• Published 24th May 2013
  • 10,250 Views, 158 Comments

Ascent. Book 1: Twilight - viwrastupr



An illustrated fic featuring the journey of Twilight as she comes to terms with her feelings for a good friend.

  • ...
14
 158
 10,250

Heart

Chapter 7: Heart

The amount of blood rising to her cheeks was scientifically impossible, Twilight thought. The heart simply didn’t have that much to provide. She stared. Celestia was dressed up, made over and was that eyeshadow? The Princess wore a light lavender dress with no frills, no ribbons, just six pointed magenta and white stars along the side. Around her neck was a a magenta neckerchief, to match her eyes: to match their eyes. Rarity was a lot of things, but she was not subtle. The Princess’s hair was was also done up in a Fançais style braid and her tail to match, while her face, the object of Twilight’s longest stare, was looking right at the unicorn.

The royal mask and fear of the previous day were nowhere to be seen, just a smile floating across her lips.

Her lips.

“Twilight, I’m sorry,” the lips started, “About yesterday, about everything, I-”

“You’re not supposed to see her yet!” A yell came from inside and Pinkie tackled Twilight before pulling her into her own changing room. She was left alone and perplexed with Fluttershy. The colors in the dress before her were all too familiar: white with a gold trim and decorated with green, cyan and pink ribbons. Not subtle at all.

Shy didn’t say a word, proceeding to dress her as if her being here was the most natural thing in the world. Twilight’s heart was in her throat. She hadn’t had time to analyze the look in Celestia’s eyes, but what she caught made her think of a possibility that had long been buried, but never left her heart. Please, oh please Celestia, don’t be Chrysalis, don’t be a trick, don’t be a joke, give me this night. This one little night let the sorrow be gone from both of us.

It took her a moment to realize the fitting was over and she was being hugged by her friend. She hugged back in a long and soft embrace. Shy beamed, leading her out the room. It was just like Fluttershy to make a pony feel calm and welcome without saying a word. She made a mental note to thank her later.
Twilight stepped into the hall and into what could only be described as a dream. The small ballroom had been redecorated, the lights dimmed, sparse ribbons of yellow lay on walls of blue and the dance floor had been replaced by tables for food, leaving only a small, intimate area lit for dancing. But that wasn’t the dream, the dream stood under the spotlight and less than a hoof away: Princess Celestia, waiting to dance with her.

“Pinkie, what is this?” Twilight asked, shying from the alicorn before her.

Her five friends stood in front of the two, the couple, looking more composed and serious than usual.

“This, is your party! Well, it’s more of a social, but with just you two, so a dance really.”

“It’s our way of saying... thanks...”

“And good luck, sugarcube.”

“And take care... of those dresses, of course.”

“And you! You better take care of our Twilight.”

Having said their peace the five companions left the hall. Rarity tipped the needle on the gramophone on her way out.

* * *

It had been the first full day guided by the Princess of the Night in a long time. What ever could be keeping her sister occupied? Luna asked herself, already thinking of what the answer might be. It had been millenia but Celestia still showed the same signs of having a crush. Her poor sister had always pushed others away the closer they got to her.

“The stars will aid in her escape,” Luna said in secret. “And you wonder why I said that, my sister.” The Princess of the Night thought it was a good time for a stroll and strolling was not in any way snooping.

The grounds were deserted and while Luna was glad for the peace and quiet she often missed the company that watching the night brought. “Hey! Scoot over, I can’t see anything.” There was a rustling of leaves which caused her to look over and see a bright yellow pony butt with pink tail sticking out of the bushes. She recognized the not so hidden forms as those of Twilight’s companions, who looked to be trying to give privacy. Of course they hadn’t left and were merely out of sight. Luna considered playing a prank... Maybe just a small one.

“Move over,” she said.

“Make your own space,” Dash told the newcomer. The newcomer Princess. “Uh. Uh. Girls?” Luna grinned at dash, who looked to be exercising her arm poking the white pony next to her. “We have a visitor.”

Rarity hmphed. “Tell them to buzz off, we’re busy.”

Fluttershy had the curiosity and good sense to see what was happening. “P-p-princess Luna?!”

“May we join you?”

* * *

Twilight once again stared at her princess and the Princess stared back, only this time it wasn’t a contest of wills. It was her wonder and Celestia’s affection. Affection that was more open and free than she had ever seen from her princess.

A terrible idea entered her head, her eyes squinting shut as she blurted out. “I’m sorry Princess. I should have left by now.”

A bare hoof caressed Twilight’s cheek. “Please don’t leave Twilight, my-” Celestia’s throat caught with a lump. There were so many nicknames she wanted to call Twilight but they all touched her heart in a way that wasn’t enough. Twilight let herself give in to temptation and nuzzle the soft neck in front of her with warm affection. To her glee Celestia didn’t turn away, but leaned in in a heavenly embrace.

“As I was saying.” Celestia continued. “Yesterday was me being a fool.”

Twilight didn’t want to remember. “I’m so sorry, Princess, I-” A hoof to her lips silenced her.

