• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 1,133 Views, 19 Comments

Ponies of Interest - DJObscureBrony



In an Equestria where tech booms and crime soars, one vigilante duo looks to change that.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,133

Chapter 2: Top of the List

Daring and Fancy Pants stood in the silence, the only sound filling the air was the distant ambiance of the road and foot traffic on the Bucklyn Bridge above them. Daring stood frozen unsure how to respond. Here before her stood a rather wealthy looking unicorn who has been supposedly stalking her for Celestia knows how long and here he is offering her a job. Daring felt the urge to turn and fly off but she knew there would be questions left unanswered if she did. She took a deep breath, looked Fancy in the eye, and finally mustered enough courage to speak.

“You want me...to work for you? That’s why you have been stalking me?” Daring said as Fancy adjusted his glasses again.

“Well when you put it that way yes. That is why I have been watching you. I am in need of someone with your skills and expertise to better the lives of the ponies living in the city of Manehattan.” Fancy briefly paused to turn around, heading slowly over to a bench facing the river. Daring slowly followed Fancy, noticing the slight limp he had in his lower right leg, as Fancy sat down and looked out to the part of the city skyline not obscured by the suspension bridge.

“Well I’m all for helping the people and everything Mr. Fancy Pants but why do you need my help? I mean you seem like you can get info on anypony or everypony in the city.” Daring said standing next to the seated Fancy.

“While that is true Ms. Daring it is only information. Getting information is not the problem. Doing something with that information...” Fancy turned his head to look at Daring, another friendly smile crossing his face. “That’s where you’d come in.”

Daring’s eyes narrowed at Fancy. The nature of the offer started to sink in. He was asking her to be some sort of hired gun, hence why he was so interested in her military training and combat skills. “Oh...mercenary work eh? Let me tell you something pretty boy. I don’t know if you can see this but I don’t do that kind of crap anymore. Do you really think I’d go back to killing and ruining lives after what CAFO had to--” Daring was interrupted by Fancy’s hoof blocking her vision.

“Please spare me the details, I told you I already know exactly everything about you Ms. Daring.” Fancy lowered his hoof and levitated his glasses off of his face, using a cloth from his coat pocket to gently clean the lenses. “I know about the work you did for CAFO and the government. I know about the doubts you came to have about that work. I know that the government along with everyone else thinks you’re dead.” Fancy put his glasses back on before making eye contact with Daring again, the angered pegasus looked ready to kick his teeth in.

“I know that you have been trying to drink yourself to death for the past few months. I also know that you have been recently contemplating more efficient ways to do it.” As Fancy said that Daring took a step back. She didn’t think anyone else knew about that but herself. Her demeanor shifted from anger to curiosity.

“How did you know that about me?” Daring asked.

“Like I said Ms. Daring...information and knowledge is not my problem. I’m offering you a chance to do something with that kind of power.” Fancy stood back up and faced Daring. She kept looking at Fancy contemplating her options. She had no idea who this guy was or what his plans were. She could be walking into another CAFO, something she vowed never to do again. Thoughts raced through her head at high speeds, the several possible outcomes of the current offer putting her mind in a fog of confusion.

“Well Ms. Daring...are you interested?” Fancy asked. Daring took another deep breath and looked Fancy dead in the eye.

“Look. I don’t know who you are or why you are after me, but I’m done with that kind of work and I promised myself never to go back down that road ever again. Get somepony else to help you.” Daring then turned around and spread her wings ready to fly off towards the city. Before she could she felt a weighted object drop on her back. She looked behind her and saw a pair of saddle bags draped over her sides. Reaching one hoof into the left bag, she pulled out a rather large coin purse filled with gold coins. She looked at Fancy completely confused.

“I’ll take that as a maybe. For now there is 500 bits. That should be enough to get you a hotel room for about a week or so. I’ll keep in touch Ms. Daring.” As Fancy said this, Daring put the coin purse in the saddle bag and turned around flaring her wings.

“Yeah whatever.” Daring said as she took off from the ground, heading across the river and into the city. Fancy stared at her fly off into the steel and iron skyline as he walked back over to the car, the guard pony getting in and starting up the engine.

