• Published 27th May 2013
  • 332 Views, 1 Comments

Becoming a God: Forgotten Past - MrMoho



Past can be a wonderful thing, but is it always something you want, or should, remember?

  • ...
 1
 332

Chapter 4: Evening Coincidences

His eyelids flew open, the increased inflow of light blinding him.

Where was he? What was that just a second ago? Heavy, uncontrolled breaths filled Fids lungs as his heartbeats raged through his body. Equestria, Ponyville, Town Hall. He remembered.

He remembered that he went here on Celestias behalf. But he also remembered that he was in Canterlot just a second ago, as a kid! Was it a dream? He never really slept well, but that was something else! Was that kid him, was it memory? It looked like him, it acted like him, it was where he always resided, it tinkered on the exoskeleton he is wearing, but it surely didn't feel like him. He couldn't explain it. That kid just felt so... wrong. This whole... memory felt so wrong.

But why? It was nothing spectacular, just stuff he could have guessed himself. Celestia and Tinker as bad parent figures? Sure. That would explain his grudge he had for those two and why Celestia has this abnormal compassion for him that she always tries to hide. But that room... What the hay was up with that room? A ton of books, a crying Celestia, those freaking tiles, what was that?

Fid looked around and noticed that the psychotherapist was still there, scribbling away at a notebook. How did she woke those damn memories within him? How? She looked and acted just like any other young mare, how could somepony likes this do something like that? He shook his head in vain.

“Fid?” she suddenly broke the silence. He looked into her face. “What?”

“Ah, good, you're awake.” A sigh of relief escaped her. “I think we accomplished more than enough for today. How about we call it a day?” His face still showed disbelieve towards her, but after a while he just sunk his head.

“Why not...” With a smile she stood up and lead him to the door.

“How about we meet again on Thursday, same time?” she offered before he was about to step through the door.

“Fine...” Fid muttered as he left.



Once leaving the Town Hall, he only now noticed how incredible sick he felt. The sun burned in his eyes like lit matches getting stung into them, every noise emitted around him came in blurred and his stomach was turning so bad he feared it was about to implode. He just had to reach his house and get some rest, away from those streets before accidentally colliding with some-

“Oof!” Of course... Maybe if he just walks along, whoever he bumped into will-

“Fid? What a coincidence! I was just about to visit you!” It's Twilight Sparkle, great... He couldn't make her out entirely, but how high were the chances that a purple blur was not her? And what was that about visiting him?

“And why?” he asked, wary not to throw up. Please just let it be a stupid 'getting to know ponies' idea of her so he can quickly fob her off.

“Well,” she started, “since you look like that you're pretty good with machinery, I wondered if you could fix my Leyline detector. That thing has been bugging out now for quite a while and nopony could figure out why.” Fixing a Leyline detector? Shouldn't take too long, at least not as long as getting rid of her otherwise.

“Fine,” he agreed, much to Twilights pleasure.

“But under one condition.” Pain shot through his stomach and his throat clenched, trying its best to not let any matter escape.

“I need to use your bathroom...”



One painful oral ejection later, he found himself in Ms. Sparkles house, thankfully not blurry anymore, which apparently also served as the towns library, and a tree...

“Are you feeling better?” Twilight Sparkle waited for him inside the... Living room? It was kinda hard to tell for him. She poured two cups of tea and offered him one.

“Here, that should help your stomach.” He rolled his eyes at her try in nursing him, but something to drink sounded like a good idea right now. He downed the cup, threw it over his shoulders (the lack of a shattering porcelain made him guess that it got caught) and pursued the problem.

“So, where is that Leyline detector?” He wanted this to be over as soon as possible, there were a lot of things on his mind he had to think about and that student of Celestia was already getting on his nerves with her obvious actions.

Though annoyed by his straight behavior, she shortly after magically levitated a compass-like object and moved it towards him. Not the newest, but a advanced model, he noticed upon holding it.

