, then he and Clockwork moved towards the next dead Kadzite. One by one, until all fallen wolves were gathered, save for a few who managed to escape the initial attack of the black wolf, and who were now hunted down by this very being.

<<>><<>><<>>

A few minutes earlier.

Through the forest he ran, trees flashing past him in a blur, all his senses locked on his prey.

Slick blood stained most of his fur, dripping down with thick drops on the ground, marking his path.

Many had already fallen to his claws, yet some managed to flee. And in doing so, they also showed their cowardice. Only attacking those weaker or fewer in numbers, but running away with their tail between the legs when one stronger than all of them attacked. No, there would be no mercy for them. Not for them, and anyone else who would dare defy him, or dare to use his night to cover their actions; their crimes.

Fenrir came to a sudden stop, his head angled up as he smelled the air, the Kadzite's scent thick and foul. A growl escaped him as he leveled his gaze, slowly looking from one side to the other.

"So, you finally find the courage to face me," he barked harshly, watching as the small group of wolves moved from behind the trees; surrounding him.

The wolves were cautiously approaching, knowing even a single wrong move would mean death. Yet they also clearly showed desperation. None of them wanted to die, but if they didn't face this demon and strike him down first, they knew he wouldn't hesitate to claim their lives.

They surrounded him, maws open, revealing rows of razor sharp fangs. They pounced, and he moved. He lashed out, his claw ripping through flesh as he avoided the attack. Blood gushed out, staining his black fur as his attacker howled in pain. Others jumped him, and he reacted. Sinking his own fangs in the bodies of those who dared to try and take him down. Blood filled his mouth, nose, and his vision, and he lost himself in a haze of red.

<<>><<>><<>>

He stood alone, breathing heavily amongst a sea of dead bodies, mangled beyond recognition, that lay at his feet. His once black fur now a deep crimson, and thick globs of blood mixed with his saliva fell from his partially open mouth.

His moon hung high overhead, glowing with the same deep red as the blood covering his fur; spreading fear to all cowering underneath its light.

Fenrir stood there, basking in the light, breathing heavily.

He'd expected to feel satisfaction, fulfillment, maybe even a hint of misplaced pride after having struck down those responsible for so much death and destruction. Instead, all he could feel was a void. A hunger for more.

There were still others out there. More of the fallen pack, spread out over the lands, spreading death and chaos under his night.

No, there could be no satisfaction nor pride. Not until all of them lay dead at his feet. He would hunt them down, and kill them until none of the Kadzite remained.

But there would be more. Others who would claim blood for one reason, or the other. Some pointless reason only a mere mortal fool would come up with. No, he would not allow for that. No one else will kill during his night. No one else, except himself. He would hunt them all, kill them all. Only then could he feel satisfaction. He would rid the world of everyone who dares to defile his night, and who dares to defy him. Which also included the two wolves moving towards him; not even bothering to stay silent.

"Brother, you have gone too far!" Nuntis spoke with barely concealed rage, his eyes glowing fiercely.

"It is our duty to protect those living in these lands while maintaining the constants." Sköll growled, fur bristling. "BUT NEVER SHALL WE STRIKE DOWN THE VERY LIVES WE ARE MEANT TO PROTECT!"

"Your anger is justified. Your desire to change things understandable. But even we have rules to abide! You have broken the very sanctity of the constants, intervened directly in a delicate balance already upset, and lost yourself to the darkness of hatred." Nuntis barked, unsheathing his claws.

"So, now you are willing to act?" Fenrir sneered.

"Only because you forced our paw," Nuntis growled, but sadness was evident in his words.

"We can not allow you to run wild any longer," Sköll declared, claws also unsheathed.

"Your hypocrisy is sickening," Fenrir barked as he showed his own claws.

"As were your actions tonight," Sköll shot back. "Now sheath your claws and submit yourself, or we will bring you down with force."

"No!" Fenrir stated matter-of-factly, "I will not. I will hunt down and kill every last one of the Kadzite, and anyone else standing in my way. And just as I won't bow down to you, neither shall the moon. This night will not end. Not until every single one of them lays dead at my feet."

