• Published 30th May 2013
  • 3,152 Views, 142 Comments

Tenna - Listener



Tenna is a changeling. Tenna wants to fit in. But most of all, Tenna wants to be herself. Can the timid changeling overcome her fear and show her real self?

  • ...
6
 142
 3,152

All Your Hopes

Tenna

Chapter Two: Extinguished and Rekindled Hopes

Written by: Listener



Tenna ran.

She ran from what she didn’t know.

She ran from what had happened.

She ran from what might have happened.

She ran, tears threatening to fall from her face.

How could she have been so stupid, to think that ponies would accept her! They never had, and never will.

“Hey, watch it! Dash, that hurts!” Tech complained as he was dragged along through the sky.

“Well, somepony’s got to make sure that you get home and your parents find out about your little stunt. Making me drop that thing by pushing me? Seriously, what were you thinking? And what are they teaching you guys in school these days? Urg, I so do not have time for this! I gotta get ready for tomorrow. They’re even sending down someone from Canterlot to check that I’ve done my work correctly.”

Tech struggled in her grasp. Seeing his opportunity, he seized it.

“She's already here! I saw her with a small dragon just about twenty minutes ago!”

Dash stopped, but didn't loosen her grip. “Are you sure kid? If you're just trying to wiggle out of being in trouble, I should warn you, you can't fool the master.”

Tech nodded enthusiastically. “Yes! I swear that I'm telling the truth.”

Dash loosened her grip, dropping it completely. “I'll trust you this time. But if you're lying, I'll come back and drag your butt to your parents again.” She said after thinking about it for a minute. She smiled. “Besides, I'm being hypocritical, aren't I? I know what's it like to be young and reckless.”

Tech grinned, glad to be back on good terms with the weather pony. “What are you talking about? You're still young and reckless.” He teased.

Dash laughed, before taking to the air. “Two things though, if you see that thing again, come and find me.”

“Dash... she's not a thing. She's a she”

“Fine then. If you see her again, come find me.” She said in an insisting manner.

Tech grudgingly nodded. “Fine.” He said, sighing heavily throughout the word.

Dash nodded, satisfied with that answer. “Okay. I'm sorry for being...” She paused, thinking for a word. Tech decided to butt in at this.

“Stupid?”

Dash glared, but her eyes were laughing.

“I was going to say brash, but stupid works too. But I just had a bad feeling about her.”

“But you didn't even get to know her! She's a good friend!” Tech said, defending Tenna.

Dash nodded, being serious for a moment, which was unusual for her. “Let me rephrase. I don't exactly have a bad feeling about her, but...” She sighed, shaking her head. “I got a feeling in my gut that... something bad is coming, something that's connected to her.”

She blinked, switching back into her usual self. “What am I saying, huh kid? Bad feelings, things to come?” She laughed. “Also, you said that you had seen this pony from Canterlot. What's he look like?”

Tech thought for a moment. “Well, he's a she, for starters. A unicorn, purple, and she's got a small purple dragon that rides on her back. I think he might be a baby or something.”

“Names?”

“Um... Twilight Sparkle, I think is the unicorn. And the dragon's name is Spike.”

Dash nodded. “Thanks kid. Oh, and make sure you know when it's alright to push someone next time, yeah?”

Tech nodded back, and then Dash was gone.

Tech smiled, pleased that he was no longer in trouble. Then his good mood came crashing down around him as he quickly remembered the reason that Dash was dragging him off to his parents in the first place.

He gasped, worry coursing through his system.

“Oh crap! Tenna!”

000

Tenna ran.

She ran until she couldn't run anymore. Slowing, she breathed heavily, blood pounding in her ears. She hadn't run like this in a while.

She thought about it for a moment.

Had she ever run like this before? So many things left unknown. Who was she? What was she? All she had was her name and a word. One single word that defined her, defined who she was, defined how she lived.

Changeling.

The night was falling now. She hadn't gone far, the town was still visible. She let out a breath, trembling as the air started to cool.

She couldn't take it.

She just couldn't. She had let someone in, actually started to trust someone, and then it had all fallen apart. She could barely remember what had happened. She had been talking to Tech, and then she was on the ground. Then she had been in the air...

Then suddenly she was in someone’s cabbage cart.

She let out a small smile before it slipped again.

She was falling apart.

She didn't know what to do.

She felt empty. Like there was supposed to be something more here. Something here, or someone else here with her.

Her breath hitched for a moment, before the dam broke.

Tenna started to cry.

