• Published 28th May 2013
  • 33,973 Views, 1,312 Comments

The Arrival of Ford Mustang - RoyalRainbow



After a mysterious golden light teleports him to Equestria, the human, Ford, has been transformed into a full-grown Pegasus without a Cutie Mark. What challenges await him as he coops his new life in Ponyville?

  • ...
148
 1,312
 33,973

Chapter 5 – First Flying Lessons

Chapter 5 – First Flying Lessons

“PUT ME DOWN! PUT ME DOWN! PUT ME DOWN! PUT ME DOWN!”

“Umm… you might want to rephrase that from where you’re standing.” Rainbow Dash smirks.

I take a moment to look down below. I wasn’t standing on anything. I was dangling in the air, staring down at the town of Ponyville, above hundreds of feet in the air. I let out a big gulp as this sudden realization strikes me with quaking fear.

“GENTLY!” I rephrase to my only salvation at hand-- I mean hoof. “PUT ME DOWN GENTLY!”

Finally, Rainbow Dash swoops down for a clear landing in an open field, which looks like it was part of a park. After she gently places me onto the ground, I try to calm down my racing heart as my legs wouldn’t stop trembling.

“Geez! You’re acting like as if you’ve never flew before.” Rainbow Dash speculates. “You must have hit your head pretty hard to be shaking like that.” I sit myself down before my legs collapse and begin to lower my head for what I am about to say to her.

“Sorry.” I said in a mixture of fear and shame. “I’m not entirely used to flying that much. Mostly, it’s because I’m… sort of… afraid of heights.”

“Hey, it’s okay, Ford.” she reassures me in a gentle voice. “Everypony has something to be afraid of. Well except for me of course ‘cause I’m one of the bravest ponies out there.” I look up to her after hearing her boast of heroism, which made me smile a bit. “My point…” she continues. “…is that no matter what, I won’t force you into something that you’re not comfortable with. But hopefully, when we complete your training, you might be able to appreciate the true joys of flying as much as I do.”

“But… what if I fall from the sky?” I ask nervously.

“That’s easy!” Rainbow Dash answers cheerfully. “I’ll just be there to catch you and we can start over again! Trust me, you couldn’t be in safer hooves than yours truly!”

“Promise?”

“Pinkie Promise.” She lends a hoof towards me.

I give in some thoughts on Rainbow Dash’s words. Sure I am afraid to try some that can be as dangerous as flying, but at the same time, I couldn’t be any more excited to do this since this is something I will never experience back on Earth. Plus, Rainbow Dash is taking the time to teach me, so I can’t let her down now. With renewed determination, I grab her hoof as she pulls me up.

“Alright! Let’s do this!” I said with excitement.

“That’s the spirit!” she cheers. “Now, the first we need to do is to take a look at your body!” I couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow at her while bearing a mischievous grin.

“D-don’t get any funny ideas, smart guy!” she reacts sharply with a rosy blush. “I just want to do a thorough inspection to see what we need to work on before we can begin your training.”

I present myself to Dash as I become just as cooperative as if I was going to see a doctor. Dash examines nearly every part of my body (thank goodness it wasn’t EVERY part of my body). As she conducts her inspection, her hooves press around my muscular areas. Probably to try to find any tensions and weakpoints. Her touch ranges between firm and gentle. This must be what’s like to get one of those massages or something like that. Great, now I’m the one who is blushing! Hope Rainbow Dash doesn’t notice it! Lastly, she looks at my wings. She expands each of them, and then she feels the winged limb and the feathers in-between each other. When she ruffles through my feathers, I feel this unusual tingling sensation back there. I guess it’s true what fanfic writers say about them: Pegasus wings are very sensitive.

“Take it easy back there!” I giggle lightly. “That kind of tickles!”

“Huh… guess I should keep that in mind next time.” she says to herself quietly.

“What?” I response, wanting to make sure I heard that correctly.

“Nothing!” she speaks shockingly. “Now stop fidgeting! I’m almost done here!”

After her examination, she is ready to give her report.

