• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 2,400 Views, 99 Comments

Derpy's Royal Delivery - Twiggles6



Derpy is sent on an important delivery by Princess Celestia herself. What could be so important that the Princess would need her. And why was this wall-eyed mare chosen in the first place?

  • ...
4
 99
 2,400

Departure

“You’re going away, mommy?” Dinky asked, looking up at Derpy with wide, glistening eyes.

“Oh, don’t make that face.” Derpy said, rubbing her daughter’s head. “I’ll only be gone for a little while.”

“But you said it’s far away!” Dinky said. “How far away is it?”

“I don’t really know.” Derpy admitted. “But the princess wouldn’t have picked me for this if it was too far for me. Princess Celestia looks out for all of us, and I know she wouldn’t ask me to do something I couldn’t handle.”

“I know you can handle it, mom!” Dinky said, pushing Derpy’s foreleg away. “You’re the best mailmare there is!”

“Well I don’t know about that.” Derpy said. “But I promise I’ll come back as soon as I can. Okay?”

“Why do you have to be the one to go?” Dinky asked. “Can’t the princess have the second best mailmare do it instead? I don’t want you to leave me alone.”

“Dinky, please understand.” Derpy said, kneeling down to be face to face with her daughter. “This is a very important thing the princess herself asked me to do. I can’t just say no.” Derpy said. “Besides, I wouldn’t leave you all alone. Sparkler will be here to look after you the whole time I’m gone.”

“But mom, I-”

“No buts.” Derpy said, gently covering Dinky’s mouth. “I promise you right now that I’ll be back before too long. Now come on. Let’s go to Sugarcube corner and get you something tasty!” She said, lowering herself so that Dinky could climb onto her back.

“Oh boy!” Dinky exclaimed. “Let’s get some cake!” She cheered as he jumped onto Derpy’s back and wrapped her forehooves around her mother’s neck.

“That sounds great.” Derpy laughed as she took off out the door and into the sky. “Besides, I’m starving!”

“Didn’t you eat the muffins I gave you?” Dinky asked.

“It’s a long story.” Derpy said, chuckling a little bit.


“Oh, you made that first muffin?” Pinkie Pie asked Dinky as the foal sat down at a table with her mother. “It was scrumdoodlyumptious!” Pinky exclaimed as she licked her lips and smiled.

“Yeah, but it was for my mom.” Dinky complained as Mrs. Cake brought over some cake for the three ponies.

“Enjoy, dears.” Mrs. Cake said before leaving the three ponies to their meal.

“Dinky, it’s okay.” Derpy said.

“But mom, they were special!” Dinky whined.

“I thought you said they were breakfast leftovers.” Derpy said with a light chuckle.

“Well… They were special breakfast leftovers?” Dinky said, obviously grasping for any straw she could reach.

“I’ll tell you what.” Derpy said. “If you really want, you can make more tomorrow morning. I’ll take them with me on my delivery, and I’ll definitely eat some this time.”

“Really?” Dinky asked. “You promise?”

“Of course I do.” Derpy said as she ruffled her daughter’s mane.

“Yay! You’re the best mommy ever!” Dinky said, reaching over and hugging Derpy.

“And you’re the best daughter a mother could ask for.” Derpy said as she returned the hug.

Dinky giggled a little bit before responding. “I know.” She said with a blush.

“Aww! You two are so cute together!” Pinkie said through a mouthful of cake. She swallowed her food before continuing. “I never really saw you two together before now, and I gotta say that it’s completely adorable!” She yelled as she threw her hooves in the air. “I swear I could just eat you both up if you were any sweeter!”

“Speaking of eating things up.” Dinky said, suddenly looking a bit confused. “What happened to the cake?” She asked, pointing to the empty plate on the table. Not even a crumb had been left.

“Hee hee. Sorry.” Pinkie Pie said as she stood up from the table. “Let me go get you another one. My treat.” She said as she zipped away, a little bit of confetti falling where she was standing.