“Should we go after her sir?” The guard pony asked leaning his head out the car window.

“No leave her be. She’ll come to reason eventually.” Fancy said as he stepped into the car.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Daring walked into the hotel room closing the door behind her clutching an empty bottle of AppleJack Daniels between her teeth. She dropped her key card on the tablle, the card showing the logo of a hotel called The Celestian. While it was older than most of the modern and cutting edge hotels in lower Manehattan, The Celestian is still one of the more elegant hotels in the city. Daring whipped around the saddle bags off of her back onto the bed and started to sift through the right bag. She pulled out two items of clothing, a white button down shirt and a black blazer. Curious, she tried both on and they were an eerily perfect fit. What was more disturbing was that the blazer was fitted with several inside pockets and hidden holsters for weapons and knives. She looked down at the clothes before taking them both off and stuffing them back in the bag, as if trying to forcefully stuff out the memory of Fancy Pants and his offer.

Daring reached into the left saddle bag and pulled out an unopened bottle of AppleJack Daniels. She set it down on the bed before reaching back into the bag, pulling out the coin purse that looked to be all but emptied except for a handful of bits. She sighed and threw the purse back towards the saddle bag before sitting herself down on the bed, reaching over and picking up the unopened bottle of whiskey cider next to her. Daring slowly wrapped her hoof around the neck of the bottle and gave a quick twist, the seal on the neck breaking as the cap effortlessly twisted off. Letting go of the neck and allowing the cap to fall off, she stared down the long neck of the bottle, looking into her reflection in the golden brown liquor. Daring hated to drink. She didn’t want to drink. She hated the feeling of waking up day after day with what felt like a never ending hangover. But what she hated more was the memories that flashed before her sober mind. Memories of friends now gone. Memories of the living now dead. But what hurt her the most was the memories of love now lost. Tears welled up in Daring’s eyes, the memories ate at her emotions, slowly overwhelming her with an immeasurable feeling of grief that spread over her like an out of control wildfire. She couldn’t take it. She wanted it to go away. She couldn’t live with the sorrow, so she decided to further repress it.

Daring sniffled, let out a shaky sigh, and leaned her head back, putting the bottle up to her lips and chugging the cider. She chugged and chugged and chugged, not letting up for a second, letting the alcohol slide down her throat and into her stomach. Daring kept chugging the bottle, hungrily drinking every ounce and every drop of cider, the intoxicating power of the liquor slowly washing away the memories and putting out the wildfire inside of Daring’s head. She leaned her head back and kept chugging until the bottle was completely empty. Her head stayed back as her hoof slowly uncurled around the neck of the glass bottle, letting the container fall onto the bed. Not to long after, Daring dropped back onto the bed like a rock, her eyelids slowly closing. Her breathing slowed more and more as Daring laid her head back onto the soft pillows, her glazed over eyes finally closing. The fire inside her subsides as she goes off to a deep and restful sleep.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The command center shook as another shell from enemy artillery hit the nearby runway of the airbase. Outside were several pegasi in the air and on the ground, scrambling and fighting. It was a surprise attack, the Griffon army was on the assault, and worst of all it was at Airbase Alpha. Everyone on the base knew if they lost there, the Griffons had a direct shot at Cloudsdale. Inside the control room several pegasi were rushing around and taking information from several different monitors and radars. Maps displayed in the room showed several enemy forces converging on the base. It was complete chaos, and Daring was standing in the middle of it all. She was in front of a radar screen viewing the progress of the dots on her screen. They were getting closer to the center. Walking over behind her was Lieutenant Braveheart, a charcoal black pegasus with a steel grey mane cut at almost the same length as Daring’s.

“Corporal Do, status report!” He barked out at Daring.

“Griffon infantry just broke through the last tank line! They’re advancing to the base!” Daring turned around and looked Braveheart in the face with fear in her eyes “What are we going to do Lieutenant?!”

