• Published 26th Jun 2013
  • 14,471 Views, 674 Comments

Unwell - HazamaBrony



Twilight Sparkle struggles to balance a new relationship with Rainbow Dash and her mental illness.

  • ...
37
 674
 14,471

Rainbow Dash 1

It was another awesomely sunny day in Ponyville, and this time, it was all thanks to me. I had settled into a routine of clearing the clouds by myself every other day, and leaving the rest to the other ponies on the weather team. That way, I could honestly say that I was doing half of the weather team work by myself, at least until summer ended. Then I would need help setting up rain clouds and stuff.

In the meantime I could practice tricks to my heart’s content without anypony having any reason to bother me.

“Hey! Rainbow Dash!”

Not that that would stop them from bugging me anyways. I came out of a triple inverted corkscrew and landed in the middle of the market, looking around for the pony that had distracted me. Easier said than done, considering the crowd in the market.

“Over here, Rainbow!”

I snapped my head towards the sound of my name and saw Twilight sitting at the café, enjoying a daisy sandwich and motioning for me to join her at her table. Heck, why not? I just realized how hungry I was after a full day… okay, afternoon, of cloud kicking and stunt flying.

“Sure thing, Twilight!” I yelled as I brushed my rainbow mane out of my eyes with a cyan hoof, and began making my way through the crowd. Normally I would have just flown over them, but my wings were a bit sore from all the flying I had been doing recently. No point in risking a cramp in midair, right?

“So,” I said as I took the seat opposite Twilight, “What you up to?”

“Oh, you know, just the usual,” she replied. “Just getting a bite to eat after my meeting with Doctor Hooves, before I check out the new shipments of books the bookstore just got.”

I rolled my eyes. “Twilight, you live in a library. What are you going to a bookstore for?”

“Hey, they would be for my personal collection! I like to own a book, that way I can know for sure that it will always be there, and not checked out when I most need it,” she grumbled.

The look on her face made me laugh. “I take it you are speaking from personal experience?” I said after I had caught my breath.

By Celestia, the way she was sulking was one of the cutest things that I had ever seen. Her purple eyes were glaring at nothing in particular, partially hidden by her straight purple mane the pink stripe standing out.

So I have a bit of a crush on her. Sue me.

“Seriously, who else in this town needs a book on how magic is affected by theoretical quantum mechanics?” she asked, still sulking.

“I have absolutely no idea what you just said,” I deadpanned. Smart as she could be, sometime she forgot that the rest of us were not magical geniuses. “Anyways, what did you need to see Doctor Hooves for? You got a cold or something?”

“He isn’t that kind of doctor, Rainbow. He’s the kind that you just sit down and talk to for a bit,” she replied.

“Oh. Sounds boring,” I said.

“Not really. He really keeps my head on straight, even if he does annoy me from time to time,” she replied, with an odd looking smirk on her face.

“Right, so how often do you meet?” I asked.

“Once a week.”

“How long?”

“Just half an hour every week.”

“Say ‘what’ if I can have the rest of your sandwich.”

“What? Wait—no!”

It was too late, I was already long gone, the remains of her sandwich in my hooves.


I laughed as I stuffed the last of the sandwich into my mouth and sprawled out on the porch of my house. I know, I know, I shouldn’t have done that, but Twilight is just far too much fun to tease. I don’t care if it makes me look like a little foal who doesn’t know how to act around his crush.

Heck, sometimes I do feel like a little foal in over her head with a crush. I mean, Twilight is almost the perfect mare! She is smart, funny, drop dead gorgeous in a nerdy sort of way! I would have made a move on her already if she had shown the slightest amount of interest in mares. I just didn’t want to lose her friendship if things went badly.

I mean, just because I can appreciate hot of any gender, doesn’t mean that everypony does. I have heard way too many horror stories of ponies being rejected simply because of their gender to just jump into romance like that, despite what my usual approach might lead you to think.

Anyways, I now had the rest of the day off with nothing to do except flight practice, and nothing was going to stop me this—

“RAINBOW DASH!”

Oh, for the love of Celestia!

“What, Twilight? You were almost done with your food anyways! You could not have been that attached to that sandwich!”

“No, that’s not what want to talk to you about,” she said. “Though I would have appreciated it if you had asked first.”

