• Published 31st May 2013
  • 8,719 Views, 396 Comments

Not everypony will be happy - Lenora Goff



Spike and Rainbow Dash have gotten over the first minor hurdle in their relationship, and now it's time for everypony else to be told. But not everypony will react the same. Sequel to Rainbow Dash's Spike.

  • ...
21
 396
 8,719

Words can hurt too, ya know?

~Twilight Sparkle~

When the spa trip finally ended, I was left with questions.

It would have been good if Rarity had been able to help me out, I still didn't know who it was that I had seen or even if I had actually seen a mare, but the only thing I had come out of there knowing was that it wasn't her. I also had left knowing that that Fluttershy was in a relationship with her, which was something that confused me even more.

How could you be with somepony and not be in love with them? I still couldn’t figure it out, it just didn’t make any sense to me at all.

And Spike loved her, Rarity, but I didn't get the impression that she loved him back. Or did she? At the very least, she hadn't said anything about that. And I couldn't bring it up, because she would have likely wondered what it was that caused that. Then there was the question of who I actually wanted to be with Rarity, or if it was even my business. I considered Spike to be my brother, but Fluttershy has always been there for me.

This confused me more and more as time went on.

Friendship was quickly becoming something that I understood, but this romance thing was going to be the death of me and it wasn’t even a romance that had to do with me, it was a few of my friends and my little brother. At least all of this made me realize that it would be best if I just didn’t bother thinking about love at all.
It was way too complicated.

“We should do this more often, Rarity. It was fun.”

“I completely agree, darling, I’ll make sure that we go out almost as often as I do with Fluttershy – in a different way, of course.”

I wondered if this was always going to be that way, it seemed awkward.

“That’d be great.” I turned and looked at the path ahead of me, part of me couldn’t help but be a little afraid of what was going to come from the trip. Everything else had been so complicated so far. If my luck continued as it had, then things definitely wouldn't be good for me. If things continued as they were so far, my luck didn't seem to be so good so far, then Chrysalis would have been the one who I had seen that night.

Why?

Because it seemed as though my life wasn't complicated enough.

There was actually only one thing that was certain. Well, actually, there were two things that were certain. I was certain that Chrysalis wouldn't really be there, and I had to do everything I could to be there for Spike. There was absolutely no way that he would tell me anything if he thought that I was going to be anything less than completely supportive. Part of me knew that he would tell me the truth if I asked, he rarely lied to me.

~Rainbow Dash~

I couldn’t believe that it had been so easy.

I had been feeling horrible the entire day, I had thought that he would tell me to leave. Fluttershy had told me to leave, and I had deserved it. Even though it hadn’t been as bad as it seemed, I still felt horrible. But something about the kiss, something about the fact that he still wanted me there, it was enough to melt the worry from my mind.
If this was what love was, then I didn’t want to ever lose it.

“So, what now?”

Out of every question, that was the loudest one in my mind. Aside from a few incidents, I didn't plan things. I just simply wasn't good at it. Part of my mind was still focused on what had happened the last time.The date was still on my mind, I wasn't sure if it would ever leave it. That was something I was okay with, though. The consequences were things that I was still dealing with, in terms of what Fluttershy now thought of me. All of that aside, I still didn't know what it was that we were going to do now.

Dinner would have been nice, but I didn't know if it was a good idea to invite myself to dinner.

We both stared into each others eyes, as if the two of us were pondering the same question, and then I made a move. I planted my lips against his, it was the first idea that came to mind. It had been the thing that had come to my mind during the date, and it had turned out well then. This sort of thing obviously wouldn't become old for a while, the feeling was better than almost anything I could think of right then and there.

It was awesome.

Rainboom-level awesome, really, but who am I to measure?

I didn’t even notice how the door started to open. It was pretty obvious that Spike didn’t notice it either, or maybe he just didn’t say anything.

~Twilight~

On the other side of the door, there was the potential for answers. Spike was a smart dragon, but he was also a child. He liked ice cream, he liked gems, he liked so many things that I knew I could use. Part of me fought against that idea, that part knew that it wouldn't come to that. All I had to do was ask, and I knew that he would come up with some sort of an answer. I couldn't just ask, though, I had to get to the subject.

I had to come up with a reason to broach the subject.

I opened the door, poked my head in. For a few moments, it was almost as if my brain had just stopped working. That might have seemed to be the most unbelievable statement, considering who I was, but it happened. I saw the mare, saw the mane and the color, saw what she looked like, and it's sad that it took a few moments before I recognized who it was.
This had been the last thing I had expected to see.

I didn't know what to think of it all. I knew that Spike was growing up, he was maturing. There couldn't be an argument that he wasn't growing. Every time I looked at him, even now, I saw the baby dragon that I had taken care of for years. I didn't know what to think when I saw him like this, his lips were pressed against the lips of one of my friends. I had never thought of him as a romantic before, yet that was exactly what he had been without my knowledge.

