• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 6,345 Views, 753 Comments

KIA - Darkswirl

  • ...
79
 753
 6,345

A Soldier 'Till The End

"We still do not trust it, 'Tia." Princess Luna said coldly as she trotted down the castle hall alongside her elder sister.

"Your concerns have been noted, Luna, but I feel as if it does not truly trust us, either. It knows we mean it no harm, but it still does not trust us." Princess Celestia replied, the last sentence mostly to herself.

As the two ruling sisters continued to trot through the castle in silence, each had their own worries and fears.

What strange feats was this beast capable of, moving so quickly in such a short amount of time?

What foul sorcery did it use when it rejected their magic, flaring itself golden for a moment and shocking the user?

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna shook their heads clear of any horrendous thoughts as they reached the end of their walk, stopping in front of a rather normal looking door before Celestia pushed it open and stepped through with Luna following closely behind.

The room they entered was anything but ordinary, what with Twilight having declared most of the floor space for her stacks of papers, inkwells, quills and books, Shining Armor was left sitting in a corner; watching the alien with an almost threatening glare.

Twilight, on the other hand, was as close to the creature as one could possibly be- breaking a few personal space rules in the process, but the alien didn't seem to be too upset by that.

"Good morning, Twilight. I feel foalish for asking, but have you even slept?" Celestia asked, carefully picking her way through a mess that would make Discord proud.

"Sleep? How could you suggest such a thing when there's an alien in the castle! An alien, princess! From another world! A world filled with more of them, and a society, and a history, and technology!" Twilight exclaimed excitedly.

Luna giggled a bit at the outburst, while Celestia simply smiled. "And what have you managed to find out about our friend, here?"

With that question, Twilight's excitement faded and was replace with a sad sigh. "Nothing... It doesn't seem to understand, or want to understand, any of my questions- verbal or physical."

"Physical questions?" Luna perked up, curiously.

"Well, I got the idea that it had no idea what we were saying, like a language barrier, so I started playing a game of charades. The alien didn't seem to understand any of them, though..." Twilight replied sadly.

"With all due respect, your majesties, Twilight never was good at charades." Shining Armor spoke up with a smile, causing Twilight to stick her tongue out childishly at her older brother.

Both Celestia and Luna shared a knowing, playful look before Celestia cleared her throat. "It's alright, Twilight. Progress cannot always be made in the first day. Would the two of you please step outside for a few moments? Luna and I would like to try something."

Giving a quick salute, Shining Armor began carefully picking his way through the mess and towards the door, while Twilight traversed the obstacle in one bound, thanks to her wings.

When the pair had left, Luna closed the door quietly and rejoined her sister in front of the alien- whose mask seemed like a mirror, reflecting the flames of the lanterns that hung from the ceiling.

In silence, both Celestia and Luna pulled off their crowns and set them in front of the sitting alien.

"Prehn-ses." Celestia said softly, pointing at her crown, and then to herself, as Luna did the same.

"Seh-les-tee-uh." Celestia continued quietly, saying her name slowly and carefully before Luna did her own.

When the creature did not respond, Princess Luna spoke up; producing a parchment with an old drawing of the moon on it and nudging it over to the alien. "Moon."

The creature took slight interest in this, looking down at drawing while leaning forward a bit.

"Sun." Celestia said as she added her own drawing alongside it.

The creature seemed fascinated with the drawings, now sitting on it's knees and feet as it held a drawing in both hand.

They had made a breakthrough.


Noble Six was getting bored of all of this.

First, it was the purple horse saying random, unknown things for a moment or two before staring at her with a creepy look, then hurriedly writing something which Six had no idea how to decipher, while the white unicorn gave her a look of death from the corner.

And now these two winged-unicorns were telling her that they were queens, or some other type of royalty.

I knew that by your fucking crowns, the first time I saw you. Six thought frustratedly.

When she gave no response, the dark blue horse pulled out a piece of worn paper from behind it, pushing it towards Six.

It was a faded drawing of a moon, complete with a few craters and several stars behind it.

