• Published 28th May 2013
  • 1,505 Views, 74 Comments

Davenport’s Secret - Random_User



Davenport's real talent is not known to many ponies, and he would like it to stay that way. Due to a miss-delivered letter, Davenport's true talent may be revealed to Ponyville.

  • ...
7
 74
 1,505

Chapter 4: A Mark Explained and a Secret Revealed

Davenport's Secret

Chapter 4: A Mark Explained and a Secret Revealed

Davenport struggled to get the key in the lock. No matter what he did, the key refused to enter the keyhole. The rain ran through his mane, and into his eyes. He couldn’t tell if the cold rain was what was causing his eyes to burn, or the effort of holding back his frustrated tears.

A yellow wing extended over his head, shielding him from the rain, and letting him finally get the lock undone.

“Thank you for the help.” He opened the door, bowed to her, and waved her into the shop. “I must insist the lady goes first.” After letting Fluttershy in, he picked up the sopping picnic basket, and stepped into the shop. He shut the door behind them, and led her to his upstairs apartment. The living space was neat, practical, and understated, much like its owner.

He pulled off his soggy vest and bowtie, and hung them on hooks mounted to the wall. “Let me get you some towels, I would hate to see you catch a cold.” He ran into the bathroom, and grabbed a couple of his best towels. He rushed back out, and gave them to her.

Fluttershy immediately began to dry herself off. After a moment, she looked over at him expectantly. “What about you, aren’t you going to dry off?”

Davenport blinked at the question, and then laughed at himself. “I guess I was too worried about you, I’ll be right back.” As he grabbed a few more towels for both of them, he looked at himself in the mirror. His mane was a wreck and his brown coat was a disaster, just like the date. He forlornly whispered to his reflection, “Well Davenport, I hope you enjoyed the evening, it’s most likely the last you will have with her.”

He stepped back out of the bathroom, and offered her more towels. She took one, and thanked him.

Davenport glanced into the kitchen, trying to think of something he could offer her. “Would you like some tea? It would help you get warm again.”

She nodded, and said what sounded like a yes from underneath a towel, as she dried the last of her mane. He put a kettle on to boil, and prepared a tea pot with the best tea he had. He went back to where he had put down the picnic basket in the entryway, and brought it into the kitchen. The basket’s contents were ruined. All of Pinkie’s desserts had turned into a lump of sugary goo and wrappings. He sighed, and dumped the mess into the trash can.

Fluttershy looked at him with concern. “Davenport, you still haven’t dried yourself.”

“You’re right, give me a moment.” He picked up a towel, and began to rub himself down. His emotions started to get the better of him, and he was glad he had the excuse to cover his face with the towel. He thought, How did I ever think this was going to turn out alright? I’ll be lucky if she even talks to me again.

A gentle hoof to the edge of the towel, and the side of his face, stopped him. He slowly lowered the cloth, and met her blue, questioning eyes. She tenderly asked, “Are you alright?”

His voice almost broke, as he answered, “I’m so sorry, Fluttershy.”

She seemed surprised by his statement. “Why are you apologizing? You didn’t do anything wrong.”

He laughed mirthlessly. “Everything went wrong. The quiet restaurant with outdoor seating that I had been told was perfect had a grease fire, so we had to go get hay burgers. The lighting bug flight at the pond by Sweet Apple acres was overrun by fruit the bats flying around, thanks to Winona’s barking. Even when we moved to the park, that freak storm from the Everfree Forest all but froze and drowned us. The whole evening was a disaster. The only thing that went right was when we picked up the desserts from Sugar Cube Corner, and they were ruined by the rain.”

She giggled, and he looked at her in disbelief. “I had fun. It was like having an adventure, without ever leaving Ponyville.” The look of relief on his face made her smile a warm, soothing smile. “You talked to my friends about what I would like, didn’t you?”

He nodded, causing droplets from his still wet mane to fall to the floor. “I wanted tonight to be special, something you would remember. I guess you forgetting tonight won’t be a problem, but it still didn’t turn out at all like I had planned.” The kettle whistled, and he took a moment to take it off the stove and pour the hot water into the pot. “Well, at least we will have some nice, calming, chamomile tea to end the evening.”