"Submit, Fenris!" Nuntis barked.

Fenrir's eyes narrowed into slits, teeth baring. "My name is Fenrir," he roared, lunging himself at the white wolf; swiping with his right claw. "And I will not stop. Not for you, Sköll, or anyone else."

He took Nuntis by surprise, who managed to jump out of the way in the nick of time. Evading an otherwise devastating blow, but Fenrir still managed to draw blood. With a howl more out of anger than pain, Nuntis rolled to the side, his left paw pressing against the shallow cuts in his side.

Sköll acted within a split second, and he pounced upon his brother, swiping his own claws at the black wolf. But despite the anger he felt towards Fenris, he was still his brother, and his attack lacked in strength and ferocity. Fenrir swatted the slashing claws aside, and punched Sköll in the gut. The brown wolf doubled over instantly, only for a massive fist to slam into his lower jaw. Blood spewed out of his mouth as Sköll stumbled backwards.

Nuntis gave a roar in anger as he jumped at Fenrir; his left side partially stained with his blood.

Fenrir turned around rapidly, lowering his stance as he braced himself to catch the sun wolf. Nuntis tackled Fenrir, the former biting into the nape of Fenrir's neck, while Fenrir himself had pierced Nuntis' side with his claw; right where his wound was.

Fenrir howled loudly as Nuntis sank his teeth deeper into his flesh, grunting in pain, unwilling to let go.

Using his free claw, Fenrir delivered several concussive blows against Nuntis' head, also worsening the wound inflicted on himself as a result. Unable to hold on any longer, Nuntis lost his hold over his brother, who immediately threw him off of him.

Sköll was quick to use this opportunity, and rushed in to slam a fist against the savage wound in Fenrir's neck. The blow was crippling, and Fenrir dropped to a knee in pain as Sköll used his momentum to swing around him and slashed into his unprotected chest.

Deep claw marks split fur and flesh, and blood flowed freely out of the open wounds; mixing with the blood which already stained Fenrir's fur. Yet this didn't stop him. It only served to increase his anger, his hate, and with a defiant roar, Fenrir pushed back up and slashed both his claws into his brother's abdomen; cutting deep.

Blood spewed out like a fountain, splattering into Fenrir's eyes. A red haze that obscured not only his vision, but also the last vestiges of his sanity.

Fenrir howled out in rage as he lost himself to the red haze of blood rage, claws and fangs dripping with blood as he pounced at his brothers once more.

A chorus of loud howls filled the night, with the red moon hanging above.

<<>><<>><<>>

The battle raged on relentlessly, none of the three wolves backing down. For hours they fought, the three locked in combat until all sense of time was lost. The moon hanging unmoving in the sky for what seemed like days as neither Nuntis, nor Sköll were able to bring a stop to their brother and maintain the cycle of day and night.

Sköll and Nuntis knew they had to stop their brother at all costs. But their fight lasted longer than they had anticipated, as Fenrir's rage allowed him to take much more damage, while showing strength exceeding both Nuntis' and Sköll's.

They fought. They bled. They lost. All three wolves showed massive wounds, but in the end only Fenrir remained standing. Panting heavily, with numerous claw marks and bite wounds scarring his body. Yet his anger and madness made him all but ignore the crippling pain, and he stepped towards his downed brothers; glaring down at them with murderous eyes.

He grabbed Nuntis by the throat, and pulled him up so the sun wolf was at eye level.

"Brother," Nuntis groaned weakly, desperately. "Pease. Stop this."

"No, brother," Fenrir growled. "The rule of day is over. I am the one who slayed you, and who will slay all of the Kadzite that still remain." —He tightened his hold, squeezing shut Nuntis' throat and causing the white wolf to wheeze. Fenrir raised his free claw high in the air— "Now, die." He barked, and swung down.

A loud, piercing, and mournful howl cut through the night, and Fenrir froze on the spot; his claw a hair's breadth away from Nuntis.

The howl came again, and Fenrir's arm began to tremble slightly; staring at the bruised and bloodied wolf held in his grasp.

