• Published 26th May 2013
  • 9,597 Views, 313 Comments

Ignis Draco Nocturna - Sketch D Tail



History states that Princess Celestia banished Nightmare Moon away to the moon with the Elements of Harmony, that's true. But there was one other being present at the time who aided Celestia. A being who's magic can only be used by him and

  • ...
27
 313
 9,597

Chapter IV - Truth

Chapter 4: Truth

The Everfree Forest.

The most dangerous place in all of Equestria, estimated to be hundreds of acres long and the site of the war of the Sun and Moon. One thousand and two years have passed since that day Nightmare Moon was sealed away into the heavenly body. In those thousand years, the forest has become extremely dense, so dense in fact that Celestia's sun barely manages to get a few streaks of light in there even at high morning. The animals are extremely dangerous to run in to: timberwolves, manticores, cockatrices, even housing a few dragons. The weather changes on its own, no pegasi required and many toxic plants have been grown throughout the forest, no, jungle is more like it. It is without a doubt an area to avoid at all costs unless either you're brain dead, incredibly naive or you have a death wish. The middle option is most the most likely for three young fillies who have walked into said forest.

On their own.

"Are y'all sure that we should be here Scoots?" Asked a southern accented yellow earth pony filly with a blood-red mane wearing a matching red bow and amber eyes, earning an annoyed stare from her companion. Her friend, a pegasus, also a filly with a dark purple mane and tail, a brownish-orange coat and light violet irises.

"Of course we should be here Apple Bloom! The Everfree forest is the perfect place for us three to find our cutiemarks. Right Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo said irritated at her scared friend, looking for support from their last attendee. A unicorn filly with a white coat, a purple mane and tail with rose pink streaks and green eyes.

"I don't know Scootaloo, I agree with Apple Bloom on this one. I mean, didn't we learn the last time we were here from that there cockatrice accident?" She replied worriedly, taking Apple Bloom's side for danger.

"Oh come on, are you serious?! Do you really not want to get your cutiemarks and instead get bullied by Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon for the rest of your lives?" Argued Scootaloo, looking very angry at her two friends.

"Well, Ah guess you have a point Scoots but Ah have just one tiny question: Where in the hay are we?" Looking around themselves, they found themselves in an unknown part of the forest, even in this dangerous area there are parts of it that have been explored, but not this one. They were utterly, and truely lost, and when you are in the deadliest forest known to ponykind, you're screwed.

Arguing amongst each other, namely blaming Scootaloo who was the self-appointed leader, the three fillies decided to go to the closest place they know that would be safe; the zebra, Zecora's hut. They didn't make it to the hut though for two reasons:
1. They went in the exact opposite direction to the hut and
2. Even if they did go the right direction, lingering in the shadows were their predators and even physical form of their nightmares, Timberwolves.
Timberwolves that were currently surrounding the Cutiemark Crusaders. The numbers between them vastly outmatched the three children, by about 10:1. Terrified for their lives, the CMC try to run away screaming from the savage canines only to fail because they were flanked from all sides.

"Well y'all, it's been great knowin' ya." Said Applebloom as the timberwolves came closer towards them.

"Same here." Said the other two.

Preparing for their imminent deaths, the three young fillies cuddled close together hoping it would be swift. But what do you say to the god of death when you still have a full life ahead of you?

Not today.

A melody began to ring throughout the forest, stopping all actions. Even the timberwolves stopped to hear what was going on. Chatting amongst themselves, the little fillies began to wonder who or what was creating the sound and where it was coming from. Their answer came from the shadows once more, a large being wearing a large, black cloak with a hood that covered all of its appearance aside from it's outer figure and a scale-white scarf while holding a flute was walking towards them, showing no hesitation in its steps.

The timberwolves, upon seeing the newcomer, attacked on sight believing it was a predator about to take their kill. Two wolves went after it first, but the being kept on playing its flute simply kicking the oncoming wolves away from it and back to their pack with no trouble whatsoever. Ten wolves were sent next, once more being kicked metres away from the strange being but the timberwolves showed no signs of stopping the onslaught. All of the remaining wolves plus the ones that had recovered enough were preparing to attack for the kill.

But still the being played its music.

All at once did the timberwolves attack. Going for all possible areas, vital and non-vital, they collided with their target. Or so they thought when they realised they only collided with each other. The cloaked figure jumped at the last second to avoid the fangs of solid wood, suspended in mid-air, you could swear the being was smiling. But the flute still played and the figure's legs were swayed, colliding with every branch limb of the wolves. From an outside perspective, like the Cutiemark Crusaders for example, the cloaked figure looked like it was dancing instead of fighting.

In a mere matter of minutes, it was over. Timberwolves lay everywhere, broken, battered and bruised, glowing green sap of what could be their blood sprayed all over the trees and ground. Ending up in front of the three fillies with its back turned, was their mysterious saviour who had finished playing its song. 30 timberwolves were put down in a three minute melody, only one word came to the figure's mind and out its mouth.

"Swag." It said. The figure then turned around to the three children he just saved. "Are you three okay? Nothing hurt?" He asked, worry in his voice.

