• Published 2nd Jun 2013
  • 4,615 Views, 64 Comments

The filly and the wolf - Aleksandr Sherbet



An orphan filly is saved by a lone wolf. The wolf acts like guardian to the small filly but when ponies try to take her away him he'll stop at nothing to protect her.

  • ...
18
 64
 4,615

Chapter 4

Arrow, a few hours earlier.-

Waking wasn't entirely a big problem for Arrow since she almost never got to sleep on a bed. If Arrow and Alpha were in a cave, Alpha would act as a pillow and cover for her. But sleeping on a bed was the best. She could've slept all day, but she did have to study. So, she got up and picked out her uniform, then showered.

-Luna-

"I'm sorry my love." Luna said, trying to get her lover to see reason.

"Luna, I loved you and this how you repay me. By doing this to me!"

"I didn't mean to I, I…" Luna began tearing up. She knew what she did to him.

"I don't care Luna! Leave me alone, I never want to see you again." Luna's lover escaped into the night, her night. She began to cry even more. She had lost the only pony that cared for her all those years.

Luna then woke up in a cold sweat, and looked towards her clock. It was 5:00 in the morning. Arrow's classes started in a few hours. She sighed and got up, knowing that here nightmares would plague her sleep.

-Arrow-

After leaving the shower she dressed herself in her uniform and walked out of her room. After a few minutes she found the archives and saw that nopony was there.

"I suppose I have a few hours to kill." She said aloud.

Looking towards the many books, she picked one up and read about the anatomy of animals. She found it rather interesting. The door suddenly opened, revealing Princess Luna in her royal attire. But something was off about her, and she knew it wasn't anything physical but emotional. Arrow always felt uneasy around ponies when they're emotional state was in danger.

"Are you okay princess? You seem off today." Arrow asked.

"Yes young Arrow. I'm fine, just stressed is all." Arrow knew that was a lie. It wasn't stress, but sadness. Some emotional scar, but she didn't persist any longer.

"Okay princess." Arrow’s lesson began with a little science about animal life and its anatomy. Her next lesson was about times tables and division, which arrow knew a lot about.

"What is 156/3 Arrow?" Luna asked.

"It is 53."

"Very good. I see that math is your strong suit." Arrow blushed at her compliment.

"Well I try my best." Seemingly, Arrow started to feel uneasy again, but it wasn't anything biological. It was something emotional. Her mind started to feel connected with somepony else's.

She felt sadness, despair, and anger. These feelings she sometimes felt when around certain ponies. But this mind was in a fragile state, almost as if it wanted to burst into an emotional breakdown.

'Who is this pony think these thoughts?' Arrow thought to herself. Whoever this pony is, she wanted to find out. Not because she was nosy but to help the poor soul.

"Are you okay Arrow?" Luna asked, concerned for her student.

"Oh, um, yes. I was just thinking of something is all." Arrow said. For the first time, Arrow was telling the truth and not lying.

"Very well, let's continue." After a few hours of Luna's teachings, Arrow felt the emotional presences around her. She never liked a pony being mopey, that's one thing she couldn't stand.

"It looks like we are done for today Arrow." Luna said, putting away the books they used.

"Of course, princess."

"Arrow, just call me Luna. No need to be formal."

"Of course, Luna." Arrow walked away from the archives and upstairs. Again she checked if the emotional signature was there. Sure enough, it wasn't there anymore. Whoever it was now disappeared. Arrow relaxed, thinking it was over. It was uneasing, being in the same room with that emotional distress.

-Luna-

It was killing Luna, the emotions she felt. She tried to lock them away; she didn't want Arrow seeing her when she was upset. No, not anger. It was depression that was killing Luna. How could she live on like this? A lie, telling her that it was her fault, it wasn't it was nightmare moon's fault, but was her fault that Luna couldn't see her lover. It was her fault that she felt lonely, just because Luna found love doesn't mean that Nightmare Moon didn't find any either. Silver Mane loved them both, but Nightmare Moon hated Luna for not getting enough attention from Silver Mane.

-Alpha-

Walking into town, Alpha felt a chill. But, it subsided a few seconds later. Was it the glares that the ponies gave him or was it that his sister isn't there with him?

"So where do we start?" Scootaloo asked.

Alpha started sniffing the ground, looking for Arrow's scent. He found it and followed it towards the marketplace.

"Oh, I think he wants us to follow him." Applebloom stated doing the same as alpha and sniffing the ground. The two other members followed doing the same as Alpha and Applebloom.

Alpha followed the scent to a stall that sold many vegetables and fruit. He sniffed the wares to find Arrow's scent.

"Hey! Get your mutt off my wares lady." The pony said to Pinkie.

"Don't you call my friend a mutt, you meanie mouth." Pinkie retorted.

Alpha then looked up to the vendor glaring at Pinkie.

"I'll call him whatever I want lady." He replied.

Alpha grew angry, not because of the insults at him, but the way he was acting towards Pinkie.

Alpha started growling looking at the vendor before barking at him. 'He don't you dare talk to her like that!' Alpha growled.

The vendor was startled at the sudden anger that Alpha gave him.

"Whoa lady, control your pet."

"Alpha, let's go." Pinkie said. Alpha followed Pinkie and found Arrow's scent, following it.

As they walked, Applebloom asked Alpha a question.

"Does your sister have a cutiemark?"

Alpha shook his head and growled. 'She doesn't, but she doesn't even care to have a cutiemark.'

"Your sister doesn't care to have a cutiemark!?" Pinkie asked Alpha.

"Wait, you can understand him." Sweetie Belle asked.

"Of course I can understand him silly!" Pinkie stated.

"But how?" Scootaloo asked.

"Remember what Twilight said, its Pinkie Pie. Don't even try to understand." Applebloom said.

Alpha stopped and looked forward to see Applejack's stall. It looked like she was packing up for the day.

Alpha ran towards it and sniffed around.

"Aww! Ya hungry little fella?" Applejack asked alpha. Alpha shook his head and continued sniffing.

"Oh hey AJ." Pinkie said walking towards her head.

The girls sniffed around like alpha. Alpha noticed that ponies were giving them weird stares and some even laughed. Alpha barked and some were scared and continued their day.

"Uh, Pinkie? Do you have any idea who this wolf belongs too?" AJ asked, looking at her sister and the wolf sniffing the stall.

"His name is Alpha and I'm helping him find his sister." Alpha stared off to the distance and found that Arrow's scent leads them to Twilight's library. With luck, she'll be there.

Author's Note:

It's getting lonely in comments. Comment on your favorite part so far in the story.