• Published 24th May 2013
  • 2,731 Views, 37 Comments

Raising Harmony - starshine_dash



After seeing Trixie's powers with the Alicorn Amulet, Twilight decides to try the age-reversing spell herself.

  • ...
 37
 2,731

Chapter 1

Twilight hurled another book across the library’s main room in frustration with a loud cry. Fourteen books in as many hours had come up empty as far as confirmation on what Trixie had performed while under the influence of the Alicorn Amulet. There existed plenty of theory and formulae on the possibility of such spells existing or being performable by somepony with a sufficient reserve of magic. Unfortunately, the only ponies in existence who would have been able to perform them were also alicorns, so the data would have been skewed.

Grumbling, she took another book from the pile near Spike as the dragon slept away the night. He had been a good assistant while he could remain awake, but once he fell asleep all he could do was snore. She looked over the title and felt her interest peak, “Alicorn Level: Training to Be a Goddess. Warning: contains spells not for use by unicorns whose talent is not magic,” she read out loud before flipping to the table of contents.

There, on the list of chapters, tables, spells, and indexes, was the spell she was looking for, “Age Reversion! Ha! I found it, Spike!” the unicorn said with a grin while shaking the dragon back to the world of the waking.

“Found what, Twilight?” her young charge asked with a yawn.

“One of the spells Trixie used during her little attack on Ponyville last week. The spell she used to make Snips and Snails into foals.”

“Oh, good for you, can I go back to sleep now?”

“Ugh! Fine, sleep. I’ll need you to be well rested tomorrow anyway.”

Spike nodded and curled back up into his bed, falling immediately into a dream about Rarity and gems. Twilight sighed and returned to reading the book, absorbing the knowledge contained within like a sponge.

The spell itself went on for three pages of complex runic diagrams, channeling techniques, and rough estimates as to how much power would be required. There was nothing for the aftermath, save for a small number that would have lead to a footnote, had Twilight’s vision not been blurry from exhaustion and noticed it.

“Well, I think I can cast this,” she said, yawning widely as she looked out the window to see the sun just beginning to creep over the horizon, “after a few hours of sleep...”

Admitting defeat to the draw of her pillow, the unicorn curled up on her bed and dozed off. Her dreams filled with the practice of the spell as she used a lucid dream technique she had learned many years ago. When she woke a few hours later to the smell of waffles and coffee wafting under her bedroom door from the kitchen downstairs, she had perfected the technique.

After taking care of her morning ablutions, she trotted happily to the kitchen and greeted Spike, “Morning, Spike! Sleep well?”

“Yep, you?”

“What little I actually did was very restful, yes!” she answered as she levitated a coffee mug over to the pot of brown wonder, pouring herself a steaming serving before taking a seat at the table. Spike arrived moments later with two plates of waffles, one garnished with cinnamon and sugar, the other with powdered sapphires. After enjoying a tasty breakfast which filled her limbs and mind with energy, the librarian moved down into her lab, setting up the area with the diagrams she had practiced all night.

Spike came downstairs shortly thereafter with the book in case she needed it. She didn’t usually, he admitted, but it let him pretend he was useful when she was practicing a new spell. Taking a seat safely away from the massive interlinked spell circle she was weaving on the ground, the dragon watched intently, taking notes.

“Okay, Spike, I need you to take down a letter to the princess.”

“A letter?” he asked, already grabbing a clean length of parchment.

“Yes, just in case, since I can’t test this spell on you and I don’t think I should ask one of my friends.”

“Twilight, you’re rushing...”

“I know, Spike, but I want to get this done so it stops bugging me. I need to prove, at least to myself, that these spells can be cast without the use of that amulet.”

“Alright... I’m ready for the letter.”

“Dear Princess Celestia, If you receive this letter than the spell I was attempting to cast has gone haywire and I need your assistance. I found a book that records an age reversion spell similar to the one cast by Trixie Lulamoon while she was under the influence of the Alicorn Amulet. In the interest of public safety, I am casting a version of the spell that should reduce my age by one year. Given that I’m unsure of the actual effects of the spell, I have instructed Spike to send this if anything goes wrong. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Spike dutifully rolled the scroll and placed it next to himself, opening the book that contained the spell and reading what information his mind could process, “Why not cast it on me?”