It was Celestia’s turn to interrupt her pupil. “Tia.”

Twilight’s mind raced, hoping so hard it hurt, but still unsure. “A... another rule?”

Celestia shook her head. “My dearest Twilight, it is a humble request. As is this.” She offered Twilight her hoof. “Shall we dance?”

The not quite ruler took the not quite pupil by the hoof and they moved together. It was a slow dance that promised to have all the time in the world to finish. Eyes met, cheeks blushed and they pressed together a little closer. A most heartfelt “awwww” chorus came from outside and out of hearing.

Twilight was leading and it didn’t surprise Celestia at all, unlike it would have before her realization. Twilight didn’t worship her any more than the librarian worshipped a good book. She was ‘perfect’ to her friend including all her flaws.

Her heart was free, the barriers down and she found herself loving it. Celestia let her head rest on Twilight’s neck and allowed her tears to flow freely. She gave her Twilight a nuzzle and they held together closer.

Was there music? Did it matter? They were together, and unresolved issues or not, that was more important than anything.

“Have I ever told you?” Celestia broke the long, comfortable silence with a whisper, coming close to nibbling an ear. “How much I enjoy your company?” Close became too far for temptation and she nibbled with gentle enthusiasm. Her dance partner giggled, an exciting sensation against her neck.

Twilight met her gaze. “You’ve shown me princess. You smile all the time when I’m around.”

Her feathers ruffled, though the cause was more a sudden realization than an uncomfortable one, their eyes still together. “I-I do not... Do I?”

A whispered giggle and a sideways smile was her reply. “Your face could light up a room and often it does Sun Princess.” Twilight succumbed to beautiful analysis. “Your mask is broken Celestia.” They stared into one another. “It’s a good thing you’re so beautiful underneath.”

Celestia leaned in closer. Twilight wasn’t about to take this, it had to be given to her. It had to be free: free of pity, free of remorse or duty and freely desired. Her princess had to come to her own realization.

The lips came ever closer and they shared a kiss.

Celestia’s heart shone.

* * *

“Wahaha!” Rarity squealed.

“Shh.”

“Well would ya look at that.” Applejack sniffled, holding onto Pinkie. The party pony had hoped this scheme would work, and it had more than she ever thought possible. “Our little girl is growing up.”

“Shh.” Fluttershy’s whispered pleas were going ignored.

“Te he he,” Rainbow dash giggled. She received some questioning looks, her ears turning red. “... what?”

“We are proud of our sister!” Luna’s royal Canterlot voice boomed into a quiet Spike’s ears.

“SHHHHHH,” Fluttershy’s control flooded over. “Can’t you see those two ponies are having a special moment?!” Her outburst caught everypony’s attention, including a blushing Twilight and Celestia. “Oh. Um I... Darn.”

“I think it is time we entered,” Luna observed. “All of us.” The little ponies followed their Princess inside.

The couple ignored their friends, instead dancing and holding one another. Twilight looked to be on fire with joy, and Celestia’s eyes were watering. In their own little world they continued to move and sway with the music long after it stopped. After what was both forever and no time at all they let themselves separate.

“Please excuse us.” Luna bowed. “But we couldn’t help but notice you are in need of the magic of friendship.” She smirked, having said something she thought was funny but the insinuation of which was lost in the moment.

* * *

It was a night full of memories, joy and laughter. Rainbow taught Luna how to dance to the newest music craze, while the Princess taught some of the darker dances from ancient times. The two were more similar than anypony expected. Pinkie meanwhile was stacking muffins on her nose until Applejack challenged her to a contest that left the apple fritters decimated. The noble sisters shared a ‘classic royal dance’, though in their play and exuberance it didn’t look royal at all.

Twilight gave in to temptation and patted Celestia’s flank when she wasn’t looking. There was a nothing on the ceiling that caught Twilight’s attention immediately afterwards. The Princess took revenge by whispering a few choice provocative words, something about waiting and tearing. Twilight thanked her stars that Rarity didn’t hear, but the unicorn was much too busy telling Applejack about how she ‘knew all along’. AJ, for her part, listened, content to be a part of the festivities.

“Um. Twilight.” A quick tug on her dress drew her attention to a little purple dragon looking up at her. “Can you meet me in the garden?” Spike ran outside with purpose before she could make hide or tail of him.

“Please excuse me Princess,” Twilight asked of Luna, who had been telling her and Pinkie about old Canterlot recipes.

Her faithful assistant was rocking back and forth, waiting for her underneath the gazebo.

“What is it?" she asked. "Spike?”’

Spike looked at her. She was glowing with joy on this, the happiest night of her life, and a grin held to her face like the world would be kind forever. It made him feel all the more guilty for what he was about to say.

“I shouldn’t be asking this Twilight. It may be me just being greedy Dragon Spike, but-” He grabbed onto her foreleg and held on for dear life. “Please don’t leave Ponyville Twilight! Please. You have the library there, and all your books, and and your friends and they- we love you and I don’t know what I’d do all on my own and I can’t- I can’t...” Spike sobbed into her dress, somehow she still smiled.

