• Published 1st Jun 2013
  • 839 Views, 8 Comments

Black as the Driven Snow - Fairy Tail



Each one of the Mane 6 discovers different pieces of the puzzle as they try to weather the snow storm of the century.

  • ...
1
 8
 839

Prologue - The Fall of Ponyville is Paved with Good Intentions

The Crystal Empire - Summer


The noon sun put on a dazzling display as it danced and glittered among the crystal houses. A myriad of colors and sparkles filled the air as Scootaloo shredded the glimmering streets of the Crystal Empire, barely avoiding collisions with several ponies along her path. She sharpened her eyes and gave a smirk as she kicked her scooter off a crystal berry stand to catch some air before rounding the last corner. A purple and orange blur from the street, Scootaloo blew past the cries of, "Look out!" and "Watch where you're going!" from the crowd as she spotted Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom down the street. With wings flapping like a hummingbird, she pulled on the handlebars as the front wheel popped up, higher and higher. Her tail dragged on the pristine street as she went nearly vertical on the scooter, showing no signs of slowing. Her friends' smiles came into view as Scootaloo quickly shifted her flank and the entire scooter turned to the side. A loud screech filled the gaps of the bustling city sounds as she left a long, crude, black mark behind her. Scootaloo hopped off her wheels, pulled off her helmet, and shook her mane loose in the effervescent sparkles of the crystal sunlight. "Alright girls, what have you got?"

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom dug through their school packs as Scootaloo reached under the padding in her helmet. Each one pulled out a couple hoof-fulls of stones and crystals of varying sizes and types. They each lay out a pile at their hooves and inspected each other's treasures. Each filly could hardly stand still as their eyes darted back and forth from each stockpile, to the other crusaders, and back. Every few seconds, one of the young mares would kick at her pile for a moment, pushing the stones around, revealing the lower layers.

"Alright, I suppose I can go first if ya'll want," said Applebloom, breaking the tense silence. The others gathered around her pile and began examining her haul. With curious eyes and puzzled looks, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo tried to make a judgement on the quality of her collection.

"Well, I definitely don't think there's anything special about these rocks," said Scootaloo, swiping almost half the pile to the side.

"Now wait just a minute! What about this purty, little, red one here?" argued Apple Bloom, pulling out one of the larger stones.

"What about it? Rocks can be red. Big deal," answered Scootaloo with a shrug.

"Most of these aren't even nice to look at!" complained Sweetie Belle, sticking out her tongue to an oblong shaped, spotted stone. "Gems are supposed to all be pretty, I think."

"I thought it was okay," said Apple Bloom, kicking at the ground.

"Barely any of these even sparkle," Sweetie Belle continued, picking at individual stones and tossing them behind her.

Apple Bloom was left with less than a dozen tiny, but bedazzling, pebbles. She gave a quivering, half smile to the others and said, "Well, I didn't do too bad," and immediately shifted her gaze to Sweetie Belle. "And how about you, Sweetie Belle? What did you find?"

Sweetie Belle felt her cheeks get hot as she sheepishly stepped to the side, revealing her large piles of dazzling crystalline stones. She alternated between giving an excited smile and a nervous, open mouthed gaze. Neither of the others even walked over to her pile. They simply shook their heads with exasperated sighs.

"Come one Sweetie Belle, you know those can't count," Scootaloo said.

"Huh? Well why not?!" she asked. She spread her front hooves out and took a more defensive stance. "These are gorgeous!"

"Because those things are er'where!" answered Apple Bloom. She swiped her hoof toward the buildings and street that still held on to glittery splendor. "It just ain't fair to compare those to mine." Apple Bloom bitterly looked back to her pitiful pile.

"Yeah, do you really think you can get a cutie mark in crystal hunting if you take the easy way out?" Scootaloo asked, "It isn't exactly 'hunting' if you can find them anywhere you look."

"Wha... well what about you, Scootaloo?" said Sweetie Belle. She walked over to Scootaloo's pile, kicking over her own as she walked past.