“You’re so young anyway, and naturally magic resistant, I’m not sure it would have any effect.”

The dragon nodded and continued to read as Twilight began to channel her magical power into the circle she had created. The power built in low thrums along the artificial ley-lines as the room became lit by the glow. Her concentration fully engaged, she concentrated on the parameters of de-aging she had set. One year, enough that she would notice, considering she had lost much of the remaining Canterlot Fat she had borne to Ponyville for her brother’s wedding.

While she worked, Spike continued to read, eventually noticing the footnote notation that Twilight had neglected and flipping to the end of the book to read. The information was a little worrisome, but nothing that couldn’t be easily dealt with by the princess should the need arise.

It was at this moment he noticed five distinct hoofstep formations from the main floor of the library and his straining ears caught familiar voices. Under his breath, he began to mutter his wish that they not burst in and interrupt Twilight during the throes of a complex magical spell.

Her energy was reaching its peak, and she was pouring nearly all of it into the spell lines in order to work the magic contained within. Briefly, she worried if she would have enough as a few of the shapes flickered like a faulty lightbulb. A quick push and adjustment and they remained stable. Smiling, she was just about to finish the spell, the final formulae flowing into her horn when the basement door slammed open, drawing her attention to the five familiar mares standing in it.

“Oh no! Girls! Look out!” she shouted as the entire room was engulfed in white light and a hissing whine so high pitched it could barely be heard. Spike covered his eyes with a claw as the other reached for the letter he had written. His stomach dropped as he heard six female screams followed by several thuds. Blinking, he looked around at a sight that shocked him to his core. Twilight still stood, blinking and shaking herself to get her senses back while five foals groaned and tried to collect themselves at the base of the stairs. The foals bore striking resemblance to their friends.

Then it dawned on him, his mouth joining the caster’s as they both descended rapidly, “Tw-Twilight, what did you do?”

“The spell misfired! This is Not Good, not good!” she cried, levitating the book over to her as the foals began to move, four of them clustering closer to her while one began to look around.

Looking over the book, she noticed the footnote she had missed the previous night. Rapidly scanning to its location in the index, her face contorted in worry, “Warning: subjects may experience loss or corruption of memory to the point where they have no knowledge of who they are and may attach themselves to familiar ponies in an instinctual desire to restore their memories.”

She paused and looked down at the four fillies close to her. Applejack was buried beneath her hat, now huge on her tiny form. Fluttershy looked up at her with pleading eyes, “Momma? I’m hungry...”

Pinkie, mane flat with a soft scowl on her face, leaned over and bit Rarity, who seemed like she was about to cry anyway, “She bit me!” howled the seamstress as Spike was divebombed by Rainbow, who then made a beeline for the door to the main library. He gave chase, not wanting the filly to get loose in the library or worse, the town!

“There has to be a counterspell! There just has to be!” Twilight shouted in near panic as the dragon tore after the fleeing blue pegasus.

“Well hurry up and find it!” he shouted, disappearing upstairs.

Twilight looked around at her friends, Pinkie... no, Pinkamena, was sitting with her back to Rarity as the white unicorn bawled her eyes out. Applejack shifted the hat on her body, “Ah’m still a big pony!” she said with a smile. The butter yellow pegasus was still looking up at her with those pleading eyes.

“This is sooo not good.”

Comments ( 36 )

It's an interesting start. though I have to wonder just how it's going to play out beyond, "Everyone reverted to their normal age and memory."

this has promise but I think this chapter needs a rewrite but i will still like and watch to see where it goes,

2622884 because it's short, rushed, and lacks quite a few details to fill out the story.

i LOVE the idea but you didn't state WHY the friends were there, you also made it a big coincidence. didn't fill it in properly.

other than that it's just rushed through the idea

2623237

Mmm, a good point, well, I'll overhaul it this weekend and then hopefully be worthy of all these faves.

