• Published 27th May 2013
  • 1,670 Views, 109 Comments

From the Outside In - DarkParable



The tale of a young boy's life, from lowest to highest points.

  • ...
8
 109
 1,670

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: Parable's Hat.

"...And thusly they remained there for awhile, trapped benieth a mischievous ball of fur." said a bone white pegasus to the assembled crowd before him. The stallion in question reached over and took hold of a glass of water, bringing it to his lips he tilted it back to quench his slightly parched throat when he was interrupted by a highly curious filly.

"Wait a second, you can't end it there mister Parable! Please keep telling the story... Please?" these words were coupled with enough weaponized cuteness to call world peace five times over, and still level the city of Paris. Needless to say Parable's heart melted and came dribbling out his pores.

"Little ones, my voice needs a rest. Give me a little while to do just that and I promise there will be more to the story. After all, Twilight and Red Wyne being stuck in bed is not a good place to end a story entirely, now is it little ones?" he replied, finaly getting that drink of water he needed.

Dark Parable smiled warmly at the assembled crowd and sighed softly, sweeping his wide brimmed hat off his head and reaching into it. In an odd twist his forelimb sank in right up to his shoulder as he fished about inside it. The same little filly watched with wide eyes, wondering just how it was that a normal looking feathered hat could be so deep. Her expression went from puzzled to open wonder as Parable came up with a small crystal ball and plopped the hat back atop his head.

"Now then, as I'd like to not speak for a few moments, I'd like to entertain you in a different manner." Standing on his hind legs he began to toy with that orb, rolling it over his hoof in ever widening circles before he sent it rolling down his forelimb, across his chest, and down his other limb, letting it come to rest on his other hoof. He slowly added in more and more complex movements, each one seemingly more impossible than the last without the aid of magic. Being a pegasus, he of course had none.

Dark Parable smiled warmly out at his audience, watching their reactions with the pride of a long time entertainer. He cut a striking figure, bone white coat, black mane, crimson eyes, and his cutie mark all combined to make him stand out in a crowd. The cutie mark especially, for it was unique in a way that most marks fell short of matching. His mark was a black book flanked by two lit candles of black in golden holders. The book's cover was adorned with a grinning pony skull. Not the most friendly looking of cutie marks, but it went well with what he did.

Parable was a story teller, he traveled from place to place, spreading stories and feats of stage magic that left his audiences clamoring for more. He mostly specialized in the dark and horrific, hence the cutie mark. Still, he prided himself on being able to pander to any crowd, and in this case he felt that the tale he was telling suited a bunch of younger ponies just fine.

"Well then little ones, I'l continue on the morrow, so please show no sorrow. The story will continue, or by my bone and sinew, you can run me right from town. So come now little ones, do not frown, do not look so down, my word is my bond and to it I will stick." With those words he flicked his little ball skyward and winked at the filly as it came down, not as a ball but a small bag of bits. He passed it to her and sent them running off.

"Ahem... Now then all those who've been listening to this story, or rather reading it there on your computer screens the same goes for you. There shall be another chapter tomorrow. For now however, enjoy this little look into what I do for fun." He looked directly at the reader for this, winked, and flared his wings before he vanished in a burst of black feather coupled with the harsh caw of a raven.

Author's Note:

Hope you all enjoy this, its mostly meant as a joke and to allow me to give an announcement in a (hopefully) unique way. I will have a new chapter up tomorrow night. For now I return to spending time relaxing before a long car trip.

PreviousChapters Next