"Ye-yeah, we're fine. And it's all thanks to ya mister!" Said Apple Bloom with relief filling her voice.

"That. Was. AWESOME!! You were all like 'Pow!', 'Whack!' and that was only with your legs! Still not as awesome as Rainbow Dash though." Said a rather overexcited Scootaloo who just five seconds ago was about to be killed, earning blank stares from everyone and everypony around her.

"Excuse me for saying this little one but what part of you being in the Everfree alone and nearly getting mauled to death by a pack of timberwolves awesome? Does this Rainbow Dash teach you to go waltzing into the most dangerous forest to ponykind?" He said with a tone that could kill, directing it at the tomboy. In response, the little girl just hung her head in shame and looked to the floor feeling very upset.

"Look, what happens if you come here again and someone or somepony else isn't here to protect you? Next time you may not be so lucky. You have to understand the consequences of your actions. One wrong move and it can cost you your lives, much like myself." He said, ending his words in a whisper. "Let's get you girls home okay? The nearest town isn't very far from here. Just stay close to me and I'll keep you safe alright?"

The three fillies nodded, not wanting something like that to happen once more. The trip was pretty much completely safe except for one manticore that thought they were trespassing. Didn't take much for the cloaked figure to beat it though, after avoiding its scorpion tail, three punches to the abdominal region and a knee to the face was all that was needed to knock out the wild beast.

The little girls couldn't stop themselves from bombarding him with questions, who he was, how was he so strong, where was he from, etc. He only answered one question though, he gave his name, or what the fillies thought was his name: 'Salamander'. The trio were so awestruck thinking how cool and awesome his name fit with his awesome strength. Eventually, they all made it out of the Everfree and made their way into town of Ponyville. But before entering said town, Salamander asked the three young ones to not interfere with what might happen, confusing the children.

The outcome for Salamander was to be expected as they entered the settlement, stares. Stares of worry, stares of fear, stares of anger, you name it. Natsu even received a stare of bewilderment and happiness from a certain aquamarine mare. The fillies behind him were a bit worried by the town's reaction towards him but he simply said to them without looking that it was fine, that he was used to this. To add insult to injury, literally, Salamander was delivered a speeding kick to the side of his head from a cyan and rainbow coloured blur. His body was sent flying for a few metres, falling face-first into the ground.

"Take that ya freak! You won't be terrorising my home anytime soon with the great Rainbow Dash around. So you better stay down if you know-" said the rainbow-maned pegasus with triumph in her voice but was to be disappointed when she saw the monster she had just kicked, with her full strength, stand back up with very little trouble. In response, Salamander simply cracked his neck and turned to face his attacker.

"Listen, I'm not here to cause trouble." He said with a small frown that could be seen under the hood he was wearing. Rainbow Dash for her part was both amazed and furious as to how the intruder (in her mind anyway) could just stand up after her strongest kick and come back like it was nothing. Afraid that he could attack her friends and family, Rainbow set off like a bullet to face her enemy, exchanging blow after blow. This was another thing Rainbow Dash was amazed by, he could keep track of all her moves and block them accordingly, he was as fast as her when it came to fighting.

"Your Rainbow Dash right? Please listen to me, I don't want to hurt you." Pleaded Salamander.

"Yeah right! Who'd want to listen to you, you monster. Why were you holding Scoots and the others captive if you don't want to cause trouble huh?!" Said the mare, continuing to throw her hooves at her enemy.

"I wasn't holding them captive, I was bringing them home! Just stop so we can talk, please!"

"No way! Who'd believe you? 'Cause I sure as hay don't." Dash said with her trademark arrogance.

"Will you just STOP!!" Yelled Salamander. Having had enough with this meaningless fight, he grabbed Rainbow Dash's hindhoof and slammed her into the ground, but he wasn't finished.

A fist tightly clenched came plummeting down a full-on smashed the ground underneath the rainbow mare right next to her muzzle, creating a grade 4 earthquake on the ricther scale and a crater metres wide. The whole town shook, surrounding houses trembled immensely, threatening to crumble. Some even started screaming overdramatically by saying stuff like 'we're under attack!' and 'the horror! the horror!'.Everypony was scared that it might get worse, not wanting that to happen, they began hoping it would be over soon. To which, thankfully for them, it did.

Rainbow Dash just now figured what she was dealing with; a being capable of sending a an earthquake through her whole town with just one punch. She thought it was impossible, nopony could ever do that, a dragon maybe, but this guy was no dragon. He had no scales or large muscles. So how is it possible?

"Now.." he stated "Do I have your undivided attention? I just want to talk." A meek nod with scared eyes was his response.

"Good. Now, those three fillies were all alone in the Everfree and were about to be killed by a large pack of timberwolves. I saved them, I never wanted to bring them harm. All I was doing was bringing them home to their families, that is, until you started to fight me without any proper reason at all. I'm sorry I gave you the impression I was holding them hostage but know that I'd never do that, holding hostages is a coward's move and I'm no coward." Salamander explained standing upright. As he stood back up, Rainbow Dash saw that his hand was bleeding from the knuckles, the skin was torn and the flesh exposed, and yet he didn't even look like he felt the pain.