2622884 I guess the chapter seems a little rushed I think the rest of the mane six should of been changed in the next chapter and how twilight just found the age spell seems a little hard to believe. I think it twilight should of been that she has been studying the spell and wants to see if she is now strong enough to cast it would of made a little more sense.

Let the headaches begin. :facehoof:

lol, Twilight, why did you do that? you just doomed yourself to insanity. Also *sprays Pinkie with a spray bottle* No biting Pinkamena. *Pinkamena hisses at me and runs off* Ok, now I have to go find her before she turns somepony into cupcakes. Bye! *runs after her with a net*

2624161 i hope that net is made of Pinkonium, that the only substance that can contain her!

Fascinating.
Let shennanigans ensue!
Liked and faved, eagerly awaiting more! :twilightsmile:

2624601 *comes back with a sleeping Pinkie in a net* made of what now? It's just a very large butterfly net I found *Pinkie yawns cutely* D'awwwwwww

2627064 Pinkonium, its the only known substance that isnt affected by Pinkies fourth wall powers. nothing else has been found that can contain her...

2627092 *looks at teh net* I'm pretty sure this isn't made of that stuff. *shrugs* honestly, she was sleeping when I caught her

2627148 <glances at a clock> five...four...three...two...one... <Pickie suddenly wakes up, gasps, leaps into the air and disappears>

2627157 *smiles* I know how to catch her. *pulls out a cupcake* Who wants a cupcake? *the filly Pinkie reappears*
Cupcake!
Promise not to run?
Cross my heart, hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye
Good *gives cupcake. The filly squeals and eats. falls asleep* Isn't she just cute?

So it begins!
:rainbowwild:

2627212 well, if ur going to cheat...

Will reserve full comment until I see the mentioned overhaul.

However, please keep that Fluttershy moment.

Momma, I'm hungry...

That was so cute it stopped my heart.

Now we only need four brand new chapters and I would be fine! :trollestia:

D'awwww at Applej- wait, no, Fluttersh- wait, but there's Rari-- y'know what, I give up. D'awwwww to the whole story, all of them are insanely cute. Even Pinkie.
Liked and favorited!

Cute but the amount of coincidences and such kinda take away from the whole experience. Maybe consider rewriting and changing a few things, like the title of the book. Also, give a reason why they all came over, such as Twilight locking herself away for some time to research and her friends come over to snap her out of it.

2627212

I hate it when somebody solves a problem immediately after it happens... :ajbemused:

Before I even get to reading this I need to point out how funny the cover photo is, :rainbowlaugh: Pinkie Pie is priceless, and Twilight looks like Barney:rainbowkiss:

There's something wrong with Twi's poor face in that cover art. :rainbowderp:

2628583 not cheating, just giving her a treat.
yeah, it's not cheating you big meanie!
Pinkie, it is impolite to call names. say you are sorry.
I'm sorry..... *hugs you*

2642243 yes its cheating, ur not capturing her, ur bribing her into makeing a Pinkie Promise...

2642701 But I like cupcakes. It wasn't a bribe, I promise. *looks at you with cute sad eyes*

2642737 thats what makes it a bribe Pinkie, he gave u something u wanted in return for doing what he wanted u to. and dont bother trying 'the look' on me, i have hundreds of young dragons trying that every day, as such, im immune...

2642737>>2642791
Stop please.

2642801 as u wish <bows acceptance and takes off, heading back toward the dragon lands>

2642791 But I was really sleepy, and that net is comfy! Please don't be mad at Selena! *makes eyes cuter, becoming irresistable to everyone, even you, because she's Pinkie and can do anything she wants to*
2642741 (is this because of the RP?)

2642801 (sorry, kind of got carried up in it.)

It was good, but a lot of things really annoyed me. Allow me to counter them: Spike does not all asleep when there's work to do, and he never has to pretend to be useful.

“Yes, just in case, since I can’t test this spell on you and I don’t think I should ask one of my friends.”

She may as well just tell him he doesn't have any friends.

and may attach themselves to familiar ponies in an instinctual desire to restore their memories.”

I see them attaching themselves to one familiar pony and ignoring the dragon.

An interesting start though it feels a bit short.:pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment