• Published 26th Jun 2013
  • 14,471 Views, 674 Comments

Unwell - HazamaBrony



Twilight Sparkle struggles to balance a new relationship with Rainbow Dash and her mental illness.

  • ...
37
 674
 14,471

Rainbow Dash 2

Today was the day. No more chickening out. It was a beautiful Thursday, the sun was shining, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky (thanks to me), and Twilight was finally back in town. I had tried to catch her after she had gotten home, but she had gotten back late yesterday, well after I had gone to bed, so I hadn’t managed to corner… er, talk to her yet. All I had to do was find her, and tell her before my courage ran out.

The finding part was proving harder than I had expected. Seriously, Ponyville wasn’t that big of a town, how could I be missing her?

Wait… today is Thursday. Didn’t she say something about meeting with somepony on Thursdays?

I wracked my brain trying to remember what she had said the last time we had talked… yes, she had said that she met with her doctor every week. Doctor… Hooves, I think.

Yes, yes… that was it! Now all I had to do was go to the doctor’s office and wait for her to show up!

First things first, I had to find where his office was. I flew off of the cloud I was using to look out over the town and landed in the street below. Even if I hated asking for directions, it was better than just flying out around town, right?

As I was just getting my bearings from my landing, I spotted a familiar shade of yellow and pink.

“Hey, Fluttershy! How are you doing?” I yelled over the crowd to catch her attention.

As always, the pegasus with the long pink mane flinched as she heard somepony yell her name. Seriously, I love Fluttershy like a sister, but she needs to find a way to grow a backbone without becoming a huge jerk. It would be nice to just talk to her without worrying about scaring her.

“Oh, hello, Rainbow. How are you today?” Fluttershy asked in a voice that I had to strain to hear over the hustle and bustle of the market place.

“Oh, I’m doing fine. I think that the bigger question is, how are you and Big Mac doing?” I said, nudging her with my elbow.

I grinned as Fluttershy turned redder than a holiday decoration. Fluttershy was so cute, especially when she was blushing. Heck, she is so cute she managed to make that big hunk of muscles that was Applejack’s brother look cute. And trust me, that is no easy task.

“I was just on my way to meet him,” she said, pawing at the ground nervously. “We have a lunch date today.”

“Then don’t let me keep you here!” I exclaimed over the crowd, causing Fluttershy to flinch again. “I just wanted to know if you know where Doctor Hooves’ office is.”

Fluttershy instantly seemed to perk up. “Oh, yes, I do. In fact, it’s right on the way to the café where I have my date!”

“Oh! Awesome! Could you show me where it is?”

“Sure, but could we get going, if that’s alright with you? I don’t want to be late for my date.”

“Huh? Oh, right,” I said as I nodded sheepishly. Immediately Fluttershy set of towards one of the more expensive restaurants in town. Dang, they really must like each other to spend that many bits on one another.

After a minute, however, just walking in silence was getting kind of awkward. I needed something to talk about to distract me from what I was about to do, or I would just chicken out, like I had done all the times before. “So, seriously, how are you and Big Mac doing?” I asked.

Fluttershy immediately got a dreamy look in her eyes. Or, at least, the eye that wasn’t hidden behind her mane. “Oh, it’s wonderful. It’s just, I dreamed of going out with Big Mac for such a long time, so when he finally asked me out, I nearly fainted with joy,” she admitted with a blush on her face.

I laughed. “So he was the one who asked you, huh? I guess that makes more sense. Still, I think you should have been the one to ask him. You need to be more assertive, Shy.” And yes, I realize the irony of ending the sentence with her shortened name like that.

“Maybe, but it all worked out in the end.” Wow, she really must be on cloud nine. Normally, she reacts to anypony telling her something like that with blushes and stutters.

“Well, I’m happy for you, Shy. I hope it works out.”

“Thank you, Rainbow. I hope so too. Ah, here we are,” she said, gesturing towards a building that was completely boring. Seriously, there was nothing that made it stand out at all. I don’t think I would have noticed it if she hadn’t pointed it out to me.

“Thanks, Fluttershy. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed if you hadn’t been here.”

“Glad I could help. Have a nice day, Rainbow.” Without a further word, she turned and began to trot a little faster towards the café, where I could see a big red stallion waiting for her. Huh, I guess she really was in a hurry.

Anyways, I turned back to the featureless building. I really hoped Twilight was in here, cause if not then—

Wow, speak of Discord and he’s at your elbow. Twilight was just now walking out of the doctor’s office. “Hey Twi! How are you?” I practically shouted, ready to get an answer, one way or another.

“Waoh!” Twilight yelled, jumping up in the air in shock and falling back to earth with a crash. “Owww. Rainbow, you startled me!”

Oops. Not the best way to begin asking her out. Still, I could salvage this, or my name isn’t Rainbow Dash!

“So… um… uh, how are you today, Twilight?” Smooth, Rainbow. I’m sure that all the mares find stuttering and repeating yourself the hottest thing ever.

“I was doing well, until you decided to prank me like that!”

Oh, Celestia, she thought it was a prank! “No, no, I wasn’t trying to prank you. I just wanted to, um, ask you how you are?” And I just asked the same question three times in a row. Perfect. Just perfect.

Luckily, despite my floundering, Twilight’s face softened. “I just told you, Rainbow. Or did you already forget?” she asked with a chuckle.

“Oh, right,” I said awkwardly. This was not going well at all.

“Anyways, Rainbow, I know why you are here,” she said.

What? I mean… what?

“How did you know?” I asked in a small voice.

“Oh, Rainbow. It's written all over your face. And the fact that you show up now, the first free time I have since coming back. You must really want this,” she said, a smirk on her face as she levitated an item out of the saddle bags I hadn’t even noticed that she was wearing.

I forced my eyes away from hers to look at what she was waving in front of my face. As soon as I got a good look at it, my breath went away.

Daring Do and the Stone of Kings.

The book! The book. The newest Daring Do. The one that I had been waiting almost a year for. The one that had been delayed twice. The one that everypony had said would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And it was right in front of my face.

“Yesssss!” I yelled in a voice that in no way resembled a squeal. “Thank you so much, Twilight! Oh, yes, yes, yesyesyes! Oh, wow! I’m gonna go read this now! Talk to you later, Twi!”

“You’re wel—“

The rest of her reply was drowned out by the wind rushing in my ears as I flew home at top speed, ready to devour the book I had in my hooves.


“Wow, Tank, this is a great book! I mean when Daring got caught by those human things, I nearly had a heart attack. Anyways, time for us to go to bed. Don’t look at me like that, it’s already past your bedtime. But man, today was a great day. I got to read this book and talk to Twilight about us… going on… a date… Oh, buck it!”


Today was the day. Ignore what I said about yesterday. I was tired from bucking all the clouds myself, so it wouldn’t have been a good time to talk to Twilight anyways. Today I told my team to do it without me, so everything was perfect and ready for me to talk to her.

That’s all I have to do. Talk to her. It is in no way the hardest thing that I have ever done. For Celestia’s sake, the rainboom was harder than this.

And maybe if I keep telling myself that, I’ll believe it. At least I’ve done the rainboom before. Here, aside from some picking up some ponies at the club, I was flying blind. And in my experience, flying blind tends to hurt.

No! If I keep thinking that way, I’ll chicken out. All I have to do is walk up to the library door, knock on it, and ask Twilight out on a date.

Ok, let’s do this. I pushed off the cloud that I was currently lounging on, waiting for it to get late enough that I wouldn’t be the first pony to the library, and flew down to the street below and landed in front of the library.

Alright, step one, knock on the door. Complete. Step two, have someone open it. Taking a while but—ah, there we go. Step three, ask her out.

“Hi there. Would you like to go on a date with me?” Alright. Step three complete. Now all I have to do is open my eyes and look at her reaction.

Or, in this case, Spike’s reaction. Oops.

“Umm, sorry, Rainbow, you’re just not my type,” he said with a smile on his face, looking as if he was just barely holding in laughter.

“NO! Nonono! I was um…” I stuttered.

“Let me guess. You were trying to say that to Twilight, right?”

All right, I was getting a little bit sick of being so surprised all the dang time. What’s next, the headless horse jumping out of a book?

“How did you know?” I asked sheepishly.

“Well, you did have all those questions about who Twilight was interested in. Adding the fact that you flew off in a rush once I said I once heard her say that she was gay and what you said just now and it’s elementary, my dear Rainbow Dash,” the little guy said, looking very proud of himself.

Well, when he put it that way, I guess I was being just a bit obvious. Still, Spike could be a good friend in a situation like this. But first…

“Hey, Spike, could I ask you to keep this quiet? I want Twilight to hear it straight from my mouth first, and after that it will be up to the two of us. So, keep it on the down low, please?”

Thankfully, the little dragon nodded. All right now all I need to do is find the mare herself.

“You can stop looking around, Rainbow, Twilight isn’t here right now.”

“Oh, really? I thought that she would be here considering that the library opened just a little bit ago.”

“It’s Friday, Rainbow. That means she's out running errands.” Spike looked at me like this was common knowledge. “She always runs her errands early Friday, before the crowds get to the library. In fact, I’m a little shocked that you're up this early. And shouldn’t you be out bucking the clouds? It is the middle of summer after all.”

“I just told my team to do it. I wanted to get this done as soon as possible,” I said, doing my best to ignore the disapproving look he was giving me. “So, do you have any idea when she'll be home?”

“Well, she has to go get a couple of books that she loaned to Cheerilee, give Applejack a book on common apple tree diseases, and stop by the pharmacy to pick up her… um, her stuff, so she should be back—“

“Spike, I’m home!”

“—Right about now, apparently.”

Grinning, I turned to welcome Twilight into her own house, but she got the first word in.

“Rainbow! It’s good to see you! How are you?” she asked.

“I’m doing just fine, thanks Twi. How are you?” I replied.

"Doing pretty well. What brings you here?"

“So, Twilight, I wanted to ask you…” Don’t chicken out, don’t chicken out. “What do you think of the weather today?” Darn it!

“What do I think of the weather?” Twilight had a bewildered look on her face, and I could see Spike trying to hold in his laughter. “Umm… I saw the rest of the weather team working on clearing the sky earlier, is that what you meant? By the way, why were you not with them? I could hear them complaining about you.”

I waved a hoof dismissively. “Oh, it’s good for them. Builds character. Besides, you were always telling me that I need to… what was the word… delegate some of my responsibility to them. You know, so I’m not doing everything myself. Uh… Twi, you okay?”

Twilight had gone wide eyed and was staring at me as if in shock. It was kind of creepy actually.

“Delegate…” she whispered.

Shoot, did I say something to upset her again? Way to stick your hoof in your mouth again, Rainbow, at this rate—

“That’s it!” she shouted. “Delegating responsibility! Why didn’t I think of that before? It would solve all the problems with overheating. One to infuse or extract the magic, and one to store it!”

Okay, maybe I said the right thing. Seriously, if her smile got any larger it might break her face in half. And the way she was prancing in place like that was seriously cute. “I take it you just had a brainwave?” I asked.

“Oh yes! Thank you so much Rainbow! This has been bugging me for so long! I just couldn’t get past this block, and you said just the right thing! Thank you, thank you, and thank you! Oh, Rainbow, I could just kiss you!”

And now my wings were standing straight up. Perfect. Oh well, as long as she was offering, I wouldn’t say no. “If you really mean that Twilight, I might just take you—“

Before I could finish my statement, Twilight had rushed off and slammed the door to the basement behind her.

“Oh,” I said, a little disappointed.

“Don’t worry Rainbow, I’m sure you’ll get your chance some other time,” Spike said, giving me a pat on the shoulder that would have been more reassuring if he hadn’t been fighting back giggles. “She just gets like that sometimes when she has a project that she is working on.”

“It’s cool, it’s cool,” I said, fighting to keep the disappointment out of my voice and get my wings under control. “So, how long do you think she'll be down there?”

“It depends. Could be twenty minutes to all day. She even forgets to eat sometimes, so I bring down food to her on occasion,” Spike said, shrugging. “So, do you want to wait to talk to her, or come back later?”

“Depends,” I said, grinning. “Do you like to play BattleClouds?”


Four games of BattleClouds, half of my Daring Do book, and five hours later, it didn’t look like Twilight was going to be coming up anytime soon. The most the little dragon and I had heard from Twilight was a few shouts of “I’m okay!” following some of the louder bangs. At first I had been worried, but Spike had assured me that stuff like that happened when Twilight was working and not to worry about it.

Still, loud noises aside, I was almost ready to pull my pin feathers out with boredom. Sitting around a library with a dragon upset about losing four games of BattleClouds in a row was not my idea of a good time.

I was just about to head outside and take off for home when I heard a voice call up from below.

“Spike! Could you bring me down some water, please?”

I looked to Spike with a question in my eyes. Luckily, he seemed to understand what it was that I was asking.

“Go ahead,” he said, gesturing to the kitchen.

I nodded, flew into the kitchen and grabbed a drinking glass. As quickly as I could, I filled it with water, and trotted over to the entrance to the basement. I took a steadying breath and galloped down the stairs.

“Here’s you glass of water T—OH MY CELESTIA!”

“Ah, thank you, Rainbow. Just what I needed.”

“Twilight, you’re, you’re…”

“Yes, Rainbow?” she asked, as if nothing in the world was wrong.

“YOU’RE ON FIRE!”

“Yes, that’s why I needed the water. Just let me take a sip… ah, much better.”

It was so weird. As soon as she took a sip of water, all of the fire went out. Like, it just vanished. It didn’t fade away, it didn’t poof, it just vanished as if it was never there to begin with.

“What, what…I…What?” I said, dumbfounded.

Spike poked his head into the basement. “I take it you had another problem with wizard’s fire, Twilight?” he asked, as if it were the most normal thing in the world.

“Yep!” Twilight said cheerfully, not looking in the slightest burned or harmed. In fact, if I hadn’t just seen it with my own two eyes, I would have not have believed that the mare that I had a crush on had just been on fire.

“What…” was all I managed to croak out. I tried again. “What just happened?”

“Oh, it was just a bit of an accident with wizard’s fire, that’s all,” she said, like that meant anything at all to me. Luckily, she saw the confusion still written across my face and continued. “It’s just a fire that doesn’t burn anything. It’s useless as a source of light or warmth, but it sees a lot of use in testing since it is made almost completely of magical energy.”

“I see,” I said, still feeling a bit lost. “And the water?”

“Oh just a little drink or splash of water make it dissipate completely. It looks a bit startling, but it’s completely harmless,” she said.

“It’s more than just a little startling, Twilight,” Spike said, shaking his head. “The first time I saw it, I nearly had a heart attack.”

“You and me both,” I agreed.

“Anyways, why are you here, Rainbow?” Twilight said, turning to me. “Wait, I remember you being here earlier. Have you been here all day?”

“Um…” I hesitated, but then I knew that it was now or never. I turned to ask Spike to leave, but he was already on the way out. Okay then, no more distractions.

“Right, Twilight, the reason I’ve been waiting here all day is because… I wanted to ask you out on a date.”

Twilight’s eyes got very wide as soon as the sentence had left my mouth. She stood there gasping like a fish for a minute or two before she got her act together.

“I, I can’t because I’m, I’m gay!” she said quickly.

All right, if I was confused by the fire before, now I was baffled. “What do you mean, you can’t because you’re gay? We are both mares, unless you’ve been hiding something from me.”

It was another moment or two before she could respond again. “I mean, I’m not!” She shouted when she regained her breath.

I tilted my head in puzzlement. “But Spike heard you say that—“

“I mean, I’m not, and I am! That makes sense, right?”

And consider me totally lost. “Twilight, what are you talking about?”

Twilight was now looking as if she were in a state of total panic. She just gestured to me to be quiet, and began to do some deep breathing exercises, to calm herself down I guess.

After yet another minute, Twilight had regained enough composure to speak. “Listen, Rainbow, I need to think on this. Could you come back in a week to talk about it?” she asked meekly.

Every instinct in my body cried out to get an answer now, but by some miracle I held my tongue. “Sure Twilight, sounds good,” I said, but even I could hear the disappointment in my voice. I turned and began walking towards the stairs to the main room of the library.

“I’m sorry Rainbow, I just need time to think about this.” I heard drift sadly up to me from behind.

“Sure thing,” I said, before closing the door behind me.