• Published 27th May 2013
  • 5,050 Views, 173 Comments

Sweet Treats and Royal Delights - JaketheGinger



Bon Bon is your average hard working mare, running her own candy stall in Ponyville. But when Celestia tries one of her candies, she gives Bon Bon the offer of a lifetime. With Twilight by her side, how will Bon Bon cope with the changes ahead?

  • ...
8
 173
 5,050

A Trip to the Castle

Bon Bon shuffled in her seat.

What am I doing? This is totally crazy and irresponsible! I should be at home, working on my next batch of candies. Instead, I’m doing...

She looked around at her surroundings, nearby ponies ignoring her.

This! Come on, Bon Bon, you were fine back there. Why take the risk? It’s foolish, doing all this...

Her ears twitched. The whistle had been blown. The escape of steam could be heard.

… and yet, it’s exciting.

While she contemplated in her house, Bon Bon thought it best that a walk outside would make her feel less conflicted and perhaps even provide an answer. But as she walked by the library, a voice nagged her mind.

Do it. What is there to lose? It’s a test. That’s all. Take the plunge now and make your mind up later.

It was her own voice. It told her to step into the library and talk to Twilight. She arranged everything for Bon Bon’s arrival and told her to take the train to Canterlot, but it was the voice that made her sit down. It was the voice that told her to stay.

This won’t be something you’ll regret. It’ll be an experience.

The train jerked forward and Bon Bon squeaked, jumping in her seat. She looked out of the window to see Ponyville station slowly moving away from her. Then a lump formed in her throat when the station disappeared from view and she could see Canterlot in the distance.

You can’t do this, not without the zap apples. It was because of them that you’re here.

That other voice was back. The voice that kept her awake last night. The voice that made her hesitate as she stepped onto the train. The voice that made her squirm in her seat.

Princess Celestia will deem you mediocre and send you back the way you came. That is inevitable. Why are you doing this?

Bon Bon shot up from her seat. “Bathroom!”

The other ponies on the train turned their heads, some eyebrows raised and some giggles stifled. Bon Bon felt her cheeks go warm as she briskly trotted down the aisle and found the bathroom, swiftly locking herself in.

Bon Bon turned on the taps and splashed some water on her face. She rubbed her eyes and stared at herself in the mirror. A few hairs in her mane were out of place and her eyes were beginning to become bloodshot. Something was eating at her. It wasn’t anxiety about the test.

It was the indecision. The lack of clarity. The inability to predict what would happen to her. To have such an important, life changing decision placed upon her, yet without any clear answers of what would happen... it terrified her.

She gripped the sides of the sink and leant closer to her reflection. Her brows furrowed as her eyes pierced into those of the scared pony in front of her. Slowly, but surely, that mare became determined.

“This is only a test,” she told herself. “A free sample of what might come. After this, I will know what to do.”

She smiled slightly and repeated her words. “I will know what to do.” She repeated them again. Her smile turned into a grin. “Okay, I’m good now.”

She swung open the door and marched back to her seat, ignoring the passing stares some ponies gave her. Settling back into her seat, she looked out of the window to see Canterlot in the distance. Not long to go now.

The journey was relatively short, so there wasn’t enough time to catch a quick nap. After a while of darkness in Canterlot Mountain, the train zoomed out of the tunnel and light was instantly everywhere. A few minutes after, the train wheezed and slowly came to a stop at the station. Out of the window, Bon Bon could see Twilight, flanked by several royal guards. That gave her a little start. She hadn’t expected something so... official. But given that Twilight was preparing things, she thought she should have guessed.

Taking her saddlebags (she had packed light for this trip), she stepped onto the platform and approached the royal procession. Twilight spotted her and began to wave with a overly-enthusiastic smile on her face. Bon Bon coughed, holding back a laugh; such a friendly welcome did not fit in with the stoic guards besides her.

Bon Bon casually trotted up to Twilight, ignoring the guards’ presence. “Hello, Twilight.” A guard next to the Princess let out a little cough, looking at Bon Bon out of the corner of his eye.