000

“Have you seen a black pony anywhere? She's about this tall? Has a clip in her hair?”

“Have you seen anypony new around town today? No, someone besides the purple unicorn.”

“Have you seen somepony named Tenna?

“Have you seen her?”

Tech sighed in frustration. Nopony had seen Tenna! Or if they had, they weren't telling. Or their leads led nowhere.

It was almost night time, and almost time to check in with his parents, but he didn't want to just leave without finding out if she was at least okay.

“Dammit Dash...” He whispered to himself, allowing himself at least that small way of showing his unhappiness.

Seeing one last pony he decided to give it one last shot. He didn't expect anything, but he hoped.

Like he had been hoping all day.

What was it about her? He had only known Tenna for less than a day, with him supplying more of the conversation than Tenna. Then why couldn't he just move on? She clearly wasn't going to stay in town, she was too uncomfortable.

Then why...

Tech sighed heavily, approaching the tan earth pony with a navy blue vest on.

“Excuse me, but have you seen a black pony? She has a slightly messy mane? About this high?” Tech asked, holding his hoof off the ground to show her approximate height.

The pony stopped, putting a hoof to his muzzle and thinking.

“You know what? As a matter fact, I have seen someone matching that description.”

Tech's ears perked up at this, a hopeful look coming onto his face.

“Did you see which way she was going?” Tech asked, hope also creeping into his voice. Maybe he could find her and still be home on time.

“She was running up towards Sweet Apple Acres. Poor thing, looked like she was about to cry. If you're her friend, I suggest you try to cheer her up.”

Tech smiled at the stranger. “Thanks!”

He smiled at him, and nodded. “No problems.”

Tech turned and shot off towards the farm, hoping to catch up with Tenna.

000

Tenna sat there, under the tree.

Crying.

She wept for everything that had happened.

She wept for the events that she knew were to come.

Always an outcast.

Never herself.

“Hello? Anyone out here?”

Tenna stopped, fear seizing through her. In a flash of muted green light, she lay there as the gray pegasus, the tear stains still there even through her disguise.

“Ah said, is anyone out here?”

Tenna considered running again and stood on shaky legs. Grass rustled beneath her feet, and she tried to walk forward, but couldn't. She was too tired, too hungry, and too exhausted, both physically and mentally.

“Ah won't ask again. Who's out here?”

Tenna tried to talk, and it came out in a hoarse voice. Swallowing hard, she tried again.

“I-I am.”

The hoofsteps started coming towards her again.

“May I ask what in the hay you are doing in my apple field?”

Tenna looked at the orange mare with the hat, barely registering the question.

“Woah, hey there honey, you don't look so hot. Come here, let me make sure you're okay.”

Tenna walked slowly towards the farmer, stopping in front of her. She was tired, and her exhaustion had blunted her apprehension about being around her. Besides, she looked like a normal pony.

Applejack looked her over with a concerned eye, taking in how Tenna looked.

She didn’t look good. She looked... defeated.

“Come on sugarcube, let’s get you back to the house. We’ll get some food in you, okay?” Applejack said, walking over and putting a hoof around her neck, gently guiding her towards her house. “It’s not that far. Ah’m Applejack, by the way. What’s your name?”

“Ten-Tenna.”

“That’s a might pretty name there Tenna.”

Tenna leaned into Applejack, letting her lead her to the house that was growing bigger through the trees, until they finally emerged from the treeline. Almost immediately the sounds of a large gathering assaulted their ears. Tenna’s ears flattened against her head, while she looked around.

“So... many... ponies...” She whispered softly.

Applejack noticed, and nodded. “Hey, we can go inside if it’ll be more comfortable. Less ponies and all.”

Tenna nodded, keeping a wary eye on the crowd around several outside tables, eating what looked like a late dinner. Keeping a wary eye on the gathering she saw a few of the ponies look over and nod in their general direction, but for the most part the gathering ignored her. Applejack led her around the gathering, keeping a little distance between them and the dinner.

Getting to the house, Applejack opened her door, yelling out.

“Granny! Big Mac? Applebloom? Anyone in here?”

“Ah am! What’s going on Applejack?” Applebloom yelled out from their kitchen.

“We got company. We have any food left in the kitchen?”

Applebloom stuck her head around the corner, getting a look at their guest. “We have some grilled cheese and some apple’s left over from dinner. We made more than enough!”

Applejack goes forward towards her and gives a slight noogie.

