• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 2,098 Views, 32 Comments

Decisions - MadMan



Left or right? I have to decide....

  • ...
4
 32
 2,098

Wait

I made my decision, snapping my attention right around to the hallway I had just came down. I glared at the corner, expecting the owner of the running hoofsteps any second now. Why do I always have to do things the hard way? I could run; I probably should. Yet, there in my head, in that creepy little dark corner few dare tread, I know why: If I run, they might follow. I don't want to end up down a dead end with some crazy pony trying to put a knife in my back. I'd rather go ahead and face them now, on MY terms, while the adrenaline is in full force.

Such a fascinating chemical, adrenaline. The effects are most invigorating. Each time you experience that wonderful rush as the neuroreceptors in your brain are flooded with adrenaline, you change. Not a change as in 'I think I like apple juice more than orange,' or some junk like that, something more fundamental. You never emerge the same. You suddenly realize how fleeting life is, how pointless and futile it is, how death might be a wondrous release from this drawn-out agony that is survival.

I am far too morbid for my own good.

Yet in beautiful irony, adrenaline is your mind's way of defense. Heart rate escalates, increasing that blood flow throughout your body. Respiratory action in your muscles maximizes, allowing incredible feats of strength for a short time. Sensory input is more finely tuned. Every smell, sight, sound and scent is overwhelming, and you better believe I was about to put it good use on whoever was silly enough to chase me.

I was so focused on the hallway in front of me, so caught up in the tension of waiting, that I actually paused when that pony finally came flying around the corner. Good thing too, as it turns out that it would have been regrettable if I had unleashed a magical barrage without first identifying my target, who let out a shout as he careened to a halt a few paces from me, gasping for breath. "I thought I would never catch you!"

"Beam? What are you doing here?" I glared at my relatively new friend from Ponyville as he panted, wings hanging limply by his sides. "Hurry up, you have any idea why I'm here?"

"I know exactly why you're here, and I'm telling you it's a lie!"

I'm not going to lie, when he said that, I completely missed the point. I stomped a hoof and shook my head. "My wife is in here somewhere, and I'm trying to find her! Either help me, or go home!"

I give him credit, Beaming Light is a persistent bastard when he needs to be. "I told you, it's all a lie!" He shouted again, reaching back to a small saddle bag and removing a sheaf of papers, throwing them in my general direction. "Those are letters, from your wife to some scumbag in Canterlot. Here, this one," he growled lowly, walking forward to stuff a certain piece of paper in front of me. I glared at him again, before beginning to read. It was definitely my wife's writing, I could tell. The letter was short and lacking any preamble, leaving the recipient's name unknown.

"Everything is going fine. We have lived in Ponyville for a few weeks now, and he is fairly easy to live with. I think we might be able to succeed, given a few months. The only problem is that he has been estranged from his father for a time now, and has no idea the wealth his family name now carries. I think he should be educated, less our ruse fail. I can promise your patience will be rewarded.

- Maybelline."

I blinked and shook my head. "What in hellfire is this all about?" I stared at Beam, expecting him to stutter something about snooping about while working at the mail room, as he does when bored, but instead he grew more agitated.

"It's a scheme! Your father, you mentioned a few weeks ago that you spoke with him for the first time in years. You said that he had started a freight company, and is now one of the most successful business ponies on the western coast. You see now?"

I did in fact remember telling him about that. Maybelline had told me that I should try to contact my parents again, after several years of no contact. I shook my head again, dropping the letter and grabbing other from the floor in front of me, reading each in a growing frenzy. Here I was, in the middle of a desperate rescue mission, and now some pony just comes along and messes it all up with evidence that it was fallacy.

"No, no, nonono, this is impossible," I mumbled as I scanned the letters. Each was some sort of progress update, letters from Maybelline to some anonymous pony, usually about how "Everything is going as planned." A few had more details, but they were almost always about my father, or how easy it would or wouldn't be to convince me to go to unspecified locations. I felt a burning in my cheeks, and realized that for some idiotic reason, I was blushing.

After another moment of frantic reading, I realized why I was blushing. I was embarrassed at being played a fool. The more I read, the more I understood, or so I hoped. The past several months had been lies, possibly even more. I shuddered at the possibility that two years of my life had been spent in vain, devoting all my time and bits to a false cause. I sat among the papers, staring blankly. Beam walked up to me and placed a hoof on my shoulder.

"See, my friend? All a scheme. She's pretending to be kidnapped, and they're hoping you'll pay some obnoxious amount of bits to get her free. She'd probably divorce you after that, and run off with this other stallion, rich for the rest of their days. I have not much more to give you than these letters, but if you want my help, I'm here."

