• Published 31st May 2013
  • 8,713 Views, 396 Comments

Not everypony will be happy - Lenora Goff



Spike and Rainbow Dash have gotten over the first minor hurdle in their relationship, and now it's time for everypony else to be told. But not everypony will react the same. Sequel to Rainbow Dash's Spike.

  • ...
21
 396
 8,713

When you ignore anything negative...

~Rarity~

Whenever Fluttershy kissed me, that was when everything became infinitely more difficult. I was hardly a bad actor, not that I liked the idea of this being something that was simply another role, but each kiss felt just as awkward as the one before it. I was sure that Fluttershy would discover on her own eventually, there was no way that this could become natural in time for it to matter.

Or I might have been overthinking things, she did not seem any more suspicious than before.

Was it a good thing, though, that she had no idea? I had no real idea what I would do if this continued to feel so foreign. I knew what the romance novels said. The romance novels told me that one of us would have to really sweep the other off their hooves, and then would come the unmentionable acts. It was true that my novels were written with another audience in mind, I still remembered that it was a handsome prince that did the sweeping.

As much as I cared for Fluttershy, I did not feel as though she had swept me off my hooves at any point.

I was sure that I would feel that eventually.

For now, I just had to fake it. Maybe it would be the events of the day that made this easier. Either way, we were both soon outside of her cottage. I had not said much in the past few minutes, since she had agreed to go on this little date, and she had seemed to be focused on her attempts to figure out what the secret was.

I looked up at the sky, I knew it was up to me to break the silence. “It is a beautiful day, if I do say so myself. I sure am glad you were not too busy to join me. I know sometimes your animal friends get in trouble.” I looked at her, she really was a beautiful mare. I thought back to her time as a model, as fleeting as it had been, and that only affirmed my ideas. She was also very kind, the aforementioned animals were a testament to that. She was also very smart, the fact that she took care of all of those animals all the time told me that.

“Oh Rarity, you should know that I always have time for you. Besides, it’s a good thing that you showed up when you did. Angel was just saying something about me needing to get out of the house. At least this way I get to spend the time with my special somepony.” I looked into her eyes, she looked so happy. She was so sweet, I wanted to be able to give her what I knew she deserved.

Yet I still could not say that I was really in love with her. Part of me thought that this was a fault of my own, I knew that anypony would have counted themselves lucky to be where I was today. Of course, I reasoned that it was because this was still something new. I just had to weather through the uncertainty, within a few months I knew it would have become normal.

I hoped so, anyway, for both our sakes.

Otherwise, this would end horribly.

The first stop was lunch, which meant that I had time to think of a conversation. We both had to order our meals, and then when the meals arrived we had to eat. I normally tried to keep things fresh, but I knew it was important to come up with something. The topic of the day likely needed to be Fluttershy. If I talked about her, I might have been able to convince myself that my love was true. All I had to do was remember what it was about her that deserved to be loved.

Unfortunately, that was not what ended up happening.

Almost the entire time we were there, another couple was arguing. It seemed as though the mare in the relationship had caught him when he looked at the waitress’ flanks. That was both rude and uncivilized, and I would have given him a piece of my mind if Fluttershy had not been there. Instead, I spent most of the time between the order and the arrival of the food in an attempt to make sure that Fluttershy felt safe. Even though I could not give her what she deserved, I could at least do this.

~Fluttershy~

This was horrible, absolutely horrible.

Out of all of the times for something like this to happen, it had to be today. I had to be out on my date when something between two ponies happened. There was yelling, I heard that, and I couldn’t help myself. If I hadn’t been on the date, I probably would have just left. I stayed there, though, and Rarity held my hoof. That was a little embarrassing, I knew I should have been stronger when it came to this sort of thing. I knew I should have been able to get through something like this without being so needy.

I felt awful, I knew that I probably ruined our date.

Rarity probably wanted to leave as soon as possible.

The fact that the food arrived didn’t mean as much to me as when the waiter walked over to the couple. I hoped that he asked them to leave, I think he did. Regardless of what he said, they left. I was so happy about that, and that almost made me feel bad. I shouldn’t have wished them to leave, I should have wished that they would have found a way to solve their problem without the need to yell. Yet I hadn’t, I just wished that they would have gone sooner to go deal with it somewhere else.

This relationship was making me a bad pony, yet I didn’t really mind. I knew that I deserved just as much happiness as everypony else.

That thought had to be pushed to the side, though, this was my first normal date. That meant that there was no time for me to be sad, happiness was what I had to be. And I was, because Rarity was there with me. “These salads look delicious, I’m glad we came here.” Part of me thought that it might have been better to get some sort of noodles, the books that I had read recently all pointed to noodles that led to a kiss that led to everypony being happy.

Maybe next time.

“Of course, darling, I’ve been coming to this place for a long time. They have one of the best salads.”

Something about that, the word darling, seemed plain. She had called me that before we had started dating. I thought that she would have come up with something a little more special by now. That wasn’t the case, and for the first time in a while my expression changed to one of disappointment when I looked at Rarity. I hadn’t even realized that it happened, yet apparently she had noticed it enough to get a concerned look on her face as she asked the obvious question.

“Is something wrong, dear?”

I knew I couldn’t say anything, it would have seemed to be so petty. “It’s nothing at all.” There was a chance that my lie would be believed, that she wouldn’t push. Another thought came to my mind, though, I hadn’t given her a new name either. “I was just thinking of something that happened yesterday.” A moment passed, and I still didn’t have anything. I had to say the first thing that came to mind. “Don’t worry about it, Rari-bear.”

That wasn’t good at all.

It caught her off guard. The fact that she smiled soon afterward was something good, but I knew she wasn’t going to drop what she had seen.

“You can tell me anything. Is there something wrong with the salad? Are you still thinking about that couple? Is it something you’d like me to help you with back at your house?” The guesses continued for what seemed to be forever, but was really only five minutes, each question for either a no or a simple shake of my head. In the end, though, I had to tell her.

“I just wish you had a special name for me... if it’s not too much trouble. I mean... you call all of our friends dear and darling and.” I looked away for a moment, I knew she wouldn’t realize how much it meant to me. I knew she loved me, but all of the romance novels had this sort of thing. “If you don’t want to, that’s fine.”