Twilight’s ear flicked and she shot the guard an assertive, but disappointed look. “I shouldn't think a friend would need to conform to royal customs. At least, not in front of me.”

The guard nodded firmly. “Yes, your Highness.”

Twilight frowned a tad. “You don’t need to call me that all the time, by the way.”

The guard nodded again. “Yes, Princess.”

The alicorn raised a hoof, about to bring it to her face, but she thought better of it, shaking her head. Her demeanor did a complete one-eighty when she looked at Bon Bon. “Anyway... yes! It’s good that you’re here! Follow me and I’ll take you to the castle.” She peered at the saddlebags and her horn began to glow. Yet, that stopped as soon as she looked at her own procession. Bon Bon heard a little sigh as Twilight turned around.

They went out of the station and towards a royal chariot for Twilight. It was like Celestia’s, except the colors were reversed. Purple was the dominant color, making up the framework of the chariot, including the front wheels. The back wheels had Twilight’s cutie mark in the middle of them, as did the flag on top of the chariot.

Twilight and Bon Bon stepped on and reclined against the golden fabric as the guards took their places. The candymaker couldn’t help but grin like a child as she inspected the transport she was in. She a ran a hoof over the purple metal of the chariot, her mouth going agape. This was something extravagant, amazing and beautiful.

Then it suddenly took off into the air. Bon Bon was jerked back into her seat as she felt rather weightless. Twilight chortled quietly, then looked ahead at Canterlot Castle. Guards surrounded them, two pulling the chariot along, their wing strokes measured and powerful. They were going at quite a pace, to the extent that Bon Bon felt chilly as the wind passed them. She hunched up, rubbing her forelegs. At least her teeth weren’t chattering. Twilight noticed this but didn’t say anything. She knew what she wanted to say, but...

“Wings are good for keeping warm!” she blurted out, then immediately covered her mouth with her hooves. Bon Bon blinked, then looked at her, eyebrow raised. She said nothing, allowing Twilight the chance to go on.

Twilight lowered one hoof, keeping the other close to her mouth. “They have lots of blood vessels in them, so...” She awkwardly extended her wing and wrapped it around Bon Bon. Soon, the earth pony felt all warm and snug. Particular emphasis in her mind went towards snug; the pair were now incredibly close to each other.

“So, um, that’s good because then the heat energy from my wings can go to you and that’s why we’re so close together because that will reduce the distance needed for the heart—heat energy to travel from my wings to you!” Twilight rambled, shuffling a little.

Then there was silence. Even the guards were looking away from them.

Twilight scratched her head, staring off into the distance. “I’m sorry, I’m—”

“A silly pony?” Bon Bon interrupted. What was wrong with this? Twilight was keeping her warm. That was all there was to it. Although, she thought Twilight’s rushed spiel was cute in its own right.

Twilight chuckled. “I guess. My friends have called me that before. And admittedly, I’ve done some things I could’ve handled better.”

“I suppose not even princesses are perfect?” Bon Bon suggested.

A little smile crept onto Twilight’s face. “I’ll agree with that.”

The chariot began to make a slow, controlled descent down to the castle. Butterflies began to fly around in Bon Bon’s stomach as they neared the ground, but the firm wing hug Twilight was giving her prevented any of them from escaping through her mouth.

Twilight withdrew her wing when they landed, somewhat reluctantly. She gestured for the guards to open the huge, solid looking doors before them. Slowly but surely, they creaked open and Twilight led Bon Bon inside.

Bon Bon struggled to keep up, for her legs wanted to stop so she could properly admire the stained glass windows on either side of her. Each told a story of heroes of Equestria, forgotten to some but always honored within the castle walls. Only now, as the pair walked along the lush, velvet carpet that stretched the hall, had Bon Bon fully realised that she was staying here.

“I’ll take you to your room so you can have time to adjust,” Twilight said. She looked back at Bon Bon, smiling. “Then maybe you’d like a tour?”

