• ...
3
 26
 2,031

The Hope For Truth

They made it just in time to purchase a train ticket and board before it departed. Once on the train, they found a secluded spot near the back train car and sat down.

Once the train began to move a few minutes later, Jackson began to explain to Rainbow Dash everything from the beginning. He told her back in his world he was a Marine and was deployed to a country called Afghanistan. This obviously confused her but he wanted to say everything before he began answering any of her questions she might have. This would most likely be many. He continued on explaining that his convoy was ambushed by terrorist hostiles. After they drew them back, an explosion threw him over ten feet through the air. All he remembered was he was lying on his back and looking up at the sky and seeing a bright white light and then faded off to complete darkness. He then said he woke up about a mile a half away from Ponyville and went to Twilight’s place and the rest was history.

Rainbow Dash was very interested in his story but her mouth was agape, the same as Twilight’s when she told the same story to him.

“But why would these… people as you say, want to hurt others?” She asked with sadness in her voice.

“I don’t know. It’s just what our race has done since its creation. That’s why each country has people dedicated to protect their countries and its inhabitants.” Jackson replied.

“Which is what you’re doing. Or did I mean…” She said feeling embarrassed.

“Yes ma’am. That also explains my uniform. Others and I have dedicated our lives to protecting our country, our people, my family, our…” Jackson stopped after he realized he said ‘my family’. Rainbow saw his facial expression fade from serious to sadness and despair. His eyes started to well up with tears as he lowered his head. For the first time since he came to this world, he unhooked his helmet and let it fall to the floor. “My family…” He whispered through tears.

Twilight put a hoof on his shoulder. She heard about his family once and still felt just as terrible hearing it a second time. Then she looked over at Rainbow. To her surprise, Rainbow was looking straight at Jackson, tears running down her cheeks. For the first time ever, Twilight has witnessed Rainbow cry.

Rainbow got up and perceived to embrace Jackson. He gradually returned the favor that seemed to last a lifetime. After a few minutes, they broke the embrace, leaving each other to sit back down and wipe away their tears.

“It’s been a long time.” Rainbow began, “I’ve never cried since I was a little filly. And that’s when my parents were killed in a mid-flight accident. And I was stuck in an orphanage until I was a legal adult.

Jackson sniffed. “My wife is back home with my daughter.”

“You’re married and have a daughter?” Rainbow asked.

“Heh, guess I left that part out huh?

Rainbow nodded. “How old is your daughter?”

“She’ll be three months old in a few weeks. Like I told Twilight back at the library, I beat myself missing the birth of my first born child. But those are the sacrifices that have to be made when protecting your country.” Jackson looked out the window. All he could see was his wife holding their daughter whom he has never met.

“You miss them don’t you?” Rainbow asked.

He nodded his head. He continued to look out the window as more tears filled in his eyes. He turned to look at Rainbow. When he did, her ears drooped down at the sight of her new friends’ sadness. “I’ve never even met my daughter. I’ve only seen her through pictures. The only thing I could think of was I might never make back home alive and my daughter would grow up without her daddy by her side. The others in my Company helped cheer me up and keep my mind off of it. The only thing they could say was that I’d be home before I knew it, holding my daughter in my arms. But now, I don’t think that would be a reality.” Jackson looked at the ground, letting the tears flow freely, hitting the ground.

Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash were in tears at listening to his story. They’ve had many questions about other things but his testimony made those questions faded away. There was nothing they could do but try their best to console him.

“Hey, maybe the Princess would know a way to transport you back to your world.” Rainbow sniffed, hoping to enlighten the mood.

“You think so?” Jackson said, wiping away another wave tears.

“Shoosh yeah! The Princess is only the most strongest Alicorn in history. She would probably know a spell or two that would maybe bring you back.”

Jackson’s mood began to return to its normal swing. “I sure hope your right. But what if she can’t?”

“I don’t know.” Twilight began, “Let’s just think of the positives.”

“Yeah.” Was all Jackson could say.

They continued to talk and share stories. After a while, Jackson began to laugh and reminisce and share some of his mischievous pranks he pulled on others when he was in high school. Twilight and Rainbow both laughed as they too remembered doing some crazy stunts when they were in school.

It wasn’t long until the train arrived in Canterlot. When it stopped, they were asked to be careful exiting the train cars as they didn’t want to be sued if anypony got hurt.

“Heh, you don’t hear that everyday” Jackson chuckled. Twilight and Rainbow Dash both seemed to agree as they laughed too.

