• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 8,544 Views, 228 Comments

Shining's Log - Zulaq



Shining Armor has many secrets. The first is that he has a diary, that he lovingly calls his Shining's Logs. And the second is that he is a reincarnated human.

  • ...
17
 228
 8,544

Shining's Log: Superior Officers

“Sergeant Shining Armor, reporting as ordered, sir!” Shining Armor saluted the armored Pegasus who was on the other side of the desk.

Thunder Flare, the large dark blue Pegasus who was the Captain of the Guard, frowned. “At ease, Sergeant.”

Shining Armor didn’t relax, even though he dropped his salute. The Pegasus was intimidating with his missing left eye.

The Captain of the Guard gazed over his desk. “I wish to discuss your upcoming assignment, in particular, your duties regarding Princess Cadenza.”

Shining barely held back a flinch.

“While Major Mirage’s briefing was probably up to his usual, rigorous, standards, there are certain, patterns, which you should be made aware of before beginning your mission to Nieghpon.” The Captain sighed, “Princess Cadenza is an important pony, and she has yet to have a trip outside of Canterlot which has not run into… Difficulties.”

The Captain shuffled some of the papers on his desk. “Let’s see, she’s been attacked by bandits four times, three kidnapping attempts, two attempted poisonings, and ten marriage proposals, just on her last trip to the Griffin territories.” Thunder Flare sighed, “And each of her previous journeys have similar numbers of incidents.”

Shining’s jaw dropped open. “Begging your pardon sir, but why?”

“Because she’s a Princess,” Thunder’s glare implied that he considered that obvious. “Anypony who’s got anything against Equestria is going to try something against her just for that. And that’s not taking into account the fact she’s an Alicorn, one of only two in the known world. There are certain, unscrupulous, ponies out there who might want her simply for her powerful magics, or her immortality, or even to try and breed children with her traits.” The glare eased up, slightly. “And it is now your job to protect her.”

“Sir, I would protect her with my life!” Shining’s eyes had anger in them, “I would never let anything like that happen to her!

“I know you would, you are a guard. That is not in question.” Thunder Flare paused a moment, before continuing, “I called you here because you are in a unique position among the guard.”

“Sir?”

“I’m referring to your ‘special’ relationship with Princess Cadenza.”

Shining Armor snapped into an alert position. “Sir, my personal life is personal and none of your business.”

Thunder Flare chuckled. “You’re in a relationship with a Princess, that makes it my business. The two of you may be keeping your relationship low key, but it is my job to know the comings and goings of those who live in this castle.” Shining bristled even further, but the Captain continued, “Fortunately there are no regulations which prohibit that sort of relationship, so long as you do not let it interfere with your duties.”

Shining frowned. “Sir, I’m unsure if I am able to make such a commitment. If it came between saving Cadence and completing a mission, I believe I would save Cadence.”

“Fortunately for you, the overriding mission of the Guard is to protect the Princesses, so that would be the correct choice for a guardspony to make. The value of the Princesses cannot be understated, and their protection is paramount.” Thunder Flare explained, a glint in his eye, “If I could I’d assign guards to them round the clock, if it weren’t for the fact that they wouldn’t allow it. But your relationship with Princess Cadenza opens up new avenues for me to explore. A chance for a guard to be with her at all times, at her invitation even, is invaluable.”

Shining backed away slightly from the guard captain. “Sir, I am certain that that is not appropriate. To use my relationship with Cadence in the manner you are implying is disrespectful to the wishes of the princesses. When I am with Cadence, I am her coltfriend, not her guard. Yes, if something were to come up, I would protect her, but when I am with her, I am there for her.”

“And again, that is perfectly fine. So long as you are willing to protect her if the need should arise. Quite frankly, I will sleep easier knowing that there will be a guard-trained pony within a leglength of her even when she’s in private.”

“Again, sir, that would be an abuse of our relationship. And besides,” Shining blushes, “we’re not that intimate yet.”

“I see.” Thunder Flare tossed his head and his nostrils flared. “Then I’ll make this simple. Keep Princess Cadenza in your sight at all times. I don’t care if it’s as her guard, or as her coltfriend, you will be near her at all times. Understood.”

---

Shining’s Log-Entry: The Captain’s Insane

I’ve never had a one on one meeting with the Captain of the Guard before today, but our meeting today told me all I need to know. He’s nuts. He’s a zealot when it comes to the protection of the Princesses, and he doesn’t care about who gets trampled underfoot hoof.

I can understand why he’d think protecting them is important, I guess. Princess Celestia moves the Sun and the Moon, and if anything were to happen to her, it’d be up to Cadence (at least until Luna returns), but that’s no reason to try and butt into their private lives. They may be Princesses, but they’re ponies first, and everybody pony, needs some time to relax as just themselves.

And any threat I can think which might be actually able to harm the Princesses? Well, I kind of doubt that a simple guard could deal with it. In fact of the two threats which I know the Princess can't deal with, namely Nightmare Moon and Discord, are so far out of my league it's not even funny.

And- And- Oh dear, what am I going to tell Cadence? That my superior’s gone nuts and wants me to butt into her personal life? She’d kill me. And then Captain Flare, but she'd kill me first.

Shining Armor, Signing Off