"Rainbow!!" Yelled a feminine voice from behind, closing in rapidly.

Looking behind, or in front in Dash's case, the two combatants saw five mares running towards them: a lavender unicorn adorning a dark purple tail and mane with a pink streak running through her mane, violet eyes and six, six pointed stars as a cutiemark. An alabaster unicorn with a very stylish violet mane and tail along with sea-blue eyes and a three diamond pattern cutiemark. A Stetson wearing orange earth pony with emerald green eyes, blonde mane and tail with three apples on her flanks. A creamy yellow pegasus with a long pink mane and tail, jade eyes and three butterflies as her cutiemark and finally an unusually bubbly pink earth pony with a slightly darker mane and tail, dark blue eyes and three balloons on her flanks.

There was something strange about these five and Rainbow Dash that Salamander could feel, something resonating between them. The next thing he noticed, the other Pegasus was tending to Rainbow Dash behind him and the four other mares were staring daggers at him, surrounding him from all angles.

"Who are you? What are you? Was it you who caused that tremor? Why're you holding those fillies captive? And why are you attacking my friend? Answer them all now." Said the lavender mare, not showing any signs of hesitation in her words. She was serious and there's nothing worse than an angry mare. Salamander just let out a tired sigh to see this entire fiasco with Rainbow Dash only to repeat.

To prove he was no threat, he removed his cloak to show his full body figure: his clothes comprised of a single sleeved black shirt with gold linings in the centre with a popped colar covered by a long, checkered white scarf with his right arm exposed, showing the red mark on his shoulder and a black wristband, white leggings with a black waistcape and gold linings around the edge, brown belt with a silver buckle and black sandals. Appearance-wise, he was just a boy, from the look of it, not much younger or older than the mares in front of him but stood as tall, if not taller than Celestia. He had a spikey pink mane that only covered the top of his head, onyx black eyes and a fair skin colour.

"I'm Salamander. Yes, it was I who caused that small earthquake, as you can see" showing his injured hand as evidence, letting the blood trail down his fingers and drip onto the ground. "I'm not holding the kids captive, I'm simply bringing them home from their adventure in the Everfree forest and it was your friend who attacked me first, I just got her to stop by creating that earthquake. Admittedly, that was overboard and I'm sorry for that." He explained in full but brief detail of what had happened today keeping a lazy, tired look in his eyes.

"S-Sa-Salamander?" Said the lavender mare shakily, who's eyes had shrunken to the size of pinpricks. The others around her took notice of her still form and fearful face, Natsu also seeing this thought to himself, she knows.

"Twahlight? You okay sugarcube?" Asked the orange earth pony with a strong southern accent in her voice. The following actions surprised everypony around the one named Twilight. Large amounts of magical energy circled around her horn and she opened fire on the human, sending him flying into a nearby hill right at it's base, causing the whole landscape to topple over him as he collided with it.

"Darling! What did you do that for?!" Screamed the other unicorn with a classy, refined tone of voice dominated by shock.

"I did it because he deserves it, I know who he truly is." Explained Twilight, looking upon the ruined mess of a hill and the man in question coming out from under the rubble that once covered him. "He is Salamander, and he is the reason for everything that's happened. He is the reason why Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon and the reason why five hundred and sixty-seven pony lives were lost in the Great War one thousand years ago!"

The fillies and mares present were absolutely terrified, more so than they already were.

"But that's impossible! If he's evil then why'd he save me, Scoots and Sweetie from those timberwolves? He's a good guy!" Protested Applebloom, thinking that Twilight was lying she ran over towards the human with watering eyes. "Right mister Salamander? Y'all a good guy aren't ya?" She asked pleadingly, hoping that the answer she wanted was the right one.

"I'm sorry. I really am, but what she says is true. It's because of me that all those good men and women died and why Luna became that monster. It's all my fault." He said sadly, the pain and sadness in his eyes were evident.

Groggily standing back up, Salamander began to walk towards the enraged mare named Twilight. She became even more scared as he saw him coming in her direction, acting on emotions, she fired magic beams from her horn relentlessly. About fifty percent of her shots hit him but when they did, they caused heavy damage: second degree burns, some caused lacerations and deep cuts.

"Stay back! No, don't come any closer!" She screamed begingly, but he continued to trek towards her. "I mean it! Stay away!" She screamed once more, but it wasn't heeded, for Salamander stood right in front of her and her friends right there and then. Tired, exhausted and in pain, Salamander fell to his knees, breathing raggedly and deeply. Confusing the six mares and drakeling, he simply spoke softly.

"I'm sorry....to all of you. Those ponies were my friends, I shared laughs, drinks, fun times with them and most of all we were happy to be soldiers of Equestria. It was my duty to protect them and my mistress, but I failed. I...never.....wanted....this." He said, ending his words by succumbing to the bliss of unconsciousness.

"Twah. What do we now?" Asked the orange mare.