The howl sung yet again, and Fenrir cried out as if struck by lightning.

<<>><<>><<>>

Fifteen minutes earlier.

She moved through the burning and blood-smeared remains of the settlement, eyes unfocused and staring into forever. Just yesterday this was a welcoming and thriving tribe. Now, only cinders and death remained.

She looked down at her paws. Seeing her once blonde fur now black with soot, having been burned from the fire she tried to put out in an desperate attempt to save her mother before she was forced away in the ensuing chaos.

How had it come to this? Why? Her pack, this very tribe lived under a rule of peace. Believing one should only kill to eat, or in defense of friend and family. And believing that the Three would keep them safe. But, they didn't.

The Kadzite attacked. Fenris attacked. And by doing so, a horrible monster was unleashed.

But how could this have happened? She remembered the stories she and the other pups were told when they were young. The stories about the ancient Three. Nuntis, Sköll, and Fenris. How they represented the world. Brought forth the day and night. And how they maintained the constants.

Did they fail them? Had they somehow angered the Three which brought this tragedy upon them?

She looked around without expression; the flickering lights of the fires illuminating the many bodies littering the ground.

'Am I all who is left?'

The charred wood from one of the lower walkways leading to the mountainside snapped and collapsed; blowing up a large cloud of ash, smoke, and embers.

Her face was blank, yet tears flowed from her eyes as she moved back to where she last saw her mother. Their home, now nothing more than a smouldering mass, with the occasional small fire still eating away at the last of the wood that still remained.

She froze on the spot, eyes wavering.

She found her mother, right where she had last seen her; a burnt, mostly skeletal remainder.

She fell to her knees, crying out in anger, sorrow, and grief.

They didn't deserve this. She didn't deserve this. Yet it happened all the same. And instead of being protected by the Three, they didn't do anything. Nothing to stop the violence and suffering.

Her fists trembled in anger as she stood back up; anger towards those responsible for the death and destruction surrounding her.

She growled and seethed, blood boiling for revenge. But all around her was nothing but death. No wolf left to blame. No one left to accept the guilt. No one, but her.

Was it her? Was she to blame? Why was she only one left alive, when she should have died with the rest of her tribe?

She panted loudly, suddenly drained of her strength and she dropped to her knees once again.

Her anger faded, not even having the strength to feel it. And all that was left, was a void. Emptiness. Loneliness. Even without dying, she did no longer feel alive. She had lost everything. Her tribe. Her family. Her very name. Without those she had lost, she truly was no one. A stranger, lost amidst the ruins of her former life.

She turned to the remainders of her mother, then slowly took in the full destruction of the settlement she'd called home. All of it gone.

Crushing sadness and grief grabbed hold over her, and she trembled as she began to sob, then cry.

Everything she knew. Gone.

Everything she was. Gone.

Everything she hoped to be. Gone.

Everything and everyone. Gone.

Tear-filled eyes looked up at the glowing red moon, its light reflecting in her eyes, and she howled.

She howled to the moon, her voice carrying all her pain, anger, and grief.

A howl for those she'd lost.

A howl for those wronged.

A howl pained by the loss of her own life.

A howl of someone who no longer knew who she was.

A howl of Kiyiya, the mourning wolf.

<<>><<>><<>>

Fenrir roared out as he grabbed his head with both paws, thrashing wildly. Nuntis fell to the ground in a heap as his brother released his grasp, gasping for air. Sköll rolled himself over with his least injured arm, and watched Fenrir with one partially closed eye. The other one being blinded in their fight.

Fenrir roared and howled as the sorrowful howl cut through the night once again, dropping to his knees while tightening his hold around his head; his claws piercing the skin.

****

He stood before himself. Two equal individuals, but worlds apart in difference.

Fenrir looked at his mirror's image, while Fenris did the same.

Fenris, a proud wolf with years of experience to guide him, looked at the bloodied, battle-scarred reflection; wondering, questioning how he could have fallen so far.

Reflecting on the last few years, and his growing anger towards the Kadzite only answered part of his questions. But, as he saw the bloodied bodies of his brothers, he knew he wasn't the only one to blame. They all had made mistakes, but Fenrir, the black demon he had allowed himself to turn into, he alone was responsible for that.