“I know you said it would be a dangerous trip.” Dinky said with a sigh. “But do you think that there’s a chance I could go with you?”

“Out of the question.” Derpy said, shaking her head.

“But mom!”

“No!” Derpy said. “The Badlands are no place for a filly.” She said.

“The Badlands are no place for anypony though!” Dinky said. “Who could you even be delivering to out there anyways?”

“That’s not important.” Derpy said. “All you need to know is that I need to do this, and I will be back for you.”

“You won’t even tell me who the message is for though?” Dinky asked.

“I can’t tell her.” Derpy thought. “She’s worried enough as it is. I probably shouldn’t have even told her about the Badlands.” Steeling her willpower, Derpy focused both of her eyes on her daughter. “No, Dinky. It’s royal Canterlot business.” Derpy said. “Not to mention postal confidentiality.”

“Wait.” Dinky said. “What’s that last word mean?”

“Postal?” Derpy asked, blinking as her eyes went out of focus again.

“No, the one after that.” Dinky said.

“Please don’t make me say it again.” Derpy sighed. “I heard Mr. Sleet say it when one of the other mailmares went through somepony else’s mail. I think it has something to do with minding your own business, but I might be wrong.” She admitted. “Anyways, I’m sorry Dinky. I would take you with me if I could. But I can’t, so I won’t. That’s final.”

“Hey girls, what did I miss?” Pinkie Pie asked as she walked up with another plate on her back.

“Oh, nothing.” Derpy said. “Just some family talk.”

“And I think you missed the cake, too.” Dinky said as she pointed to Pinkie Pie’s back. The plate was empty, and there was fresh frosting around Pinkie’s mouth.

“Did I?” Pinkie asked as she looked back at the empty platter. “Oh, darn it all!” She exclaimed as she turned around. “I’ll be right back for real this time.” She sighed as she went into the kitchen. Derpy and Dinky just laughed at the pink pony’s antics.


“Are you okay with all of this, Dinky?” Derpy asked as she tucked her daughter into bed for the night.

“I still don’t want you to go.” Dinky said. “But I promise I won’t stop you.”

“Thanks.” Derpy said with a little chuckle. “I appreciate that. Just be good while I’m gone. I don’t want to hear about you causing Sparkler any trouble. Got it?” She asked.

“Not even a little bit of trouble?” Dinky asked, a smirk spreading across her features.

“Well, maybe just a little bit.” Derpy said. “But don’t tell her I let you.” She said as she ruffled Dinky’s mane.

“Yes ma’am.” Dinky said, giving her mother a short salute.

“That’s my little muffin.” Derpy said as she gave Dinky a little kiss on the forehead before moving to the door and turning out the lights. “No noise.” She said.

“No noise at all.” Dinky said as her mother closed the door. “No noise at all…” Dinky said again to herself. “That gives me an idea.” She said just before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep.


“Derpy, wake up!” A voice called from the bedroom door.

“Huh? What?” Derpy asked as she sat up in bed slowly. “Whozat?”

“It’s me, Sparkler.” The voice said through the door. “Wake up! Dinky made you breakfast!”

“Coming!” Derpy said, suddenly awake, alert, and very hungry. She made it out of her room in record time, almost falling over her own hooves along the way.

“Good morning, mom!” Dinky cheered as she greeted her mother with a hug. “I made you breakfast again!” She said with a wide smile.

“I know, and it smells great!” Derpy said as she returned the hug. “What did you make?”

“Oh, nothing much.” Dinky said as she and her mother separated. “Do you like waffles?”

“Yeah, I like waffles.” Derpy said with a nod.

“Do you like pancakes?” Dinky asked, moving closer and tilting her head.

“Yeah, I like pancakes.” Derpy said, smiling a bit.

“Do you like french toast?” Dinky asked, chuckling a bit.

“Yeah I like french toast!” Derpy exclaimed.