“Okay then. Why don’t you go outside and finish catching up with the family now?” She said, making the suggestion in a tone that Applebloom knew that it would be smart to follow it.

Applebloom nodded, and went past the pair. She turned to Tenna and smiled at her before heading outside.

“Hey, tell Granny and Mac that we got guests!”

A call of affirmation came into the house before the door shut behind her.

“Well, we’ve got grilled cheese apparently. That sound good to you?”

Tenna rubbed a hoof across her eyes, wiping some of the grit away from them.

“Ye-yeah. That does sound good.” She said, following Applejack into the kitchen and sitting at the table in it.

Applejack worked around the counter, grabbing some food and setting it on a plate before bringing it over to the table.

“There we go. We got some grilled cheese, with some daisies and apple slices. It’s not much, but it’s hearty and will fill your belly.”

Tenna nodded quickly, before digging in, devouring the grilled cheese and chomping away at the apples.

Applejack watched in silence, before asking a question. “So. Why were you in our field anyway?”

Tenna looked up and swallowed her mouthful.

“I... uh..” She stuttered, unsure of how to respond. “I was...”

She trailed off, her gaze dropping back down to the food. Applejack sensed this and dropped the subject, but changed it.

“So, then... ah.. What are you doing in town? You here for the Summer Sun Celebration?”

Tenna slowly nodded. “I-I was passing through, but I’m planning on staying here for it.”

“Ya got anywhere to stay, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

Tenna slowly chewed another apple slice before slowly shaking her head.

“Well, you’re welcome to stay here at Sweet Apple Acres for a while Tenna. We got plenty of room.”

Tenna looked up, smiling slightly.

“I’d like that.” She said, tapping her hoofs lightly together again. “Thanks.”

The door opened, and both heads swiveled towards the sound, Tenna slightly apprehensive about meeting someone new.

“Aj?” Came a masculine voice.

“In the kitchen Mac!” Applejack called out. “Did Applebloom tell you?”

“Eeyup. We got company for the night?”

“Looks that way. Can ya get the guest bedroom ready?”

“Eeyup.” Sounds of footsteps went through the hallway past the kitchen and up the stairs.

Applejack looked at Tenna, noticing the look that she was getting. “That’s Big Macintosh, my brother.”

“Oh-okay.”

“Now, there’s supposed to be party in town this afternoon. You want’ta come, or you wanna stay here and sleep?”

Tenna brought a hoof to her chin. “Can I just sleep? I-I’m tired.”

Applejack nodded. “Come on, Mac should be done getting it ready.” She said, grabbing the now clean plate and tossing it into the sink. “It’s the first room on the left.”

Tenna stood up and followed the orange mare.

“I-I like your hat.” She said, making a slight motion to the stetson on her head.

Applejack looked back at Tenna, smiling. “Thanks Tenna. It’s been in the family for a long time.”

Tenna smiled back, growing slowly more comfortable around the other pony.

Getting to the top of the stairs, Applejack pushed the door open, revealing a simple bedroom. It had a window looking over the orchard and the town in the distance, and a bed. It also had a dresser with a mirror on top of it.

“Make yourself comfortable. I’ll come by and wake you up whenever it’s getting close to the celebration, ‘kay? If you wake up before then, come by the library in town. I hear there’s gonna be a party there.” Applejack said, smiling at Tenna as she slowly climbed into the bed. “I’ll leave ya to get some sleep. Night Tenna”

With those words, she backed out of the room and shut it. Tenna didn’t hear her though. She was already asleep, exhausted from her day.

Knocking came from downstairs.

Applejack sighed. “Ah’m coming!” She called, going down the stairs and heading towards the door.

Getting to the door, she opened to see a green pegasus. “Tech, what in the hay are you doing here? Do your parents know you’re here?”

Tech shook his head. “No.... but I’m looking for someone called Tenna. Someone said that they had seen her coming up here.”

“Tenna? She’s upstairs right now.”

Tech sighed in relief. “Finally found her. Can I see her?”

Applejack gave Tech a level stare. “Depends. What was she so upset about whenever ah found her?”

“That would be Rainbow Dash. She came in without getting all the facts... again.” Tech explained, rolling his eyes.

“Rainbow? Dammit, that girl needs to think before doing stuff like this. This is third time this month that she’s sent someone crying. What was she thinking, making that sweet pegasus cry like that.” Applejack complained to Tech.

Tech looked at Applejack in confusion. “Pegasus? But Tenna is a.... she isn’t a pegasus.”

