• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 8,544 Views, 228 Comments

Shining's Log - Zulaq



Shining Armor has many secrets. The first is that he has a diary, that he lovingly calls his Shining's Logs. And the second is that he is a reincarnated human.

  • ...
17
 228
 8,544

Shining's Log: Summer Sun-Book Learning

Shining’s Log-Entry: Summer Sun Celebration

Ok, so maybe Cadence is turning out to be an alright foalsitter. She seems to have infinite patience when talking with Sis. She’s willing to answer almost any question Twily has, and always seems to know exactly what sort of games Twily would enjoy. After almost every session, Twily talks non-stop about all the things that they did together. She seems to be a genuinely nice pony, princess or not.

I just can’t seem to find anything wrong with her. Which is a problem. A very big problem, seeing as we, kinda, sorta have a tendency to get into arguments. It’s just not cool that I don’t have anything on her, while she keeps bringing up how I keep returning from Uncle Jewel’s training sweaty and dirty all over. One of these days, I’m going to take her with me to training, and see how she looks by the end of it.

In other news and probably extremely importantly, one of the milestones in Twilight’s life that I remember from the series happened. Namely, Twily and our parents attended the Summer Sun Celebration when it was held here in Canterlot. Twily had been talking about it all week, and it was be hard to not get caught up in her enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I couldn’t go, having pulled a muscle, and all that walking and such a large crowd would have made it worse. This meant that the festival happened almost exactly the way she told the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Although, in the week since she’s been trying out using magic (and generally failing), she hasn’t tried reading yet. Which makes me wonder, is my presence making a difference? Twily wants to learn magic, just like in the series, but she hasn't yet trying to read every book she can get her hooves on. Is that my influence, or is it just that studying just hasn’t occurred to her yet?

Shining Armor, Signing Off

It was raining in Canterlot. Most ponies in the city had made their ways indoors already, but there were still one or two stragglers about. One of them, Shining Armor, was trotting along, with a smile on his face, not even making an attempt to stay out of the downpour. When he reached his home, he opened the door and let himself in.

Immediately, he was assaulted by small lavender filly. “Big brother,” she shouted, hugging him, “You’re home!” She then noticed that he was dripping wet. “Eww,” she scooted backwards, “you’re wet all over!”

“That’s cuz it’s raining outside, little sis,” Shining replied, “At least this time, Cadence can’t complain that I stink!”

“No,” interrupted the mentioned cerise alicorn, “but I can say that you look like the weather ponies attempted to drown you.”

“Naw,” waved off Shining Armor, “I just wasn’t trying to dodge the raindrops.”

“Like that’s even possible,” Cadence snorted.

“I’m fairly certain that Uncle Jewel plans to go over how to do it next week,” Shining said cockily.

“Wow!” Twilight interrupted their argument, “That’ll be soo cool!”

“I’m sure it will be,” Cadence told the filly, before turning to the colt, “Anyway, I’ve got to get going. Your mother said that she’d be back home in about an hour from now. But I’ve got some thing’s that Aunt Celly wants me to do, so I can’t stay.”

“No prob,” responded Shining easily, “I always love spending time with Twily.”

“I’m sure,” Cadence said with a smile. She opened the front door. But before she stepped out she turned to Twilight, “Now you be good for you big brother. Ok Twilight?”

“Always,” Twilight assured her, “I’d never do anything bad!”

“Of course,” Cadence laughed, as she closed the door.

The brother-sister duo looked at each other for a moment, before Shining Armor piped up, “So, what were you and Cadence doing earlier?”

“Oh,” Twilight said excitedly, “we did lots of things! We went on a picnic, then she told me a story. And then she showed me some of her magic!”

“Oh really?” Shining questioned in an interested manner, “And what magic did she show you?”

“It was really, really neat!” the filly expounded, “There were these arguing ponies, and they were all in each other faces like, grr.” She spead her forward hooves out and stuck out her face, giving an exaggerated growl, “And then Cadence came along, and her horn glowed, and all of a sudden they stopped going grr, and started actually talking! It was soo neat!”

The little filly started bouncing, “Magic is soo cool! First Princess Celestia raises the sun, and then Cadence makes the arguing ponies stop fighting! I want to learn how to do things like that!” she stopped gushing, and leaned forward conspiratorily, “In fact, I’ve started trying to do magic myself! Want’a see?”

“Sure Twily!” Shining said happily, “Show me what you’ve got!”

“First up, making things float!” Twilight cheered. Before closing her eyes and twisting her face into a super-concentrated look. A small spark flew from her horn. And a light purple glow surrounded a vase on a table next to the front door. The vase floated up, but the glow around it faded out, and it started crashing to the ground.

Shining Armor was quick to react, and a rose colored glow quickly surrounded the vase. It halted less than two inches above the ground. It then gently rose back to its starting position.

“Aww.” Whined Twilight, with a disappointed look on her face, “I didn’t do it right.” She turned to her brother, with an expectant look on her face, “Can you tell me how to do it right, big brother?”

“Uhh,” Shining hemmed, before raising a hoof and rubbing his mane, “I’m not really good at explaining things like that.” Seeing the disappointed look on his sister’s face, he quickly added, “I think I remember a good book on levitation that might help.”

“A book?” the young filly questioned, “What could a book tell me?”

“Books tell us lots of things, Twily,” her brother assured her, “They’ll be able to tell you the best way to do just about everything!”

“Everything, everything?” Twilight questioned uncertainly.

“Everything,” Shining said with certainty. He gestured with a hoof, “Now come along, I think I have just the book to help you with your levitation.”

The pair started trotting further into the interior of the house. Twilight wore a look of concentration on her face. Once the two of them reached the family library, Shining looked around the many shelves of books. Finding what he was looking for, he lifted up a particular book with his magic, and brought it over to the desk in the middle of the room.

“Here you go Twily,” he said, setting the book titled, Levitation for Children, down, “If you read this you’ll be able to get floating things down in no time.”

“So when I read this,” she began, “I’ll get better at floating things?” At her brothers nod, she continued, “What if I read the other books in here? Would they help me get better at other things?”

“I guarantee it,” he Shining told her with a broad smile.

“Then I’m going to read every single one of them!” she declared, “And by the time I’m done, I’ll be the best magic pony ever!”

“If anypony could do it,” Shining said, with an odd timber to his voice, “It’ll be you.”

Twilight hugged him. “Thanks big brother! You’re the best friend I could ever ask for.”

“Forever,” Shining told her, with a cocky smile.