I sat silently for a few more moments, overcome by indecision. I couldn't believe this, I didn't want to accept what these papers told me. I stared at the writing for a short time, trying to find any evidence that these were not in Maybelline's writing, but they positively were. There was even the familiar faint oval impression on some of the papers, left by the small oval indention of the writing desk in our bedroom. I remember walking in on her writing something that she quickly hid, claiming it was "girl talk" with some of her mare friends and it wasn't for stallion eyes. Such glorious bullshit.

I sighed and leaned my head back, looking at the ceiling. Beam smiled at me encouragingly. I met his gaze evenly. "Take these, and go back to Ponyville," I said. "If I'm not back by morning, take them to the authorities." Beam's smile faltered a bit. "Are you sure? I'm already here, you might could use a second set of hooves in case things get rough." I had to smile at that. Beam, loyal to the last. "I'm sure. I'll help you gather them."

We began to collect the letters from the floor in silence, which turned out to be a good idea. Not a second after the last letter was reunited with its brethren in Beam's bag, hoofsteps could be heard coming from down one of the halls I had been so panicked in choosing between a few minutes ago. Shushing Beam once more, I motioned for him to leave silently, which he thankfully did. A moment later it was just me, the shadows, and the echoes of steps on the hardwood floor.

Picking a position in the dead center of the hall, I sat down and did my best to appear nonchalant. I waited as patiently as I could for the approaching pony to come into view, but the past few days had stretched my nerves to the absolute limit, and I found myself almost calling out for them to hurry up and let's get this over with.

At length, I saw a shape, a vague silhouette as a pony passed near to one of the candles mounted on the wall. He was still a ways down, coming form the right passage, so I sat tight. I could tell when he noticed me by when the hoofsteps faltered for a moment, then resumed. I waited for him to walk in front of another lamp, but he must have been hugging the far wall, as the candles didn't quite illuminate the entire width of the floor. Finally, he emerged from the darkness and I got a good look at him.

He looked like a thousand other boring Canterlot snobs I used to know. A steel grey coat, a slick black mane, silver spectacles, a pretty polished horn, and a red bow tie around his neck. I could have seen him a hundred times and never remembered him, but he seemed to remember me.

"Ah, the savior has arrived at last. Tell me, how goes your heroic rescue?" He giggled a bit, finding his quip incredibly humorous. His voice was the exact oily tone I grew far too accustomed to in Canterlot. I decided to be frank, if nothing else.

"I know about the scheme. You'll get no bits from me."

He was good, I give him that. That irritating smirk barely shrunk as he eyed me. "So, it would seem we are at an impasse." he hissed. "Wouldn't you like to see your lovely wife again?"

Now it was my turn to smirk, and I could tell that caught him off guard. "Oh, I know about all her involvement as well," I growled. His smirk all but gone, I saw him try and fail to swallow the lump in his throat. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it. Opening it again, he managed to get some words out this time. "Well, I must admit I did not expect that," he choked out.

I thought about talking some more, but I decided on an alternate course of action. Dipping my head in his direction, I turned and began walking back down the hallway I had been frantically skidding down minutes before. I felt strange melancholy, the kind you feel when you know your life fell apart but you couldn't care any less. As I left the mansion, I held my head high, as I felt I was the victor in this circumstance.

One last thing....

My smirk grew into a demented grin as one last idea popped into my head. Turning, I approached the front door, a large wood affair. Igniting my horn, I set a patch of fire at the base. Stepping back, I fueled the fire with magic until it engulfed the whole door, then let it loose. The blaze was now large enough to continue on its own, and it grew with a magnificent appetite. Before too long, I was sitting a fair distance back as to not lose any hair from the heat. The entire place was burning pleasantly. All I could think about was that I hoped that the two scheming fools could not escape, and were now roasting, leaving naught but ash.

Sometimes, I think I'm too morbid for my own good.

Comments ( 24 )

Well, in typical me form, I did all options. Delightful story there. Really crazy too. Love'd every minute of reading it. You should try something like this again.

2613981 You're supposed to do all the options, to get the full story. ;} So tell me, which was the happy ending?

2614594 all of them. But yet none of them. It's all your perception. Avoiding details for spoilers, but depending on how you perceived what was going on, any of them could have been happy. Though I did go left first. Conscious decision too. 'When in doubt, go left!' Always confuse people with that, and I know the whole psychology thing on it too. But there's no real reasoning behind me going left.

So I waited first. Does this make me smart, stupid, or have the ability to start with either foot when walking? (P.S. Love how you ended this)

2615071 ding ding ding, this guy gets it.

2617007 it means you clicked the middle button. :pinkiesmile:

I went all three ways. Does that mean I'm currently in three different dimensions now? :unsuresweetie:

Also, I'd say the 2nd ending was the best (right). He killed both the schemers and didn't have his heart broken, so it was all "good."

Indeed, a suitably mad story both in design and content; well done. A madman you may indeed be, sire.

You're still no wizard, though. :moustache:


3376212
And hello, Muffins.

Each time you experience that wonderful rush as the neuroreceptors in your brain are flooded with adrenaline, you change.

