• Published 29th May 2013
  • 1,287 Views, 40 Comments

Shadow Dash - lordcurly972



After a unknown mishap at The Rainbow Factory, Rainbow Dash is left with a lot of questions and perhaps a monster dwelling inside her.

  • ...
4
 40
 1,287

Some Time Later

As I took Scootaloo’s drawings off my cell wall, I began to think about how today was my final day in prison. I was so excited I was finally going home. I held a drawing in my hooves; it had since grown torn and brown from so many years of hanging on the cold, damp cell wall. I placed the drawing on my bed and took another off the wall. This one was a more recent drawing, sent no less than a week ago. It was a drawing of Scootaloo and me sitting at the edge of Ponyville watching the sunset. Though it had been several years since Scootaloo had been a child, she drew herself as an eight year old again. I guess she wanted me to have the mindset that she was still the same filly she was when I was locked up. I stared at the drawing until my eyes started to water. I sat the drawing on my bed and wiped the tears from my eyes. I sure missed Scootaloo, she came by for every visitor’s day, but we only had one every two years. So it felt good to finally be able to see her for as long as I wanted. She came by for the last visitor’s day on her eighteenth birthday and as a gift I attempted to draw a picture for her like the ones she draws for me. Of course it didn’t turn out to well, but she said she loved it anyways. As I continued to take the drawings down I began to think back on her last visit. She explained to me that last year she was accepted into Canterlot’s Art School for the Gifted and had been going there ever since. I was so proud of her; not only for what she did to save me long ago, but that she made something of herself. I just wish I could have been there to see it happen. After all of the drawings were removed from the wall I sat down on the bed and began to think of the others in Ponyville.

Two years into my sentence Twilight informed me that the Rainbow Factories repairs were complete and that they discovered what had caused the explosion. Apparently, one of the workers had forgotten to empty out the anti-color containment unit, which you’re supposed to do every three days, and when the pressure built up in the unit it was too much for it to handle and exploded causing a chain reaction throughout the factory. Although they had figured out what had caused the explosion they couldn’t really convict anypony due to it being an accident and the overabundance of suspects. I think I knew who had done it though, a certain grey pegasus. She was probably about to empty the containment unit but got distracted by a muffin or a pretty butterfly or something. I didn’t hold a grudge though, all of that was in the past, no sense dwelling on it. Twilight also informed that Spike had left her to be with his fellow dragons, although she was sad she said it was something he really wanted to do and she accepted it. He said he was beginning to feel cramped in Ponyville, he wanted to explore the rest of Equestria with his brethren. I really didn’t think he had it in him, I told her I was sure he would return some day, he was probably scared of the bigger dragons more than Fluttershy was.

And upon one of Rarity’s visits she informed me that Sweetie Belle had finally gotten her cutie mark. She discovered her talent in singing and formed a trio with Apple Bloom and some other pony I had never heard of named MandoPony. Sweetie Belle was now touring with the trio under the name Magical Mystery Foal. Rarity said it was a reference to something, but neither one of us knew what it was a reference to. Other than that Rarity hardly ever came to visit, it really didn’t bother me much. Rarity was always super busy and probably didn’t have time for such “frivolousness”.

Applejack visited a few times as well, during her most recent visit she told me that her and Big Mac couldn’t buck apples like they used. Within a few years they would have to retire and give the farm over to Apple Bloom. She really hated the idea of dragging Apple Bloom out what she loved to do, but Apple Bloom said the band was tired of touring anyways and was glad to help. Applejack also informed me that Granny Smith had passed. I couldn’t believe it; I thought that crazy old bat would live forever. When I told Applejack this, she just meekly chuckled and said, “So did I.”

Next to Scootaloo, Fluttershy visited me the most. She said she really wished I wasn’t in prison, because ever since I was put behind bars she had to take over the responsibility of getting a team together for funneling the water up to Cloudsdale every year. Although she had grown less shy over the years, she said that each year seemed like it was her first time doing it. She just couldn’t bear to let everyone in Cloudsdale down, but each year she pulled through and got Cloudsdale the water they needed. She even broke the nine hundred wing power record one year. I was a bit jealous Fluttershy did something I couldn’t, but I gave it to her.

I was so wrapped up in reminiscing that I didn’t even hear the guard calling to release me.
“Ms. Dash, if you would wish to stay in here,” he said, “it’s fine by me, but I figured you may want to leave after all these years.”
“I’m sorry,” I apologized gathering up my things, “I was just caught up in my thoughts.”
I approached the cell door, making sure to stand back a few feet, I didn’t want to give him any reason to mace me on my final day. He unlocked the door and motioned for me to step outside.
“How’s it feel to be a free mare again?” he asked closing the door and walking me towards the exit.
As we passed the other cells I could hear the chants and woos of excitement and congratulations, I breathed in deep, “it’s a feeling I can’t explain.