Bon Bon gasped and jumped in excitement. “Yes! That would be amazing!”

“Sounds like a plan,” Twilight affirmed, then stared back ahead. The two kept walking, turning corners and going down more corridors. Bon Bon was too much in awe to say anything and Twilight let her revel in it.

Eventually they came to a series of doors lining the walls. “This is where guests of the castle tend to stay,” Twilight explained, peering at the doors. “And your room iiiis... ah! Here!” She patted one of the doors, then opened it and stepped on through.

Bon Bon actually expected something bigger, yet it was still no less impressive. A white double bed took up most of the space, the pillows looking very cushiony with gold trims. There was a grand wardrobe opposite and a bedside cabinet next to the bed, with a rather regal looking lamp. The walls were painted white and on the ceiling was a big image of Celestia’s cutie mark. There was another door, which Bon Bon assumed led to the bathroom. Oddly enough, there were no kitchen facilities to speak of.

“Um...” Bon Bon went in the center of the room, peering about. “Twilight, there’s no oven or washing machine or anything like that.”

Twilight scoffed. “This isn’t a hotel. The servants do the menial tasks for guests.” Twilight then squeaked, placing a hoof over her mouth. “I didn’t mean it like that! I don’t look down on them at all! No! I admire them for getting their hooves dirty and I know I could never do that but you could and that’s why you’re here and I think that’s amazing because it shows—”

Bon Bon laughed quietly to herself and put a reassuring hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Twilight? You’re being silly again.” Twilight’s cheeks started to flush with color. “Just show me where they do those things when you take me on the tour.”

Twilight nodded and collected her breath, then simply levitated Bon Bon’s saddlebags off her and placed them neatly on the bed. “You’re just like Applejack. In a good way, of course!” she hastily added. “I respect a pony who’s willing to do everything herself.”

Bon Bon nodded, then went to unpacking. She only took a few necessities with her, such as toiletries and a few snacks. “It’s not the servants’ job to do stuff that’s normally my job, you know?”

“Well, actually it is, but I see your point,” Twilight replied.

“Mhm.” Bon Bon kept putting things out on the bed. And kept it on doing it for far longer than she should have. Grumbling, she looked inside her saddlebags. The toothbrush was inside and that was the first thing she unpacked. Bon Bon scratched her mane, a puzzled look on her face.

“What’s wrong?” Twilight asked, joining Bon Bon’s side.

“I think I’m going mad. Stuff that I thought I had unpacked is now... packed!” She took out the toothbrush and firmly placed it on the bed, staring intently at it for a few seconds, before returning to her saddlebags. Now her manebrush was back in. Bon Bon rubbed her eyes. “Just... what?!”

Twilight’s brow furrowed as her horn began to glow, a faint hum emanating from it. Then her face turned deadpan. “Okay, you can come out now. I know you’re here.”

“Are we both going mad?” Bon Bon snarked. “We’re the only ones in here.”

Twilight’s expression didn’t change. “No, we’re not.” Trotting around, she looked everywhere around the room for something. “Stop being annoying and reveal yourself right now!” she ordered, stamping a hoof irritably on the floor.

Bon Bon blinked, watching Twilight move and rant at nothing.

“Rather mad, isn’t she?” said the pillow next to her.

Bon Bon turned to the pillow. “I’ll say...” she said, gazing back to Twilight. Then the gears in her head finally clicked. She whipped her head towards the pillow, eyes wide. “WHAT?!

Twilight shot a look towards the commotion, then flew forward, landing on the bed. She stared down at the pillow. It had two yellow eyes and a mouth with a very distinct fang. “Discord,” she said tersely.

Bon Bon jumped at the name. The news that he had apparently ‘reformed’ and was under Celestia’s care was certainly a shocker to everypony back home. Most were paranoid that he was plotting something. He hadn’t unleashed any horrors yet, though Bon Bon understandably kept wary.

“Twilight,” he replied civilly.

“Stop inhabiting the pillow,” Twilight told him, an annoyed expression on her face.