Adrenaline is a hormone. Noradrenaline is the neurotransmitter.
Seriously, it's like you aren't even trying. This is basic knowledge. :facehoof:

I rather enjoyed these three endings. Very nice way to weave a tale! My only question is what happened to Beam when we went Right? Or are we just supposed to assume he went the other way and perished in the protagonist's inferno? Or did I just miss where you mentioned him?

The way I saw it, there were only two strategies: move forward or about-face.

The first would then demand a random pick, as I was clueless as to where the wife might be. But it would also force the (most likely hostile) pursuer(s) into the same coin toss to find the protagonist.

The second would exhaust any chance to escape the (again most likely hostile) pursuer(s). But the protagonist seemed hot-blooded enough to beat the correct direction out of the enemy.

I decided to read the "Wait" chapter. Rule of cool, perhaps. I would sooner have the protagonist lose to his assailants than to a broom closet.

This chapter gave me an impression of victory and corruption. You won, "hero".

Then I read the two remaining chapters.

And now I am puzzled. I would believe that Beam told it true and Maybelline had it all planned for money, only she got double-crossed by Silver Spectacles who actually wanted to realize some villain fantasy involving a showdown among deathtraps. Otherwise, either a certain friend is lying or the antagonists are lunatics of the "step three: profit" variety.

3378714
I want to know that too. And how do you do the mouseovers?

Meh, all ends are up to your own speculation.

3376212 All three dimensions? Maybe. Ask The Doctor. :P

3376431 If you think my story is mad, you should watch me drive. :rainbowwild:

3377959 I'm a mechanic, not a cognitive scientist. I know how adrenaline feels, not how it works. :raritywink: I'm sorry you didn't like it, but it isn't for everyone. :moustache: (as for the left-right thing, yes, there are many.)

3378714 I confess, that is a rather gaping hole. You have me. :raritydespair:

3379025

And now I am puzzled.

Goal: Achieved.

3379230 As was the point of the story. :twilightsmile:

3379388 Well I don't think it's that large of a problem. Maybe Beam's stuck in a Time Loop and that pressure plate is his horrifyingly swift death every time, unless you Wait for him! You could always add a sentence somewhere in Right that gives us a little hint when the protagonist hears the sound of somepony exploding violently, but that might just be too much effort for the poor, possibly defenseless friend/schemer/innocent bystander.

3379025 The mouseovers are the spoiler tags - spoiler = [ spoiler]spoiler[ /spoiler] without the underlined spaces (As far as I know, you gotta type 'em out each time. I don't know the keyboard shortcut, if one exists). Note: when overdone in a post, they get really annoying! See above. Also has the side effect of making you read things like you would on TvTropes...

I must say, this story is wonderfully crafted. Is all of the information you are fed in this correct, like the letters Beam gave you? Either way, choosing to go left was my most desired option. Right appeals to a part of my story-teller's self-abusive side, and so does waiting. Either way, this entire scenario could've been just another scene in yet another story, yet you have illuminated it to the point where it is a story in and of itself. Congrats! :pinkiehappy:

Eh, that was a pretty neat little story. After recently playing several hours of The new Stanley Parable though, I can't say that it's the best and most vast choose your own adventure thing I've experienced. But I'm sure you weren't really shooting for that that, and I still enjoyed it.

3379766 Now that people are actually reading, I just might have to go fix some of those annoying errors.

3380007 it is all up to your interpretation. :pinkiesmile: i did think of making a whole book out of it, but then I remembered I work and go to school full time and a half and have no free time.

3381331 I wish I had the time and dedication to craft an entire world CYOE style. But, see above.

3381750 Good ending? :trixieshiftright:

Felt more like a Rashomon-style fic than a CYOA, but still, I liked the way you used the different paths to frame different parts of the story, and how you can only get the full picture if you read all of them.

3405889 Believability.

3377942

If that's all you got from this fiction, you shouldn't be reading fiction.

Just saying.

3419853 Way to imply things, capt'n.

Well I did all the endings and I gotta say that Wait is the best. Not necessarily happy but Id rather know the whole truth. I don't have much to say about the Left ending and Right is the happiest but both are ignorant when I take into account the Wait option. Good story btw. But I must admit that I skimmed all those filler paragraphs about adrenaline and whatnot that, according to G-AB Acid, is misrepresented anyways. You should do another story like this but with more content.

3377936Yup, this part is true. (Meaning there isn't really any definitive evidence for this.) But don't let science get in the way of fiction, eh? :twilightsheepish:

3575686 Try again when you've actually studied physiology. Like I have. :twilightsmile:

Well then, am I just glad that I did the Wait Ending first. I had an entire room to myself and I can flee to one of the corridors if I was overpowered by the pony (Beam) so I said "why not?" and clicked the option.

Login or register to comment