• Published 24th May 2013
  • 11,510 Views, 592 Comments

Under the Sun's Wings - Foxy Kimchi



A changeling is forced to make a life changing decision.

  • ...
45
 592
 11,510

1: Shattered Dreams

From the diary of Honeycomb, a worker of Queen Chrysalis’ hive.

Dear Diary,

I finally did it! After much begging and pleading with my superiors, I finally got to meet Queen Chrysalis herself! I then begged her to let me be part of the invasion. I am just a simple worker, not a soldier or infiltrator, so of course she denied me.

But I was determined. I’m not strong, nor will I ever be a hero. I can never be a legend, but that does not mean I can’t be part of one: something that will be remembered forever. I want to be there when we changelings stand victorious over Canterlot.

My show of determination must have worked. She was skeptical at first, but she ultimately agreed. I will be her personal courier and assistant during the invasion.

Even though I will merely be sending simple messages, I’m so excited! I have never left our borders until now; I have never even seen a real-life pony face to face. All that will change, thanks to the generosity of our Queen. I will not disappoint her! I will bring you along with me, so that I can write down all the details of our victory. I cannot wait to stand victorious by her side. Now, I can really be part of the story, a story where we are triumphant!


Honeycomb's chest heaved as she coughed violently, splattering the dirt in front of her with blood. Looking around, through her tear-filled vision, she spotted her satchel lying on the ground; it was tattered but still intact. “W-what happened?” she groaned.

She began to push herself up, only to collapse face-first into the dirt when her right foreleg didn't obey. Honeycomb lifted her head to look, only to gasp in horror at what she saw. Her leg hung uselessly by her side, connected only by a twisted mess of flesh. Honeycomb screamed.

Closing her eyes, she turned her head away from it. Wanting to get her mind off the mutilated leg, Honeycomb tried to piece together how she ended up in such a wretched state. She remembered hearing an explosion, and when she turned around to see what it was, all she saw was a wall of violet before everything faded into darkness.

“No no no no!” she cried out as her eyes flew open. “This isn’t real! We couldn't have lost! Queen Chrysalis won! She beat their leader! I saw it with my own eyes! This is a bad dream, wake up, dammit! This can’t be real.”

Her eyes darted around everywhere except near her leg. Not recognizing her surroundings nor seeing anyone that could help, she began to hyperventilate. “I don’t want to be crippled! I don’t want to lose my leg. I just can’t!” Tears started to pour from her eyes. “Queen Chrysalis, help me,” she sobbed weakly. “Please help me, I’m scared, a-and I don’t know where I am. Chrysalis, my queen, help me...”

Minutes passed, and no help came. Honeycomb continued sobbing to herself, her eyes shut tight so she could avoid seeing her leg again. “Please,” she cried out. “Help me! Someone—anyone, please help me...”

“I hear something!” a voice called out. “It’s this way. Over here!”

“Is someone there?” Honeycomb responded in a trembling voice, swiveling her head to desperately find her savior. “Please help me!”

She heard some rustling in front of her. Her pupils shrunk as a light-brown male unicorn, wearing a large white coat and a pair of saddlebags, walked out from behind a tree.

“I found it,” he announced while slicking back his mane. He adjusted his glasses as he stared down at her with an expressionless face. Honeycomb let out a loud whimper as she saw two more ponies: unicorns wearing the armor of the Equestrian Guard.

“It seems that we have found a live one, gentlecolts,” the unicorn with glasses remarked. “A live one with a grave injury.” His horn glowed as he lifted off his bags and placed them on the ground behind him. He turned around and began to rummage through his bags. “All right, we need to hurry; we have our orders.”

“W-what are you going to do, what’s going on?” Honeycomb asked, her eyes darting from the two guards staring at her with blank faces to the other unicorn digging through his gear.

The unicorn stopped and turned back around to look down at Honeycomb, a surgical mask over his muzzle. He answered softly through his mask, "Nothing to worry about, little one.” His horn glowed as he levitated a small vial, containing a green liquid, and a large syringe with a long needle in front of him. His attention turned from Honeycomb to the large syringe in front of him, filling it with green fluid from the vial quickly but carefully. He then tapped the syringe with his hoof, removing any air bubbles. Once done, he looked back down and pointed the needle towards her. "It would be better if you didn't move."

Honeycomb’s heart began to pound. “No! I don’t want to die!” She tried to push herself up with her intact limbs, struggling to escape.

“Dammit, this is not good,” the unicorn muttered through his mask. “She’s becoming hysterical. You two, hold her down. Make sure she doesn’t move her neck or limbs.”

Honeycomb cried out again as she was pinned down by the two guards’ magic. Honeycomb stared helplessly at the unicorn looming above her. “Please don’t do this...” she whimpered.

The unicorn gazed down at her, his expression hidden behind his mask. He turned around for a second as he grabbed a large white rag out of his bag. “It would be best,” the unicorn said as he held the rag in his forehoof, “if you didn’t watch.”

Honeycomb wept uncontrollably as the rag covered her eyes. “Please don’t kill me!” she wailed. “I’m sorry! I’m very sorry! I don’t want to die, please spare me! I was just a messenger! I didn’t actually do anything!”

“Relax, little one,” the unicorn replied softly as he gently placed a hoof on her neck. “I’m not trying to kill you.”

“Y-you’re lying!” she shrieked.

“Well, it seems like I can’t say anything to make it better.” The unicorn sighed. “Regardless, I think it’s only fair that I mention this is going to sting slightly. So brace yourself.”

Honeycomb’s response was cut off by a gasp as she felt a pinch in between the chitin plates of her neck and chest. Afterward, the piece of cloth on her face was removed. Feeling her body go limp as her heart rate and breathing slowed down, she looked up at the unicorn through her drooping eyelids. "I don't want to die..." she mewled weakly, tears flowing from her eyes.

“Don’t worry, little one,” the unicorn replied softly. “Everything is going to be okay.”

A small whimper escaped Honeycomb as her eyelids finally closed.

Author's Note:

This story will contain a character called Solaris instead of Celestia. I know that it is a large change, but here is a detailed explanation on why I did it. Some historical and major events in Equestrian history will remain mostly the same, while others will be different.

Thanks to amactia and Kevinltk for editing.

In addition, thanks to Elric of Melnipony and theRedBrony for proofreading.