“That sounds wonderful.”

They both finished drying off, Davenport poured the tea, and they made their way to the den. There were a couple of chairs, but it was the sofa that dominated the room, not due to its size, but due to its horrible eggplant purple upholstery. Upon seeing the couch, Fluttershy looked at him, waiting to hear his explanation for the monstrosity. He grinned, and gave her a theatrically exaggerated sigh. “I admit it, I couldn’t sell the thing. It may look ghastly, but it’s very comfortable. I couldn’t have it taking up room downstairs, so I brought it up here.”

After sitting down on the sofa, Fluttershy agreed that its appearance could be overlooked, since it seated so well. Davenport joined her on the couch, a respectful distance from her. She looked around the room, and noticed that he did not have anything out that showed what his interests were. A few books sat on a shelf. There was a single picture that showed Canterlot at night with a whimsically swirling sky and too bright stars from an artist she thought she recognized, but could not name. The rest of the room was almost bare. “What do you do when you’re not taking care of your shop?”

He followed her eyes around the room, and saw why she was having trouble picturing him doing anything besides work. “I don’t keep much of my hobby stuff up here. I typically go back down to the shop and set up on a sofa, so I keep my supplies down there.”

She looked over at him questioningly. “What kind of supplies?”

Well, you’re going to tell her friends, you should tell her too, he thought to himself. “I write as a hobby. I’ll show you, after we get through with the tea. I don’t trust myself going down stairs with beverages. The last time I tried, I ended up wearing my coffee.”

“I don’t want to be a bother. We could just stay up here.” Fluttershy started to duck her face behind her mane, as it came in front of her face she realized what a state it was in. “Oh my, I must look a mess.”

“I don’t think so. Your mane is in better shape than mine. Would you like a brush and comb?” She demurely nodded, and he retrieved a clean set for her.

She turned, putting her back to him, and started working the comb through her tail. She looked over her shoulder, blushed brightly, and asked, “Um, could you help me with my mane? That is, if you don’t mind?”

After a brief hesitation, he carefully began, making sure to be as gentle as possible with each stroke. After a couple of quiet minutes, she noted, “You must have brushed a long mane before.”

He smiled, at the back of her head. “My sister used to make me comb her mane when we were foals. She was the elder, and bigger, so I didn’t have much a choice. It wasn’t exactly torture, so I went along with it. I’m glad I haven’t lost the touch.” He finished with the back, she turned to face him, and he took the comb. He began by parting her bangs, revealing her face.

“I didn’t know you have a sister.”

His hooves continued their work, as he explained, “She lives in Fillydelphia, and helps run the family business. Dove Tail is a furniture maker, like my father.” He paused, feeling the soft texture of her mane. After a moment, he noticed the look she was giving him. He blushed, and let go of the strand of mane that he had been absentmindedly holding. Suppressing a smile, she put the strand behind her ear.

He put the comb down, and got off the couch. “Would you like to see what I work on in my spare time?” He extended a hoof, and helped her off the couch. They made their way back downstairs, and Davenport made a grand, sweeping gesture. “Take a seat, any sofa you want.”

She chose one of the smaller sofas, and settled down. He looked at her, and thought, Here’s the mare that I would have used for Rainbow’s advertisement idea. He ducked behind the counter, reached into a back corner under the cash register, and pulled out a key. He then went into his storage room, and unlocked a drawer on his filing cabinet. He picked up his work and supplies from their hiding space, and returned to the showroom.

Fluttershy scooted over, so that he could sit beside her. He joined her, cautiously noting how much closer to her he was than when they were upstairs, and gave her the draft. “As part of getting help from your friends, I was promised to tell them about this, and they swore not to tell another soul. I’m glad I could tell you first. You are the only pony that will see this draft, besides me and my editor.”

She looked at the title page, and then looked up at him in amazement. She paged through the draft, scanning passages at random, and couldn’t believe what she was holding. “You wrote this? The other’s too?”