A giant ear appeared on the side of the pillow. It looked like Twilight’s and it twitched. “I didn’t hear the ‘p-word’.”

Twilight huffed. “Are you really going to do this?” Bon Bon looked between the two, halfway between amused and completely baffled.

“Yes, because Celestia told me of the importance of saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’,” Discord said matter-of-factly. Bon Bon quirked an eyebrow.

Twilight grinded her teeth together and Bon Bon swore she could start to feel heat coming from her. But, abruptly, she stopped. She raised a foreleg and let out a deep breath, waving her leg to the side as if clearing away baggage. Her next words were completely calm. “Please get out of the pillow, Discord.”

“Thank you,” he said, stressing his words. Then the pillow began to ripple slightly, as his long, chaotic form slipped out of the pillow until he was floating above the bed.

Bon Bon took a few steps back from the bed, eyes wide. “Okay, I might have to burn that now.”

“I can arrange that.” With a snap of his fingers, Discord quickly burnt the pillow away until not a speck of it was left. Miraculously, the rest of the bed was left unharmed.

The quickness of the flames and their raw ferocity caused Bon Bon to stumble back onto her rear, placing a hoof on her chest. “Um... okay, that works...”

Discord stroked his beard with his taloned hand, inspecting Bon Bon with his red, beady eyes. “So, Twilight, aren’t you going to introduce me to our new guest?”

“Yes. Discord, this is Bon Bon.” Twilight gestured at said pony with a hoof. “She is here so she can prove herself worthy to become the royal confectioner.”

Discord clasped his hands together, letting out a delightful chuckle. “A confectioner? Oh, how wonderful! I think we’re going to have a lot of fun with her.”

“Discord, you are not to mess around with her, okay?” Twilight said, although it was close to sounding like an order.

The draconequus waved a paw dismissively towards Twilight. “Oh, fine. You’re such a grump sometimes.” He then snapped his fingers, disappearing in a flash, then reappearing next to the alicorn, grinning. “I’ll just have to focus my fun on you instead.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, while Discord ran his eyes over Bon Bon. Literally. His eyes popped out of their sockets and began rolling all over Bon Bon, from her hooves to her neck. Her hairs stood on end and she tensed up. His eyes felt so cold and... weird.

As his eyes ran down her tail, Discord’s chest started heaving as he laughed. “Oh, this is priceless!” The eyes then made the jump back into their sockets, rotating a little so they could get in the right position. “Have you seen her tail?!”

Bon Bon twisted around so she could get a look at her tail. “It looks normal to me...” she muttered.

Discord grabbed Twilight and pulled her to the back of Bon Bon, pointing at her tail. “Just look at it!” he exclaimed, picking up the pink strand of Bon Bon’s tail and lifting it up and down. “This bit is longer than all the rest! Talk about a bad mane day.” He then dropped the tail and tapped his head. “No, that doesn’t work.” Another snap of his fingers and Bon Bon found her tail and mane switched places. “Now it works!”

Bon Bon’s face was obscured by the strands of her former tail dropping down over her. Despite that, her grumbling made it clear what her mood was. Her neck strained as she struggled to keep her neck up. Unfortunately, she couldn’t maintain that and her head ended up hanging close to the ground.

“Well, I like her tail!” Twilight defended. She cleared her throat before going on, “As a tail.”

“I suppose hair has always been a subjective matter,” Discord conceded, correcting Bon Bon’s mane and tail, to which she raised her head and let out a sigh of relief. “I’ve had my fun here. For now, at least. It’s time to mess around with the Princess of the Night.”

Twilight raised a hoof. “But, isn’t she sleeping?”

Discord knocked a fist on his head, looking at Twilight like she just stated the obvious. Before the two ponies could say anything, there was another flash and he was gone.

Twilight patted down Bon Bon’s mane, a little messy from its abuse. “Sorry about him,” she said, giving her an apologetic look. “I promise he’s not so bad most of the time.” She paused. “Kind of.”

