• Published 26th Jun 2013
  • 14,470 Views, 674 Comments

Unwell - HazamaBrony



Twilight Sparkle struggles to balance a new relationship with Rainbow Dash and her mental illness.

  • ...
37
 674
 14,470

Twilight Sparkle

No, that one wasn’t it… neither is that one… not this one either.

Dang, mare’s root was turning out harder to find than I thought. I mean, it was supposed to match, in the eyes of the pony viewing it, the color of their coat, so you would think it would be easy to find, but…

Oh well, I hadn’t been looking for that long, anyways. It had only been… what, an hour? Maybe two? At this point I had completely lost track of time. I glanced up at the sky. What I could see through the trees was still blue, so it must have still been daylight. Still plenty of time left to find that plant.

Not that it mattered. I needed to find that plant at all costs. I wouldn’t be able to finish my research without the intelligence boosting aspects of it, and I’d rather chew off my own leg than let Lyra win after what she had done.

“Twilight! Where are you!?”

My ears perked up as I heard the sound of my name. It sounded like…

“Rainbow Dash! Is that you?” I called in the direction that the voice had come from.

“Twilight!? Oh, thank Celestia!” Rainbow said as she burst out from between two trees. “Are you all right?”

I smiled. That was just like Rainbow, always worried about me. I was so happy that she was unerringly on my side. Especially after what my other so-called friends had done. “I’m fine, Rainbow, just a little frustrated. I can’t find that plant anywhere. Could you help me look?”

“We don’t have time for that, Twilight! We need to get you to the guard station, right away!” Rainbow said, a note of panic in her voice.

I tilted my head to the side, puzzled. “Why?”

“To get you help!”

“Rainbow, unless the guards are going to help me look for mare’s root, I don’t need any help. But now that you’re here—“

“Yes, they’ll help you with anything you need! You… uh… you just need to come with me! Then you can tell all of them what it looks like, then they can help you look!” Rainbow said, her voice still edgy for some reason.

I clapped my hooves together in cheer. “Great, but I have a better idea! You can go tell them what mare’s root looks like, while I keep looking! You already know where the guards are gathered, and you’re faster than me, so that way we get the maximum number of eyes searching in the least amount of time!” I said, grateful to Rainbow for setting this all up.

“No! I need you to come with me! Listen, Twi, please just come with me! You’re not thinking right, and you need to get help!”

Okay, I was starting to get a little annoyed. “Rainbow, I know I was upset at what Lyra and Rarity had done, but I’ve put that out of my mind for the moment. I just need to find that plant and everything will be all right. We can talk to the guard about what the two of them did later.”

“That’s… argh, that’s not what I mean. I just need you to…” Rainbow suddenly trailed off. Her eyes went out of focus for a second, but then she looked at me determinedly. “Okay, fine. Twilight, I think I saw the plant at the edge of the forest. If you follow me, I can take you to it.”

My eyes widened. “You saw it? Are you sure that it was mare’s root? You know, it’s supposed to look different for everypony that sees it. For you it would look mostly blue, with a rainbow flower. Does that sound like what you saw?”

“Yeah, blue with a rainbow flower. That’s… uh, that’s exactly what I saw. Follow me and I’ll take you right to it. Just, stay close to me, please,” Rainbow said, looking at me oddly.

“Sure thing,” I said happily, and began to walk in the direction that Rainbow had come from. She scrambled a little to keep up, but soon she was walking slightly ahead of
me, glancing back at me every so often.

This was great! After what Lyra had done, I had expected to take forever to find the mare’s root and get back on track with my research. But this was a stroke of luck. I mean, with the mare’s root boosting my intelligence, I could do in a few days what had taken me weeks to do before and then I could present it to the scientific judges and they could judge it. Then Rainbow could, uh, go with me to visit my parents in Canterlot and Canterlot has good food like bread and bread is made from wheat. And the heat is made from summer and Celestia does it with the sun and Celestia would be proud of me for everything and Lyra—

“Twilight!”

“Huh?” I said, snapped out of my train of thought. “Sorry, Rainbow, I was just thinking.”

“Twilight, you stopped walking, and I’ve been trying to talk to you for, like, the last five minutes! You were muttering weird stuff, too! Are you all right?” Rainbow said, sounding panicky.

“Listen, Rainbow, I know you like to look after me, but I’m just fine. You worry too much. I’m perfectly healthy. I mean, I’m purple, right?” I said.

“Purple? What does that have to do with anything?” Rainbow asked, sounding puzzled.

I rolled my eyes. I love Rainbow and all that, but sometimes she could be frustratingly obtuse. “All purple ponies are healthy. Just like all white ones are liars, and blue ones are earth ponies.”

Rainbow glanced down at herself, then looked up at me, looking even more worried. “What… whatever you say, Twilight. C’mon, let’s talk and trot, okay?”

“Fine by me!” I said, and let her lead the way. “Let’s hurry, though, I want to get started on my research as soon as possible. I need to do it in the basement though, out of the sunlight.”

“Oh? Why?” Rainbow asked.