Scootaloo rubbed her hoof on her coat and inspected it while the other fillies walked to inspect the remaining pile. Her collection was much smaller than the other two, but was majorly more of the same. Sifting through, with the occasional, "no" and "not this one," they shortened the already lacking pile.

"Huh? What's this?" Sweetie Belle said. She wiped a few stones out of the way and pulled out a hoof-sized, dark mineral from the worthless rocks. She gasped as the midnight colored ore seemed to almost pull in the sunlight around it. She could clearly see her own reflection in the depths of the stone, but as it hit the light, it almost seemed to show enchanted swirls from its depths. Her eyes got lost in it as it almost seemed she was watching herself, trapped in the stone itself, as the facets around her reflection seemed to hold her in.

"Oh, I see you found that one," said Scootaloo. She was beaming as she trotted closer to Sweetie Belle. Apple Bloom dropped the stones in her hoof and they scattered on the ground as she approached the beautiful ebony in Sweetie Belle's hooves.

"Now, I'd say that's a winner!" said Apple Bloom, looking back at Scootaloo with an excited nod. Scootaloo was giddy as she clicked her hooves on the ground with a wide smile. She turned to the side and exposed her flank.

"Well? Well?" she asked. She was almost hopping in her place as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle closely examined the space on Scootaloo's flank. After several seconds, she could see both of her good friends look down and shake their heads.

"Oh. Well that's okay," said Scootaloo, "I mean, who wants a cutie mark that looks like a rock anyway?" She gave a half cocked smile as she pushed around her rejected stones. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle exchanged watered down looks.

"Well, I don't know. I really like Princess Cadence's cutie mark," said Sweetie Belle. Apple Bloom immediately shot a cutting glare at her and narrowed her eyes. "I mean... it's okay, I guess," Sweetie Belle said.

"What do y'all wanna do now?" asked Apple Bloom.

"It's been a while, we should probably head back to the palace," answered Sweetie Belle.

"Yeah, we don't want to keep Rainbow Dash waiting," said Scootaloo. She picked up her scooter and walked it over to the others.

"Of course! Rainbow Dash shouldn't have to wait for us," said Sweetie Belle.

"I know Applejack will probably start looking for us soon, too" added Apple Bloom.

"We definitely don't want Applejack to start worrying about us," said Sweetie Belle.

The others shot a look to Sweetie Belle, raising one brow. "Oh, and Rarity will be there, too," she said with a weak grin. Sweetie Belle tucked the mesmerizing new treasure into her saddle bag. "Let's go, girls!"


"No, no, no!" said Rarity. She slapped a hoof against the palace floor with each word. "The floral archway goes in the front! Do you really expect the guests to arrive under the banner?" Rarity began pointing feverishly around the meeting hall. "Not to mention the tapestries aren't hung yet, nor have the floors been properly cleaned..." Rarity lifted her hoof and looked at it with squinted eyes and scrunched nose.

"You know what?" said Rainbow Dash. She struggled the shift her end of the archway off her shoulder. "Why don't you move it, then?" Rainbow tossed down her end, and a loud crack resonated within the crystal hall. Applejack, who had been helping hold the arch, felt her legs catch fire as her knees began to wobble. The arch began to tilt, and Applejack's eyes went wide as she shakily took several stides to balance it, letting out heavy breaths with each step.

"Rainbow!... this ain't funny... help me with this thing," said Applejack. Each word fell clumsily out of her mouth as her eyes searched between Rainbow Dash and the dangerously swaying arch.

"Why can't Rarity help? She's the one who has to get it just perfect!" Rainbow said. She scoffed and turned her head to the side, arms crossed.

Suddenly, a loud, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee" grew from the other side of the hall as Pinkie Pie was riding on a getaway punch bowl toward the quarrel. The bowl shifted to one side, and Pinkie took a tumble out of the bowl, rolling twice before landing on her hooves. Balloons, streamers, confetti, and various party favors scattered out from Pinkie's saddle bag. Rarity dropped her jaw and placed a hoof to her temple. "Silly Applejack! You don't need Dashy's help, you've got me!" said Pinkie.