The other problem, or more accurately the thing that I saw as a problem, was the exact friend of mine that his lips were pressed against.

I liked to think of myself as one of the most reasonable mare in Ponyville. There hadn’t been a single incident of favoritism in the past few months, and I had been one of the few who hadn’t thought that Zecora was an evil enchantress initially. Everything along those lines fell apart, though, when I looked at what I saw in front of me.

This was Rainbow Dash.

To say that the little incident with Spike, where she had taken him from my care, wasn’t in my mind would be a lie. It was there. That had been the second thing, I knew that she had something to do with him getting injured in the first place. It hadn’t been her intention, but that didn’t change the fact that she had something to do with it.

Without thinking, my horn started to light up. I had done this same thing once before, and things like this only became easier when repeated. I was going to do this for Spike’s good, he didn’t know what he was getting himself into. Neither did I, but at least I was an outside party in all of this. I was unbiased, I was looking for out his best interests.

I cleared my throat, and the two of them looked at me. It only took a second for Rainbow to realize what was going to happen, and another second for it to actually happen. Part of me knew it would have been a better idea if I had just given her some time to explain what she was doing here. That wasn’t true, I knew what she was doing here. The better explanation would be why she thought it was a good idea.

But it was too late, the blast was shot off at her.

~Rainbow Dash~

Well, this was awkward.

I didn’t think that many ponies would be coming to the library. It wasn’t as if the group of ponies that were in Ponyville had a big reading habit. It took a moment, actually, for me to recognize the sound of the voice that was being cleared.
Twilight.

She was my friend, I knew that. There had been some friction between us, or maybe a lot, but she was still my friend. I knew she probably still held some resentment for what happened to Spike. I also knew that she tried to be fair about these things, and that meant that she would totally move on. Heck, this might have even brought us closer together.

If she knew I loved Spike, she would totally forgive me for what had happened.

I turned, though, to see a horn that was glowing. This had happened before, this had all happened before. Part of me thought about heading off at that point, I might have been able to get a few feet away and out the window. There was also the chance that her magic was going to hit me before I could move.

What? Twilight scared the heck out of after what happened before.

I wanted to say something, but part of me knew that there was no time. he hadn’t said anything to me, asked any questions, she was just firing off her magic to deal with what she likely perceived as a problem. I didn’t hate her for it, I couldn’t, but something always seemed to happen to me when she overreacted like this. Or maybe I was just unlucky enough to actually continue to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Either way, I tried to change my expression to one of defiance the moment before the beam hit me. If I was going to be trapped still, not able to do something as simple as flex my legs, then I was going to try to make sure that I was trapped in a way that looked cool. It wouldn’t be hard, considering it was me.

Then again, I was assaulted by one of my best friends. There was so much about this that could easily be described as uncool.

The only upside to being right, and it being exactly what she had done before, was that it wasn’t painful. I had done a lot of things that were painful, it wasn’t pleasant. Instead, it was more like everything was getting shut off at once. I couldn’t move, couldn’t really talk. The only things I could do was breathe and blink, which I’m certain are kind of necessary for me to have continued to live.

So, there’s that.

The second part of the spell was one that I knew would take me back to my house. At least, that was what I assumed would happen. Maybe she just wasn’t thinking clear enough for that, and soon enough I was falling about ten feet to slam into the ground. That had been painful, but there really wasn’t a lot that I could do about it. I couldn’t even make any noise, or check where I was. If this was anything like what had happened last time, I was going to be in for a wait while this wore off.
If last time was any indication, this was going to be a long wait.

And that was the downside, I was going to be stuck wherever she had put me for however long it took for the spell to wear off.

~Spike~

As soon as the beam shot out of Twilight’s horn, something in my mind told me to push Rainbow out of the way.
I didn’t know why, it wasn’t as if my big sister would actually hurt one of her friends.

Actually, one time came to mind that was almost like this. Twilight had caught her trying to bring me back in, and the next thing I knew Rainbow was gone. That turned out to be exactly like this, really. Before I could say anything, Rainbow had completely disappeared. I tried to remember what she said about the spell before, the effects that she had told me that it had, and I really hoped that it was different from last time on her end.

I knew it would be different on my end.

Last time it had happened, she had explained everything to me. I had taken it all in, listened, and then I ended up quickly forgiving her. How could I have stayed mad? Twilight had just been looking out for me that time, she had felt as though I might have gotten hurt out there. That was more understandable than this, where it seemed as though she just assumed the worst out of her friend.

“How dare you?” I couldn’t believe that she would have done that sort of thing. I still couldn’t think of a single reason for her to think that this was okay. It just didn’t make any sense. “I thought she was your friend.”