"I know just what we'll do Applejack. Spike." She called to the young dragon. "Take a letter, tell Princess Celestia that we have her enemy. We have Salamander." She said looking down at the probe body in disgust.

"There's no need for that my little ponies." Spoke a regal voice from behind the six mares.

"P-P-Princess Celestia!" Said Twilight, fumbling her words as to why the princess herself would bother coming to the village. Quickly realising the situation, Twilight, her friends and everypony present bowed to their ruler. "What are you doing here your majesty?" She asked.

"I came to see him my faithful student. I sensed the earthquake from the castle and earthquakes don't occurr in Ponyville, not naturally anyway. The only option was Salamander since his physical power incredibly surpasses my own." Celestia explained to her young protege, all the while walking towards Salamander's still body. As if by coincidence, Salamander turned his head to look up at the solar princess just as she reached him.

"Heh, is there ever gonna be a day where we meet and I don't look like shit?" He said with a soft smile to the princess.

"Considering it's you Natsu, no. Here, let me give you a hoof with that." She said smiling back. Igniting her horn in a golden glow, Celestia casted a spell on Natsu's body, encasing it completely in the same glow. Slowly, the spell began to take effect, by closing all the cuts and regressing the burns on the man's body. It was a healing spell.

"Princess! With all due respect, why are you helping him?! He's the reason your sister became Nightmare Moon as well as the reason all those soldiers under yours and her command died!!" Yelled Twilight, demanding an explanation why her teacher was healing the monster who had caused so much pain in the world right before their eyes.

"That's enough Twilight. The reason I am helping him is because we are nakama, we are family." Said Celestia showing on her neck a black version of the exact same mark Salamander bore. What was more frightening was the fact she spoke with the one thing in her voice that Twilight had never ever heard since day one of her studies with the princess. Anger. "If you want to blame somepony, blame me! Blame me for fuelling my sister's jealousy and anger! Blame me for not letting Salamander have a chance in our world to prove himself! Blame me for not stopping my little ponies from spreading slander and lies about my sister and him! Blame me for being the worst sister and princess in Eque-" Celestia yelled at her student until something met her muzzle before finishing her last sentence. Something that sent her flying into the ground a number of meters away from everypony.

Natsu's fist.

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!!!" He yelled with fury. Walking over towards Celestia, Natsu picked her off of the ground by the tuft of her neck and lifted her above the ground. "Luna always believed that you were the greatest sister and ruler of Equestria all the way until the very end. You were her inspiration, her best friend, her nakama, her family! All she ever wanted was to be like you! Don't you dare insult her memory by saying shit like that!!!" He hollered at the princess of the sun, who just looked at him in disbelief as did all the ponies around the two immortals.

Nopony could believe what had just happened, he just physically assaulted the princess of Equestria and was scolding her like a filly who stole the last cookie from the cookie jar (albeit more crudely). Celestia, regaining her composure asked Natsu to let go of her, to which he complied and apologised for. After all the commotion in just one day, Celestia decided that it was best for some relaxation and fun. This caused the pink mare with a bubbly mane to smile with pure glee, said smile was actually threatening to fall off of her face by how wide it was.

"So mister Salamander isn't a bad guy?" She asked.

"That is correct Miss Pie." Celestia replied to the happy mare.

"Do do you know what this calls for? A PARTY!!!" She yelled happily. Looking around himself, Natsu was suddenly in a building filled with streamers, party poppers, an assortment of food, beverages, music and many, many sweets. He also somehow had a drink in his hand without even realising. One second he was outside, the next he was inside and in a party, only one thing came to mind.

"What the hell just happened?!" He yelled confused to nobody in particular, thus earning a small laugh from Celestia who was right beside him.

"Forgive me Natsu, let me explain: that pink pony you just met is named Pinkie Pie, she's Ponyville's number one party pony. She also has this strange ability to..." She began but was intervened by her human friend.

"To take physics, bend it over and fuck it up the ass?" Natsu finished keeping the same confused look on his face. Only Celestia laughed at that comment, everypony who had heard gasped in horror at how foul-mouthed this Salamader was. Every adult covered a child's ears to prevent them from hearing any more. "Oh bugger, sorry about that folks. I tend to be a bit crude with my words when something strange like this happens."

"Hang on one cotton picking minute here. You told us your name was Salamander, so why is the princess calling you 'Natsu'?" Asked and inquisitive Apple Bloom. At this point even her friends and Twilight were curious as to why the Princess was calling him by a different name.

"Let me answer your question with another question little one: since when did I specifically say my name was Salamander?" He asked in return with a sly grin. "That's right, I never did. 'Salamander' is just a nickname and title, my actual name is Natsu Dragneel. Nice to meet ya."

After explaining himself, Natsu was met with a collective 'oh' from the ponies around him. Feeling he was getting peckish, Natsu went over to a table on the other end of the room to grab something to eat. He wasn't disappointed to say the least, for he was met with plenty of options to eat. So he, being a bloke, grabbed plenty of everything and began to scarf down it all as fast he could.

"Ugh, how uncivilised, and I thought he was bad enough from his crime and foul manners." Said the classy alabaster mare with unease.

