• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 1,651 Views, 65 Comments

Colt Cuddler: Friends To Lovers - Starweardo



The tale of a love that faces many ups and downs. This story only contains OCs.

  • ...
16
 65
 1,651

The Piano

"Of course..." Night Light said softly, walking over to the piano as he gestures his new visitor to stay seated.

Shiny sits upright, eager to see this for himself. Night takes the stool, resting his hooves on the keys before gently pressing down with the hooftips, playing a very slow overture.

I admit, the sound is very amateur-like compared to most professionals, then again, most professionals are unicorns... looking at it like that, it's impressive. I've never really seen an earth pony play an instrument like that...

Shiny finds himself lost, entranced until the overture ended. He gives a friendly applause before gesturing the Earth Pony to sit with him.

"That was amazing!" he commended, trying not to sound too forward. He couldn't help but let his voice rise a bit in the end of the sentence.

"Thanks," Night Light answered, "it's been a while since I've played for anypony. Last time I did that, I was a little fellow, about five years old."

Shiny smiled a warm smile and chuckled briefly. "I'm honoured." he said, when something came across his mind.

"Say, Night Light? Where does that accent come from? It doesn't sound like anything I've heard before."

Night Light took a few seconds to answer. He seemed to have been a little out of breath, at least, Shiny assumed he was out of breath, since his cheeks were a faint hint of red since he sat with him, until after a few minutes, he answered the question.

"I hail from Bronsdale, in the North-East of Equestria, located at Lake Amsorak in the Republic of Darokin. Very small, very rural, but we're there, on the map. My hometown has quite the history, you'd be surprised."

Shiny Rock was intrigued at this point, and knew that this could be the most this guy had spoken to anyone in a long time, so he'd want to keep the conversation going. "Bronsdale? I've never heard of the place. How far north is it?" he asked, not faking his peaked interest on the subject.

"It's far north, close to the border in the east as well. You'd need a detailed map of Equestria and beyond to find it. I can take y' there someday, if you want me to."

Shiny's grin broadened. "I'd love to see it!"

"Great," Night concluded, "I'll tell you when I plan to visit."
There was a slight sigh after that sentence and Shiny could see he said it with a heavy heart.

"When was the last time you were there?" Shiny asked in a voice of minor concern. Of course he'd feel sympathy for him now, they had only met each other today and already they've become the best of friends, though that is to say that they really only have each other to seek help from, as the rumours could cause the other ponies to hate them irrationally and give them a hard time, but he was happy to have at least found a true friend.

"Last time I was there, I left to live here..." he responded. His depressive expression becomes deeper as he sighs heavily.

Perhaps I should change the topic.

"I need to buy some books on horticulture and earth magic. Would you like to join me?" Shiny asked, addressing a topic he finds friendly.

"Sure..." Night answered, looking outside, "it's raining though. Do you have a coat on you?"

Shiny looked outside as well, now. It was pouring buckets at this point, which suffice to say, was a little sudden, as the forecast had foretold the entire week to be windy with sunshine, without a single mention of rain. Which meant...

"No, I don't. It's okay, we could wait." he said, a bit disappointed.

"You can wear my coat, I'll hold the umbrella. That way you can speak to me while we both stay dry." Night suggested, his gold coloured eyes shifting from the pony next to him to the coat hanger rapidly.

Shiny blushed. He blushed hard.

No way, is this really happening? I don't have a lot of experience with friends, so I don't know if it's normal if friends did this much for each other.

He turned his head away to hide his red-faced expression.

"Won't you have to speak as well? It hardly seems fair." he responded, trying to think himself less of a burden.

"Och, no. I don't generally speak, anyway, so why should it bother? Also, I'm born way up north and I work a night-job, I'm used to freezing temperatures. Really, I only go to school because it's mandatory." the blue colt insisted, smiling innocently.

Damn, that is a cute smile.

He sighed. "Fine. Let's go, then."
He put on Night's coat and opened the door, giving his new friend the umbrella.

Fast forward to the bookshop

Trottingham's bookshop was nothing to jest about. It had the second biggest library of books in all of Equestria, Canterlot holding the biggest. There were clerks everywhere, constantly re-stacking the shelves with new books.
The aisles all had their own categories of books. There were novels, poetry, history, economy, spellcraft, wizardry, earth magic, crafting, science and tons of other categories and sub-categories to choose from.

Shiny missed this place too much, he had to go explore all of the new books right this second.

"Feel free to look around on your own, my friend... I'll be busy..." he said, eyes sparkling with the biggest grin on his face, almost appearing to spread beyond his cheeks.

Night Light wandered around aimlessly, looking what the bookshop had in stock. This was nothing compared to the library, but it was still quite impressive.

Walking around for quite a while, he noticed a book that caught his attention, called "Outing Yourself: A Colt Cuddler's Advice On Colt Cuddling".
Looking both ways to check if nobody witnessed him staring at it, he took the book and quickly went up to the cash register to purchase it, where Shiny was already putting his new books in a bag, waving towards him in a friendly manner.

Night tried to purchase the book with the cover turned away from Shiny's line of sight in an inconspicuous way, looking rather goofy and obvious in the process.
Shiny decided not to address it.

After the awkward check-out, they both went outside for a little window shopping.
They look at coats, shirts, hats, eventually stopping to see what films were currently selling in the media store, when suddenly, a cheerleading pony from their school addressed them from behind as they were discussing their favourite actors.

"Excuse me, um... Night Light, was it? Did you just talk?"

Night Light froze as Shiny Rock turned to the filly standing there.
She had a yellow tinted coat and a long, mint-green mane, which bring forward her sapphire eyes. Her cutie mark depicted a lavender hibiscus flower, suggesting her talent lies in floral activities.

Shiny sighed before responding. "Yeah, are you gonna tell everypony now? Why don't you tell them we went shopping together as well? Look, he's my best friend and nothing more."

"Not gonna tell anypony anything. I was just curious. Aaand you're the new guy, right?"

"Yeah... name's Shiny Rock, pleased to meet you. Thanks for that."
He takes her hoof and gives it a firm shake, smiling.

"Of course! Even if I told someone, you'd know who to tell on. Anyway, pleased to meet you too. My name is Sweet Scent."

Author's Note:

Oh boy-o, I was putting this off for such a long time. Hope you're enjoying it so far, folks!