• Published 27th May 2013
  • 7,115 Views, 57 Comments

Love Bug - SoulFyre



A series of short stories following the romantic relationship of Princess Celestia and Queen Chrysalis.

  • ...
8
 57
 7,115

Cake

Cake

TMP Prompt #423: “Sweet Tooth”

“Dammit, Dammit, Dammit.”

Chrysalis was in the Royal Kitchen in front of the Royal Stove. The ponies in the castle really needed to work on their creativity a bit. Or just not bother; kind of weird to name a stove.

Atop the stove was a cake. Well, a cake that was still unconstructed. There were three circular cakes of different sizes that looked quite good for a non scrutinizing eye. But when Chrysalis was finished poking and prodding at them she reached an unfortunate conclusion.

“Why can’t I make a good cake?”

She levitated the cakes from their pans and placed them on the Royal Kitchen Counter in all its cringe-worthy name glory.

Princess Luna, sporting a slight pudge, slowly jabbed her fork at one and took a hesitated bite. She chewed slowly and painfully before forcing herself to swallow.

“Can’t eat anymore.”

This had been Chrysalis’ fourth attempt at making a triple-decker cake and Luna had been tasked with disposing of them. She would have brought them to the castle guards, but they were just so good, even without frosting.

“Then don’t, moron.” Chrysalis had already started mixing up the next batch of batter for another set of cakes.

Luna forced another bite down. “But they’re so good. What was wrong with these ones?”

Chrysalis was rooted around the nearby drawers and cabinets. “They were a little overdone on the edges.”

“So? I’m certain that my sister will love them. She probably wouldn’t even notice the taste the way she shovels cakes down her gullet. I have the newspaper article that had a picture of that framed on my wall. And besides, I liked the cake.”

“Your opinion means little to nothing to me.”

Luna shot a glare at the back of the changeling’s head as she finished the last bite of the smallest section of the discarded cake.

“Ah ha.” Chrysalis removed a towel from one of the drawers and started tearing it into strips. “I’m well aware that Celly would love anything I make, but that’s the problem. I could create a blackened, cracked, vile monstrosity that would cause someone to vomit up their insides and she would ‘love it’.” Chrysalis finished tearing apart the towel and sighed. “I just want to make the perfect cake for my fiancée.”

Luna had cringed at Chrysalis’ description and pushed the rest of the cake away from her. At least that stopped her from potentially exploding.

Chrysalis levitated the strips of towel under the sink and soaked them; wringing them out when she finished.

“What exactly are you doing?”

Chrysalis took a new set of pans and lined them with the slightly damp strips of cloth. “A technique I recall hearing about from one of my subjects. He had infiltrated a wedding as one of the caterers and learned of this technique to prevent the edges hardening when the bakers had misplaced their professional tool for that stuff.

“It was a few years ago and while I feel it would be best to find said tool, I have no desire to tear apart this kitchen. I just don’t have anymore time.”

Chrysalis finished with the strips, poured the batter and put the cake pieces into the oven. “I love her and I will will make the perfect cake if it kills you.”

“...reassuring.”

♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

Princess Celestia couldn’t wait.

Her fiancée had not only cooked her an amazing meal, a pasta dish that was Celestia’s absolute favorite, but had also baked her a cake.

Chrysalis had left to retrieve it only a moment ago and Celestia was already tapping her hoof impatiently.

Saying that Celestia loved cake was an understatement that bordered on blasphemy. One of the greatest dishonors a noble could receive was being served no dessert during a dinner party with the princess. If the nobles acted like children, they would be treated like children.

A cake made specially for her by the love of her life was too much. She was debating with herself on whether she should rush after Chrysalis or not when the private dining room’s door opened.

Chrysalis levitated from behind her back the most beautiful cake Celestia had ever seen.

The frosting was white with a light green trim. The trim was designed to look like flames, similar to the ones that enveloped Chrysalis when she shifted her form. Around the center section of the cake were small frosting versions of Celestia’s cutie mark while the bottom section was covered in green hearts. The top section had ‘Chrysie ♡ Celly’ wrapped around it; Chrysie in green, Celly in yellow, and the heart a mix of both.

Her mouth was watering at the sight and it took all her willpower not to launch herself at the cake and her lover.

Chrysalis set the cake down in front of Celestia before taking a seat across from her. The alicorn took time to marvel at the cake and then met her fiancée’s expectant eyes.

Instead of burying her face into the pastry she levitated a fork and took a small piece. When the piece met her tongue a burst of pure deliciousness invaded her senses. It was pure bliss.

It didn’t take more than a few minutes for the cake to disappear.

Chrysalis was wide-eyed at the vicious display of cake brutality. She’d only been able to get to bites before Celestia tore into it; completely forgoing the fork.

When her lover lifted her head from the scene of the crime Chrysalis found herself laughing at her frosting-coated face.

Celestia narrowed her eyes. Before she could lick her face clean, Chrysalis beat her to it.

Celestia blushed.

“I take it you liked it.”

“Truly the greatest cake ever made,” Celestia gave her a quick kiss, “you making it was just the icing on the cake.”

“Technically I used frosting.”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “You sure know how to ruin a cheesy romantic line.”

Chrysalis pecked her on the lips. “That’s half the fun.”

♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

Luna was slowly making her way towards her room in order to lay down and attempt quell the nauseating feeling from her previous indulgence.

As she reached her bedroom door she heard the telltale pop of a teleportation spell nearby. She turned to look further down the hall and saw her sister pinning Chrysalis against her own chamber doors; engaging in a heated battle of the tongues.

“She just had to miss the inside of her room.” Luna groaned and mock gagged at the sight. Not a good idea...

She rushed to the nearest bathroom.

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking so long, but I've been overly busy. Anyway, just a note on the towel thing: apparently it was something my great aunt used to do with her cakes. Not sure if it actually works or not, but oh well.

Hope you enjoy.