“Do, do do do, can’t wait to get a mouthful!” Pinkie Pie suddenly shouted as she poked her head in through the window. “Oh. Sorry.” She said with a blush as she quickly left the house.

“Okay…” Dinky said as she and her mother both wondered what just happened. “Anyways, I made a whole continental spread for you!” She continued after a brief shake of her head.

“Whoa!” Derpy exclaimed as she walked into the dining room. The table was absolutely covered in food. There were waffles, and pancakes, and french toast. “Oh my!” Derpy said, blinking rapidly. “You made all of this yourself, Dinky?”

“Well, not all of it.” Dinky admitted. “Sparkler helped a little bit.”

“Nah.” Sparkler said. “I just picked up the ingredients and mixed a couple things. Dinky’s the one who did all the real work.” She said, patting Dinky on the head. “She’s a natural chef if you ask me.”

“Aw, there isn’t anything special about me.” Dinky said, blushing brightly and looking down.

“Of course there is!” Derpy said, pulling her daughter into a quick hug. “No other pony can call themselves my little muffin.”

“Mom, just eat your breakfast!” Dinky said with a laugh. “You’re embarrassing me!”

“Okay, okay.” Derpy said, letting go of her daughter. “Let’s eat! I’m starved!” She exclaimed as she charged into the kitchen.


“Whew! That was great!” Derpy exclaimed as she walked out of the bathroom.

“Are you sure?” Dinky asked. “I think you got more on your coat than in your mouth.”

“That’s not true!” Derpy said, turning her nose up and walking by.

“Mom, how long did you need to shower to get all the syrup out of your mane?” Dinky asked, trying to suppress a laugh.

“Honestly, I think there’s still some in there.” Derpy said, laughing a little bit and flipping her mane backwards. “I should be okay though.” She said, mother and daughter sharing a laugh together.

After the short laugh, Dinky cleared her throat. “So, um. I guess you’re going soon, huh?” Dinky asked, looking down at the floor.

“Yeah.” Derpy sighed. “Where did Sparkler go?”

“She said she wanted to pick up a few more things since she’s gonna be sitting the whole house instead of just me.” Dinky said. “She left when you went to the shower.”

“Oh, alright then.” Derpy said. “Anyways. Once the scroll gets here from the princess, I’m gonna be on my way.”

“It actually already got here.” Dinky said. “It came in when you were still sleeping. I put it in the kitchen for you.”

“Oh! Thank you, Dinky.” Derpy said, hugging her daughter again. “I know you don’t want me to go, but thanks for being so good about it.”

“Well, I promised I wouldn’t stop you.” Dinky said. “Just make sure you keep your promise too.”

“Right. I promise I’ll be back to you as soon as I can.” Derpy said as she walked into the kitchen and saw the royal mailbag sitting on the counter. Made of fine white cloth, the bag almost seemed to shine where it sat. The side of the bag was embroidered with the same image as princess Celestia’s cutie mark. “Wow!” Derpy exclaimed. “This looks really nice!” She said as she put the bag’s strap over her shoulder.

“It looks really good on you, mom!” Dinky said. “Also, I left a little surprise in there for you.” She said. “Go on, take a look.”

“A surprise?” Derpy asked as she flipped open the mailbag. Inside, she saw three things. First, she saw the royal Canterlot seal fastened tightly over an as-of-yet unopened scroll. Second, she saw a ticket voucher good for one two way trip to the Crystal Empire and back. It’s what she saw next that truly caught her attention though. There in the bag, encased in a small plastic container, was a single, pristine chocolate chip muffin.

“Since you didn’t get to eat any of them yesterday, I thought I’d make you a big one today for your trip.” Dinky said.

“Chocolate chip?” Derpy asked, her wall-eyes going wide.

“Yep!” Dinky said, doing a little hop. “I think it’s probably my best work yet! And I put it in a plastic box to protect it while you’re flying. Also so the scroll wouldn’t smell like chocolate chips.”