"Mun." the blue horse said slowly, letting Six take it in.

Moon... Six thought slowly, sitting up a bit more to get a better view of the picture.

"Soone." the white horse added, pushing another drawing towards the Spartan. This one was a simple yellow circle over a light-blue background.

Sun. Six thought. The two most important celestial bodies that a planet needs.

Turning her gaze up towards the winged-unicorns, whose eyes filled with hope and anticipation, Noble Six slowly repeated what she had learned through her helmet; pointing at the dark blue horse first, and then the white.

"Moon. Sun."


"Did... Did it understand us, sister?" Luna whispered quietly to Celestia, who was on the verge of engulfing the alien in hugs. "It sounded nothing like what we said- all guttural and... Wrong."

"We must believe it understands, Luna. It may have different words for them in its own language, but it clearly understands what a sun and a moon are." Celestia replied with a smile. "Let us try something different, now."

Princess Luna nodded curtly to her sister, who reached behind herself to produce the strange black object that had been found with the creature; holding it in front of her own chest but not offering it to the alien.

Celestia gave a confused look while play-inspecting the object, ending the charade with a shrug before setting the object down next to her.

Luna made a mental note of how to creature tracked the object's every movement, rather than her sisters.

When the charade was complete, and the being sat staring at Celestia silently, Luna cleared her throat to catch it's attention before motioning towards a freshly inked quill and a sheet of paper.


She's going to blow her fucking head off. Noble Six thought idly as she watched the white queen twirl her weapon around as if it were a toy.

Six briefly wondered why she even opted to stay with these horses, before she remembered that she was lost in an unknown world with no idea what was safe to eat, what would kill her, or where to even go.

Giving a silent sigh and simply wishing to have her weapon back, the Spartan caught herself following her DMR's descent as the white queen set it beside her.

A cough caught her attention, and Noble Six eyed the blue queen suspiciously before she followed her hoof down, where it ended at a writing utensil and a sheet of paper.

They want me to draw it? No... They want me to draw what it does. Six realized as she grabbed the quill and moved the paper closely.

The Spartan stared silently at the paper for a moment or two, remember engagement after engagement with Insurrectionists and Covenant alike.

She remembered the recoil of her sniper rifle slamming into her shoulder, the satisfying ping of ejecting a spent shell casing, the smirk on her lips as a target went down...

She remembered the pop of a pistol, the chuck of a shotgun.

Weapons were her nature.

Stealth was her specialty.

War was her life.

And oh, how she missed it...


"Be patient, Luna. It's rude to peer over ones shoulder." Celestia said calmly as the creature before them began carefully etching a figure onto the paper.

Luna hadn't been able to help herself, being fascinated with the creature's understanding and hoping to steal glances at what it was drawing. Unfortunately, she had been caught by her eldest sister, once again, and 'educated' on the 'proper' thing to do.

Giving a little childish sigh at being told to be patient, Luna sat back on her haunches and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

When she snapped back into reality from her own imagination, Luna saw the creature put the quill down and stare at its work silently before Celestia cautiously dragged it away with the tip of her hoof.

As Celestia and Luna scrunched up together to see what the strange device could do, they found themselves staring at a masterpiece of horror.

The creature had been able to drawn an entire war with the quill, showing what Celestia could only believe to be itself with it's side to the viewer while it held the strange object in its hands.

Small little cylinders flew out from the end of the object like a spell from a unicorns horn, with great emphasis on speed based on the long lines from the end of the object to the small, thick cylinder.

Several bodies lay around the creature; some looking like it, while others appeared more gruesome and terrifying.

There were tall, bipedal beings that looked like their mouths had been blown open from the inside, along with several smaller, pony-sized creatures who had strange contraptions leading from their mouths to their backs.

Hideous creatures, and an appalling scene. Celestia thought grimly as her gaze returned to the alien; her own face reflected in its mask.

There was no question about it.

That object was a weapon, capable of killing hundreds.

And the being it belonged to was a soldier, capable of killing thousands.