Whenever coming in contact with a Leyline, just like when a compass is held in a magnetic field, the needle inside would deflect and showcase its currents direction. With this model, the strength and assumed length were also displayed. A really handy device for somepony wanting to open a portal or communicate over longer distances. It appeared to be completely functional though.

He surveyed the machine thoughtfully. “I don't see a problem with it,” was his final verdict.

Twilight sighed vexed. “That's what everypony else said as well. But I'm serious, sometimes the thing just randomly hits out for no reason. Test it yourself, walk around the house for a bit and you see what I mean.”

Annoyed, he convinced himself to just play along and figure out her unimportant, from the looks of it, never existing, problem. He began to trot through the tree and indeed, the needle strangely hit out multiple times, always showcasing the same Magic-strength-points, but never the same direction whenever doing so. The areas where it showed results where too small for natural lines and the sheer amount of them alone made this an impossible scenario. So either it is broken, or...

He hold the detector in one of the areas of effect and moved it back and forth. No change. Then he followed it until he reached a wall, where the needle all of the sudden made a curve. Bingo.

“Ms. Sparkle, did you happen to have experimented with any protection or bounding spells lately?”

Twilight stared at him in confusion. “No?”

Fid continued to follow the stream with the detector.

“Then I rather have to call you a liar or somepony lately left something personal in your house.” He pursued the Leyline to a door.

“You see, the reason why your Leyline detector constantly hits out for apparently no reason is because a focused Leyline, the kinda one you create by casting a spell, flows through your house.” Behind the door were steps, leading into a basement.

“The stronger the spell, the thicker the Leyline, the harder for it to pass through solid objects.” He took the steps down the basement. “

What happened here was, an object and a caster are in a constant bond, too strong to slip and too weak to force itself through your walls, and therefore bounced off them several times until it hit a surface weak enough to pass through.” He stopped in front of a box. Twilight stepped right next to him, impressed by his precision of finding the source.

“Wow, I never would have guessed it was something that simple.” She giggled at her finally solved bother.

Fid glared at the detectors measurements of the lines strength. A number of four hundred Magic-strength-points was NOT something simple. “Would you open the box?”

“Sure, there is nothing but junk in there anyway.” Once open, a bunch of blankets and board games came into his view, but also a cyan gem the size of his hoof.

He whistled in regard as he immediately recognized it for what it was. “This must be one of the biggest Magi-gems I've ever seen. Where did you get this?”

Twilight looked at him in disbelieve. “I- A pony called Trixie lost it when she said her farewells. I noticed it to late and didn't know where she went, so I decided to take care of it until she returns. But hold on!”
Her tone became more serious now. “How do you know that thing is a Magi-gem? Look at the size, it's huge!”

“Because that 'thing' emits a tremendous amount of Magic, and that is also point two, it 'emits' magic. If it would be a normal gem it couldn't do that. And before you ask why you then didn't accidentally drew any magic by touching it, the gem is obviously bounded to a owner, making any unintended try of obtaining some of its power invalid.” After some unsuccessful attempts of countering Fid, she finally admitted defeat and lowered her head towards the gem, amazed by their discovery. Fid looked back at the Leyline detector.

“Take the Magi-gem and follow me outside.” He commanded the Unicorn. She obeyed, to impressed by stone to ask why she had to take hold of it. Once outside, Fid hold the detector next to the gem to find out the destination of its magic.

“About northeast...” he muttered. “Any mayor city that way?” Celestias student deliberated about the question.

“Well, Canterlot.” Fid shook his head. “Too close.” “Manehatten?” He shook his head again. “No, no, way too far away.”

Twilight thought for another minute before remembering another place. “How about Hollow Shades?”

Fid looked at her puzzled. “Hollow what?” he tried to repeat her. “Hollow Shades.” she corrected him. “It's a small town located in between the two.”

Fid calculated the rough distance between the Cities. “Yeah, that could actually work out.”

The Unicorn besides him beamed with anticipation. “So! What are we waiting for? Hollow Shades it is then!”