“Yes, I’m proud of all my works. I put a lot of effort into them, but my editor swears that my writing has improved with the last couple of books. I like to think it had something to do with the special quills that I have been getting.” He held up one of the quills made from one of her feathers, and she blushed. “I hope you don’t mind.”

She shook her head, the blush still lingering on her cheeks.

“Most ponies think my cutie mark has to do with my selling sofas and quills. It’s actually due to my ability to write stories. When I was a colt, a teacher of mine saw that I had some writing talent. She pushed me to enter a short story writing contest for school aged ponies. I decided to give it a try. I started writing, while curled up on one of dad’s sofas, back in the workshop. While I was writing one evening, my cutie mark appeared. I ended up placing in the contest.”

“I hate that you didn’t win.”

Davenport grinned, and leaned back on the sofa. “There wasn’t a standard awards setup in the contest. Each entry was judged on its theme. My story was an action, adventure story, and I won that category. I guess the organizers of the contest didn’t want to have direct competition between young writers, and came up with the theme prizes instead. I’ve been writing ever since. I have a couple of noms de plume, and thankfully nopony has figured out they are connected to me.”

“Rainbow Dash and Twilight are both going to so excited to find out.” Fluttershy grinned, imagining the looks on her friend’s faces.

“Twilight already knows.” Davenport explained about the miss-delivered letter, Rainbow’s quest to find out about its contents, and its resulting fallout.

By the end of Davenport’s telling, Fluttershy’s wings were spread and bristled in irritation. “Ooooo, that Rainbow Dash! She should know better than to go sneaking around and spying on ponies! Especially after the way she felt when she was featured by Gabby Gums!” Her eyes had taken on a fierce light, and she seemed posed to wrestle with a bear.

Davenport had never seen her in such a state, and he tried his best to calm the typically benign mare down. “She didn’t really do anything, other than get Rarity dirty. Think of it this way, had it not been for her, we wouldn’t have had our ‘adventure’.”

Fluttershy’s wings slowly folded back, and her calm demeanor returned. “I’m so embarrassed. I’m sorry I got angry like that. You’re right, she didn’t hurt anything or anypony, but it still wasn’t very nice.” She gave him the draft back, and he got up to put it back in its proper place. As he returned from the storage room, she glanced over his shoulder, and looked at the shop’s clock. Her wings snapped open, as she realized the time. “It’s already that late?! I should be going.”

Davenport winced at the thought of her trying to make it back to her cottage in the storm. “You shouldn’t go back out, with the weather this nasty. Stay here for the night, you can have my bed.”

“Where will you sleep?”

He gestured to the numerous sofas in the shop. “I have a variety of spots to choose from. I will be comfortable, I assure you.” He put the draft away, and led her back to his apartment. He changed the sheets for her, picked up his alarm clock, and started to head back down to the shop.

“Davenport, thank you for the wonderful evening, I know it didn’t happen the way you planned, but I really enjoyed it.”

“You’re more than welcome.” After gathering the towels they had used, and putting them in a hamper, he made his way back to the shop, and chose a comfortable méridienne to sleep on. He made sure his alarm was set for the morning, and lay his head down. He smiled to himself. It didn’t turn out the way I had planned, but the date wasn’t a complete disaster. I’ll just have to wait and see if there will be another any time in the future.”

*****

Davenport’s hoof reached for his ringing alarm clock, and met nothing but air. He slowly sat up, momentarily confused at the absence of his clock on the nightstand. As his clarity returned, he remembered where he was. He reached down, silenced the offending time piece, and rolled off the méridienne.

He quietly made his way back into his apartment, and slipped into the bathroom. He recoiled at his reflection. He had never combed his mane last night, and after spending the night in the shop, it showed. He looked like he had been on a three day salt binge, complete with waking up on the floor. After his shower, he managed to get his mane under control. “I wish I had noticed sooner, it’s about time to go see Snips.”

He started to prepare breakfast. As he was heating up some hay bacon, Fluttershy walked in. “Good morning. Did you sleep well?”

She sleepily nodded. “That smells wonderful.”

He set their places, poured some Sweet Apple Acres apple juice, and plated the food. The meal was quiet, both of the ponies comfortable with each other’s presence so conversation was not needed.