“Well the good news is that your muscles in general are in good condition. The only bad news is that your wings are fairly weak compared to the rest of your body.” I look at my poor wings as I sigh sadly from hearing that fact. That might explain why I couldn’t fly initially.

“But that’s okay.” She continues as she rummages through her saddlebag. “At least we now know what we need to work on first. And with that in mind…” Rainbow then turns around wearing a whistle around her neck as she places her hat on that’s similar to the one in that “Hurricane Fluttershy” episode.

“Let the training commence!” she announces gleefully before blowing her whistle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For nearly an hour, I had to do various amount of exercises to help build up my wings’ strength. One example I had to do is “Wing Push Ups.” I was never good at push ups in general. On Earth, I can at least 10 to 12 at a time. But here on Equestria, when I tried Wing Push Ups for the first time, I could barely pull off one. The anatomy on these wings was far different to figure out compared to my other limbs. Rainbow Dash assigns me to do at least ten Wing Push Ups before we meet each other again for training. Afterwards, we worked on other forms of exercises, including stretches, aerobics, and practicing my wing flapping. Finally, it was time to see the result of my progress.

“Now remember what I’ve taught you.” Rainbow Dash instructs me. “Spread your wings to full length span, move your wings in that up-and-down motion like I’ve shown you, and keep that flapping in a nice, steady, rhythmic motion. Ready?”

I spread my wings and nod towards Rainbow. And with that, she blows her whistle to give me the “go” signal. I take a deep breath and I close my eyes. I start to move my wings up and down. Eventually, I put more effort after each flap I make. I was in such a trance; it almost feels like I’m just walking on thin air. Wait a minute. Why are my hooves not touching the ground at all? Once I realize this, I open one of my eyes and look down. I still see the ground, but looks like it was a little further away from me. But as I thought, my hooves weren’t touching the ground. I must be about several feet in the air. Then, that means… I’m actually flying!

“I… I can’t believe it!” I gasp in excitement. “I’m flying! I’m actually flying!” I was excited by all of this, that I couldn’t contain myself any further.

“WOO-HOO!!” I shout happily. “I’M FLYING! I REALLY AM FLYING!”

“Way to go, Mustang!” Rainbow cheers with enthusiasm. “You’re a real Pegasus now!”

As I continue to squeal in excitement, I didn’t take notice that my wings were getting tired from the constant flapping. Eventually, my wings come to a stop.

“Uh-oh.” I mutter upon this realization, and I come crashing down on the hard, grassy floor. Sigh. So much for my moment of triumph, I guess.

“I guess we’ll have to work on your landing next time.” Rainbow chuckles sheepishly.

“Agree.” I groan with a small smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After our first day of training, Rainbow escorts me back to Sweet Apple Acres. This time, the flight back home is much less scarier than before. I definitely enjoy the scenery as we were passing by. Soon enough, we arrive at the front porch at Applejack’s home.

“Rainbow Dash, I can’t thank you enough for that you have done!” I said to her.

“No problem, Ford! Now don’t forget what we’ve talked about. I better see you do ten Wing Push Ups by the time I see you for training next week. And be sure to do your routine exercises every day.” Rainbow Dash instructs me.

“Yes, ma’am.” I salute to her cheerfully.

“Oh wait! I almost forgot!” She takes off her saddlebag and hands it over to me. “These are for you.”

“For me?” I ask sheepishly.

“Of course! I already have a pair of my own, so I figure that you might need a one yourself. And hey, look inside.”

I open the bag and look inside. They were a bunch of books dealing more with flying lessons and such.

“I figure that in case you want to do some extra credit, you might consider reading these books for yourself.” she smiles sheepishly as she rubs the back of her head.

“Thanks Rainbow Dash.” I smile back warmly at receiving the gift. “I’ll definitely make good use out of them.”

“Well, I better get going.” she waves goodbye. “Until next time, train hard!” And in a flash, she blasts into the sky while I wave goodbye to her.

You know, maybe being stuck in Equestria wouldn’t be so bad after all.