His eyes locked onto her, startled by her abrupt outburst.

“What?” was the only word that slid into his mind. Celestias student nudged her elbow into his thigh.

“Don't give me that now! We figured this out together, so we're gonna investigate this together!” And only now he suddenly realized that he stepped right into her trap.

He may can imagine that the student of Celestia would deny that what they found is not a Magi-gem, just because of its unbelievable size, but being not capable of figuring this, as she said herself, simple problem of her Leyline detector out herself was something he should've question earlier. If his head just wasn't still on fire he may had noticed this out before it was too late.

He groaned, what turned into a whine and back into a groan. “...Fine...” he gave up. Obviously he failed too hard now to save himself somehow.

“Just... Just give me a day or two in order to recover and study that gem.” Not wanting to push him and happy with her 'progress', she agreed, placed the stone into his duffel bag and told him she couldn't wait for their little adventure. He rubbed his temples, but it was no good, the combined pain of his troubled mind, anger and own stupidity could not be banished from his head. He was right when he said that he's probably going to hate this place...


“Get back up boy, you got more than enough time for slacking of later!”

Face first flung into the dirt by an old crock. Him! This 'training' is the biggest humiliation he ever endured. What happens is, Sacred Shield gives him a weapon, says hit me, parries all of his hits with a stick when he tries, then punishes him with a single counter that usually flings him in the mud.

He picked himself up from the ground, looking over his abused coat. Absolutely ruined! But because of the pain in his limbs and exhaustion he was lacking the strength of complaining.

“Here!” The old stallion threw yet another weapon at him. Too drained of his stamina, he was incapable of reacting fast enough to catch the weapon with his magic. Instead, it hit his hip, bringing him to fall again. Yet again rising from the ground he had enough. No more of this nonsense!

“No!” The old man didn't even bother to stop in his track as he reentered the 'arena'.

“Pick up your weapon,” he simply ordered. Blueblood drew a sudden bulge of energy from somewhere. Who did he thought stood in front of him?

“No! I will not continue this violent nonsense! I'm dirty, my mane is ruffled, my whole body hurts and I think one of my teeth is loose! This is an unacceptable display to treat royalty! I should let you get banned from our country! But for now, ending your 'training' forever will satisfy my needs.”

The old fool simply shook his head at his demands. And rather than to bend to his will, he opened the snarling mouth of his. “A pathetic weakling like you will not give me orders.” A mischievous grin formed on the old stallions face. The nerve!

“Why, I don't even think you are really of royalty. Probably just a bastard the princess took pity on!” Pure anger pumped into his head. Of course he was of full blooded royalty, how could he even think of something ludicrous like this.

“And to tell the truth, the section of Top Mare that includes your designed costumes makes the nineties look like top tier.” Enough! He can take the spineless insults, he can take the false imputations, but nopony, nopony, says that the nineties looked better than anything, especially his own hard work!

He picked up the object this fool assaulted him with just a second ago and began to rain down attacks at the surprised captain, who had a hard time blocking them all. “Nopony. Insults. My. ATTIRE!”

Unfortunately, after about half a minute of him plunging his weapon upon Sacred, the former captain successfully disarmed him, and yet again, lunged him into the dirt. This can not be! Defeated by a pawn, again and again? Great shame overcame him. He failed his name, his title, his art... He crawled together into a ball, wanting to cry, but not capable, because... because...

“Looks like we finally found something.” Blueblood looked up to his tormentor, who seemed to smile, but more in relief than in amusement. Whatever did he mean? As if Sacred saw the question written on his face, he helped Blueblood back up while clarifying himself.

“A mace. A blunt weapon for a blunt personality, I guess,” he chuckled. “Sorry,” he apologized after noticing Bluebloods frown. “and sorry for those other insults, but I had to see you with your blood pumping. And to my surprise, you actually have a wild side.”