After they finished, Davenport gathered their dishes, and put them in the sink. “I don’t want to seem to be an ungracious host, but I have to open the shop. Feel free to use the shower. I should have the coffee ready, by the time you come down.”

“Thank you, but no coffee for me, it gives me the jitters.”

Davenport returned to the shop, and went through the morning routine: making sure the register was ready, checking to see if there were any messes he needed to address, and then opening the blinds and the door. The weather team must have been up early, the remnants of the storm had been cleared away, and Celestia’s sun shone brightly.

He had just poured his cup of coffee, when Fluttershy came down the stairs.

“Are you sure about not wanting a cup? It’s shipped from Donut Joe’s.”

“I’m sure. I have to get back to my animals. Angel is probably upset that I didn’t come home.”

Davenport came from behind the counter. “I hope he doesn’t give you too much of a hard time. I’m glad you stayed. If you had tried to go back during the storm I would have worried about you all night.”

Applejack’s voice sounded from the door, “Have you seen Fluttershy? The girls and I don’t know where… Whoa, nelly!” Applejack’s face turned as red as her namesake at the sight of Fluttershy standing there with the stallion. She slowly began to back out of the shop. “Pardon, I didn’t mean to interrupt nothin’.” Davenport and Fluttershy looked at each other, and then back to Applejack.

Fluttershy’s blush shamed Applejack’s, as she realized what her friend was thinking. She barely managed to raise her voice enough to tell Davenport, “Thank you again, it was a wonderful night.” She walked out the door, Applejack following close behind.

Davenport walked to the door, and watched the pair head towards Fluttershy’s cottage. I’m sure I will be hearing about this later.

*****

The next three days were uneventful for Davenport. None of the Elements had shown up at his shop. Customers came and went as normal. He even finished a chapter in his draft and got it off to his editor well before the deadline.

Having waited the polite amount of time, he once again put on his saddle bags and headed out towards Fluttershy’s cottage. For this trip, he carried sweets from Bon Bon’s shop for Fluttershy, and the set of quills he had promised to Twilight.

As he made his way, he felt the gnawing of trepidation. Had she really liked the evening they had spent together? She seemed to. Had he been too forward when he brushed her mane, or in offering her a place to stay? She had asked him to help with her mane, and her staying was only rational. Did revealing his secret put her off? She seemed to have been excited about it, not repulsed. He stopped, as he came in view of her cottage. His thoughts were a jumble of doubts, worries, and self-assurances that things would turn out just fine.

Davenport’s mental gymnastics kept him from noticing the aura of magic that surrounded his saddle bags. He turned, as they seemed to lift themselves from his back. “What the hay is going…” The next coherent thought he had was, Why is the sky under my hooves?

“Got the varmint with one try, I told y’all I could do it.” Davenport dizzily turned his head, and watched as Applejack finished tying off a rope to a nearby tree. As he looked around, he realized a couple of things. The first being, he was hanging upside down about a pony’s height from the ground, courtesy of Applejack’s rope skills. The second was that four of the five mares that he had made the Pinkie promise with a little over a week ago were looking at him as if deciding what to do with a wild animal they had caught. The last of the mares was frantically leafing through a book, and paid him no attention at all.

Rarity shook her head at the sight of the dangling stallion. “Is this really necessary? I’m sure Davenport will talk to us without all the theatrics.”

Twilight objected as well, but for a procedural reason, rather than civilities. “I have to agree, this may not be necessary. We haven’t established if he would be willing to talk without incentive yet. We seem to have skipped quite a few steps. Tying up the detainee, hanging them upside down, and then getting them to talk aren’t mentioned until chapter eleven.”

Davenport’s eyes widened, as her words sunk in. What kind of book does she have?!

To his surprise, Pinkie pointed towards him accusingly. “It’s totally necessary! He's a big meanie!”

Davenport took a deep, cleansing breath before assuring, “Pinkie, I would have told you about the letter at any time. All you had to do was come by my shop. In fact, I was planning on seeing all of you this afternoon. This is the first day off I’ve had, give me a little slack.”