Bon Bon rubbed her neck. “As long as he doesn’t cause trouble when I’m working I... think I can deal with it?” she said, her words full of uncertainty. “Can you just take me on the tour now?”

“Gladly,” Twilight responded, smiling. She led Bon Bon back into the corridors and the pair walked alongside each other at a steady pace. “The halls do look similar to each other, I’ll admit, but if you get lost you can always ask a guard for directions. Or me, if I’m around.”

The duo headed down some stairs and the presence of more servants became apparent. Bon Bon watched as ponies in different uniforms rushed about, some carrying items such as towels or food. Her attention soon broke away from them though, in favor of Twilight’s wings. “What was it like, gaining new limbs?”

Twilight shrugged, looking nonchalant. “Natural, really. It’s like they’ve been with me the whole time.” She flexed her wings a little.

“Huh...” Bon Bon watched as Twilight moved her wings. “I guess that make sense?”

Twilight nodded like she was a sage. “Indeed. I still have all the nerves in them and they’re connected to my brain. So my brain makes me think that it’s perfectly normal for them to be there. Nerve impulses travel down my neurons...” she kept on babbling about things Bon Bon didn’t really understand. Not that she stopped her though. Bon Bon found it rather cool how a pony could be so passionate about something so intricate.

“And that’s how nerves work,” Twilight finished. “It’s fascinating, really. Our bodies are the most complex piece of ‘technology’ out there.”

“Oh, yes, I completely agree,” Bon Bon affirmed. “Maybe not the coolest out there, though.”

“Nothing’s perfect. We’re far from it in more than one aspect.” She paused and let out a barely audible sigh. “I’m a princess but I’m still...” She gave a resigned look at the nearby guards. “Me.”

“I’ve never thought otherwise,” Bon Bon spoke in a reassuring tone.

Twilight gave her a soft smile. “Thanks.” Her vigor was renewed as they approached another door, bigger than the others nearby. “And here we are: the castle kitchens.” Twilight opened it with her magic and the sight that lay before Bon Bon completely stunned her.

The room was massive, rows of kitchen facilities next to one another. Ponies in white uniforms hurried about from station to station, cleaning, preparing and cooking. It was hectic, yet strangely orderly. It was relatively quiet, save for the occasional talk about the job from ponies and the sound of hooves going against the white tiles. The walls were painted in a tasteful amber, making the whole room seem less like a hellhole of a work place.

That said, it was vastly different from anything Bon Bon was used to. She was used to baking candies by herself, in her own time, her own space, as she pleased. Here, those things were not guaranteed. The place was like a machine, every pony a cog. She wondered whether she was the right shape to fit in.

Twilight noticed Bon Bon pawing at the floor with her forehoof, so she carefully got closer to her. “You’ll have your own work station and plenty of assistance to help you settle in. Don’t worry, I know everypony here looks like a drone in a hive, but they’re all very nice.”

Bon Bon nodded slowly. “Well, that’s good to know...”

“Come on, there’s still plenty for us to see,” Twilight said, turning back and leaving the room.

Bon Bon gave the kitchens a final glance before following her. When she returned to the halls, Twilight closed the door behind them. Bon Bon’s ears twitched as she tried to listen out for any sounds from the kitchen. Nothing notable could be heard, if anything at all; the door was pretty thick.

“Next, I’ll show you where the servants wash their clothes and such. Then after that, their mess hall,” Twilight announced, setting off at a light trot.

Bon Bon started to follow, although she was a little slower. She watched the kitchen doors as they got smaller and smaller. It was only when they turned a corner, did she look forward.


“So that was the recreational room for the servants...” Twilight scratched her ear. “I’m not sure what else I can show you...”

Bon Bon sulked a little. The two had seen more of the same old halls than actual rooms and while they were impressive at first, they became old very quickly. She wanted to see the armory and where the magi practice their magics! All the cool fantasy stuff like that! But, nope, instead they trudged around boring servant rooms.

“Aren’t you a princess?” Bon Bon asked, a little snappier than she had intended.

