• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 6,334 Views, 753 Comments

KIA - Darkswirl

  • ...
79
 753
 6,334

Rest and Relaxation

As their minds retreated back into their bodies, Princess Celestia let out an exhausted gasp before fainting, as Luna slumped against the wall; panting. Twilight Sparkle, on the other hoof, only shook on her hooves and remained upright.

At the sound of the collapsing Princess, Shining Armor began unlocking the door and proceeded to try and carry his ruler out. "Princess Celestia?! Are you alright- can you hear me?"

"She... Is fine... Captain..." Princess Luna said in between breathes as she turned her snout towards the collapsed and unmoving alien. "They are both... Fine... Take my sister... To her quarters..."

"At once, your highness." Shining Armor replied, snapping his hoof up into a salute before slowly and carefully carrying the exhausted alicorn out of the room and up the stairs.

When they were alone, Princess Luna cleared her throat and steadied her hooves; taking a few steps towards a shocked-looking Twilight and following her gaze back down to the creature. "It is unwise to peek into closed doors, Twilight Sparkle."

"I-I-I'm sorry! I-I had no idea, and t-that thing! What it's done, what it's b-been through!" Twilight Sparkle stammered, shaking her head and backing away from the creature and out through the cell door slowly; never once taking her eyes off of it.

"This is a very serious matter, Twilight Sparkle. I trust that this new information you have... 'Acquired' will not keep you from prying further, however?" Princess Luna inquired, causing Twilight to become even more confused.

"Are... Are you asking me to pry into that thing's head like Princess Celestia did?"

"Nay, Twilight Sparkle. The spell would kill you, if not cripple you mentally. You are not ready for such magic, but you held the spell well... I am surprised; especially since you were able to even see further into the creature than Celestia." Princess Luna explained. "When the spell is preformed again, and it will be a long while before that, I'd like you to do something for me. I do not trust this creature, and nor should my sister. I want to know what it has done and what it has seen. I want to know what it plans, and how its mind works."

"...How is that any different from what Princess Celestia did?"

"My sister only saw what the creature allowed to be seen. She does not pry unless there is a need, and that is a weakness that I do not uphold. Unfortunately, she will need a strong mind to hold her in there, so that only leaves you to do what must be done. It is similar to the spell we just cast, but it is closer to my own dream-walking spell. You will not see the creature, nor hear it, and neither the alien nor my sister will know you are there. You will exist in the back of its mind in a place that does not truly exist, and where nothing is logical or real."

"You're asking me to defy Princess Celestia, my mentor and your sister! The ruler of Equestria!" Twilight challenged in disbelief.

"She is not the only ruler, Twilight Sparkle! Equestria is at risk, and until I know the full extent of that risk I can do nothing to protect our kingdom! Do you see those gashes in the metal?!" Princess Luna snapped, motioning to the large indents and torn metal wall from the alien's previous escape attempts. "That is what one of these creatures can do. All it will take is a slip up with the Watch and Equestria will be crushed under that creature's foot!"

"If that's what you think will happen, then what hope do you have of defending Equestria from her, or her kind, if more of them show up?!"

"There is magic you have not been taught, Twilight Sparkle. Tomes and scrolls left sealed for millenniums that reek of the dark arts; magic that is banned from common or private use. If the time comes that we will need it, there will be nothing to stop us from defending what is ours. No 'human' will step foot on Equestrian soil, and if they sit up in their flying ships, we will crush them like wasps." Princess Luna snarled in anger as she turned to leave.

"You saw them, too?" Twilight asked softly, causing Luna to hesitate a bit.

"If one is caught peeking through a closed door, curiosity takes the lead." Princess Luna said simply as she left, leaving Twilight to think carefully before leaving, herself; giving the collapsed alien a final glance as the door to its cell swung shut and locked...


"Is she going to be alright?" Shining Armor asked, worriedly.

"Princess Luna said it's just typical magic exhaustion. She's fine, it's just that her body put herself to sleep so she doesn't kill herself." Twilight Sparkle explained, not entirely paying attention.

"But is she going to be alright?"

"She'll wake up once she's recovered and it'll be like she never exhausted herself in the first place. Relax, Shiny."

Giving a sigh of defeat and relief, Shining Armor trotted out of the Princess's quarters and down the hall, leaving Twilight alone with the gently-breathing form of Princess Celestia.

Twilight stared quietly at her sleeping mentor, shutting the wooden door with her magic after her brother had gone and letting her thoughts swirl about in her head.

The creature was dangerous, she knew, but most things are. Somepony could jam a quill through her eye and twirl it around a bit, and Twilight might die.

Just because she can be dangerous, though... Twilight Sparkle thought with a sigh.

She wasn't sure how to handle this. Should she betray her mentor and the alien's trust? It would matter if there truly was a threat, but... But there was just no way to know.

Twilight didn't want to risk it, leaving Equestria undefended, but Princess Luna had a point... But the things that she had seen.

Horrible, unspeakable things that didn't even exist in her stories...