Applejack looked at Tech weirdly. “Hun, I just saw her. She is definitely a pegasus. Blue mane with a grey coat? Cloud cutie-mark?”

“That isn’t... What?”

Applejack sighed. “So you know Tenna, but you don’t know what she looks like. Are you sure you know her?”

Tech nodded vigorously. “Of course I know her! Can I see her?”

Applejack shook her head. “Not at the moment. She’s asleep right now. And anyway we need to get you back to your parents.”

“Applejack.” Tech whined, putting on a pouting face.

“Tech, that worked when you were three. You’re sixteen now. It stopped working a long time ago.”

Tech sighed. “Fine. But is she okay?”

Applejack nodded. “She’ll be fine. She just looks like she needed a good night’s sleep. Now come on, we’re getting back to town for that party. Your parents should be there.”

Tech nodded. “I’m coming back later to make sure though, okay?”

Applejack nodded. “Okay. I can live with that. Now come on, we’re going to be late.”

Applejack took off at a run, leaving Tech behind until he took to the air, wings flapping.

Tech even managed beat her to the library.

000

Tenna awoke.

Tenna sat up, trying to remember where she was before she relaxed, remembering. She was at a farm. Sweet Apple Acres.

Suddenly a familiar face filled her vision. Surprised, she scooted back in bed before realizing that it was just Tech.

“So. Applejack thinks you’re Tenna. But you don’t look like her. What gives? Are you a spy?” Tech asked, throwing out questions in a rapid fire.

“Whoa, whoa, Tech. S-slow down. Slow down! I-I am Tenna. Just... different.”

Tech looked at her with an examining eye. “Then why are you suddenly a pegasus?”

“I... I can do this... thing. I can change what I look like at will.” Tenna said, looking at the door to make sure that it was closed.

“Really? Can you look like me then?” Tech asked, a curious look coming over his face.

Tenna looked at him. “Wh-What?”

“Could you look like me?” Tech asked.

“I suppose?” Tenna said, unsure where this was going.

“Show me.”

Tenna blinked at him. “Wh-what?”

“Could you show me? Please?” Tech asked again.

Tenna blinked at him again, and in a flash of green light became an exact copy of Tech.

“Woah” Tech said, amazed. Tilting his head, he saw that the other Tech did the same.

He laughed. “Okay, okay, I believe that you’re Tenna. Well, with that covered, we need to get to town!”

“To town? Why?” Tenna asked while she assumed her disguise again.

“The Summer Sun Celebration! It’s happening in about twenty minutes! We gotta go!” Tech said urgently.

“But... why can’t we do that here?” Tenna asked tiredly.

“Because Celestia is down there! Now come on!” Tech said, rushing out the door.

Tenna sighed quietly before getting out of bed, running after Tech down the stairs and out the door.

“We gotta hurry, we can’t be late!” Tech said, ambushing her when she got out the door, grabbing her hoof and running.

Tenna stumbled before getting into the rhythm of running on three hooves, Tech pulling on her the entire time. Eventually town came into view, and Tech finished dragging her to Town hall an silently slipped inside. They made it in time to hear the mayor start her speech.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!”

Tenna moved towards the back of the crowd, trying to be as small possible to the crowd. Tech followed, waving a hoof at his parents to let them know he made it.

“In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria... Princess Celestia!”

A white unicorn pulled on a rope, and the curtain fell away to reveal... nothing.

A gasp came up from around the room. Tenna leaned towards Tech. “Um, she’s not there.”

Tech looks back at her. “Yeah. We know.”

All of a sudden a black cloud condensed on the balcony, forming a large pony with wings.... and a horn.

“Wait, I-I thought you said that there were only two alicorns?” Tenna asked over the din.

“I thought there were only two!” Tech said back.

“Then... what?”

“I don’t know!”

Tenna looked back up at the figure, fear coming into her heart, but something more. She felt like she knew what that figure was. She felt her brows furrow in concentration, trying to remember why she seemed so familiar.

That is, until a purple unicorn they knew stood up to her.

“Twilight?” Tech whispered, confused,

Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?”

I did. And I know who you are. You're the Mare in the Moon – Nightmare Moon!”

Loud gasps filled the room once again.

“Well well well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here.”

You're here to... to...” Twilight gulped audibly.

Nightmare moon laughed evilly, casing a icy feeling to grow on the ponies in the room.

Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!”

Author's Note:

Holy shit, this took off, didn't it? Here's another chapter for you all.

Enjoy, and give Tenna a hug. She likes them.