“Yes, but I’m still answerable to the Royal Sisters.” Twilight stopped in the middle of a crossroads. Bon Bon looked down all four directions, then grumbled as she quickly realised that they all appeared the same. Of course! “I’m not sure they’ll approve of me letting you see the important parts of the castle...” Twilight itched her neck.

Bon Bon snorted. “Isn’t there something vaguely interesting you can show me?”

Twilight rapidly turned to face Bon Bon, her face a mixture of surprise and offense. “I can’t just ignore royal protocol. I’m sorry, but...” Her lips burbled out some incomprehensible nonsense. She fell quiet, only just looking at the confectioner. “I’m sorry.”

Bon Bon let out a deep breath, almost deflating. She raised a hoof off the ground and examined it. All her hooves were throbbing. “No, I’m sorry.” She set her hoof down and gave Twilight an apologetic look. “It’s been a long day, there’s things on my mind and my hooves ache. I’m normally patient, but... I’m just tired, I suppose.”

“No, I’m sorry.” Twilight rubbed the left side of her face, groaning a little. “Everypony who comes here has such a high expectation and the castle rarely meets that.” She chuckled weakly. “I remember when Rainbow Dash first came here. She was prepared to bounce off the walls, she was that bored.” Twilight brought a hoof to a chin. “Actually, Pinkie was already doing that.”

Bon Bon smirked. “Okay, that I can imagine very clearly.”

“Yeah, I get the feeling the castle would be a lot more lively if she were around all the time...” Twilight looked down the halls, a slightly pained look on her face. It quickly changed when she a nearby guard exchanged glances. Her face went to a neutral state as she looked back at Bon Bon. “There is one room I can show you, I guess.”

Bon Bon leant forward, tilting her ear slightly. “And that would be?”

“My personal quarters,” Twilight revealed.

Bon Bon blinked twice. “What? Oh no, you don’t have to show me them. That’s your personal space, isn’t it?” Bon Bon caught a fleeting expression of hurt on Twilight’s face and resisted the urge to apply hoof to face.

“I don’t see it any different from me inviting you to the library back in Ponyville,” Twilight reasoned.

Bon Bon nodded rapidly, replying with enthusiasm. “Yes! Silly me, of course it’s just like that. Sorry, must be the tiredness, heh. Lead the way, Twilight.”

Twilight beamed and Bon Bon swore she heard a squee come from her. “Goodie. Let’s go then.” Twilight went ahead, her movements purposeful and energetic. Bon Bon did her best to keep up, despite the protests of her aching hooves.

Amazingly, the halls began to change in design. So did the guards. The pair went through an archway, flanked by guards covered in even more ornate armor than those Bon Bon had seen before and the stained glass windows had even more intricate designs. Everything seemed ten times grander.

Twilight made a left turn and went down a thinner hallway, coming up to another archway. Above it was a replica of Twilight’s cutie mark, made entirely out of gems. Guarding the entry were two guards in very unique armor indeed, unlike anything Bon Bon had seen before.

Unlike the other guards, these ones did not wear helmets. Instead, they were equipped with steel circlets with a purple jewel in the middle, just at their forehead. Both were unicorns, their horns were in grey metal rings for protection. Most of their barding was hidden under an elegant and extremely regal dark purple caparison, which made them appear as if they were wearing robes. To top it off, leaning against each of them were their weapon of choice: a beautifully carved violet spear.

Twilight gave the two a firm nod as she strode past them and they returned with a stern salute. Bon Bon found it hard to tear her eyes away as she went by. “Are those your personal guard? I thought—why weren’t they with you at the station?”
Twilight giggled, her wings practically twitching with excitement. “They are my guards, yes, but not just any sort of guard. They’re my battle magi.”

Bon Bon’s jaw dropped. “Battle magi?!” Now things like this were what she wanted to see.