"Well to be fair Miss Rarity, he's a wizard of Fairy Tail and they aren't known for their manners, especially him." Defended Celestia. Twilight just then, apparently to her friends, went into what they call 'Egghead Mode'. A mode where nothing interests her more than wanting to know the unknown, and the key word that caused this, was the word 'wizard'.

"Wizard? He's a wizard like Star Swirl the bearded, the most legendary unicorn to ever live?!" She asked inquisitively and crazily.

"Yes Twilight, Natsu is a wizard and one of the strongest there is on his world. Mainly due to the fact very few people on his world use the same magic he does."

"What kind of magic does he use that is so powerful only a few can use?" Twilight asked, curious now more than ever. Never in her life had she heard of a kind of magic only so few can use, even if it was magic from another world.

"In Neighpon, it is called 'Metsuryū Mahō'. But in Enquish, it is called something fierce, powerful and threatening." She explained.

"A-and what is it called your highness?" Asked the yellow mare rather shyly, even more so by the way she was hiding behind her friend with the Stetson. Fearing the worst if it was spoken out loud, Celestia brought the six mares in close so that only they would hear what she was about to say next.

"None of you may like it, but it's called Dragon Slayer magic." She whispered, although it couldn't be said the same for Twilight and her friends.

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT?!?!?!? He's a dragon slayer?!" They all yelled in unison, with the exception of the yellow mare who simply hid behind her mane, refusing to make eye contact with the human and the drake who simply ran away to hide somewhere. Celestia and Natsu both had their hands and hooves over their ears to prevent themselves from going deaf.

"Yes Twilight, his magic is the one used to kill dragons." Celestia stated trying to get the ringing out of her ears by knocking her head with a hoof.

"Then why is he allowed to just roam around free like this when he's a killer?"

"Woah there missy, you've misunderstood. My magic may be the kind that kills dragons but I've never killed a dragon before, nor have I killed in general. I also, will never kill a dragon because my father, the one who taught me my magic is a dragon too. So your little friend hiding under the table over there is safe."

"Huh?" She blankly said tilting her head to the side. "Now I'm hearing things, you didn't just say that your father is a dragon did you?" Twilight asked.

"No you heard right. Igneel, my father, is a dragon."

"And how do we know you're not lying, huh?" Rainbow Dash said accusingly, flying right up into Natsu's face with a deathly glare.

"He never lies about his family Miss Dash."

"Yeah? Well he's probably deceiving you like he did to princess Luna when he turned her into Nightmare Moon."

"HOW DARE YOU!!" Celestia furiously roared, scaring and attracting attention from everypony in the building. "Natsu is the most trustworthy, most loyal and most kind being in the world, don't you dare accuse him of-" she said with a rising tone that bordered on the Royal Canterlot Voice, and at the recieving end was Rainbow Dash, who was shaking like a leaf in the presence of a cyclone. Until she was saved by the one human in the room who stood in between Celestia and her. His face wasn't angry nor was it sad, it showed disappointment.

"That's enough Celestia, they don't know the truth about you, Luna and I, and I'm fine with that. Remember what I said to you one time many many years ago? 'What is begun in anger only ends in shame'. This is the second time you've let your anger take control of yourself today and scared all those around you. You're the princess, act like it. These sins are mine to bare and bare alone." He stated calmly but filled with command.

"The truth? What truth?" Applejack asked with concern. Realising he had let that little detail slip, Natsu mentally slapped himself in the face. Well, so much for that secret. He thought.

"I won't go into detail but I will tell you a few things. First off; what does history say about me?"

"That you infiltrated the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, gained the princess' trust and after six years of being with them, your plan of destroying the world came into fruition by turning Princess Luna into Nightmare Moon."

"Destroy the world? Do I really look like a comic book villain to you Celly? Couldn't you have come up with something better?" He said looking a bit miffed at the story he was given, looking towards the princess all he was given was a shrug.

"Where are you going with this?"

"One thousand years ago, due to certain circumstances, I arrived on this planet but not without complications. I never infiltrated the castle, I was sick and injured on that day, it was your princess who brought me in and nursed me back to health."

"Wow, you truly are kind aren't you Princess Celestia?" Twilight said, nuzzling her teacher's neck.

"What are you going on about Miss Twilight?" Asked Natsu.

"Well of course I'm talking about how princess Celestia brought you back to health despite how you repayed her."

"You're wrong. It was Luna who brought me back to health and healed me. Celestia was completely against the idea of bringing in an other-wolrdly creature like me, especially because of how much power I have."

"How much power you have? What does that mean?" Twilight pondered

"Anyway, I'm sure history says that I was cold to everyone and everything too. That is also false, it was everypony in this world that was cold to me. My only friend was the princess. That was my true relation to Luna; she was my saviour, my nakama, my family." A sad smile formed on his face but his eyes showed the meaning of true despair and the smile disappeared. "And now I have nothing left. Nothing at all." He said with absolutely no emotion in his voice, like it was dead. Like he was dead.

"I need some air." He said before walking out the door and into the cold night air. The six mares, three fillies and young drake tried to stop him but the princess stopped them by holding them back with a force-field. A quick nod was given to her as Natsu left, as if saying 'thank you'.

