• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,917 Views, 46 Comments

Trixie's Final Choice - DJSaltine



Trixie is back, but something seems odd about her. She's got tear streaks in her eyes, her clothes are gone, and she's standing over a cliff.

  • ...
4
 46
 2,917

The Note

The tree where Trixie had parked was again lonely as its lone occupant had driven away. Trixie used her magic to keep the wagon moving as she passed the road leading to Ponyville. Her eyes had bags underneath and were saturated by salty tears, but her lips were curled into a smile. Her life was straight ahead, and she knew it. A new live. A new home. A new world.

Just then, a grumble echoed below. Trixie hadn’t thought about food for so long, that she didn’t even realize how hungry she was. Stopping the cart, she looked in her purse for some bits. Upon opening it, a moth flew out and fluttered around before leaving Trixie again. Inside, not a bit stood. She quickly took to searching every nook and cranny of the cart, the entire cart shook as pots clattering loudly to the ground. Inside, she sat in the middle of a mess, pots upside-down on the floor, flowerpots shattered with dirt seeping out the bottom and the tulips bowing low and shredded books littered the floor. Even beyond the ransacking, she still was empty-hooved.

Sighing, she ignored her groaning gut and continued to the next town to, perhaps make a good trade on a few of those noisy pots.

* * * * * * * *

Spike was awoken by a knock at the door. Grumbling, he got out of his bed and began walking to see who it was. “Twilight wasn't supposed to be here until noon. I hope it isn't Fluttershy still worried about Trixie,” he muttered to himself, his hand resting on the doorknob for a bit.

He rubbed his eyes as he slowly opened the door. “Hell... o?" Nopony was there. Looking back and forth, not a single pony was anywhere near, in fact. Nothing indicated any form of possible reasoning for knocking, that is, except a brown box with a bow on top.

Confused, he picked it up and grabbed the letter under the bow. Giving a final look around, he walked back into the library, shutting the door behind him. He set the box and letter on the table and walked away, as it was addressed to Twilight and not him; but he still wanted to see what was inside.

He turned his head away, closing his eyes, but only for two seconds before opening his right eye, studying the box.

“Huuuuh…” he sighed, beginning to walk past it. He walked up to a door and stayed in the doorframe before turning around and whistling as he past it again. He pretended to look out the window, but kept rolling one eye back to catch a view of this new item. “Hhmmm...” He walked again to the doorframe and pretended to inspect the craftsponyship that the ponies who built this place had put into it. Again, he turned away and walked past the mystery box.

Owlowiscious stared at Spike while he did this routine, Owlowiscious’ eyes showing his annoyance. Finally, when Spike started whistling as he walked past it again, Owlowiscious flew down right next to the box and hooted. “Hoo.”

“Waah?” Spike jumped, surprised at Owlowiscious’ voice. “Oh, Owlowiscious, it’s just you.” He walked over to the present and his feathered friend. “I just can’t stop wondering what’s in the box.” He rested his arm on the table and his cheek on said arm. “It’s for Twilight, but I don’t know what she could have possibly ordered.”

“Hoo.”

“Twilight,” Spike replied, his face showing his annoyance similar to Owlowiscious from before. “I mean, it could be anything.” He raised his head off his arm. “She could have ordered a present for one of the others.” He thought about this for a while, a little smile on his face. “She does know how to take care of her friends…”

“Hoo.”

“The pony who we’ve been talking about, Twilight,” Spike all but shouted at the owl. He thought a little while longer. “Or maybe a present to her from one of the others!” He thought for a while, before stating, “But her birthday isn’t for another two months. Which pony would give her a present when it isn’t her birthday?” He smiled, knowing that of all the ponies who’d give generously, it’d be Rarity.

“Hoo.”

“Why, Rarity of course.” Spike’s heart fluttered and beat audibly through his chest. His thoughts on what Rarity would have to say, his mind became a bit clouded. “Well, I guess I could see what she wrote to Twilight, I mean, it wouldn’t hurt.” He looked at the letter with To Twilight Sparkle written on the front. As he tore the top of it open, he muttered to himself quietly, “…and I’d be able to see Rarity’s beautiful hoofwriting…”

Upon fully opening the letter, Spike began reading, but heard it through Rarity’s voice.