“It’s okay Spike.” Twilight returned his hug. “Things change, and sometimes there are really big changes that are wonderful and terrible at the same time, but as far as Ponyville goes, I’m not going anywhere. Once these two weeks are over I’ll be back. After all,” She laughed, “Canterlot isn’t that far away and I am absolutely certain Celestia and I will work something out.”

The dragon’s fears were comforted, though his eyes remained puffy. “Y-you promise?”

“I promise.” Twilight made Pinkie’s ‘cupcake in her eye’ gesture and tried not to laugh. “After all, I’d be lost without my number one assistant!”

Spike sniffled, but regained his usual composure. “What would you do without me?” he proclaimed with only a little false bravado.

“Come on, I bet Rarity would like a dance.” She made to take him by the hand and lead him back inside but they were stopped by a large white pony in a lavender gown.

“Go on Spike,” Celestia requested. “Twilight and I need to talk.“ Spike’s eyes widened in surprise, but he did as asked. “So...”

“Are we together?” Twilight asked, meeting Celestia’s eyes with hope. Her blunt side was always three steps ahead.

“I desire that, yes, but there are things you must know.” Celestia walked to her friend’s side and stood beside her.

Twilight took shelter under her princess’s wing. “I may know more than you think.”

“You always do.” Celestia nodded, smiling at Twilight’s observation. Though the Princess’s joy remained, her age weighed on her expression and she sighed, giving her gaze to the night sky. “There weren’t stars when Luna began the night,” she said cryptically.

Any other pony would exclaim surprise or disbelief, but Twilight Sparkle nodded, receiving her lesson.

“Luna keeps her memories in them, each star a pony she once knew.” A chill breeze forces the couple together, for warmth they tell themselves, but warmth of what kind? ”One by one, the ponies passed and the sky filled. As the night overflowed with light she made the new stars dimmer and dimmer, so that today most you cannot see on your own, but each she remembers and knows intimately. Look at the stars Twilight.” Twilight did as asked and suddenly felt very small, yet protected by the warmth beside her.

“You would be a single star among millions in my life and one day-” Celestia stuttered, trying to not be overwhelmed by the idea. “One day I will not remember you, though I love you, one day you will be but a passing star in the night sky.” As if for her life, her wing held on to Twilight.

Twilight’s mind analyzed, passing over the admission of love to be filed away for later happiness. “I will still know you and care for you all of my life.” She embraced Celestia closely. “Every day of it. As much as Starswirl loved magic.”

Celestia’s suspicions raised concerning what her sister had let slip of their plans, and the possibility... No, Celestia wouldn’t let her thoughts go down that road. Though Twilight was an amazing student, that was still no guarantee she would figure it out. If the time came.

“What do you know of Starswirl?” Celestia inquired,

Twilight’s ears perked, happy to change conversation to something more steeped in learning possibilities. “That he devoted so much of his life to magic his contributions to magical theory number more than any other pony.”

Relieved that Twilight knew nothing of her and her sister’s plans, Celestia took the ‘let’s learn!’ direction of the conversation and carried it further. While the two became lost in magical theory they sat a little closer together, their tails unconsciously pressing against one another and sharing play. If anypony were to stumble upon them they would be privy to the great lost secrets of Equestria, yet would have no idea what those secrets were and be lost themselves in a cacophony of jargon. To Twilight it was the most romantic moment of her life.

Eventually the conversation trailed to a stop, leaving them without dialogue or communication but with the most important thing, company. Tears came again to Twilight as she realized her great luck. “I love you Celestia,” she whispered. “It’s very selfish of me to ask you to care for me back.” She held her princess tight. “I’ll have my whole life, but you... I’m sorry Celestia.”

A gentle nuzzle from Celestia comforted her. “I was thinking the same thing, dear Twilight. I’m sorry you won’t be here to share it with me, but I will be happy while you are here for me.”

Celestia giggled in a soft song. “Twilight Sparkle. I want to spend my evenings gazing at the stars with you. I want to learn all of magic with you. I want to make you laugh, make you happy. I want to spend quiet days just sipping tea across from you.” Twilight blushed head to hoof, having heard her own speech said back to her. “Will you be my special somepony?”

“Yes, Tia.”

* * *

Though the party lasted late into the evening, all good things must come to an end. At midnight Celestia and Twilight bid farewell to the others and made the fateful walk to rest. The alicorn stopped outside her bedroom.

“Twilight, I want to savor this.” Celestia’s companion nodded and they sat beside one another in comfortable silence, gazing at the stars.

“Everfree,” Celestia said.

“What’s that Tia?”

Celestia blushed red, much more than she should have at just a nickname, but a wonderful joy built within her when Twilight said it. “My last name. Is Everfree.” Her heart went pitter pat, thumping with delight as Twilight leaned on her. It was such a little gesture, but one that meant so much to her that she again fought back tears.

The last few days played through her mind: returning to Canterlot, Twilight by her side, constant tests of will, the argument with her sister, the court and Chrysalis.

Chrysalis.