“Indeed. The unicorns in Celestia’s guard are adept with magic, but not to the extent of mine. Many of these ponies were just magi before I became a Princess. Which helps me explain your second question; many of them still do the research they did before. In fact, I had a library set up here for that very purpose, as well as some labs.” She smiled at a passing battle magus, who strolled by, a book floating in front of him. “They’ve all been trained in close combat, so they’re very skilled fighters. I can’t say the idea was all mine, though.”

Bon Bon raised an eyebrow. “Who suggested it?”

“Princess Luna did,” Twilight confirmed, with a short nod. “Although it was my suggestion to allow them to continue their hobbies and research.”

“Wow... this is... wow...” Bon Bon felt her leg shaking and she nearly collapsed onto the floor. It was only her foreleg instinctively digging into the ground that saved her from a tumble. “Eugh...”

“Bon Bon?” Twilight asked, frantically going over to Bon Bon and helping her get up with a tender touch. Her face slackened as she gave her friend a grave look. “Are you okay?”

“I think it’s my body telling me to take a break,” Bon Bon replied, blinking slowly. “Like I said earlier... long day.”

“In that case, allow me to escort you to your room,” Twilight said, smiling sincerely. “Don’t worry about walking anymore!”
Her horn started to glow as a magical field enveloped Bon Bon, her hooves gradually lifting off the ground. Her body tightened up, becoming alert. “I won’t drop you,” Twilight reassured. “Promise.”

Bon Bon swallowed, the butterflies from earlier back in her stomach. “Er, right...”

“You don’t like being off the ground, do you?” the princess inquired. Bon Bon replied with a shake of her head. “Alright, sorry. Plan B.” She narrowed her eyes, concentrating as Bon Bon was carefully lifted towards Twilight, being set down on her back.

Twilight’s legs buckled under Bon Bon’s weight, yet they stood up straight and firm after a second of adjustment.
Bon Bon blinked as she felt her stomach press against Twilight’s back. Then she gripped onto her as the alicorn almost fell down. “Sorry! I’m a little heavy...”

“It’s fine,” Twilight said through gritted teeth, still adjusting to the load. “You’re an earth pony, so you have more muscle than most. And muscle weighs more than fat.” She looked back at her charge. “You alright back there?”

“Comfy,” Bon Bon responded instantly. “Er—secure too.” Twilight shrugged and took slow, steady steps forward, unaware of the small blush forming on Bon Bon’s cheeks.

That was embarrassing... I must be really tired to be that tactless, Bon Bon thought, covering her mouth with a hoof as she yawned. Perhaps her worn out state wasn’t so surprising; after a troubled train journey, followed by Discord of all beings messing around her, followed by trailing after Twilight down the long hallways of the castle... yeah, she was done for the day.

Before she knew it, Twilight had walked into Bon Bon’s room and knelt down so the earth pony could get off. Bon Bon slid off, wincing a little as her tender hooves made contact with the floor. She shuffled towards the bed, which looked very appealing at the moment.

Twilight stifled a giggled as she watched Bon Bon hug the bed, then climb onto it and sprawl herself out. “You seem good by yourself for now. Have a nice rest, okay?”

Bon Bon barely nodded. “Yeah...” When she heard the sound of hooves moving, she rose and stared at the alicorn. “Twilight?”

The princess froze, then looked back at her, smiling. “Yes, Bon Bon?”

“Thanks for...” Bon Bon sluggishly waved a hoof about. “Everything today.”

Twilight’s grin grew. “It was my pleasure, Bon Bon. Now, sleep. Tomorrow, you’ll have to prepare for your test.”

Bon Bon smiled tiredly at her, then laid her head back down. “Yeah... see ya then.”

“Sleep well,” Twilight said, her voice dripping with sincerity. Bon Bon barely heard the sound of the door closing when she left. Her eyes were struggling to keep open at this point, so she gave into her body’s demands and slowly fell asleep...

Wait.

Her eyes shot open and she rose from the bed as if a spring had been placed under her. She brought her hooves to her mane and twiddled a stray strand of hair.

Prepare? Tomorrow?! This...

“This is really happening...” she told herself, then fell onto the bed, eyes now refusing to close.

The night was going to be a very long one indeed.