“Because sunlight makes everything heavier. That’s probably why I feel so good, all the shade from the trees. I mean, without all that light pushing me down, I feel so energetic!”

Rainbow gave me an unreadable look, then turned away. “You know I love you no matter what, right?” she said very quietly.

“Aww, I love—“ I stopped.

Rainbow would never say anything as mushy and sentimental as ‘I love you.’ Then why did…

Oh. Oh no.

This was an imposter.

It was the only thing that made sense. Somepony or some creature had taken Rainbow’s appearance and was using it to try to trick me.

And if I remembered correctly, this Not-Rainbow had said I love you a few weeks back. Had I really been fooled for that long?

And what happened to the real Rainbow? Was she all right? Was she d—

No! I was going to have to proceed under the assumption that Rainbow was okay. The alternative was just too much to bear.

So Rainbow was alive and well, probably being held someplace. I had to find her… and that probably meant following this imposter to wherever she wanted to take me.

Well. It wasn’t like I’ve walked into danger before. And this Not-Rainbow didn’t know I was on to her.

Just then, I caught the Not-Rainbow giving me an odd look. Shoot, I had to act normal or it would find out that I had found her out.

“I love you too, Rainbow,” I said, putting on my biggest smile despite the almost physical pain that the words caused me.

That must have satisfied the Not-Rainbow somewhat, because she gave me one last lingering look, then turned and began trotting in the same direction that she had before.

I let out a sigh of relief. That had been a close one. Who knows what she would have tried to do to me if she knew that I knew. I shuddered. Nothing pleasant came to mind.

Whatever. I had to do this, for Rainbow, the real one. I would just have to be careful.

We trotted along in silence for what seemed like hours, but I could tell that it was much shorter. The sun hadn’t moved much, from what I could see between the trees. And lack of sunlight weighing me down or not, I would have been tired after a trek through the forest for hours.

The whole time, the Not-Rainbow shot glances back at me every minute or so. It probably wanted to make sure that its prey hadn’t escaped. And every time it did, I had to act like I hadn’t been staring at it.

But I had been. I had been observing it very closely.

That had let me get a better idea of what it was. Every so often, I could see… something moving beneath the skin of the Not-Rainbow.

It was… unsettling to say the least. But it gave me a clue about what this creature might be. It suggested that this Rainbow mask was more like a suit, to be shed at the first sign of trouble. It also said that—

“We’re here,” the Not-Rainbow said, stopping suddenly.

I glanced around. We had just barely cleared the edge of the forest, with the outskirts of Ponyville within sprinting distance. “What’s here?” I asked. “I thought you were going to take me to your—I mean, the flower.” Shoot, I almost said ‘your hideout.’

“Listen, Twilight, I’m sorry about this,” the Not-Rainbow said, pulling a stone out of her mane. It was small and I think the only reason I didn’t notice it before was because it was just as multicolored as her mane. In fact, it looked like a—

“No!” I shouted, an instant before the stone was crushed and all the magic fled the area.

The loss of magic was disorienting, but fortunately not crippling. I turned and ran towards Ponyville as fast as I could, but there was a rustling in the bushes, and several stallions jumped out and blocked my path. They all wore the armor of the royal guard, but I could tell they were imposters just like the Not-Rainbow.

Because the flesh beneath their skin was twisting and writhing in a way that made me almost sick.

I changed direction as fast as I could, sprinting back at the Everfree Forest, more confident in ability to get past the single Not-Rainbow than in my ability to dart past all the Not-guards.

Unfortunately, one of the Not-guards was faster than me, and I felt a heavy weight crash into my back, pining me on the ground. I struggled, but it twisted and got my right foreleg into some kind of grip.

“Stop struggling!” it said, malevolence dripping off of every word. “You might hurt yourself,” It said, and I could taste the sarcasm dripping off of every word.

I ignored it, and fought back with all my might. It apparently didn’t like that, and gave a little twist.

My right shoulder made a popping noise, and my world became an ocean of pain.

The Not-guard sprang back, his job evidently done. I tried to pull myself to my hooves, but my right foreleg wouldn’t respond to any of my commands. I fell back to the ground, letting out a sob of pain and fear.

I didn’t want to die, but I had made so many foolish decisions. I shouldn’t have followed Not-Rainbow. I should have stopped her from crushing the stone. I should have… should have…

I was going to die.

I didn’t want to die.

I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die I don’t want to die!

I did my best to pull every bit of magic I could together, pushing as hard as I could against the dampening effect of the stone.

It hurt. It hurt a lot, right behind my horn.

But I had to do it. The alternative was to roll over and let them do whatever they want to me.

“Some pony stop her!” I dimly heard somepony yell. I ignored them. I pulled together the components for a teleport…

There was a flash of light that blinded me.

When I opened my eyes, I found that my magic had completely deserted me, and I was still surrounded by the Not creatures. Only now, there was one that looked like Princess Celestia standing right in front of me.

“Sleep,” the Not-Celestia said, and her horn lit up.

There was a horrible pain in my head.

I screamed.

Then darkness washed over me.