"Great. Ya know, I don't care! Somepony help me!" Applejack said. She was now clenching her teeth to the breaking point.

"Okie dokie lokie!" said Pinkie. She danced around the floral construction and began to ravenously tie balloons all along the side once held by Rainbow Dash. "There! Now it will be light as a feather!"

Applejack's knees finally buckled and gave out under the weight. She fell to the ground and kicked off the arch, getting out from under its path. An echoing "Timber!!" from Pinkie shook the foundations before the large party craft crashed onto the ground. Each pony covered her ears with her hooves and shut her eyes tight until dead silence lingered in the room. The archway lay among the mares, split in three parts. The piece with Pinkie's handiwork began to slowly take to the ceiling as the gleeful pony erupted in a fit of laughter, even falling on her back to watch it climb higher and higher.

"Rainbow Dash! How could you leave Applejack to hold that thing alone?" asked Rarity.

"Me?! What's wrong with your hooves?" said Rainbow Dash.

"I'm sorry, did you just get a hooficure? I didn't think so, you see-"

"If you're going to be so picky about everything, then you have to do the work yourself,"

"The brains behind the operation should hardly resort to such... heavy labor."

Applejack rose to her hooves and shook off some loose glitter, but it clung on around her face. "Now listen here," said Applejack, "that don't matter too much. But when y'all saw I was in trouble, y'all shoulda helped me."

"Hey! I did!" said Pinkie Pie. She pointed her hoof to the balloon-tied flower decoration and stifled another laugh.

"Pinkie, I meant real help, not your help," said Applejack. She rolled her eyes.

"Let off her,she's just Pinkie Pie" said Rainbow Dash.

"You're right, I should. At least she did somethin'"

Rainbow Dash shot a poison look at Applejack.

"Stop it! Both of you! Just look what you did to my beautiful archway!" said Rarity. She took quivering steps toward the crumpled mass of lattice.

"Forget your archway! I could've gotten hurt!" said Applejack. She kicked her back legs and snapped a new piece off the structure, and Rarity let out a high pitch squeal. "It's fake anyway! This was just gonna be a practice set up for the Equestria Games welcome party."

"Oh yeah, and who's bright idea was that anyway?" said Rainbow Dash.

"It was my bright idea, Rainbow. And what in Equestria is all the commotion about?" said Twilight, walking into the hall.

"Why did we need to practice setting up a party?" Rainbow asked, "Pinkie's already thrown hundreds. I think she can handle it."

"Well this party is really important, so we need to make sure this is done right." said Twilight.

"Hey!" said Pinkie, "My parties are done right! They're better than right! They're... fun!"

Twilight gasped and took a step back, "My parties can be fun." She then scanned the splintered wood at her feet. "But anyway, what did happen here?"

"Oh, Applejack dropped the arch," said Rarity.

"Excuse me?" asked Applejack, "I recall askin' for help."

Rarity and Rainbow Dash immediately lifted a hoof to one another, shouting out reasons why the other was to blame. This, along with the occasional, "I did help," from Pinkie Pie and "It's all y'all's fault" from Applejack, the entire meeting hall was exploding with incessant noise. The mares didn't even notice Fluttershy had entered the room in attempts to calm everyone down.

"Um... could you guys calm down some? I mean, if you can," Fluttershy said for the third time, hanging her head low and drawing invisible circles on the floor with her hoof. "Well, it's just the animals can't... well... I don't want to be a bother," she continued. The racket grew and grew as each pony tried to talk over the next. With each second, Fluttershy grew more agitated as she started shifting her weight from side to side and clenching her teeth. "Oh, please girls, think of the animals," she said. Her eyes peered through the open walkway that led outside where she saw a quartet of birds flinching at each word and stretching out each wing. "No no no... stop, please..." Fluttershy said. Then, the birds released the perch and erratically flapped their wings as they began to soar high into the sky, away from the booming voices.