Something dawned on Celestia. “She was talking to you,” Celestia said. She would brave the Gates of Tartarus for you. “You asked her to tell the secret... Chrysalis was talking to you about what I would do for you. She had known that I would brave the gates of Tartarus for you Twilight.” The ‘evil’ queen had given her a true gift, though badly wrapped.

Twilight giggled sleepily. “I’m glad.” The young pony was falling asleep on her hooves and in her dreamy state it made perfect sense for a yellow aura to surround her, carry her to bed and tuck her in with care. Celestia had to wonder if the pony had had a full night’s sleep in a long time. She would let her rest this night. Of course, Celestia didn’t want her to be cold, no that just wouldn’t do! Maybe just a wing, she told herself, scooting closer to her Twilight.

* * *

Dear Rarity,

Rarity was startled by the fact that she could read the tea bag she had been dunking in her morning coffee. It was surprising to her to discover it was actually a scroll and then humiliating for her to remember teabags weren’t to be dunked in coffee. She proceeded to unroll the scroll with all the care of a house fire. The train ride back from Canterlot had been delayed for the better part of an hour meaning she had gotten zero sleep and there was always work to do.

Generosity is an easy word to throw around. Being generous with your time is limited to giving a pony your company, a generous gift is any gift at all, and taking time to help somepony else is considered generous. A bit less so when it’s a duty.

Last night, you, all of you, went out of your way to try and give me some happiness and... it worked. I’m having a hard time using magic, a hard time writing, a hard time putting together words and my hooves are shaking. I’m just so happy. You. Every last one of you... you mean the world to me.

My most moving lesson in friendship so far is this: Generosity is friendship. Go out of your way to make your friends smile, to give them gifts, to listen to them, to give them your heart, and to be there for them.

I cannot thank you and the other girls (and Spike!) enough for last night. Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

With all my love,


Twilight Sparkle

P.S. Please share this letter with the others.

Some stupid coffee still stained the parchment. It kept falling, despite Rarity’s best efforts, one salty drop at a time.

* * *

It was warm.

Twilight had again awoken to be covered in feathers, but this time they were accompanied by limbs, hair, and was that Tia’s heartbeat right on her ear? She melted into the heat of the morning sunlight. Sunlight means Celestia got up, raised the sun, and came back into bed to cuddle, she reasoned. That or Luna is pulling double duty again. Either way, Twilight grinned like a fool.

The day had only just begun, but her trial was over and in the best possible way. Celestia was finally her princess proper. Not a lost friend, apathetic ruler, or strict mentor, but a pony she held close to her. Again and again she nuzzled her companion and it didn’t matter where, just that she was welcome to. It felt much better than a pillow.

“Twilight.” Her cuddle buddy was awake. Quick, she told herself. Think of something clever to say!

“Mmmmmrrrrnnrnnn.” Her greeting was slurred into her companion’s neck. Not exactly clever, but it got the point across. She hoped.

Celestia’s chest tickled her with a giggle .“Good morning to you too.”

The morning light made her ears burn, at least, that’s the reason she told herself she was blushing. “Do you think,” she asked, meeting Celestia’s eyes, “Would it be too far for me to want to... um...” The reality of just how close together they were sunk in to Twilight. She whispered her request into Tia’s ear and blushed fiercely when her princess nodded.

Celestia unfurled a wing and Twilight was given her first lesson on how to preen.

* * *

The week after came and went with a lot and not a lot happening at once. Twilight was introduced to the court as the ‘Confidant to the Sun’ and while normally there would be an official Ceremony, Luna told the two to wait.The Princess was hiding something, but Twilight was content to let it go for the moment. She owed Luna that much. The Night Princess had given up a great deal of her own time to take on some of Celestia’s duties so that the new couple might have time to visit one another.

Of course the pony folk saw the revelation as nothing new and the court saw the world ending. ‘The sun doesn’t take consort’ came the cries from the pulpit. ‘Celestia is not just some mare.’ ‘She’ll be giving this mare favor over us.’ ‘Two mares don’t belong together.’ Celestia was wondering why Luna had let the last group in, as they were normally too disruptive, but their statement raised more than a few eyebrows. It caused many to question their own fears, given that the particular issue had been settled for hundreds of years.

* * *

Upon her return home Twilight snuck in to Ponyville to allow herself to unpack in peace. Pinkie would insist on an immediate party and that would keep her from having things organized for much too long. Out of her saddlebag came some scrolls, a few books, borrowed with permission from Luna, Rarity’s ‘Celestia’ dress, and she took the most care unpacking a burned wooden box. She allowed herself to indulge in her memories for a little. Inside it each assortment met her and she fondly compared the past to the present. A pleasant notion came over her and she hoofed through her journal and looked for a certain page.

“Ah!” There it was: an old checklist.

Learn how to teleport: Check

Find out what’s in the donuts Joe sells: Check

Get Spike to wake up on time: Check. Uncheck. Check. Work in progress.

Make parents proud: Check and Star

Learn everything about magic: Never check this!

Get brother out of the house: Check

Get over Princess:

That was the end of the list, as far as Twilight knew, but the last entry had been crossed out and replaced with a message from Celestia.