We stopped at the front so I could pick up the things they took from me when I was locked up. I stood behind the yellow line and listened to the mare behind the counter read off the list of items.
“One pair of sunshades, a half-eaten candy bar, two and a half bits, one unused Ponylactic,” she paused, “and one used Ponylactic.”
I blushed at this, why did I even have that on me?
“Please sign,” she said placing the clipboard on the counter.
I was about to step over the line when I noticed the two guards beside me step back and reach for their guns. I gave a shy smile and stepped back behind the line. I then leaned over the line, grabbed the pen with mouth and scribbled “RD” on the dotted line.

After retrieving my things, and throwing away the condoms, I was then walked through the last exit into the pickup zone. As I walked out, cheers erupted all over the back-lot. I was greeted by nearly every pony from Ponyville: Applejack, Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Derpy, even Mayor Mare. As I scanned the crowd I was overwhelmed with joy, everypony was there. But then my heart sank, where was Scootaloo?


“She feels really sorry for not making it sugarcube,” Applejack told me trying to cheer me up on the balloon ride back to Ponyville, “she said she got real swamped at work, if she could’ve left I’m sure she would’ve.”
“I understand,” I said raising my head, “and it’s not like I won’t be able to see her tonight.”
“That’s the spirit Rainbow!” Pinkie Pie shouted as she jumped up and down, nearly tipping the balloon over, “whoops, sorry.”
“Maybe we should’ve taken the train like everypony else,” Fluttershy said timidly.
We all chuckled and sat back to enjoy the ride back.
“Pinkie, would you care to help me surprise Scootaloo?” I asked closing my eyes to enjoy the peace and quiet further.
“Are you kidding me!?” Pinkie shouted grabbing me up and giving me a big bear hug, “Do you know how long I’ve been waiting to hear you say that?”
“Great, glad to see you’re willing to help,” I said, struggling to breathe, “Pinkie, could you let me go, I kind of can’t breathe.”
“Sorry, it’s just I haven’t thrown you a party in so long,” she said throwing confetti into the air. I don’t even know where she got it from.
“I appreciate your help, but the party’s not for me, it’s for Scootaloo remember,” I answered rubbing my chest. She must’ve been working out those ten years.
“Whatever, a party’s a party,” she retorted rolling her eyes then blowing on a party horn.
“Oh, Pinkie,” we all laughed.

When the balloon finally touched down in Ponyville it was about three o’clock in the afternoon.
“So, what time does Scootaloo get off work?” I asked any of the girls.
“She gets off at about five,” Twilight answered hopping out of the balloon.
“That gives us plenty of time to set up the party,” I said hopping out after Twilight, “the library has a lot of space to cover, if we want it done in time, we’d better start now.”
The girls gave each other confused looks.
“What? What is it?” I asked.
“Scootaloo hasn’t lived with Twilight for three years now,” Fluttershy stated, “she never told you?”
“No! Why wouldn’t she tell me something like that?” I said, feeling a bit betrayed. Getting your own place was a big step, why didn’t Scootaloo ever tell me?
“Maybe she wanted to surprise you when you got out,” Pinkie Pie answered.
“Maybe, well where does she live?” I asked.

As we approached Scootaloos door my hurt began to grow heavy with pride. I couldn’t believe she had gotten her own place, and at fifteen no less! It wasn’t until my nineteenth that I got my own place; she really must’ve made a name for herself. I turned the knob, surprisingly it was unlocked. I shrugged and stepped inside. The lights flashed on and the room erupted in cheers.
“SURPRISE!” everypony shouted, even Pinkie Pie and the rest of the girls, all but Fluttershy, who screamed and fainted.
As the others tended to Fluttershy I turned to meet eyes with Scootaloo. She smiled as a tear began to run down her face. We ran to each other and hugged in the middle. I couldn’t think of anything to say but, “Nice place you got here kid.”
“Thanks,” she said sniffling, “I’m so happy your out.”
It was a few seconds before I answered, I just wanted to enjoy the moment, I wanted to enjoy my freedom.
“Me too,” I finally responded.
I released her from my hug and began to walk around the room. Everypony else left us to ourselves and began to party.
“So, did you set this whole thing up?” I asked stopping to look at one of her paintings, it was the picture I drew for her, she framed it and put it up above the fire place.
“You like it, it was drawn by one of greatest ponies I know,” she said, “and to answer your question, yes I set this whole thing up.”
“And the balloon ride,” I said beginning to put things together, “the rest of the girls were so persistent on it because you needed time to set up this party.”
She nodded and gave me another quick huge, “Now, how about we enjoy the rest of the party?”

I later found out that it was the girls’ plans all along to bring me here once we arrived in Ponyville, it was just luck that I had gotten an idea to surprise Scootaloo. It was quite the clever plan and I was glad they did it. I was having such a wonderful time; I was still not being able to get over that I was finally free. I was just about to partake of the cake when I heard Scootaloo begin to make an announcement. I turned to see her on a stage in the center of the room.
“Mares and gentlecolts,” she began waving for Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom to join her on stage, “the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”
They immediately burst into the Cutie Mark Crusaders song, the entire room burst into cheering and whistling. I watched as they performed the exact routine they did years before, except without the foul ups. As I listened to them sing I could feel myself begin to tear up once more. I sat back, closed my eyes, and let the music engulf me; it felt good to be back.