“You know, Dinky.” Derpy said. “I’ve got a present for you too.” She said as she walked out of the kitchen and to her room.

“Really?” Dinky asked as she followed her mother. “What is it?”

“This.” Derpy said as she pulled an envelope off of her nightstand. “It’s an important delivery from me to you.” She said as she gave the envelope to her daughter.

“For me?” Dinky said.

“Yep.” Derpy said. “But you can’t open it until tonight before you go to bed. Okay?”

“Sure thing.” Dinky said with a nod. “Thanks mom.” She said as she hugged Derpy.

“Alright.” Derpy sighed as she reluctantly broke the hug. “I’ve got to go now. Sparkler should be back soon, so behave until then.”

“Alright.” Dinky said. “I’ll be good.”

“I know you will.” Derpy said with a smile. “Because you’re the best daughter that a mother could ask for.”

Dinky sighed and rolled her eyes, but blushed nonetheless. “I know, mom.” She said with a smile.

“Okay then, I’m off!” Derpy shouted as she launched into the sky, Dinky waving after her. Once Derpy was out of view, Dinky closed the door and went to her room.


“One ticket, please.” Derpy said as she approached the ticket booth.

“Certainly, madam.” The stallion behind the window said. “That’ll be ten bits.”

“Oh, I have this here.” Derpy said as she reached into her mailbag and produced the ticket voucher. “Here you go, sir.” She said as she passed the stallion the green and white slip of paper.

“Oh, now this I don’t see all too often.” The ticket worker said. “You must be going on royal business.” He said, looking over the mare in front of him.

“Yep!” Derpy said. “Princess Celestia herself wants me to deliver a message.” She said.

“Oh. Well I wish you the best of luck, then.” The stallion said as he took the voucher and passed Derpy a train ticket. “Here you are, ma’am. Enjoy your trip.”

“Thank you, sir.” Derpy said as she boarded the front passenger car and settled in for a long train ride.

"The train will be leaving the station in thirty minutes, everypony!" The conductor called. "Once again, thirty minutes until departure!" He exclaimed.

About twenty minutes later, no one noticed a mysterious pony stow away in the caboose.


“Dinky, I’m back.” Sparkler called as she entered the Hooves residence. “Sorry I took so long.” She said as she dropped off her saddlebag on the table next to the door. “I stopped to get some coloring books in case you wanted to do something like that.”

After getting no response, Sparkler walked towards the kitchen. “Dinky? You in here?” She asked as she poked her head in and saw nothing. “Dinky? Answer me please.” She said as she walked towards Dinky’s room, a slightly worried expression on her face.

“Dinky, come on. Quit playing around.” Sparkler said as she opened the door to Dinky’s room and peeked in. “Dinky?” She asked again as she walked in and found a note on the foal’s pillow.

“Dear Sparkler,

Sorry for slipping out, but I had to leave before it was too late. Please don’t worry about me. I know how to take care of myself. I’ll be back, and mom will be with me. See you then.

Love, Dinky.” She had punctuated the last sentence with a little heart, but that didn’t do much to quell Sparkler’s panic.

“Dinky!” Sparkler yelled as she galloped out of the house and began looking frantically in the general area. “Dinky? Dinky?! DINKY!!” She screamed to the sky as she collapsed to her knees in the front yard.


“Sorry Sparkler.” Dinky said as she ducked behind a crate in the train’s caboose. “I hope you find my note. I need to make sure my mom stays safe.” She said as she hunkered down and prepped herself for a long train ride.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone. Oh, look! It's the start of that adventure thing I put in the tags! Now how did that ever get in here? Meh. Oh well.

Sorry if the narrative seems to jump around too much in this chapter. Let me know if it's a problem, and I'll strive to remedy it in the next update.

Also the "No noise." bit was just a little something from my childhood that my mom and I would always do when I went to bed. Just thought I'd give the story a bit more of the ol' personal touch. Unnecessary information, I know. But something I just wanted to share.

Anyways, look forward to the next installment!