‘Never let yourself down’

Twilight smiled. She never would. Her thoughts turned to the secret she had yet to spring on her marefriend and she had just the lesson to tie things together. Quill at the ready and parchment in hoof she set to writing.

Dear Spike,

“Twilight!” The young dragon tripped over his feet getting to her, dropping the cakes he was carrying with reckless abandon. “You’re back! Why didn’t you tell anypony?”

“Spike, take a letter,” she responded.

There was silence as his face dropped. “Really? No, ‘hey Spike, what’s up?’ Or ‘how have you been Spike?’ I have a life too ya know.”

Twilight giggled and set her own quill to parchment, floating a set to her assistant “Trust me on this one.” Spike shrugged, taking up quill and paper as always.

“Dear Spike,” The young dragon was confused, but continued. “In the last few days I’ve learned many valuable lessons on friendship. I think this is the most important lesson I could learn. Where you are doesn’t make your home and while four walls and a roof are necessary, spending time with good friends, laughing, smiling, thinking, and doing what you love is what makes where you are a home. It’s very important, did you get that Spike? Im-por-tant to be with the ones you care for, especially when choosing those who live with you. Your Faithful Companion, Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight finished her copy with a flourish, giving hers to Spike and taking his. “What do you think, Spike?”

There was no response, then a shrug as he tried to dismiss the emotions of the letter he clutched to. “It’s all mushy stuff.”

Twilight smirked. “Whatever you say, my faithful assistant, it’s your letter.”

“I know,” despite his resistance his eyes watered. “There’s one thing I don’t get though. Aren’t you supposed to write these letters to Princess Celestia?”

“Very observant my number one assistant.” She gestured to the pile of scrolls before her. “Which is why I’m going to go upstairs and send her my copies right away. In the interim can I ask you to tell the others I’m back?”

“Inter- wha?”

“Get our friends, Spike.” Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Right away!” He saluted and set to his task.

Watching him as he left the library was the reminder she needed of home. Canterlot had a welcome home waiting for her, both at the palace and with her parents, but so was here. This was their home, and Celestia’s, Fluttershy’s, Rarity’s, Applejack’s, and Rainbow’s home too. A big important laugh lifted her heart while she climbed to her bedroom, scrolls in tow.

“Twenty-eight minutes,” a voice from her bedroom told her.

“To get here or you were waiting?” Twilight asked her princess who lay casually across her bed.

Celestia laughed, “To get here, and I could use the exercise. Being Princess has it’s lazy disadvantages.”

“Tea?” Twilight asked into a welcoming nuzzle.

“Yes, please,” her princess whispered.

“Dear Princess Celestia- Tia,” Twilight started. Understanding, Celestia lay at attention, tongue literally in cheek and a smile on her face while Twilight prepared a kettle of water. “Before my stay in Canterlot you asked me to continue writing my letters of friendship and despite the flurry that met us when we collided, I did. Every time I learned a lesson in friendship I wrote a pony close to me, but I also made a hoofwritten copy so that I might be able to surprise you with everything I learned by the end of my stay. While the time didn’t end as I expected, there are six letters in total for you to read at your leisure.” Parchment floated softly to Celestia’s hooves. ”Enclosed is what I have learned. Your Dearest Friend, Twilight Sparkle.”

The Princess was happy, surprised, and eager. “Read them to me,” she commanded.

“No.” Twilight stuck her tongue out at princess fluffybutt and offered the ruffled alicorn a cup of tea.

“Let me try that again,” Celestia inhaled the tea’s scent, a sweet chamomile. “Please read them with me?”

“Yes.”

The Sun and the Twilight lay together, and amidst affectionate tugs and nuzzles, shared their memories. “Dear Applejack...”

* * *

Memories, so many warm and happy memories came flooding back to her.

How many years had it been? A thousand? Two? It was too many for Celestia to count. Removing the enchanted ring, the glint of a ruby crystal caught her attention. Clever Twilight. Clever, adorkable Twilight. With this she could relive those memories, free from the burden of time and the forgetfulness of forever. She cried: the happiest sad she had ever been. She would never forget how she had fallen in love.

Do lavender wings come to comfort her in an embrace? Does a test passed and new magic made grant an immortal life? Is hard work and study enough to change or are we stuck in the caste we are born to?

Is the world so perfect?

“I love you Twilight.”

Author's Note:

And that's the end!

Thanks all for reading my fic, I hope you enjoyed it.

All said and done, I'm still looking for editors for the next submission! I'd like to improve my pacing, plot points, jokes, setting... everything really. I want to be a better writer. I am willing to exchange making illustrations in any of the styles present in this fic for editing services.


* * * Special thanks * * *

I'll update this with specific names when I have time, but my heart goes out to all the people who helped make this fic what it is. Thanks for your help!

Comments ( 55 )

I really loved this story. Twilestia is a personal favorite of mine and you pulled it off magnificently.

I do have to ask, though... Is your story's universe one where Twilicorn is canon? Or was the ending meant to be open to the reader's preference?
Personally I find the idea of the ending having Celestia live on while Twilight lives her life out as a mortal to be really sad.:fluttercry:

That was amazing. An absolute pleasure to read.