“Oh.” She was right, she probably would have just given me her sandwich if I had asked. Oh well, too late now. “So what did you want to talk to me about?” I asked as I flew down to talk to her face to face.

“Well, before you sped off, I was going to ask you if you could check in on Spike about once a day for the next couple days. I’m going to Canterlot for a bit, and I need somepony to just make sure that he`s doing all right,” she said.

“Oh, um… okay,” I responded. To be perfectly honest, that sounded like a giant pain. “What’s in it for me?” Eh, probably not the best thing to say to your crush, but come on. She could get somepony else to do it, right?

Twilight looked a little miffed at me saying that, but her expression soon mellowed out. “Well, I will be in Canterlot for the next few days,” she said, as if that solved everything.

“Right, so what?”

“That means I will be in Canterlot until Wednesday, understand?”

I still had no idea where she was headed with this. “Again, so what?”

“So I will be in Canterlot Sunday at midnight, right?”

“So—Wait!” It was finally dawning on me. “You don’t mean—“

“That I will be at the midnight release of the new Daring Do? Yes, Rainbow, that is precisely what I mean. And I could be persuaded to get an extra copy if you could—“

“I’ll check on Spike! I’ll help him with the library! I’ll even sleep over if that’s what you want me to do! Just promise me that you will get me that book! I’ve been waiting for it for so long!”

Twilight looked a little blown back at my outburst, but she quickly smiled. “You don’t need to go that far, Rainbow. Just check in on Spike twice a day. That should be enough. After all, he pretty much runs the library all the time in addition to helping me, so he should be fine. Just check that he hasn’t gotten himself into any trouble.”

“Will do Twilight!” I saluted her, then chuckled. “Wow, that kid must be more grown up than I thought if he's running the library as well. Heh, it almost sounds like he takes care of you instead of the other way around!”

That was apparently the wrong thing to say, because Twilight instantly lost the smile she had just a second ago. She bit her lip and began staring right through me. It was kind of creepy how fast her mood turned around. “Hey, Twi, you ok? You look kind of down all of the sudden,” I said.

Her eyes instantly snapped back to mine, and I was startled to see them watering just a tiny bit. “Yes, Rainbow, I’m fine. You just reminded me of something that Doctor Hooves said today, that’s all.” she said, but I heard a small quiver in her voice.

“You, uh, you know, want to talk about it?” I asked. I couldn’t bear to see her like this, especially because of something that I said. And after all, she had said that talking to that doctor had helped her, so it wasn’t too far off to think that she might want to talk to me about it. And who knows, maybe it could help our friendship grow closer.

“No, Rainbow, I don’t want to talk about it.”

Or not. “Okay, Twi. I won’t push you. Heck, even someone like me has some deep dark secrets that they don’t want to talk about!” I said.

That apparently broke her out of her funk. “Deep dark secrets, Rainbow?” She asked, smirking. “You’re starting to sound a lot like Daring Do. Maybe I shouldn’t get you that book after all…”

“NO! I meant to say…um, is there anything that rhymes with ‘deep dark secret’?”

She laughed that musical laugh of hers, and I instantly felt relived. Crush or no, I hated making any of my friends feel bad or angry. I know that I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes, but I’m trying to catch myself more often.

“You can be very funny when you want to, Rainbow!” Twilight said, still smirking.

“Right, I meant to make you laugh. I certainly meant to do that. I was in no way panicking about having Daring Do taken away from me. Right,” I said sheepishly, which only made Twilight’s smile grow bigger.

“Well, I’ve got to go make sure all the books are shelved correctly before I go.” Twilight suddenly turned and began walking back into town. “It was nice talking to you, Rainbow.”

It was a good thing Twilight wasn’t looking back at me as she walked away, because if she had, she would have seen me practically melt at her final words. Gah, what was wrong with me? I never got this sappy over somepony saying that they liked talking to me.

Actually, when I thought about it, nopony ever said that they like talking to me. I think that Twilight was the first to say she enjoyed talking to me. I mean, I’m not exactly the best at avoiding putting my hoof in my mouth, and even the friends that I enjoy hanging out with, like Applejack, aren’t really big on conversation. So, yeah, I’ll admit that it was nice to have Twilight say that she liked talking to me.