"Princess why won't you stop him? Why can't we stop him?" She said pleadingly

"Please understand Twilight, pain cannot be erased that easily and he knows all too well what true pain is like." She said sadly. "Natsu has literally lost everything. His entire family, his guild, his father, and the one who saved his life. Everything. I consider him a friend but there are things even I cannot do. I cannot erase what I have done to him all those years ago. Just leave him alone."

"I'm sorry princess but I can't obey that request, even if it's from you. He's in trouble and is need of a friend." Twilight said, refusing to heed her mentor's words for the first time in her life. Needless to say, everypony present was absolutely shocked, especially Twilight's five friends. After the shock and gaining the attention of her friends, she asked the fillies and drake to stay behind just in case.

Attagirl Twilight, one must do what's right even if it's against an order from your superior. If you do anything I say without question, you'd be nothing more than a puppet. Your destiny is at hand, but whether you choose to finish it is up to you.

------Outside------

"We've searched the whole town, where is he?" Twilight asked at her friends, desperately trying to find the despaired human.

"Ah dunno Twah, he's gone as fast as cider season." Said Applejack exhausted from searching all over town, including the farm her family owns, Sweet Apple Acres. Suddenly their pink friend began doing random actions that seemed against her will. This could only mean one thing, the Pinkie Sense has been activated, something is going to happen.

"Ooh! Ooh! Twitchy knee, itchy back and flappy ears! He's at Lake Equine!" Pinkie exclaimed. Twilight had been living in Ponyville for a year and thus known Pinkie Pie for a year as well. And yet, she, nor anypony else, could understand one thing about her actions. She was just....random.

"Uhh..........you know what? I won't even bother. Girls, let's go to the lake." She said and the others following suit.

------

In a few minutes they had reached the lake that resided on the outskirts of Ponyville. Upon entering its area, they had found their target, Natsu was sitting down at the lake's edge and was looking up at the moon that stood high in the night sky. The thing none of them expected was the human to begin singing, or the beautiful voice that accompanied with it.

Underneath the cold November sky
I’ll wait for you
As the pages of my life roll by
I’ll wait for you
I’m so desperate just to see your face
Meet me in this broken place

Hold me now
I need to feel you
Show me how
to make it new again
There’s no one I can run to
And nothing I could ever do
I’m nowhere if I’m here
Without you

Even if you take it all away
I’ll wait for you
Even when the light begins to fade
I’ll wait for you
I’m so desperate calling out your name
Meet me in this broken place

Hold me now
I need to feel you
Show me how
to make it new again
There’s no one I can run to
And nothing I could ever do
I’m nowhere if I’m here
Without you

I’m tired of running
and wrestling with these angels
I lay down
my life and I surrender

Hold me now
I need to feel you
Show me how
to make it new again
There’s no one I can run to
And nothing I could ever do
I’m nowhere if I’m here
Without you

As he sang, Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow and Rarity could all feel the very emotion that could not be ignored: sadness. Tears welled up in all their eyes, some more than others, specifically Rarity and Fluttershy who were silently crying their eyes out until no tears could be shed. But it was from these tears that Natsu could smell and tell someone was with him.

"What are you six doing here?" He asked without so much as turning his head, scaring the group behind him.

"How'd you know we were here?"

"Dragon Slayer magic enhances the senses, I could smell the salt of your tears. Oh, and the classy chick's perfume, she's using so much my nose hurts." He explained, grinning slightly at Rarity's flustered face. "You still haven't answered my question, why are you here?" He asked once more.

"Well, we were worried about you, so we came to see if you needed cheering up."

"Don't even bother. There's no room for sympathy for a monster like me in this world." He said raising his hands so that the six mares could see him clench said hands into fists.

"These hands have sinned far too much for this world to handle. So don't bother getting all friendly with me, what I did that night is inexcusable. I don't deserve to live, I should've been dead after the Grand Magic Games. None of this would've happened if I didn't exist. Right, Celestia?" He yelled at a random tree to the left of him. Stepping from behind it was the regal alicorn herself.

"Sharp as ever and yes, you're right Natsu. None of this would've happened if you hadn't come here."

"See? Even your princess agrees with me."

"I wasn't finished. None of this would've happened: I wouldn't know what the value of life was, I wouldn't have met Twilight, she wouldn't have met her friends, they wouldn't become the new holders of the Elements of Harmony and they wouldn't have saved my sister from darkness." She said with a big smile.

"What...did you say?"

"You heard me, Luna is free Natsu. She's back."

He couldn't believe it. The mare who had saved his life, given him a home, a reason to live, his best friend, was back. To say that he was happy was the understatement of the millennium. He was positively overjoyed to the point where his eyes began to water and roll down his cheeks, like little streams comprised from the joy in his heart.

"Are you crying Natsu?" Teased Celestia at her old friend.

"I'm not crying! I'm not!" He protested but failed to convince his spectators. "Oh fuck it, who am I kidding? Yes I'm crying! Is there something wrong with that: crying after hearing my best friend is back?"