If you somehow actually manage to improve, I'll be impressed, but I guess nothing is impossible. Either way, looking forward to more of your work.

I can't say I like the open end, but just in case it would end with the sad half, I will take open and choose the happy ending for myself, thank you.

I loved it! Glad I stayed up to read it. So does she get to live with Twilight forever or what? :raritydespair: You didn't specify. :duck:

The way you ended it! :raritydespair: It implies she could live and Celestia only needs the ring to remember to far back past! Clever, so horribly clever! :raritycry: She lives, I tell you, she LIVES! My God, I actually shed a tear... first time that's happened while reading....

D'aww, that was a nice story.

The drawings were quite lovely and I liked the concept of the dresses for the dance, pretty neat idea. I liked the incorporation of the friendship reports through out, it was a nice bit of canon story element implementation.

Characterization felt right to me in most places; side characters were good, princesses you can't really get wrong due too how little we see them in show, Spike was spikey. Your Twilight felt a little off to me at times. I'm having a hard time coming up with why exactly that is, so take that with a grain of salt.

It felt just a *tiny* bit too mushy for me at times; I could see Twilight and Celestia getting emotional given the circumstances but the side characters felt just a tad too quick to tears and comforting hugs. I recognize its a style choice to turn everyone's emotions up to eleven in fluff dramas but for me personally it makes some scenes unbelievable.

I think I spotted a few hints at potential pairings that have me intrigued; did I spot the ever elusive LunaDash in there?

I couldn't tell if you were going for an ending that was purposefully ambiguous or foreshadowing for other works you have coming. I'm sticking around for the others so I guess I'll find out; looking forward to em!

the ending and Celestia's worries make me think of this.

Nice way to wrap things up. Until next time.

2831061 I think that's the point.:twilightsmile:

Overall, this was an excellent story. Also, I liked how you left the ending open to interpretation. Personally, I prefer to think Twilight remains with Celestia to this day, and the ring is a way for Celestia to properly remember all their time together.

I give this story a solid 8/10 points.

Of course the pony folk saw the revelation as nothing new and the court saw the world ending. ‘The sun doesn’t take consort’ came the cries from the pulpit. ‘Celestia is not just some mare.’ ‘She’ll be giving this mare favor over us.’ ‘Two mares don’t belong together.’ Celestia was wondering why Luna had let the last group in, as they were normally too disruptive, but their statement raised more than a few eyebrows. It caused many to question their own fears, given that the particular issue had been settled for hundreds of years.

Ah the nobility. Can't Tia gather them all at some sort of political summit on a deserted island in the middle of nothing but water and conveniently drop a meteor on their head or something? Please?

No?

Rats.

---

Cool story :twilightsmile: I'll admit I would liked to have seen Tia grovel for a chapter or two, first to Twi's friends and then to Twi's parents, and then come crawling back to Twi begging forgiveness for being a total plothead. Otherwise, not bad!

:moustache:

Ah, delicious Twilestia.

Hurray! :yay: That was a great deal of fun but I must admit you're extremely cruel for leaving the ending open to the reader's prefenrance but nonetheless I really enjoyed this fic :pinkiehappy:

Yay! I've loved what you've done here.

I'll be awaiting your next work, so get writing!

I am very impressed. There's really nothing else I can say.

That was freaking amazing. All the times I wanted Twilight to stand up for herself, she did. The romance was excellent, the writing was good, and the pace wasn't that bad, in my opinion.

Now, serious question. This is titled "Ascent. Book 1: Twilight" Does that mean that there is a book 2, as I think there will be?

P.S. The art was really good.
P.P.S. That cliffhanger was kinda evil.
P.P.P.S. I mean that in a good way, not "Oh, that's cruel." More of a "Aww maaaaan! Really?!" While thinking, "Damn... He's good."
P.P.P.P.S. Everfree as Celestia's last name is inspired. Never seen that one before.
P.P.P.P.P.S. Never seen her with a last name before, now that I think about it.
P.P.P.P-Just kidding. :pinkiehappy:

2841402

There will be more books. They focus on different characters, but things will intertwine over time. Quite a few little things that are present here will come up again in the future, creating an entire world. :twilightsmile:

This is a very damn good story here.

This is a very damn good story here.

I held Ariamaki's Four of Two as the best Twilestia. By a large margin. I am reconsidering that ranking.

I think this is the most in depth in regards to how Celestia feels and her confusion, out of all of them.
And also that Twilight is the best at space! Uuuh, I mean magic. Yep. You can teach her, but you can't school her, she WILL school you harder. Like a cute fuzzy daaaawful boss.

Quite a good story, my favorite parts had to be when Celestia was first showing Twilight all the stuff she had to do and put up with, I was kinda hoping you would keep with that for longer since I always enjoy things like that. The whole Celestia going really cold and banishing Twilight seemed kind of out of place though. It kind of came out of no where and really just seemed to me to serve an "oh shit, shit just got REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAL" moment, the first chapter also felt kind of stunted but I honestly cant put my foot on why. Other than that, great story, it had a great build up and the ending was quite good, even if it didn't flow with cannon. Would have been interesting to see how you would work in the spell from magical mystery cure.

