• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 6,344 Views, 753 Comments

KIA - Darkswirl

  • ...
79
 753
 6,344

Foreboding Darkness

"Shining, what's going on?!" Twilight shouted in fear as she tore down the stairs, pushing through the squad of royal guards who had taken up defensive positions around the door of the alien's cell. "I heard the banging and crashing through the entire castle!"

"I don't know, Twily!" Shining Armor defended. "It just woke up and started attacking the walls! If we don't do something, and fast, it'll tear through it and out into the city."

"You can't kill her, Shining!" Twilight pleaded as Noble Six continued to scream her battle cry over and over through her tears; her voice muffled and faded through her helmet as he feet danced along the cold metal, scraping gashes into the workings.

"I'll have no choice, Twilight!"

"No, Shining, you can't kill her because she will kill you!"

"So you'd let this thing out into Canterlot to kill innocent ponies?!" Shining Armor shouted over the fray.

"And you'd throw yourself and your guards into a slaughtering machine?!" Twilight challenged.

"I'll do what I have to in order to protect Equestria!"

"THEN LET ME IN TO TALK TO HER!" Twilight screamed, tearing the guards' attention away from the rampaging alien.

The sound from the alien seemed to drown out as an uneasy tension grew between brother and sister; princess and captain, before the white unicorn groaned in anger and defeat, waving his hoof to call his guards back a bit.

"You have five minutes." Shining Armor spat as he unlocked the door to the cell.

"I'll only need three." Twilight retorted.


Out of ammunition, out of teammates, out of time, and out of weapons.

No, a Spartan was never out of weapons.

A Spartan was a weapon.

Noble Six panted in frustration as she threw out another kick towards the Golden-clad Elite, who gave a throaty laugh and easily caught her foot in its grasp, tossing her to the side.

It was playing with her, proving a point to any that watched that the Sangheili were better in every way than the best that humanity could throw at it.

The alien had long ago abandoned its energy sword to 'fight fair', in its own terms.

But a fight against a Spartan was never fair.

Eventually, Six knew she would reign triumphant over the alien, and send a different message to whoever watched, if anyone: one that said humans were worthy of life, and would fight to every last man, woman, and child, to protect everything they had.

So why was she losing?

Noble Six hit the ground with a thump and rolled a short distance, laying on her back and breathing deeply.

This shouldn't be happening, and she knew it shouldn't.

That was the only thing that kept her from submitting to what she knew was a false reality.

She felt her body going on and on in the real world, while her mind struggled to understand the fake one.

All she had to do was escape...


Twilight Sparkled swallowed her heart rather loudly as the door to the cell swung shut and locked once more.

Outside of the cell, she was proud, independent, and willing to do what her brother was not.

Inside, however, Twilight reevaluated everything
.
Here she was, standing in a small metal box with an enraged alien and no way of knowing how to calm it down safely. She would have liked to believe that the Noble Six wouldn't harm her, but...

"N-Noble Six?" Twilight stammered.


A pause from the Elite granted the Spartan a shot at its face, which Noble Six happily accepted with her foot. A satisfying crack erupted from the creatures mouth before it let out a furious roar.

"Like the rest of your race, you are weak and undisciplined! You are an insect to me, and I will crush you beneath my boot!" the Sangeheili shouted as it lunged forward and tackled Noble Six to the ground, grabbing her throat in its powerful grasp before standing triumphantly with its prize.

As Noble Six clutched the edges of the beasts' three-fingered hands and attempted to pull them off of her throat, the Elite managed a smirk and brought Six closer.

"There will be no other Spartans to save you, this time, demon." the Elite whispered as it reached around Noble Six's helmet and pulled it off. "My face will be the last thing your pathetic eyes ever see."

As the creature's grip slowly tightened around the Spartan's throat, Noble Six felt herself fading...

"Nahw-blea Saix?" came a feminine voice, and the Spartan flicked open her heavy eyes to meet the Elite's once more. Nothing had changed, but the Spartan was absolutely certain that the Elite had just said her name.

"Nahw-blea Saix?" the Elite's mandibles mouthed as its voice spoke up, but its face betrayed no indication it had said anything. "Kain yeuh haeir maey?"

Noble Six blinked away the creeping darkness as she fought off unconsciousness and watched the Elite's features slowly blend with its surroundings.

But it hadn't activated its active camouflage. Rather, it was like an artist had smeared the edges of the Elite so that it began to be harder and harder to tell where the alien ended and the sky began.

"Nawh-blea Saix, staihp!" the Elite shouted a final time before Noble Six suddenly found herself back in her not-so-comforting prison cell, with the little purple horse standing before her and her own hands wrapped tightly around her own throat. Noble Six took in as much air as she could and hurriedly backed away, pressing herself close to one of the walls and slowly sliding down it as the purple horse simply watched with a pained and pleading look on its face.



"I don't know, Princess! I just went down there, and it was beating on the walls, and then when I went into it's cell, it started choking itself!" Twilight Sparkle explained as Princess Luna remained unmoving.

"You should not have gone in there, Twilight Sparkle." Princess Luna replied, sternly. "You could have been killed."

"What was I supposed to do, sit there and watch it break out?!" Twilight shot back.

"Watch your tone with me, Twilight Sparkle! You may be a newly crowned Princess, but I am still ruler!" Princess Luna barked as she rose to her hooves from her sitting position before settling down once more and clearing her throat. "No, Twilight. I applaud your success in calming the beast down, but you should have done so from safety, such as outside its prison. It would be a shame if Equestria were to lose its most recent Princess..."

Detecting the slightest bit of a growl at the end of her voice, Twilight cocked her head and donned an accusative look. "Do you have a problem with me being a Princess?"

"It is none of your concern, Twilight Sparkle. I will conduct myself in an appropriate manner around you, so it should not matter whether or not I agree with your recent "accomplishment"." Princess Luna explained with a frown and a glare.

Twilight Sparkle gave a slight snort and turned to leave the room, feeling Princess Luna's cold gaze on her the entire way.


"It would seem that, either, it is becoming suicidal, or is experiencing an example of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Being a soldier, let alone one that has apparently fought another race of aliens, this is of little surprise." Princess Luna explained simply as a the single candle in her room flickered.

"It is a shame, really." A dark voice replied from the single wall-mounted oval mirror in Princess Luna's dark bedroom. "Had we bonded with it first, rather than... Celestia... then we could use it as our own, in time... But she has left an imprint on its mind, whether it realizes it, or not. It must be destroyed before we can initiate the next phase."

"I understand." Princess Luna replied, turning her head to blow out the candle.

"Wait." the voice cautioned, and Princess Luna froze. "Something is bothering you. You know how things get when you bottle them up... They only get worse."

"It is Twilight Sparkle." Princess Luna explained.

"Ah, the newly crowned "Princess", correct? Celestia is becoming too lax."

"Agreed. Twilight Sparkle is a bright mind, admittedly, but Celestia had away with the entire ritual simply because she is fond of the young pony!" Princess Luna spat. "For centuries, our kind held trials for the common pony to prove they were worthy of immortality and infinite magic, but Celestia simply does away with that in an instant once she believes young Twilight Sparkle can do better than her own sister just for studying the "Magic of Friendship"!"

A small, dark smirk formed on the creature in the mirror's snout at these words. "Who needs friends, really? They'll always end up stabbing you in the back, sooner or later."

"Just like Celestia did..." the voice whispered, mockingly.

Princess Luna glared and blew out the candle, and soon, the room was bathed in darkness once more.