“Get a hold of yourself Corporal! You lose your cool here and you give the Griffons Cloudsdale.” Braveheart turned around and flew up above the consoles to draw the attention of every pegasus in the room. “Now listen up! I just got off the horn with the General. Reinforcements are on the way, but we gotta hold the line until then. I’m going to need every combat ready officer to abandon their current posts and get geared up. Our rally point is the south hangar, let’s get out there and give our friends some cover. Now let’s move it!”

With that, all the officers in the control room dressed in combat gear left their monitors and headed as quickly as they could to the door over to the weapon lockers. As they left, Braveheart landed and started to head past Daring and over to the back of the command room. Daring watched him and got up from her post, hovering off the ground to keep up with her commanding officer.

“And just where do you think your going Corporal?” Braveheart said as he turned his head slightly looking at Daring.

“I’m going out there with you. You are going to need all the help you can get.” Daring said before Braveheart turned around to face her, his brown eyes staring into Daring’s.

“Out of the question. You need to stay here and keep the command center running.” Braveheart said before walking to the office in the back of the war room, standing in front of his private weapon locker. As he grabbed his helmet and draped his assault rifle around his neck, Daring landed behind him infuriated.

“But you can’t do this by yourself! The CC doesn’t need me, your squad is gonna get outnumbered, I can help beat these guys!” Daring said as Braveheart looked at her again.

“We don’t need to beat them Corporal, we just need to buy all the time we can get.” As Braveheart said this he walked past Daring towards the exit of the command center. Daring quickly followed.

“Well let me help buy time. I am just as good a fighter as everyone on this base!” Daring said.

“Corporal...”

“You know that better than anyone else! You know it and I know it, you won’t survive until the cavalry comes!” Daring continued.

“Corporal.....”

“WOULD YOU JUST LISTEN TO ME FOR ONE SEC--” Daring was interrupted by a pair of strong hoofs on her shoulders.

“DARING...” Braveheart looked Daring in the eyes again. Daring was just about to cry. She suddenly moved forward and buried her head in his neck, letting out a few sobs. Braveheart wrapped his forelegs around Daring, gently patting the back of her head to comfort her.

“Please...I don’t want to lose you...not like this...” Daring said quietly between her sobs. Braveheart backed away and looked her dead in the eyes, his hoofs still resting on her shoulders.

“You won’t. Keep it together and keep this station running or else all of us will be lost. I’ll be back. I promise.” Braveheart said before pulling Daring into another embrace as their mouths connect. Daring slowly closes her eyes, tears running down her cheek, as the two hold the loving embrace for what feels like an eternity. Another nearby explosion sends more shock waves over the command center as Braveheart slowly pulled away and walked out the exit. Daring stood there and watched. Her body locked up as she watched her commanding officer and lover walk out the door. She wanted to go after him, kiss him again, just one more time, make it last forever so she wouldn’t have to see him go. But all she could do is stand there and watch him go out the door and into the heat of the battle outside, never to be seen alive again.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Morning. The first rays of Celestia’s sun entered and filled the hotel room, its bright shine casting a bar of light over Daring’s eyes through one of the gaps in the window shade. Daring stirred in her sleep, her legs splayed out and almost limp, as she brought one hoof up to shade her eyes from the harsh sunlight. The ambiance and silence of the room was broken with the loud, harsh ringing of the phone on the nightstand next to the bed. Daring blinked a few times adjusting to the light as she moved her hoof to answer it but was stopped. Her left hoof was snagged on something. She turned her head to see what it was snagged on and saw that it was restrained by a strip of nylon rope tied around her hoof. Her eyes shot open as she tried to free her hoof from the rope, but whoever put her hoof there in the first place tied the knot good. No matter how hard she struggled, she couldn’t get her hoof free. She looked over to the ringing phone and reached her free hoof over to pick it up.

“Hello?” Daring said as she kept trying to free her hoof.

“You need to understand things Ms. Daring. I didn’t want to do this but you need to know what it’s like to be forced to listen to somepony get murdered and not do be able to do anything about it.” The voice on the other end of the phone was Fancy Pants.

“What?!” Daring shot up in the bed and looked around the room.

“I would hurry if I were you.” Fancy said as the receiver clicked and the line went dead. Daring pulled the phone away and hung it up before the sound of a loud scream came out from the room next to Darings. Her attention shot to the door connecting the two rooms together as more loud screams and pleas for help leaked out.