"STOP!!" Fluttershy screamed. She reached out a hoof in vain at the vanished, singing birds as the hall fell dead silent. "Oh! Look what you've done!" Fluttershy dropped to the ground and laid her head on her hooves. "It'll take them hours to get up the nerve to come back."

"Well I'm sorry, Fluttershy," said Applejack, "but what were ya doin' with those birds anyway?"

Fluttershy cut her eyes with pointed brow at Applejack, but instantly softened her gaze and broke eye contact. "Well, I thought a musical number would go well with the party, and..."

"You can't just bring those things inside like that, they'd just make a mess of the place," Rarity said.

"Just let her have the birds," said Rainbow, "it's never bothered you before."

"Well, about that," said Rarity.

"Okay girls, this has gone on far enough," said Twilight. A familiar glow came over her horn as the pieces of the broken arch were pushed into the far corner. "We're just arguing around in circles; it's getting us nowhere."

Applejack picked up her hat and tried to dust off the glitter before placing it on her head. "I think you're right, Twilight," she said, "so I'm just gonna go swoop up Apple Bloom and..."

"And what?" said Apple Bloom, peeking from behind the doorway outside. The ponies could then here a violent hiss followed by, "don't blow it!" as Apple Bloom was quickly pulled back around, out of sight.

Rarity cocked her head to the side, and Rainbow Dash slowed her wings to land softly on the crystal floor. They each scrunched their noses and opened their mouths in silence for several seconds.

"Sweetie Belle? Are you out there with Apple Bloom?" Rarity asked.

"Scoots? Is that you?" said Rainbow Dash.

The three fillies walked out from their hiding spot with heads hanging low. "I told you they'd catch us," said Scootaloo.

"Well I'd call that perfect timin'" said Applejack, trotting over toward the young mares, "Come on, girls, it's time to head on home."

"But wait, hold on," said Twilight, watching the others make their way outside.

"I think we're done for the day, darling," said Rarity without looking back.

"Yeah, we'll throw a great party without any practice," said Pinkie.

Moments later, Twilight was left standing in the hall among the fallen party supplies. "At least help me clean up..."


Two Weeks Later - Ponyville - Summer


Ponyville was cloaked by thick, dark clouds hanging high in the sky, blocking the oppressive, summer sun. Pegasus ponies zipped back and forth between Cloudsdale and the impending storm. The stockpile of gray clouds grew higher and higher with each pass of weather patrol. Rainbow Dash was furiously darting between clouds before her rainbow streak followed her down to Ponyville.

"Great! Of all the luck," said Rainbow Dash, racing among the houses and merchant stalls. Her eyes scanned the ground as she lifted up hay bales and carts to search underneath them. "Where did it go?" she said, scratching her head and biting her lower lip. "I just don't get it."


"Come on in, everypony! The party's about to start!" Pinkie hopped up and down in place as ponies filtered into the house.

"I'm curious, Pinkie Pie. Why are you throwing a 'Storm Party'?" asked Cherilee. She stepped to the side to let other ponies through the door.

Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing and looked up to the sky. "Well, I wanted to throw a surprise party for my friends, because we've been pretty busy lately, and I planned to have it today, but then I noticed it was going to storm, so I was going to cancel but then I realized a storm is a perfect time for a party, because that means everypony needs to stay indoors, and what's a better thing to do indoors than have a party!"

Cherilee gave a warm smile, "well that sounds like a swell idea, Pinkie."

Pinkie beamed at Cherilee before looking back up to the sky. "I'm sorry, but I need to hurry. I need to get my friends here before the storm starts!"


Rarity slowly set down some newly drawn patterns and pulled her glasses off her nose. She sat up with a big sigh and arched her back. She made her way to the open door to her kitchen.

"Alright, girls!" said Rarity, "I'm finished."

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo peeked up through a pile of rejected cloth they had tried to turn into a fort.

"Rarity!" said Sweetie Belle, leaping up through the fabric, "oh, when the storm starts, can we go play in it?"