2905425 Yes I have read it that's why I wrote "in Month".:raritywink:
For of Two came first then The Lavender Letter and now Ascent and between all of them leys month of Waiting^^

This is absurdly good.

It focuses on a character driven storyline that, while adhering to show canon, delves deeper into the personality, reasoning and emotions, of each character.

You have a remarkable gift for understatement.

This is, without a doubt, the best characterization of both Celestia and Twilight I've seen. The premise of "see me as I really am" is both plausible and compelling, and the dual nature of that premise works so well: Celestia overdoing it to drive Twilight away, and Twilight seeing right through it and falling even more in love. The latter made for some of the most powerful moments in the story.

It's hard to write a well-characterized Celestia, and even harder to write a vulnerable one. At best, most stories manage a few genuine moments. You've made it pervasive and consistent. A handful of moments stand out, notably the tower, the dance, and Twilight's objections to the "diary" and "no doting" bits.

Likewise, I found that the story managed to make Twilight much more believable, by leaving the nature of her crush initially ambiguous, and slowly revealing that it's far more. This is one of those stories that brings an image into focus such that all the details make sense as they're revealed. I genuinely didn't catch onto the true meaning of Twilight's statements of "perfect" in the "warts and all" sense until the very last time she said it, the same time that made Celestia realize it. You kept the possibility that Twilight was still somewhat taken in by the illusion of perfection just long enough for it to come into dissonance with the signs that Twilight sees through the mask, and then used that feeling to make the tower scene that much more powerful.

This is the best romantic ship of Twilight and Celestia that I have read. Maybe the best ship in general, but that one I am not sure about. Brilliant characterization of all of the characters, and Twilight's and Celestia's relationship made sense.

Dear Viwrastupr,

Firstly, I want to apologize for failing to contact you back in the last seven weeks. I spent these last few weeks busy with a piano class and two Summer B college classes, all of which ate up my time and energy during the early weekday mornings and later afternoons. I would be lying if I said these classes left me no time to edit your story, so aside for failing to mention my (then-future) responsibilities to you, I must apologize for not contacting you or editing Octavia, Chapter 1, in the past seven weeks.

That's not to say that I forgot about my responsibility to edit your story; by the end of the third week, I remembered about my offer. But by that time, class had begun full swing and I doubted whether you wanted to hear from me at all. If you don't want me as an editor and/or if you found a replacement editor, I completely understand and again I apologize. And if you still do, let me start with a practice shot of Ascent:

"Last night and today, I finally had the nerve to complete Ascent after weeks of guilty stalling. That ending... it really caught me hard, with a bittersweet jab right at the finish, although the final few paragraphs admittedly confused me whether or not Twilight became a mortal(?) alicorn or not. I'm guessing you were deliberately ambiguous so the audience could draw their own conclusions, but I for one found these details unhelpfully vague.

Arguably my favorite scene was Twilight's morning conversation with Celestia in Chapter 4, one of the most sincere, pivotal moments in all of the Twilestia stories I've read thus far. Its the acme of reasons arguing for love in the face of immortality's bane, that the love between a mortal and an immortal is worth the relationships' transience and inevitable suffering, for despite all its sadness, great happiness bloomed before death. The only Twilestia stories that I've found to be its equal are Device Heretic's Eternal and Varanus' Composure."

If you don't mind, I'll edit Octavia, Chapter 1 with your permission and submit to you the edited story. Again, I sincerely apologize for not being the consistent editor you needed and hope that you have not suffered for it.

Sincerely Yours,
Silver-Tongue

In my experiance, the best Twilestia's deal with Celestia's reluctance to share her immortal life with a mortal, rather than Twilight's desire to impress her mentor.

You pulled this off brilliantly. Sort out some of the earlier grammar mistakes I pointed out, and this is a strong contender for best Twilestia.

A few very minor typos here and there don't detract in the slightest from a brilliant and beautiful story, every moment of which was entirely believable. The framing device of the letters and the Mane 5+Spike's involvement was a great anchor point, no matter what else was happening in the chapters. Including a Doctor-and-Derpy red herring cameo was unnecessary and might have been too obvious a twist given its positioning in the story. Twilight's baking confession and her white-eyed confrontation in the tower were exactly in tone and were heartrending. What was expertly done, I think, was the handling of the post-Season 3 Princess Twilight material. It comes right at the end, though there are hints earlier if you look for them. It leaves just enough to the reader's imagination, and it's a great end to the story. No, not great - to use a word (and a powerfully symbolic one) repeated throughout this story, it was "perfect."

I'll come back to expand on this comment later, but let me just say that this was magnificent!! Easily one of the best treatments of Twi and Tia that I've ever read.

That ending was gorgeous, just amazing. I love the whole, thing. I am usually b leery of twilestia but this was beautiful. I applaud you and will certainly be using this story to defend the romance genre fer pony fiction.

You write some of the best Pinkie and Fluttershy I've ever seen.