Clenching his paws into trembling fists, Fenris knew what he had to do.

Fenrir, a demon born from his own anger and hatred, would always remain with him. A part of himself, broken off and damaged, but holding on to him; clinging to him like a parasite. A disease of his own making, and something of which he could not escape.

Fenrir couldn't be stopped. Not by his brothers, or the Kadzite. And, having allowed to be absorbed by the the corruption, Fenris knew he couldn't stop the disease either. But, perhaps, he could slow it down.

Cut away the host, and the parasite had nothing left to feed upon.

No, he might not be able to stop Fenrir. But Fenris would be able to stop himself.

Permanently.

****

The howl of Kiyiya rung through the night, and cut deep into Fenrir's being. He roared out while blood flowed out of the cuts on his head.

Breathing heavily, he slowly lowered his paws. Looking at them, seeing them covered by the blood of the Kadzite, his brothers, and himself.

His gaze shifted to the wolves lying on the ground around him, and guilt flashed in his eyes before steeled resolve hardened them.

"Brothers," he spoke with a guilt heavy voice, "forgive me." And acting before the corruption could reassume control, he lunged both his claws into his abdomen; crying out in pain, blood and saliva spewing from his mouth, before he slashed out to both sides, gutting himself while his brothers watched his act with horror.

The howl of Kiyiya rung again, and just before Fenris hit the ground, a flash of green could be seen in his eyes.

The shepherd of the night hit the ground with a wet thud, falling into a pool of his own blood and entrails.

Kiyiya howled again, and the crimson moon returned to its normal faint golden glow. A light which shone down on Fenris, almost as a parting gesture while black smoke seemed to rise up from his form, imperceptible in the darkness of the night.

The moon slowly sunk below the horizon, signaling the end of the night. Yet the sun was still waiting to show. Waiting for Nuntis' call. A call which wouldn't come for many more hours.

A moonless sky. A dark sky. A dark sky for a world in mourning.

The shepherd of the night had died, and with him an era. An era marked with mistakes and sorrow, and a vow by the two remaining wolves to do better.

<<>><<>><<>>

They had watched from the shadows and cloaked by invisibility, yet even as an ghost, Clockwork feared for his existence as he and Necronomicon watched the wolves fight.

But now, hours after the two barely surviving wolves had retreated, taking with them the remains of Fenris, Clockwork and Necky moved out of cover, carefully making their way to the mangled bodies of the Kadzite still lying on the ground.

"Let's just get this over with," Necronomicon sighed wearily.

Nodding weakly, Clockwork grabbed hold of Necky with both hands, and mixed his energy with that of the shapeshifting book for reasons Necky promised to explain at a later time.

The bodies of the Kadzite reacted to the spectral energy permeating their mortal shells. And as had happened to those back in the settlement, black green fire burned away the dead shell until nothing remained

"There are still others out there," Necky muttered as Clockwork released his hold, allowing Necronomicon to hover away from him while rustling his pages, "but we have gathered enough to serve our needs. Let's go, Clockwork. There are still several tasks that need our attention." And he silently flew away, Clockwork lagging behind for only a few tense seconds; an ill feeling settling in the pit of his stomach.

They moved for what seemed like hours to Clockwork, but eventually they returned to what remained of the settlement, and passing through it without a second glance. Then Necky sighed out once more as he and Clockwork found themselves at the edge of the settlement, and both looked back at the fire claiming the last of the structures, and watching them collapse as their integrity failed.

"So much death, and for what? Eternal life? How would one even go about and find such a thing by such extreme methods?" Another sigh escaped him. "Bah… the ignorance and stupidity of the young." He turned around and moved for the hill he and Clockwork first appeared on this world. "Come, Clockwork. It's time for us to leave and set in motion the next stage of events."

<<>><<>><<>>

A tortured howl cut through the dark void.

Beings of unrecognizable origins and forms turned towards the source of the sound, a lone rocky island floating in the depths of the Dark Zone; on it, a massive beast roared out while slashing at everything and anything while a dark aura surrounded his form.