Applejack leaned in close enough that he could tell her breakfast had consisted of apple flap jacks slathered with apple butter and apple juice to drink. He also could tell that she hadn’t brushed afterward. “We ain’t here about that.”

Rainbow broke in jokingly, “I don’t know about you guys, but that’s what I’m here for.”

After giving Rainbow a sharp look, Applejack continued, “We want to know what happened the other night.”

“You mean the events during our date, or after?”

Applejack’s eyes narrowed and her voice became chillingly serious. “There had better not have been any ‘events’ with Fluttershy after the date, or nopony will ever find what little there will be left of you.”

Davenport’s reply came quickly and sincerely, “I swear by Celestia’s immaculate coat, mane, and tail, I did nothing dishonorable to her at all!”

Applejack back away from him a little, convinced by his words, but she still wanted answers. “Then you shouldn’t have a problem tellin' us exactly what when on that evenin’.”

Despite literally not being in a position to bargain, Davenport vigorously shook his head. The action caused him to sway in the air, which made it very difficult for anypony to take him seriously. “I will do no such thing. If she hasn’t told you yet, then it’s not my place to. We only agreed that I would tell you what was in the letter, nothing more, nothing less.”

Rainbow smiled widely. “That's not going to fly. You're going to talk, right now. Fluttershy is involved, and we take care of our friends.”

Davenport understood where she was coming from, but still would not cave. “If you let me down, as a token of good faith, I'll consider it.”

Rainbow walked over, and stopped Davenport’s swinging. Before he could thank her, she began to poke on his side as if looking for something, freezing the words in his mouth. “Twilight, I think he isn’t going to talk willingly.” Rainbow poked near Davenport’s ribs, and wickedly smiled when he reacted with a twitch. “You’re going to talk now, tough guy.” She extended a wing, and began the torment.

Davenport’s laughing carried for some distance. Rainbow had obviously tickled another pony with her wings before, and it didn’t take long for Davenport’s eyes to water. “Alright, I’ll tell you!”

Rainbow smiled. “Good. Now, spill it.”

“What in the name of Celestia is going on,” Fluttershy shouted, as she flew down the path.

Rarity abashedly waved to her. “Hello darling, we were just having a little discussion with Davenport about how your date went.”

Applejack muttered, “Particularly the part where you stayed the whole night at his place.”

Fluttershy flew over to the tree where the rope had been tied, and began to undo the knot. “Rainbow, this is not how to treat a pony. Applejack, I told you that I stayed the night because of the storm. Twilight, I would have thought you would stop this kind of behavior.”

Twilight didn’t even bat an eye, as she clarified, “I did try to stop it, for a moment. Rainbow and Applejack did not follow the proper procedure for interrogations. I pointed out their errors so they could be more successful in extracting information from Davenport. We had to be certain to take the right steps to maximize the probability that the information he gave us about your well being was accurate.”

Fluttershy paused in her efforts with the knot, gave Twilight an incredulous look, and shook her head. She turned to Rarity next. “Rarity, you of all ponies should have treated Davenport better than this. He has never been anything but kind to you. He even special ordered your chase lounge all the way from Prance.”

“I know darling, it’s just that after hearing about you staying the night at his place I was concerned.”

Pinkie spontaneously confessed, not wanting to suffer Fluttershy’s disappointed stare, “I thought he might have done something mean to you! I'm sorry!” Pinkie started to cry.

Davenport exhaled sharply in disbelief at her emotional outburst. “Pinkie, everything is fine. Don’t get so worked up over this. Nopony has been hurt, unless you count my dignity.” Fluttershy finally got the knot undone, and Davenport braced to hit the ground at the feeling of the rope going slack. When the impact did not come, he opened his eyes, and found that he was being held up by Twilight’s magic. He was gently turned, and then placed back on his hooves. After getting the rope loose from his legs, Davenport promptly sat down, as he tried to overcome the feeling of dizziness from being upside-down for so long.

Fluttershy sat down beside him. “Are you alright?” Davenport nodded slowly, still disoriented. “Applejack, I asked you to tell the others I would talk all of you about what happened when we could all get together.”