After a few minutes waiting at the check-in station, they left the inside of t he train station and made their way through the streets of Canterlot. Jackson was amazed. He has never seen any place with such amazing architecture. He was too embezzled in looking at the sights as some of Canterlot’s inhabitants gave him stares. Some even walked away acting as if he was going to bring harm to them.

“Jeez, you’d think he was going to hurt somepony the way they’re acting.” Rainbow said.

“I know. I’m just glad he doesn’t notice” Twilight replied.

“Wow, this place is amazing. Definitely looks fancier than California.” Jackson thought aloud.

“Don’t get used to it.” Rainbow said, “These ponies are rich snobs. They only care about themselves and their money.”

“Ha!” Jackson laughed, “That’s funny, ‘cause the rich people in my world are the same way. Caring only about themselves and their money. Hell, the poor starve in the streets while they walk all over them.” Our worlds are more and more alike every minute. He thought to himself.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash looked at each other and smiled. They liked this new pegasus pony. In the short time they knew him; they talked to him like he was a friend they’ve known for a long time. Though, they would be sad when and if the Princess knew a way to transport him back to his home world. They’ve put together a strong friendship in such short of time. It would hurt Rainbow much more due to her having a similar past as him.

They continued to walk through this path that lead to a big gate. In front of this gate, there stood two guards on each side. Both of them whom looked as if they could take down a pony just as fast as Jackson could.

“Twilight Sparkle! Long time no see! How’ve you been doing?” The one on the right spoke.

“Hello Flash. I’ve been busy with the usual studying.” Twilight replied

“Ah, you were and still are the most studious young mare we know. Perhaps as smart as the Princess herself.” The other one said.

Twilight blushed. “Oh I don’t know about that one Frost. I’m smart I can give myself that much but I don’t think I’m as smart as the Princess.”

Both guards laughed. “So what can we do for ya?” Flash said.

“I’ve been requested by Princess Celestia to see her immediately. I had to bring him, Jackson, over here with me.” Twilight replied, pointing to Jackson.

The guards gave a look over at Jackson. “Ah yes we heard the Princess was expecting you.” Frost said.

Jackson stood at attention and saluted to the guards. “Sir.” Jackson said quickly.

The guards then knew what his occupation was and returned the salute. “At ease Sergeant.” Frost said.

This took all three by surprise. How did they know what his rank was? And more importantly, how did they know about the ranking system?

Although he was surprised, Jackson kept his composure. “Aye aye sir.”

“Come on through, I’ll lead you to the Princess’s quarters. Frost you stay here, I’ll be back in few minutes.” Flash said

“Yes Admiral.”

The gate closed behind them as they were lead through a long corridor. Jackson gasped at the windows that lay before them. Flash looked back and noticed Jackson’s amazement in the windows. “Each one was specifically designed to resemble an even in Equestrian history. Like this one over on the left, it represents the signing of Equestrian Independence. That one represents the Princess and her sister, Princess Luna, using their magic to bring peace and harmony back to Equestria after defeating Discord. And that one on the end shows Twilight Sparkle and her five friends wielding the power of the Elements of Harmony to defeat Discord after his escape from his stone prison.”

Jackson looked at each one carefully. “Wow, lots of windows. Lots of history.”

“You bet. Without the Princesses, Equestria would still be at war with itself and chaos would be eternal.” Flash said.

“Ain't that the truth.” Jackson replied still amazed.

They kept walking and turned the corner to a big two door hallway.

Flash turned around, “Through here is the Princesses’ quarters. Wait here, I’ll go in to let them know you’re present.

Rainbow dash and Twilight nodded their head except for Jackson who said, “Yes sir.”

Flash opened the door and went inside. As they waited, they sat down and began to chat quietly about what might happen. For the first time in a long time, Jackson felt nervous. After everything everyone was saying, he had no idea he was about to meet someone with such royalty and power as her.

After about ten minutes, Flash returned. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna will see you now.” They got up and proceeded to follow.

They turned the corner and walked into a large open room where in front of them, sat the two princesses in their, what Jackson thought to be, throne seats. Alongside of them were two guards. As they made their way closer, Flash, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash bowed to them. Jackson thought that he should too. When he did, the white one with the bright light colored mane raised her hoof and said in a soft voice, “No need to bow to me, Sergeant Paul Jackson.”

Jackson was surprised. How does she know my name?