“This is my library, and thus my rules.” She wasn’t even going to try to apologize this time, it seemed. “And I’m just doing what I have to do to protect you. I had to take care of you the last time that something happened, not her.” It seemed, to me, that she was going to do anything to justify to herself what she had just done. Maybe an apology would come later, or maybe it wouldn’t.

Right now, all I got was that she was right and then a few reasons as to why.

My vision actually started to get a little hazy, but that wasn’t the thing that was on my mind. I couldn’t believe she would be so full of herself. “Well, you won’t have to worry about that second part anymore, because I’m going somewhere else.” I could see the shocked expression, and part of me just wanted to continue talking. It turned out that it was the larger part of me, so I did. “I just don’t feel safe around here.”

I didn’t give her any chance to say anything, I just walked out.

She didn’t even try to stop me, she was just stunned as I walked by her. The thing was, I couldn’t even stay mad as I started to walk by. There was something about her that made me feel kind of sorry for her. I didn’t realize it, but that was something that had shown through my expression.

“B-but you can’t.” Finally, I heard something. I was right outside of the door when she said it, and I turned to look at her. Did she really think she was going to stop me? I glared at her, and she shrank away. “Where will you go?” I couldn’t look at her, she actually looked sad at the concept of me leaving. If I looked too much, I might have lost my will to actually go through with it. “Who will take care of you?”

At that, I turned completely away from her and started to walk away. I had to do this now, I had to get away before she did what I knew was going to happen.

“I need my number one assistant!”

It pained me to hear that, almost as much as it pained me to hear the sobbing that came with it. I had to do this, though. I didn’t know where I would go, not yet, but at least I could get a message to Rainbow and she could actually see me without being zapped by Twilight. I had to come up with somewhere that I could stay, at least for a few days, until I was finally able to figure out a longer-term plan.

I was going to have to plan things on my own now, that was definitely not something I liked.
I could have headed over to see one of our friends. Rainbow was out because of the fact that her house was in the clouds. Rarity was out for other obvious reasons. That left Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Applejack. I looked up at the sky, this was going to be a difficult day I knew it.

~Twilight~

How could this have happened?

All I had wanted to do was protect him. I had heard his words, they had sounded so accusatory. There had been an edge to them, or maybe that had simply been a twinge of guilt. My words, I had made sure that they were the right words. They told everything about how I felt, why I had done what I did. I had hoped that he would accept it, maybe he would have moped for a few days. I had hoped all of that, but it hadn't come to that.

I tried again, tried to make sure that he wouldn't leave. Part of me knew that, at that point, there wasn't anything that I could have said. My little brother was mad at me, and there wasn't much of anything that I could do about it.
I was still crying, wasn’t I?

I just don’t feel safe around here.

Those had been the words that hurt the most, I hadn’t expected him to say that. I hadn’t actually expected any of it.
I still didn’t know what I did wrong.

The only thing that went through my head was how this was all my fault. My explanation had been short, it had been the words that I had thought would be enough. My words hadn't been enough, though, I knew that now. Spike was gone, and it was all because my ability to properly explain myself had disappeared when I had needed it the most.
Maybe I had just assumed too much.

My mind moved on to what else was possible. I tried to think of laws that were relevant to this problem, and nothing came to mind. I looked over him, but I wasn't legally his parent. I played the role of big sister my entire life, and that was my legal status as well. Princess Celestia would probably have some advice if I wrote her. Either that, or the letter that I got back would say that I messed things up big time.

I didn't need to let down two of my family at once.

“G-get it together, Twilight. He’ll be back tomorrow.” If a pony can't believe their own words, then nopony else would either. It didn't matter much to me if anypony else believed them anyway, but it might have been nice to be fooled by them for a short while. I was alone now, and had been for a few minutes. Spike had left, and it had been completely my fault. This was something that I had to fix.

The only problem was that I had no clue how to fix it myself.

“Maybe I should read something, get my mind off of it.”

By this time, I had barely stopped the crying. It wasn’t easy, but the thought of doing something that could take my mind off of my problem was enough. I didn’t even have to know what book I was reading, I would just walk over to a section and pull out a book. It probably needed to be nonfiction, since I always loved when I learned something. Even if it was something old, I always focused on something that could be called a lesson.

This was my first book, I knew it wouldn't be the last. An aura surrounded it, and soon it came to me. I probably needed to read the cover, but I didn't. I just opened the cover, moved some paper over to me, and then glanced at the first page. A book was good, but I needed to take notes if I was going to use this as my new focus.

A Study on the Anatomy of Dragons

It didn't take anything more than a couple of seconds for the book to hit the floor. I didn't care if it got back to the shelf. The lavender aura had surrounded it, and then it had been thrown with as much force as I could have mustered. Spike was out there somewhere, and it was completely my fault.

I had failed him, and I had failed myself. I still didn't know what I should have done, but something should have been done.

“I hope you're safe out there at least.”