Daring sprung into action, getting up on the bed and tugging on the rope. After all attempts of forcefully ripping the rope off failed, Daring bit down on the knot and started to untie it. The screaming in the room became more desperate and loud, causing Daring to work faster. She frantically bit and tugged at the knot until finally it became loose. Daring pulled her hoof out and shot up into the air as fast as she could, throwing all of her weight forward and bursting through the door. The door fell off it’s hinges as she looked around the room, anticipating the worst. But what she saw left her speechless. It was Fancy Pants, sitting at the coffee table drinking a cup of tea as his hoof reached up to press pause on the tape recorder set on the table. The screaming stopped as Fancy set down his tea cup and looked over at Daring.

“Too late.” Fancy said as Daring landed on the table staring the unicorn down.

“You son of a bitch! Where is she?! What did you do to her?!” Daring looked ready to kick his teeth in. Fancy cleared his throat and levitated a newspaper off of the nearby bed.

“It’s not what I did, it’s what her now convicted ex fiance did 2 years ago.” Fancy held the newspaper in front of Daring with his magic, pointing her to the article on the front page. Daring read the headline ‘Star supermodel brutally murdered.’ She saw the date of the paper and, sure enough, the paper was dated August 20th, 1008. 2 years ago.

“The fiance was paranoid. He was under the impression that she was cheating on him with one of the photographers. The stress of the public eye and the tabloids eventually got to him. Her name was Fleur. She died right around the same time you were sent behind The Feathered Curtain to do CAFO’s dirty work.” Fancy put the paper down and looked at Daring. She was once again taken aback by all that this one unicorn has done.

“How...how do you do all of this?” Daring asked

“Ms. Daring I assure you I will answer any questions you have but first I need your help.” Fancy’s eyes seemed to stare into Daring’s soul as he put the paper on the table.

“I know what it feels like to be helpless. I know that from experience. I’m not just giving you another job. I’m giving you an opportunity to be there in time. Together we can prevent crimes like this. All I ask for is your help.” Fancy said as Daring sat down on the coffee table. She contemplated the offer again. She knows the feeling of helplessness all too well. Of all the things in Equestria she hated more than anything it was death and destruction. She looked at Fancy and took a deep breath. She finally gave in.

“Okay I’ll help you mister. But I want answers and I want them now.” Daring said as she got off of the table.

“Splendid. I will answer any questions you have as long as it’s not too personal. And please, call me Mr. Fancy.” Fancy said as Daring walked back into her room with Fancy in tow. “Come, walk with me and I can give you the answers you seek. You might want to put on the outfit I supplied you with. We wouldn’t want you to stand out in a crowd, especially with the MPD searching for you.”

Daring went over to the saddle bags and pulled out the button down shirt and blazer she found inside the bag last night. She put on the shirt, buttoned it up, and donned the blazer before following Fancy Pants out of the room.

“Well thanks again for the bits...and the clothes.” Daring said as she exited the room.

“The coat is an Armaneigh. I knew you would like it.” Fancy said as the door to the hotel closed and the duo walked down the hall to the elevator.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Center Park bustled with life, many different earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns spending their day out in the warm mid spring air. Ponies from all walks of life frolicking in the fields, jogging on the paths, or sitting on benches and blankets enjoying the beauty of the day ahead. Walking down one of the paths was Fancy and Daring walking side by side. Daring intentionally slowed her walk down in order to keep pace with Fancy’s rather slow walking pace caused by the limp in his leg. As they walked, Daring looked around at the park, observing the hustle and bustle of the several ponies in the park from the fit and determined joggers to the little fillies and colts playing on the nearby playground.

“So Mr. Fancy. Just how are you able to get all your information?” Daring asked.

“Look up to the lamp post to your right. What is that?” Fancy said as Daring shifted her attention to the lone street lamp hanging above a park bench. Mounted underneath was a small camera barely the size of her hoof fixed to watch the path ahead of them.

“It’s just a security camera. Those are in every park, it’s to help deter muggers.” Daring said as she turned her attention back to Fancy.