"Yeah, we'll be storm chasers!" said Scootaloo. She made a gesture with her hands like she was snapping pictures.

"Cutie Mark Crusaders Storm Chasers!" both fillies screamed out.

"Now girls," said Rarity. She had leaned back from the excited yells and gave them a half smile, "I don't think that's such a good idea."

The two fillies gave a sigh of rejection as they plopped on the floor. After several seconds, Scootaloo looked up with a smirk. "Yeah, Rarity's right. We can't get our Cutie Marks without Apple Bloom. We'll find something else to do!"

"Oh! I think I have an idea!" said Sweetie Belle. She perked up and rose to her hooves.


The sound of chirping and chittering filled the air as Fluttershy casually walked to one of the collections of bird houses by the road.

"Hello little friends," she said, "come on out, let's head inside. This storm is going to be coming any minute." She rapped a hoof on the side of the post as several bird heads popped out from the houses. The birds took off and flew into Fluttershy's open door. She took a breath of the hot, summer air and made her way over to a collection of small holes in the ground.

"Hello my little critters," she said, "let's get you safe and sound away from the storm." Snakes, rabbits, moles, and more slid out of the holes and began making their way inside. Fluttershy took a few more small steps before glancing up at the clouds.

"Oh my! I better hurry if I'm going to get them all in time," she said. Fluttershy quickened her pace as she began to wander closer to the forest edge.


Spike struggled under the huge pile of books in his claws. As he neared Twilight, he pushed the books out of his hands and let them scatter among Twilight's already impressive pile of books. He sat on the ground and began to fan off some of the sweat on his face.

"I can't wait for that cool rain," said Spike. He looked longingly out the window and could almost see the waves of heat. "Can we take a break?" asked Spike. He wiped some sweat from his brow and took in a deep breath.

"The Princess said she has a big assignment for me, Spike. I need to make sure I'm prepared for anything," said Twilight.

"Last time you studied like this, you were sent to the Crystal Empire."

"True, but it can't hurt to be as prepared as possible."

"I guess," said Spike. He made his way over to the window.

"Any sign of Rarity out there, Spike?"

Spike scanned the graying scenery before looking back to Twilight, frowning. "I don't think she's going to make it," said Spike.

Twilight looked up from her books and blinked several times. "What do you mean? Why?"

Spike turned back toward the window, "well, I'd say it's because-" the sound of thunder blasted through the library. "of that," Spike finished.


"Alright, that about does it," said Applejack. She hammered down an anchor with her hoof and plucked at the taught rope holding a branch in place. "This'll keep these trees up during this storm." A hot, harsh wind began tearing through parts of the orchard, but the trees stood their ground.

Big Macintosh walked beside Applejack, observing her hard work. "Eeyup." He nodded and turned back toward the house.

"That's a relief, I didn't think we'd get everything done before the storm," said Applejack.

"That was a lot of work," said Apple Bloom, skirting alongside her.

"I couldn't have done it without you," said Applejack. She gave a wink to her sister and began pulling on the front door. The door creaked open just as a single flake of snow fell on Applejack's nose.

"What in tarnation?" She lifted her gaze to the sky and saw a torrent of snow flakes descend upon Sweet Apple Acres. A frosty chill replaced the muggy heat as her eyes went wide and she frantically turned toward Big Mac. "Wha- what's happenin'?"

Big Macintosh looked up to the snow and hung his head low. Apple Bloom reached her hoof into the snow and began to shiver in place.

"Come on, y'all!" said Applejack, "we need to do what we can to save this farm! Let's go!"

Author's Note:

This story is going to include chapters that focus on each of the Mane 6 during their own struggles in this mess. Each part will include certain facts where the whole story will be revealed when all the chapters come together. I figure this will take quite a while to get all the planning out, but I promise to work really hard to get these chapters submitted before too much time passes.

Once again, I welcome and encourage all criticism. I can only grow and develop as a writer if I can find the weak points in my writing and find ways to strengthen them. Thank you for taking the time to read my work!!