"Eliri!"
"Get out!"

He roared out in anguish, slamming himself against a large column of stone.

A new screech reverberated through the Dark Zone. This one distorted, angry, evil.

The dark glow surrounding the beast, before it was forcefully stripped away by both of the beast's claws; cutting deeply into his own flesh as he did so; falling to the ground slick with glowing green blood.

The darkness flew away into the depths of the Dark Zone, injured, and looking for a way to return.

"Neniu!" Fenris wheezed, realizing his complete failure.
"No!"

The corruption born from his anger and hatred had claimed his life, and had now gained its own freedom. Injured, yes. But out there, waiting to strike again. But his fight with his host had been unplanned, and unwanted. An unexpected surge of resistance which took it by surprise. And although separated from its host, it made sure to take something with it. Something that would make sure its host wouldn't forget.

Figuratively speaking, that is.

The mind truly is easy to manipulate, if one knows how to do it.

<<>><<>><<>>

As Fenris collapsed into unconsciousness, he could feel the damage done to his mind. The scars left behind, and the feeling something was missing. Something important, but what?

The answer would come soon after he woke up after an undetermined amount of time, his wounds healing into wicked looking scars, and a mind with many holes.

He tried to speak, to call out, but found he couldn't. He tried to remember what happened, but this remained a mystery to him as well. Chunks of his mind were missing. Whole parts of his being, gone. Even something as fundamental to one's person as language was taken from him.

Yet despite the knowledge missing, Fenris found other parts of his mental self remained intact. Enough to know who and what he was. But it was all mixed, twisted, and put out of place. It confused him, scared him, angered him. And as he desperately tried to connect the pieces, to put back the puzzle of his mind, his anger and confusion made him act in unpredictable ways. Lashing out to everything and everyone either brave or stupid enough to venture into the Dark Zone and approach the small rocky island Fenris had stranded on.

Years, centuries, and millennia passed since that point as he slowly regained a grasp over his broken mind; filling the holes with whatever knowledge he could gain from the various strange creatures who dared to set foot on his land.

At first, he was unable to do more than blind screaming and panicked roars towards the intruders, causing them to disregard Fenris as nothing but a wild beast that was unable to communicate. But as time passed, Fenris picked up on the language these entities spoke. He had to relearn one of the most basic, but important aspects of personality; speech.

But even then he knew something was missing. A part of himself he knew to be very dangerous, even if he couldn't recall what it was.

For many long years he struggled with the holes in his mind, and the knowledge that he was missing something important. And he would continue to struggle, until destiny came knocking on his door, and three very unlikely creatures found their way onto his land.

"GHRRR… Pony?" He growled, slowly stepping out of the cave he had called home for longer than he could remember. And with fearful eyes, the three creatures watched the cave's entrance as Fenris stepped out of the shadows.

"A-a-a-are you F-Fenrir?" The white pony asked.

"Fenrir!?" Fenris repeated, looking away for a bit as images suddenly filled his mind. Memories long lost, brought back by that one name. He looked back at the three, growling loudly as he pressed even closer. "How do you know that name!?"

Shrinking down as much as they could, Fenris practically on top of them at this point, all the white pony could do was squeak in answer.

"Y-You're the a-ancient evil who holds the cure for my kind?" The black, insect-like pony said. Trying to sound brave, but failing miserably.

"Evil," Fenris growled, slowly circling around the trio. "Evil," he repeated, stopping in place and staring out in the distance as he remembered his actions; and what made him do them in the first place. "Some would say I am, others would just call me a monster," he said with a rumbling voice as he turned back to the fillies, letting his rancid breath roll over them.

"Ain't that tha same thing?" The bow wearing pony said without thought, and panic and fear grew on the faces of all three fillies as they realized what she had said.

"She didn't mean it like that," the white pony quickly said in a high pitched voice, yet Fenris ignored her as he stared at the bow wearing pony, contemplating his words.

"Those who are evil aren't necessarily monsters. And those who are monsters aren't necessarily evil," he said, then, much to their surprise, he backed off.