“And where do you think the feeds to those cameras go Ms. Daring?” Fancy looked at Daring raising an eyebrow.

“Umm...police?”

“One would assume that. What everypony doesn’t know is that those cameras feed to something much bigger than you think.” Fancy said this as he turned his attention back to the path ahead.

“So they all feed to one place?” Daring looked at Fancy curiously as he nodded.

“A machine. A machine that is run by the government that spies on everypony. Every hour of every day the machine spies, records, and analyzes the calls, letters, transactions, and even conversations of every single pony in all of Equestria. It was built in secret and only a handful of ponies in the hierarchy know about it. The project is so underground and classified that even the princesses don't know it exists.” Fancy said.

“Well how do you know about it?” Daring tilted her head slightly as Fancy looked over at her.

“Because I built it.” Daring stopped in her tracks, mouth slightly agape in disbelief. Fancy stopped and turned around to face her, the expression on his face unchanging.

“You see Ms. Daring we both share some things in common. The concept of the machine was built some time after the first Griffon insurrection almost 10 years ago. I built the machine to monitor for any hidden acts of terror, to prevent another Battle of Cloudsdale from happening.” Daring winced slightly at the mention of the battle. Fancy continued.

“It worked. It worked far beyond my expectations. I designed it to pick out the terrorists from the public but the machine sees everything. It started seeing every single violent crime around Equestria. However, the crimes it was predicting were not relevant to what the government was looking for so they put them aside. They had the machine delete any threats that were deemed irrelevant to their investigations. Just like you I developed my doubts about my work and once I started questioning their morality I was cut from the project...and just like you, the government thinks I’m dead.” Fancy said before turning around to continue walking. Daring resumed and walked beside Fancy as they both took a turn to walk to the border of Center Park heading back into the city.

“So if you were shut out how do you still have access to the machine?” Daring asked.

“I created a backdoor for myself. The machine keeps picking up the crimes but what they do is they set it to delete the information to a hidden database. I use that to get myself into the machine.” Fancy and Daring were now walking on the border of Center Park, walking down the busy city street filled with several ponies running to and fro, running their independent agendas.

“So how do you tell which one to go after?” Daring asked as Fancy Pants let out a friendly smile as he raised his hoof up to hail a cab.

“Let me show you.” Fancy said as they both got into the back of the cab.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Fancy led Daring through the abandoned apartment building until they both reached a run out apartment room. Much of it was gutted except for the several book shelves and file cabinets lining the walls of the apartment. In the center near one of the windows was a computer monitor, several sticky notes lined the plastic borders. Directly behind it was a large tack board with several photos, slips of paper, and forms pinned to the board. In the center of the board was a long list of numbers, little bits of red yarn connected some of the photos to some of the numbers. Daring took a look at the board and noticed a pattern in the list. All the numbers were nine numbers, all of them in the same order. XXX-XX-XXXX. She analyzed the board some more before turning around to Fancy.

“These are insurance numbers.” Daring said.

“That is the list. I can’t get too close to the machine without being discovered so the machine gives me this instead. That list represents the ponies about to be involved in a violent and premeditated crime.” Fancy said as he sat down at the computer, bringing it out of sleep.

“Well how can you tell when its going to happen?” Daring looked back at the list.

“That’s the drawback. I can’t get the full picture so I get the next best thing. The list puts the possible crimes in order of occurrence. The crime could happen a week from now or 5 seconds by now and we don’t even know their role in the crime. They could be the victim or they could be the perpetrator.” Fancy said this as he went through an electronic file on the computer. Daring stood behind Fancy as she watched him work.

“All we get is nine numbers. I suppose nothing comes easy. Who is at the top of the list now?” As Daring said that, Fancy bought up the picture of a lavender unicorn with a dark blue mane and a pink stripe running through the middle of her hair.

“Twilight Sparkle. She is the assistant to the District Attorney and is currently working on a rather large prosecution of a mass drug killing.” Fancy said as he turned to look at Daring.

“Well let’s see. High profile case involving a mass killing off a drug deal gone wrong. If I were her I’d be watching my back for any friends of the dealer being prosecuted.” Daring said as she analyzed the dossier on the screen.