"Absolutely not." She replied, bringing Natsu into a winged embrace with tears marking her own eyes. Together they just let their light sobs just flow out, for it was the happiest moment in all their lives, when everypony and everyone was reunited. But this did not stop the questions Natsu had flowing through his mind.

"How long has she been back? Where is she? Is she alright? Why didn't you tell me sooner?" He asked, bombarding the solar princess. While they were legit and honest questions, they did not sit well with the ruler of Equestria when asked all at the same time.

"Natsu, first off, calm down." She said with a slightly annoyed expression. "Secondly, I can't really tell you when you're missing dummy!" Nervously did Natsu smile at Celestia while rubbing his neck, muttering a small 'sorry about that'.

"Anyway, she's been free for close to a year now and she's been more alive than ever. The only problem is: is that she's now more reserved around ponies, she doesn't know if she can trust them."

"Well it's understandable after what those bastards did to her a thousand years ago. So where is she now?" He said with spite in his voice.

"I do not know Natsu, for all I know she could be in Saddle Arabia right now. There're two reasons why I don't know: the first being that she's been away for a thousand years, she's missed a lot of things. Secondly, she's looking for you. She wants to find you really badly."

"Then I'll stay here, I'll wait for her as long as it takes. Just don't tell her I'm here, please?" He asked with resolve, earning a nod from his old friend who understood the reason behind his words when others didn't. There's one last thing to solve though, he turned around and faced the six mares, the Element bearers. "You six..I cannot express my gratitude high enough for this. You saved my nakama when I couldn't. Thank you. Thank you so much." Said Natsu as he got down on his knees and bowed his head. Celestia was both amazed and shocked at the scene before her and couldn't help but giggle a bit.

"You are definitely amazing my little ponies. You got Natsu to bow for you." She said when she regained her composure. Her student and subjects just blankly stared at her until Twilight spoke up for the group.

"Why do you make it sound like it's impossible Princess?" She asked.

"Because my student, it is. Ever since I met Natsu, he's only ever bowed once and that was for my sister." She explained. The mares were absolutely shocked looking at the man who now, stood tall with biggest grin on his face. To only ever bow once in front of a princess was unheard of, it was madness.

"Yeah well, it's like you said Celly: us Fairy Tail wizards aren't known for our manners. Come on, we have a party that needs attending to." He said as he began walking off
towards the location of the party.

As they all walked back together, Twilight asked some questions about his homeland. Natsu answered them as best he could, which was satisfactory to Twilight. Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash had a question that nopony wanted or expected to hear from her mouth.

"How about we have a fight?" She asked. It was too much for Celestia and Natsu, they had tried to not laugh at her request but failed on epic proportions, they were laughing their guts out. She asked what was so funny but the two just kept laughing, they were even rolling on the floor holding their sides. Rainbow was completely embarrassed, her light blue muzzle had turned to a beet-red. She asked what was so funny again, only more furiously, but this time the laughing had died out and had been replaced with heavy breathing after so much torture on the lungs.

"You, want to challenge Natsu to a fight? Forgive me Miss Dash but give it up, you have no chance of beating Natsu in a fight." Celestia said gasping for air, still holding her sides.

"What? Why?!" Rainbow screamed.

"It's alright, I accept. Let's teach you a lesson Miss Dash, a lesson that should've been learnt after our last skirmish."

Last skirmish? Oh boy, she's dead. Celestia mused, a pained but happy expression embedded on her muzzle.

"Don't hold back okay? Ready? GO!!" She screamed and like that she flew towards him with the speed of a rifle bullet. Rainbow Dash began to fly in circles, creating a small cyclone around Natsu who simply just stood there with a look of complete disinterest. "What? Too scared to move? Are you that impressed by my awesome moves?" Rainbow taunted, her voice coming from everywhere at once. Her opponent just said and did nothing except close his eyes to focus.

Sight's gone, she's too fast when she's flying, I can't read her moves. Okay, smell and hearing. I can only rely on those in this situation. Focus Natsu, hear her wingbeats, her breathing, her heartbeat... He thought, clenching a fist shut tight, waiting for his opportunity. Time seemed to slow down for the Dragon Slayer, everything had become clearer to him. There! he thought finally. Launching his fist foward, it came into contact with nothing at first, but was instantly met with the flesh of Rainbow's head. The sheer force of punch sent the cyan mare rocketing at the same speed as before.....but also involving crashing into a tree and breaking said tree in half.

Ow.

-----3 minutes earlier, outside the arena-----

The spectators, just waited eagerly to see the end results of the fight. Everypony knew that even though it was a friendly fight, it didn't mean that Rainbow wouldn't go all out. Everypony was dead silent and the tension was incredible, so much so it was almost unbearable.

"What's going on Princess? Nothing's happening." Rarity said, clearly agitated from her tone of voice.

"It's simple Rarity, Natsu's waiting for his time to strike." She calmly stated back to the young mare.

"To strike? Nuttin' can hit RD when she's that fast, not even you princess. Uhh, no offence and all." Said Applejack, instantly regretting her choice of words.