Davenport waved an unsteady hoof in their direction. “Now is as good a time as any. I think I still need a minute or two for the blood to flow back where it’s supposed to.”

Fluttershy related the series of mishaps that occurred during the date. As she told how Davenport had offered her shelter for the night, the listening mares realized the gravity of their mistake.

Applejack took off her hat, and apologized. “Sorry. She wouldn’t tell me much more than she stayed the night at your shop. I couldn’t tell if she was just bein’ shy, waitin’ to tell our friends too, or somethin’ bad had happened. She’s like a sister to me, and the rest of us gals. We couldn’t stand the thought of something happening to her.”

Having fully recovered, Davenport smiled. “I have a sister, so I understand. Now, it’s time I kept my end of our bargain.” He smiled over at Rainbow, letting her know he was intentionally going to draw things out. “First, Twilight, in the left, upper pouch of my saddle bags is the set of quills I promised you.”

Twilight opened the designated pouch, and made an adorable sound at seeing the package. “Thank you!”

“You’re welcome.”

Rainbow’s patience reached its limit. “Enough with the polite stuff, tell us!”

Davenport’s smile widened. “The letter was from my editor, telling me about a couple of points he thought I needed to refine in the story that I have been working on.” He paused there, catching Twilight’s eye. She had to work not to laugh, as Rainbow wound herself tighter.

Rainbow shook her hooves toward him pleadingly, the suspense proving to be too much for her. “Please, I can’t take it! What story?!”

“My next novel, ‘Daring Do and the Silver Trident,’ my editor thought I needed to add a little more detail when I described how Daring escaped from the trap I left her in from the previous story.”

Dash seemed frozen in time. She did not move. She did not make a sound; she did not even seem to breathe. Pinkie waved a hoof in front of her stunned friend’s eyes. “Hello, Equestria to Dash!”

Applejack started to get concerned. “I’m thinkin’ she’s in some kind of shock.”

Davenport found himself with his hooves towards the sky for the second time that afternoon, as Rainbow bowled him over with a lunging tackle. She stood above him, wide eyed with excitement. “You’re serious?!”

“I promised I would tell you, now you know. You can ask Twilight, she read the letter.”

Dash turned to Twilight, who affirmed, “It’s true.”

Davenport gave Rainbow a satisfied grin. “Was it really worth all the hassle you went through to know that?”

Rainbow half-lifted him off the ground, as she hugged him. “You have no idea! I love Daring Do! You’ve got to let me read the next book first!”

Fluttershy kindly asked, “Rainbow, would you let go of my coltfriend? He doesn’t look comfortable.”

Rainbow quickly did as Fluttershy asked, releasing him from her overly enthusiastic hold. Davenport didn’t even mind hitting the ground. His mind was completely focused on one thought. She called me her coltfriend!

Rainbow coolly strutted away from him. She glanced over her shoulder at Fluttershy, with a teasing grin. “Just so you know, if you and your coltfriend ever break up, he’s mine. Any pony awesome enough to write the Daring Do books is good enough for me.”

Still on his back, Davenport raised a defiant hoof in the air. “You’re going to have to wait a long time!”

Rarity politely cleared her throat, getting the mares’ attentions. “We should leave these two alone. I think we’ve detained them both long enough with our silliness.” After saying their farewells to the pair, the gathered mares headed back to Ponyville.

Fluttershy waved at their retreating forms, as she spoke to Davenport. “I’m so sorry about that. They look after me. They know I tend to get pushed into things. It’s gotten me into trouble a couple of times.”

“I would never pressure you to do anything you don’t want to.”

She nodded. “I know.”

Davenport made his way over to his saddle bags, and retrieved the box of sweets. “These are for you.” She smiled, and took them from him, with a softly whispered thank you. He rubbed the back of his neck with a hoof, his nerves beginning to return. “Speaking of not forcing you into something you don’t want to do, I would like to ask you something.”

Her eyes explored his, shyly expectant. “What is it?”

“Would you like to try our date again? This time, maybe we can do the things that we planned to.”

She smiled. “I would like that.”