Oh, wow, she really is making me sappy. I have to do something about this crush before Twilight finds out in some way. Not that I would mind her finding out, I just want it to be on my terms.

I guess I’ll talk to Spike tomorrow. He should know if Twilight even likes mares or not.

It’s not like it could hurt, right?


“Owwww…” I moaned, clutching my head in my hooves. Memo to self, make sure window is unlocked and open before trying to fly in through it. I guess that Twilight locked all the windows when she left. I’m just glad that I didn’t break it. I didn’t want to get cut up or have to replace Twilight's window.

Spike opened the window, narrowly missing my poor head, and took a look outside. “What in Celestia’s name was that noise…? Oh, hi, Rainbow Dash. Was that bang just now you?” the baby dragon asked.

“Yes. Those windows are tougher than they look,” I managed to gasp out between the throbbing in my head. “How are you doing, Spike?”

The small dragon actually looked kind of angry. “I was doing fine until you rammed into the library! You knocked down all the books… again! Now I have to reorganize all of them!”

Oops. “Sorry. I’ll help.” I tried to ignore Spike’s shocked look. It wasn’t like I never helped somepony after messing their day up somehow. There was that time that I…um… Oh! How about when I… no, that just made it worse. Hmm… maybe I should work on cleaning up after myself.

“So are you going to come in or just lie there staring at nothing?” Spike asked, looking impatient.

I nodded and began to fly up to the window, when Spike held up his hand.

“Use the door like a normal pony, Rainbow!”

Oh. Right.

***

A few very boring hours later, all the books were put back in their proper space. Trust me, it was a lot harder than it sounds, with this strange new system Twilight was using. Apparently, it was supposed to make it easier to find things by subject instead of the title of the book, but it just gave me a headache.

Well, whatever. As long as I could find Daring Do, I was set for books.

“So, Spike, how is Twilight doing lately?” I asked innocently. Time to get what I came here for. Funny, I think this was the only time I ever came to the library to get information.

“She’s doing fine, all things considered,” Spike said. He seemed really happy all of the sudden. I guess talking about Twilight made him feel better. That, and knowing that we were done shelving everything must have put him in a good mood.

Wait a second… “What do you mean, ‘all things considered’?” I asked.

“Well, she has been under a lot of pressure lately, with her research project for the Canterlot Charity Society.”

I nodded. Even I had heard of the C.C.S. They were some big name ponies that liked to help the less fortunate among us, as they put it. They sponsored all sorts of events, from upper class parties to Wonderbolt races, all in the name of helping others. All in all, they were good ponies.

“So what is she doing? It must be something big to get her to leave you alone,” I said.

“Well, when I asked her, she started speaking in science, so I couldn’t really tell. You'll have to ask her about it when she gets back,” Spike said, heading towards the kitchen. Good idea, I was really hungry. And it was about time to get down to business.

Time to steer the conversation to where I wanted it to go. “And here I thought that she was there to visit a coltfriend or something.”

Spike snorted at that. “Twilight, with a coltfriend? Not in a million years.”

My heart soared.

“Yeah, I don’t think she is interested in romance at all. She always tries her best to avoid that. Heck, she used to have panic attacks every time that somepony came on to her. At least, when she realized that she was being hit on. So, not that often,” he continued.

And my heart crashed back to earth.

“Then again, last time that happened I think she told the guy that she was gay, so she must have at least thought about it, right? Well, I guess I don’t really know.”

Buck it Spike, stop toying with my heart like this!

Wait… “So she said that she was gay?” I asked, hoping that I hadn’t misheard.

“That’s what I heard. Um… not that I was eavesdropping on her! I just wanted to make sure she was all right! Yes… there was no way I was eavesdropping on her!” he practically shouted, a false smile plastered on his face.

I could honestly not care less about if Spike was listening to things that he shouldn’t have been at that moment. I had a chance! I had a chance to get with the cutest and smartest mare in all of Ponyville!

“Thanks, Spike, you've been a big help! Okay, see you later!” I had to get home and plan for what I was going to say when Twilight got back into town.

“But you helped me…” he said, a confused look on his face.

“See you later, Spike!” I laughed as I took off and did a loop out of the library.

I was on top of the world.