I'm just going to do something boring and agree with pretty much all the already made comments. For starters I don't normally read Twilestia, but this was excellent. A minor typo here or there (sorry, haven't noted them down!) but nothing to distract from what is a very solid story.

Oh, and there's some pretty art as well, though I read it on my grayscale ereader. That being said this is the first time I can say I'm looking forward to more stories in a Twilestia universe, and whatever else you come up with as well.

I must say I greatly enjoyed this story. It was touching and heartwarming and all that good stuff. I am most certainly up-voting this.

Buuuut.....(you knew that was coming, right?)

That last paragraph. I spent the entire story hoping and waiting to see Twilight become an alicorn and they live happily ever after and all that jazz. The ending as written, though good, left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. Maybe I get too emotionally attached to fictional characters, and that's my burden/psychosis to bear, but I can't help but feel unnecessary sadness in romance stories where one character is immortal and the other isn't. It messes with my headbrain and i get all mopey. That was why twilicorn was, in my opinion, the greatest thing to happen to Twilestia stories since the invention of lesbian romance.

Overall, I give this story an 8.5 out of 10, and I definitely recommend it. But, alas, it would have gotten a 12.5 had Twilight become an alicorn.

ohh maaan this story went right through my eyes into the feels and hit them in all kind of ways!
really liked the story, I've read my fair share of Twilestia and I'll admit this one ranks among the top ones! Good job!
are we still gonna get successive books? :pinkiecrazy:

It's been twenty five weeks and a day after I commented on this chapter. I have to say this story is like getting curb stomped in the chest.

Feelings of painful happiness aside, this is a great story. Right here is why Twilestia is so great. The opportunity for content is so amazingly vast that I'm surprised there are as little stories involving the paring as it is.

I must say though, I'm glad I made myself get kicked in the chest again. There's nothing quite like exposing one's self for uncommon emotional stimulation. Most of modern day entertainment is lacking it seems. Movies are all the same, epic stories of "excitement", rudimentary comedies, or vampires... Books are better than movies, but still limited. The creativity of the authors' on this site is staggering. It's great to remember just how creative we can get.

Ascent: BOOK 1

Where's book 2? Also, you want to become a better writer? You must be crazy if you think that you can improve on this masterpiece. There were a few capitalization errors, but that's purely grammatical and can easily be solved with an editor. All that I can say is that I hope you write more on this site.

the story was great the pictures were epic and I'm following you for the next one. Thank you for the great read :twilightsmile:

3857525 Yeah, but seriously who can pay attention to this?

4032502

Anyone can pay attention, but it's up to them if they want to keep paying attention.

This was lovely. I hope you come back and write the sequel implied by the title.

I had a wonderful time reading! The ending was great! But also very sad. Thanks for the great story can't wait for the next one!

WS

I had to read this twice to re-live all the feels
Reminded me a lot of Unpack your heart by Phillip phillps

I don't know what I liked more, the story or the pictures. The pictures are beautiful and the story is exceptional! I'm really glad I found this story. Even though it made me sad it also made me happy.

Comment posted by xDHannibalxD deleted Jan 5th, 2015

Man, this was a great read. Kinda creepy and quite sad though.

I, uh, wouldn't call this a comedy. But what I would call this... well, of the 40 or 50 TwiLestia stories I've read, I think I would definitely call this one of the best. Maybe the best.

I was upset at first, but I kind of really like that the ending is vague. Usually Twilight is an Alicorn and they live happily ever after, or some she remains a Unicorn and Celestia remembers her fondly, or of course most just don't even mention it. But this one... in this one, no matter whether Twilight is still alive, still her her beloved, or is gone centuries hence, Celestia's love for Twilight is shown to be brighter than Her Sun.

Just as bright as the night in the Garden.

I really like your take on Twilight Sparkle. She has a certain perfunctory sense about her that most portrayals lack: rather than pining, she just wants the feelings to go away so she can get on with life. She introspects and acknowledges when her emotions are clouding her rationality without quite escaping her well-known neuroses anyway. And the constant miscommunication between her and Celestia reminded me strongly of Eternal or Composure, but with about 100,000 fewer words to get to the point.

And lest I forget, my boss knows the dankest dances and the gnarliest recipes.

Wow, that was magnificent. This is by far one of the best Twilestia stories I've ever read. :twilightsmile:

Dude you need to post more stories, your fic is so cool! I love it!

I loved this story! It is such a shame that the sequels never came.
I choose to believe that twilight ascended and is still with Celestia.

3203933
Replying to my own comment from... wow, I didn't remember it being that long ago, I'll need to give this a reread, especially since the site randomly decided to drop this from my favorites. I've read millions of words in the meantime, and even if I cannot at the moment recall the exact contents of this fic, I do remember that it was amazing.
It's funny that I wasn't into Twilestia big time back then. I mean, I still ship just about everything else as well but Twilestia has been one of my favorites ever since.

By and far, one of the best (if not THE best), sweetest, and wonderful romances I have had the great pleasure of reading. :twilightsmile:

BRAVO!

Login or register to comment