Blueblood grew unsure. Him having a wild side? Sacred picked up the weapon and again, threw it towards Blueblood. This time prepared however, he caught it, and this time, examined what he was even bombarded with. A flanged mace, he recalled this thing being worn by his guards. To be true, they had a certain grace, but he always thought the elegance of a sword fit best on his personal escort. But when choosing a weapon for himself?

Holding a mace, in particular this one, was a symbol of power, wasn't it? Yes, he began to like the idea of using this weapon. In fact, he loved it! The old man does know his weaponry, he must say! With this he will clarify to all of Equestria his superior status! Everypony shall bow in fear and respect to his mighty weapon!

Without even noticing nor remembering how, he saw a familiar spot in the dirt tickling on his nose. He took it all back. The idea of swinging a mace, or any weapon, was a horrible notion... And why did that crook even knew about his article in Top Mare?!


Finally some piece and quiet. Finally some time for herself!

Luna roamed the market of Ponyville, Buying things here, looking at stuff there. The shopmare of the strawberry stand greeted her, she began a smalltalk with a random blue and pink maned pony, got a compliment from one of the clerk at the jewelery stand. She enjoyed this... simple way of living. No tasks, no duties. Just her and the fresh air of freedom...

She awoke herself from her ridiculous dream of calmness in her life. She had a task: Figuring out about that boy, Fid. And what has she done the last week? Nothing. Instead she focused in furnishing an old shack and discipline Blueblood. In fact, what was she still doing here? Taking a stroll and buying food for her own good? She was the princess of the moon, one of the rulers of this country! So she should act like one and begin to fulfill her duties! Hold on, speaking of her duties and moon...

She looked skyward, noticing in shock that the sun was about to set behind the horizon. It was time for her to rise her moon, how could she forget?! One more reason for her to go home as fast as possible. Picking up haste, she began to trot towards her house, pushing aside random individuals.
How hasn't she noticed that she already was here for over an hour? Oooh, why does time always fly so fast when enjoying life. Seriously, she shall contact Celestia about this nuisance if they couldn't change the flow of time somehow!

When she came near the exit, thankfully the mob dissolve and she only had to roam past ponies who had the same goal as she did, considering the time. She was almost out of the market, just a couple of hoofsteps further...

“Oh, Mrs. Silverlight!” Curses! Trying to hide her stress, she turned towards the pony that called for her.

“Oh, Mayor! What a coincidence!” Great, she couldn't just shake of the Mayor of the town, now could she? The one thing she only could do was to hope that this will only take a moment.

“Please, call me Manage.” Luna blinked dumbfounded. “Alright... Manage.” Luna was a bit confused. Why this sudden demand for lack of courtesies?

“See Twinkle, I'm allowed to say Twinkle, am I?” She should shake her head just to bring this conversation to an end, but... she nodded.

“Good!” The Mayor grinned cheerfully. “I wanted to ask you if you and me, both of us, could go out for a drink or something.”

...What? Before she could even reconsider the offer the Mayor already continued. “You see, I know that it can be hard to find new friends when moving to a new place, especially when living on the very edge of town. So I, as Mayor, decided that it would be best to befriend you, showcasing just what kind of a wonderful place Ponyville is!”

Luna furrowed her eyebrows. This can't be the only reason she wants to know her better... At least she hoped so. But, even when considering that she was not completely honest, having friends in this place surely won't be a bad thing. Of course, it would complicate things even more, but also stabilize other, she guessed. Besides, she was running out of time, so accepting should bring this conversation to an fast conclusion.

“I would gladly do so!” she answered with fake enthusiasm. “Great!” the Mayor beamed with satisfaction.

“How about this Saturday around noon at the place we have met earlier then?” It was autumn, so she would have raised her moon by then already. “Sounds good!” What was she getting herself into?

“Splendid!” Mrs. Mare exclaimed. “Until then!”

They both waved goodbye and departed. Finally, Luna could hurry back home, hopefully in time or this night will be missing its watcher for a while...