• Published 12th Feb 2012
  • 799 Views, 15 Comments

The Midnight Crusade - Method in Maddness

  • ...
1
 15
 799

chapter 3

Chapter Three

The clear skies of the morning quickly faded to a muted grey as the twilight ensued. The tell-tale signs of Scootaloo's presence in town showed in the tire tracks of her scooter that crossed throughout PonyVille. The filly in question lay prone behind a bush. The remnants of tears that had stained her face were being washed away in the gentle rain that had over taken the skies. The mask of confidence, vitality and youth had cracked long ago, revealing a glimpse of the pain in the filly's soul. 'How is it that nopony knows anything about my parents? It's not as if I randomly popped into existence. I'm not Pinkie Pie, so that wouldn't work,' thought Scootaloo as she pulled herself from the dirt, hoping nopony had seen her in her moment of weakness.

'What was it that Rainbow always said? "I haven't failed 100 times; I've simply just found 100 ways that don't work. The only way to fail something is to simply not try." What would she think of me now?' She continued her inner monologue as she wheeled her scooter past SugarCube Corner. The usually cheery façade of the building was dulled and warped by the rain and tears. 'Well that was a total bust,' Scootaloo thought, 'what am I going to do now?'

Her train of thought was interrupted by the sound of a heavy door squealing as it was pulled shut. Looking around for the source of the noise, Scootaloo noticed a side door to the town hall hit home. A spark ignited in her mind, 'Twilight said that all the records are there, maybe if I'm lucky, I'll be able to slip inside and try to find my file!' The thought sent tingles through her spine. 'I have to know what's in that file! I'm not going to live the rest of my life as a homeless nopony.' Scootaloo hid her scooter by the dumpster behind SugarCube Corner. Maneuvering around the edge of the building, she broke into a dead-on sprint for the door that she saw earlier. As she drew closer, the shadow of the town hall began to encompass her. Loaming before her like a changeling in the ethereal darkness stood the mouth into the unknown. 'Behind that door could be anything, let's hope that lucks with me today…' she thought before reaching for the door.

The door closed behind Scootaloo with a muffled 'click'. A quick survey of hallway revealed that she was alone. 'Not like that's any different from earlier.' whispered the cynical voice in her head. 'You've always been alone and will be alone for…'

"FOREVER!" yelled Pinkie Pie as she burst out of a nearby trash bin before slowly with drawling to its seeming bottomless interior. As her thrashing heart started to calm down, Scootaloo began to try and find the room containing the records. Echoes reverberated off the dull grey walls as her hooves struck the cold, checkered marble. The hall seemed to warp in on themselves as gently hoofed her way down the dimly lit hall. Passing by the rooms she read the various labels stamped onto them. 'Janitors Closet, Copy Room, Staff Room, where are all those bucking records? They can't have all just vanished…'

A door on her left caught her attention with its more intricate designs and above par caftponyship. The label spoke volume as she read the cold black letters upon it.

"The Mayor's office. There's got to be something of use in there." Scootaloo whispered as she slipped into the room, failing to register the dull glow a lamp still on in the office. The room was rather large, bordered with book shelves and a grand oak desk adorning the center of the room. As she trotted into the room she heard the sound of a book being slid back into its spot on the self. Diving under the desk to avoid being seen, Scootaloo could feel her stomach brimming with a nervous excitement. Her wings quietly unfolding and folding in anticipation as the sound of muffled hoof steps on carpet drew near.

"Well, would you look at the time? I guess balancing the budget for this next quarter took longer than I thought it would. Now if only I could find those keys…" muttered the voice to herself as she walked towards the desk. Scootaloo's breath hitched in her throat as she saw a tan colored hoof descend right in front of her hiding spot.

Authors Notes: Hey sorry guys for the absoloutely massive wait for this chapter and again sorry if it's rather short. I felt that you people deserved it though. As always, leave reviews if you have ideas for me or simply to say good job or you suck (if the later at least say why). Oh! and lets see if anyone can guess where Rainbow's quote is from. Arighty then have a good day, or night in some cases. Ah, what ever, take it how you will. Later!

Comments ( 7 )

THis story is going nowhere..Im starting to lose interest fast in this story. I feel like evertime a chapter happens its just going to be another waste of time and so far Im right.

741969 1327071 Well than it's a good think I don't give a flying fuck about your opinion. Sorry that the fact I have things going on in real life affect your interest in the story.

Have a nice day, :twilightsmile:
Method.

1328731 Aww did someone not get enough cock up their ass this weekend geesh.

are you refering to thomas edison's quote "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" or one of my favorites by wayne gretzky "you miss 100 percent of the shots you dont take"

2044231 Glad that you caught that :twilightsmile:. Got to love Gretzky.

2045116 Gretzky rocks go canada

Login or register to comment