"None taken Applejack. Let just ask you five a question: how long was this fight Natsu and Miss Dash had before I arrived?"

"About five minutes by the time we got to them in the center of town." Twilight answered.

"Then Rainbow Dash will never win against Natsu."

"Why do you say that? She has a chance, there's always a chance." Fluttershy spoke for the first time that day.

"Let me just tell you this then: back then, during the war, one would assume Natsu was placed on the frontlines due to his strength but that is wrong. Natsu wasn't a combatant in the war, he was the tactician. He does love a challenge, he loves to fight, get stronger and while he is a complete idiot, if you put him in a fight, his mind is a steel trap. Five minutes is all he needs to find out everything about his opponent. From their battle stance to their very breathing." She explained with proudness and a hint of fear, thus is true respect; to fear and admire one who is stronger than yourself at the same time.

All the younger females were shocked to the core, they couldn't believe that such a being could exist. How could somepony, or in this case someone be so strong that they can read their opponent like a foal's book after only a number of minutes?

It was at that moment that a sickening crack could be heard throughout the area. The crack itself, its origins belonged to a tree toppling over backwards from a certain blue pegasus crashing into it. The princess and everypony else, Natsu included, instantly ran over to their friend and aid her in any way possible. She was barely holding onto consciousness when they got to her unfortunately.

"Aww shit I did it again." Natsu said as he came upon Rainbow's lying body. For five minutes Twilight and her friends verbally attacked Natsu with questions like: 'Why'd you do that to her?' and 'How could you do that so mercilessly?'. Having had enough of the bickering, Celestia asked (more like ordered) them to drop the subject and focus on help Rainbow Dash who was only starting to feel better, despite having a black eye. Getting her back on her feet, sorry hooves, Twilight and Celestia casted a healing spell on Rainbow. All in all, a mild concussion, a black eye and four bruised vertebrae were healed completely in one minute.

"Now, in my defence, she did say not to hold back when the fight started." He said nervously, enticing a couple of glares towards him and his pegasus opponent who was also quite nervous around her companions. "So, shall we continue to the party? We kinda got sidetracked there." Natsu said taking point, leading the group back to the town. Thankfully, when they got back, the party was still underway with soft 'booms' escaping the walls. It was as if nopony even noticed six mares, a princess and a human leave the building, that or they didn't want to waste a good party that was already set up.

"Before you go in, Natsu, there's something I want to talk to you about in private. Do you think you could come to Canterlot tomorrow?"

"Yeah sure. Are we talking like lunch?"

"Yes that would be perfect. Now I'm sorry my little ponies but I have to bid farewell to you all for tonight." She said elegantly as she apologised. Looking to a far by clock tower, Teilight read the clock as quarter to ten.

"Well, it is getting quite late. Goodnight princess, I hope you have a safe trip back."

"Goodnight my faithful student. Also, I am sorry for how I behaved to you all today, especially you Natsu. This apology is long overdue, but I am sorry of everything that I did to you one thousand years ago and that I did not stop my sister from becoming Nightmare Moon. Please forgive me."

"I won't accept that petty excuse if an apology," he said coldly without expression but Celestia wasn't bothered by this, she hasn't expected him to forgive her after all those years. The rest of the group however was shocked, absolutely appalled by how cold his words were, until he brought the oldest looking book one had ever seen. Opening at a random page, he read aloud: "1008 years, 3 months, 4 weeks, 2 days. That's how long I've forgiven you, and there's something special about that day."

Pulling Celestia closely so only she could hear his words, he whispered one sentence. Nopony else heard what Natsu had said but Celestia definitely did and she wept like a little foal. Flabberghasted was an understatement to the spectators, utter confusion roamed their minds. Did the man say something purely kind or dreadfully horrid? The open weeping lasted for a few moments, eventually relinquishing into small sobs. The whole time, Natsu was standing there embracing her. Ceasing from her crying, Celestia thanked Natsu and bid her farewells with tears marking her cheeks.

"What did you say that made the princess cry like that?" Twilight asked, speaking what was the main focal point on everypony's mind.

"Simple," he started, reaching his hand out to the doorknob of the building.

"It was the day I became Luna's guardian." Natsu joyously said with the widest smile anypony had ever seen as he opened the door.

That night, the sadness and despair that hollowed Dragon Slayer's heart was replaced and filled to the brim with happiness and joy. And drinking, oh god the drinking. The torn wizard had recovered what he had lost after one thousand years. It's an awful long time to wait, but the results were worth the world to him.

Definitely.

Author's Note:

IMPORTANT!! PLEASE READ!

Okay, so here's chapter four. I technically finished this last night but I figured I'd leave it until morning where everybody's up and attem. Anyway, chapter five has been started but I cannot guarantee that it'll be finished any time soon. I have exams coming up in four weeks and I really need to knuckle up on my studies. So unfortunately, until they are done, I won't be writing at all. I can expect it though, to be done by the end of the school year. Hope you guys understand and will be patient with me. Thank you for waiting all this time for my story to be updated and I hope you like it.

- ciaossu, Sketch.