“‘Dear Twilight Sparkle,
It’s been a while since our last magic duel, and you coming out vic…’
“wait a minute…” Spike lifted his head from the note. “Magic duel? Then this isn’t from Rarity, but…” Spike buried his face back into reading:
“‘coming out victorious. I congratulate you in all your prowess and bow before a more powerful magician.’
“It sounds like Trixie, but only if she had a good twin…
“‘Enclosed, I leave my magician’s cloak and hat and am off to find a job I can do better. I sincerely hoped that you could forgive me, but highly doubt that outcome. May you wear them with pride.
Your defeated adversary,
The Great and Powerful Trixie.’”

Spike sat there a bit, rereading the letter over and over again. “Trixie’s given up her magic act…” He looked at the box, still wrapped with a bow. “And asked Twilight to continue it?”

“Hoo.”

“…” Spike looked at the floor, his eyes showing concern. “Trixie…”

* * * * * * * *

Twilight, the newest Alicorn, was being carried home in a royal cart by two of Celestia’s strongest stallion coaches. Her face was in great joy as she was nearly home to see her best friends. It’d been too long since she’d seen her friends, having to wait through boring lectures that even Celestia was bobbing to sleep just made it all the worse.

On the ground, her five pony friends and childhood dragon friend awaited her return with a huge banner with glitter, sparkles, and many gems stitched carefully in a fashionable design that spelt out ‘Twilight Sparkle.’ Rarity was inspecting the banner and carefully moving it up and down, trying to level it. Pinkie Pie was hopping, her face smiling as always. AppleJack was setting up some apple pies, fritters, and the like on a table for the party. Fluttershy was sitting with their six pets, watching over their overly active selves. Rainbow Dash was hovering just a bit over the ground, listening to Pinkie ramble on. Spike, unlike everyone else, had his hands on his cheek, worried was spelled all over his face.

“Ooooooooooooo,” Pinkie jumped up and down and up and down and up… “I can’t wait until Twilight gets here; she’s gonna be soooooooooooo surprised!”

“Calm down, sugarcube.” AppleJack rested her hoof on Pinkie’s jumping shoulder. “If ya keep yellin’ like that, she’s gonna hear ya all the way here.”

Pinkie stopped hopping and gasped deeply. “You don’t think I’ve ruined the surprise do you?” She ran to each of her friends staring into their eyes, starting with AppleJack. “I’ve never ruined a surprise party before!” She grabbed Rarity’s head. “I’ve never ruined a party before!” She stretched out her neck to get to Rainbow Dash’s head. “I’ve never ruined anything before!” Rainbow glared at her as if saying ‘yeah right.’ Pinkie ignored it and moved on to Fluttershy. “Could she have heard me?”

Fluttershy hid behind her pink bangs from Pinkie’s confrontation. “Uhmm…” she said quietly.

“She didn’t hear you, Pinkie,” Spike replied from the bench, still looking down. “Your surprise is still safe.”

“Good. I was hoping…” Pinkie went on.

Rarity realized Spike’s strange behavior and came over to see what was up. “Spikey, what’s wrong?” she said cutely.

Normally, Spike would have been fluttering at Rarity’s every word, but today was totally different. He sighed. “Remember Trixie?” He looked up from the ground into her beautiful eyes, even though he wasn’t thinking straight.

“Urg, that ruffian…” she began, her face twisted in disgust. “That tacky hat and cape was never in style!”

“Well, it’s at the library…”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “The clothes?”

“Yeah…” Spike looked back at the ground. “Trixie left them and a note for Twilight.”

“Spikey, did you read Twilight’s note?” Rarity asked teasingly.

“Yes…” Spike responded, not acknowledging her tone. “It said she was giving up her performance and moving on.”

Rarity sat down next to Spike. “That’s a good thing, isn’t it Spike?” She put a hoof over his shoulder. “I mean, she could get a more… modest job, instead of the constant boasting.”

“I guess…” Spike admitted, eyes still glued to the dirt.

“There’s my wittle, Spikey-wikey,” she said, scrunching her face. “Now, let’s welcome Twilight.”

“Okay. I’ll be there in a second.” Spike said, braving a smile. Rarity walked over to the rest of her friends. Spike quietly commented to himself. “Maybe Fluttershy was right. I just hope she hasn’t done anything foolish…” He thought about it for a little while longer. “Twilight should know what to do!” With renewed vigor, he got up and ran to join the welcoming committee.

Author's Note:

I hope I got the correct actions for the correct character in this one, as it is mainly talking.

This is intended to the lowest point, or the second part in a three part play. You can guess about how much further we have to go!