"Leave this land, mortals. I do not know how you got here, nor do I care," he growled at them as he moved back to his cave. "But I do not have what you seek, nor am I interested in helping."

"Wha-... HEY!" The insect pony shouted, breaking away from the other two ponies. "I did not come all this way for nothing! You have something I need, and I'm not leaving without it." She stated, eyes burning.

"LEAVE!" Fenris roared, pouncing down on the insect pony and stopping mere centimeters before her, claws at the ready and fangs baring.

Being suddenly targeted by the wolf, the insect pony shrieked as she stood frozen on the spot; her mane blowing back from the force of the wolf's breath.

Breathing deeply, and trying to ignore Fenris' rancid breath, the black pony stood her ground; glaring into Fenris' eyes.

"No!" She stated. "My kind is dying, and they are counting on me to find a way to cure them," she spoke back, insecure at first, but growing more and more confident as she spoke. "I don't care what it takes, or what I must do, but I will find a way to help them. That’s why I am here, and I'm not leaving!"

"Ghrrrrrr...'" Fenris roared, smelling the insect pony. "You smell of fear, yet pride makes you defy me," his gaze shifted to the bow wearing pony. "Fear is all I can sense from you," he then looked at the white pony with a horn. "But you," he growled lowly, stepping over the insect pony, who released a nervous breath as Fenris moved to the white pony. "You are different. Fear is strong within you. Stronger than both of them combined. Yet, there is something else... Something very… familiar."

The white pony stared at Fenris as he stood a mere half meter away from her and the bow wearing pony; the two of them still holding on to one another. Then, without warning, Fenris lunged forwards with an open mouth.

Screaming, both ponies closed their eyes in fright. But whereas the bow wearing pony could only scream, the white pony seemed to act with an instinct for survival, and raised both front legs to her side; hooves aglow.

Thunk

Silence.

"... Are... Are we still alive?" The bow wearing pony squeaked, not daring to look.

Their ears twitched at the sound of Fenris' teeth scraping across the glowing surface of the shield the white pony had projected over them. The insect pony gasped out a mere second later, which made the two ponies to reluctantly open their eyes. Only for them to shoot open as they saw what happened; what was surrounding them.

"Sweetie Belle…?" The bow wearing pony said, awed. "How tha heck are ya doin' that?"

"... I... don't know," she replied, looking just as surprised as her friends.

With glowing hooves spread out to either side, a glowing dome surrounding her friend and herself, shielding them from Fenris' attack.

Intrigued, Fenris stared at the glowing green dome, sensing a change coming. A change, whether for the good or bad, he didn't know. But a change to maybe, possibly make a difference. And to make amends.

With a flicker, the glowing shield failed and collapsed, exposing the two fillies to the dangers outside once more. With fear evident in their eyes, they looked up at Fenris who had just attacked them, expecting the worst. Yet, as they waited for him to attack once again, all he did was stare at them; thinking.

Slowly turning his head to the insect pony, he loudly blew air from his nose.

"You seek a cure, for which I do not know. Yet you're here for a reason. One which you barely understand yourselves." He stood back up to his full height, staring down at the fillies. "I am Fenris, shepherd of the night. I shall listen to what you have to say."

Author's Note:

And here we are again, and with another chapter detailing the history of Clockwork, Necky, Starlight and Sunny Skies, and the Kadzite, to name a few. We even learned a bit about Fenris/Fenrir, and how he ended up in the Dark Zone to meet Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Erlea. Oh wow, where could all of this lead to? Well, I'm not telling. Not yet, at least.

Now, before you get your hopes up that the next update will be for Silver Spirit, seeing how we just encountered our spirit filly at the end of this chapter, this is not the case. It is just how things played out, and the next and (maybe) final chapter of this arc will be posted first before I can even think about continuing with our Fillies' adventures.

Now, back to the here and now. Mistakes. If you found them, tell me in the comments below. If you didn't find any, just write something else in the comments. I'm not picky, anything goes. And I hope you've enjoyed this latest addition to the Phantom Universe.

~Powerdrainer

PreviousChapters Next