“Very astute observation Ms. Daring but we are going to need more information if we are going to proceed. Your best bet is to start tailing Ms. Sparkle and see what information you can find.” Fancy reached into a drawer and pulled out a cell phone and a penny sized ear piece. He levitated the ear piece into Daring’s ear while she took the cell phone and placed it in her jacket pocket.

“I’ll call you if I get any leads.” Daring said as she made her way to the door. Fancy stood up before she got there and levitated a picture from a nearby filing cabinet.

“Oh and Ms. Daring. Before you go, if you need any...equipment...there is this convenience store at the corner of 110th and 7th you should consider visiting. Who knows, you might meet an old friend while you’re there.”


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the back room of the convenience store was a meeting between a mix of seven different earth ponies all surrounding a table cluttered with weapons. Near the end of the table stood Shooter, his eyes scanning the table until they focus on the semi automatic sub machine gun. He breaks a little grin and reaches over, curling his hoof around the handle and lifting it off the table. He turns his gaze over to his father next to him as he holds up the gun in front of him.

“Hey pop, what do you think about this one?” Shooter said as the earth pony glared at him.

“Do you plan on buying that?” He said. Shooter looked around briefly a little confused.

“Uh...pops I was just--”

“Just put it back on the table before someone else kicks the cutie mark off your flank.” He said with annoyance in his tone as Shooter set the gun back down on the table.

“Excuse me does anypony know where I can find the restroom?” The conglomerate turned their attention to the door surprised. Standing in the middle of the doorway was Daring, a completely innocent expression plastered on her face as she turns her attention to Shooter. A smirk forms across her face as she mentally maps out a plan to gather the stash of weapons on the table.

“Oh hey Shooter. Good to see you again.” Daring said as Shooter’s father looked at his son, completely lost.

“You know this broad?” Shooter looked at his father and shook his head. He had no idea what was going on. Daring’s focus then shifted to the mass of weaponry on the table. Everything from sub machine guns to assault rifles to pistols were laid out neatly and ready for sale. She even spied a grenade launcher at the end of the table. Daring whistled before looking back up at the group of thug ponies.

“Man you guys got some serious equipment here. Did you take all the proper safety courses?” Daring said as she took a tentative step forward. As soon as she does, everypony in the room pulls out a semi automatic pistol from their jackets, aiming for Daring ready to gun her down. Daring backed up slightly before switching her attention to the earth pony directly next to her, clutching his pistol sideways.

“No no no no.” Daring said as she shook her head. “That’s all wrong! I mean look at you, your holding the damn thing sideways. You can’t aim it and on top of that it’ll eject the shell casing right into your face.” The thug raised his eyebrow as the rest of them looked around at each other in confusion.

“Like so” Daring immediately sprung in and grabbed the thug pony’s leg, turning it upward and forcing him to discharge the firearm, sending the shell of the bullet into the earth pony’s face. The rest of them ducked and backed away in surprise. Daring capitalized on their confusion and used the thug as a shield while she aimed the firearm and fired off shot after shot, each round hitting each one of the pony’s legs. The thugs were fearing death, but the shots Daring fired were to disable, not to kill. Some tried to fire back at Daring but they either missed their shot or were hit before they could react. Each of the ponies went down as Shooter tried in vain to get his pistol out of the holster draped at his side. Once the thugs around Shooter were down, Daring whipped the thug she used around behind her and threw him to the ground, discharging the last round in the leg. Daring turned around to see Shooter cowering against the wall, holding one hoof up as a silent plea for mercy. She smirked and tucked the pistol in her jacket. She then lifted a nearby duffel bag onto the table and put a military grade assault rifle and the grenade launcher into the bag, grabbing several magazines of ammo along with them.

“I’ll just hold onto these for a while until you guys get more practice.” Daring zipped up the duffel bag and threw it over her back. “Have a nice day.” She said as she departed the convenience store, leaving Shooter and the rest of the wounded thugs in shock.

“Who the hell was that?!” Shooters father barked at his son got his phone out to call the police.