Twilight shivered and squinted her eyes shut to fight off the scenes and sounds, thankful when they had passed. They hadn't stopped, even after the spell had ended. They haunted Twilight already, and it had only been an hour or two.

The visions would come and go, scenes of these humans, not unlike the alien, but in more revealing clothing, screaming over the sounds of war. Some would cry out in agony as blue balls melted through their torsos, and some would simply cease to exist in bright explosions of crackling blue energy.

But the other creatures...

Twilight nearly screamed the first time she had seen one of those, the monsters with their mouths blown outwards- wielding terrifying blades that cut through almost anything with no resistance.

They were unrelenting in their advance towards the humans, and it was not long afterwards that the fighting had stopped.

Twilight opened her eyes slowly to let them rest on the body of Princess Celestia, whose chest rose gently with each soft breath, before blinking once and rising to her hooves- heading out of the room shortly after.


"Tell me, Captain, why were you away from your post?" Princess Luna began as Shining Armor came down the stairs and back into the dungeon.

"You... You ordered me to bring your sister to her room, your majesty...?" Shining Armor replied, a bit confused.

"I have known this castle nearly my entire life, Captain, and never once have I been two hours and sixteen minutes late to anywhere, even if I took the most elaborate path imaginable."

"I-I apologize, your majesty... I simply wished to make sure your sister would be alright."

Shining Armor shivered slightly under his cuirass as Princess Luna's cold gaze bore into his body for a moment.

"Do you enjoy your current duty, Shining Armor; keeping a watchful eye on this prisoner? Do you enjoy keeping Equestria safe from those who would threaten its stability in any form?"

"I do, your majesty. It is my calling." Shining Armor replied, standing up straighter.

"Then I trust you know what that monster in there is capable of, attacking me and surviving, as well as what it has done to its cell. How long did it strike at the walls?"

"Not long, your majesty."

"Not long, and yet it did so much damage... What do you imagine when you think of that creature escaping from the castle and being in Canterlot?"

"...Milady?"

"Answer the question, Captain."

"I... I imagine it being scared and confused, honestly."

"This creature- a creature who has fought against beings more fearsome than itself and slaughtered many all by its lonesome-, feeling scared? Nay, Shining Armor. It would not escape with a calm mind. It would be furious; furious that it had been kept in a cage, kept from its weapon, kept from its world. And do you know what it would do when it entered the streets of Canterlot and bathed in the fresh air?" Princess Luna began, her voice lowering until it was but a whisper in the young Captain's ear as she stood next to him- staring past the bars into the cage. "It would seek revenge."

Shining Armor gulped nervously as he imagined the unspeakable horror that followed in his mind, of ponies being ripped in half by the creatures cold, metal hands; having their skulls crushed under its heavy metal boot... And Twilight. Twilight, having her wings torn off of her body as she tried to fly away...

Shining Armor shivered at the unpleasant thoughts, managing to control himself through years of training and simply glaring at the unconscious creature as the blue aura of Princess Luna's magic faded- unnoticed -from her horn, and a light smirk formed on her lips.

"Do you understand what must be done, Captain?"

"I... I believe I do, milady. But, how? Surely Princess Celestia would investigate thoroughly and ruthlessly if she, one day, found the alien... Dead."

"I am not suggesting you kill it, Captain. At least, not yet." Princess Luna explained as she turned away and began climbing the stairs- stopping on the first step to look back at the standing unicorn. "Be creative, Captain. Make it fear us."


Kat, you read her file?

Noble Six weakly flicked her eyes open as the ghostly voice of Emile-A239 echoed throughout her head.

Only the parts that weren't covered in black ink.

Noble Six gasped and sat upright as she looked around her dull cell. Nothing had changed, except it was empty of everything except herself.

As she stood up, shakily, her eyes widened and she tore off her helmet before she emptied her stomach onto the floor, coughing and gagging a bit as she stood over her knees.

Hope we can trust her. She'll never replace Thom, though. Jorge cut in.

Noble Six shook her head to clear the voices, but to no avail.

Yeah. Likely she'll go out like him just to make us like her. Emile added before the team let out a mocking laugh.

"No..." Noble Six whispered in pain.

No, what, Six? You blew yourself up when we needed you to come back home. Carter spoke, and the other members of the team fell silent.

"I did what I had to, to protect Reach..."

You died destroying a little cruiser, Six. You tried to be like Thom just so we could respect you after you died, because you knew we would never respect you while you were alive. But you don't deserve our respect, even in death. I had no choice, accepting you onto Noble Team, but if I had the choice... Carter explained, his voice drifting on as Nobe Six began crying. I would have sent you with the rest of your company to Pegasi Delta.

Noble Six let out an agonized cry of battle, breaking her cool and slamming her feet and fists into the wall as easily as if she were dancing- the unprepared metal denting and scraping beneath her as she vented her frustration and guilt.

Outside the cell, standing just next to the door, Shining Armor let a small smile form on his lips as his magical aura faded form his horn...