• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 8,527 Views, 228 Comments

Shining's Log - Zulaq



Shining Armor has many secrets. The first is that he has a diary, that he lovingly calls his Shining's Logs. And the second is that he is a reincarnated human.

  • ...
17
 228
 8,527

Shining's Log: Confessions

“OK, so why did you want to meet me, Shiny?” Princess Cadence questioned her companion, the white unicorn stallion Shining Armor. The pair were standing on a bridge over a stream in one of Canterlot’s many parks. It was a beautiful sunny day.

“I-, uh, I-,” Shining stammered and blushed, “I wanted to talk to you about some things that occurred while I was away.”

Cadence raised an eyebrow. “This doesn’t have something to do with your promotion, Sergeant Armor, does it?”

“Kinda, sorta?” Shining replied uncertainly, “I mean back when the fort came under attack-“

“Wait,” Cadence interrupted, worry crossing her features, “the fort was attacked?!”

Shining looked taken aback, “Well yes, didn’t you read the report? I thought that was how you knew I was promoted, don’t you know the circumstances behind it?”

“Well, no,” Cadence admitted, “Aunt Celly just told me you had been promoted. For some reason, she thought I would be interested.”

“Ah,” Shining sighed and hung his head, “This is going to be harder than I thought then.” He raised his head back up, and looked in Cadence’s general direction, although his eyes were not focused on her. “I got promoted for fending off one windigo attack, and enduring a second one while fixing the wards.”

“A windigo attack!” Cadence spluttered, “Wha-, how-, huh?”

“Well, two windigo attacks,” admitted Shining testily, “But that wasn’t really what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“You drop something like that on my back, and don’t expect me to buck?” Cadence snapped, “I’m more concerned about you. Were you hurt? What exactly happened? How did you get away?”

“No I wasn’t hurt,” Shining replied, “I actually got through both attacks with barely a scratch. It’s more how exactly the attacks ended which I wanted to talk to you about,” he took a deep breath, before continuing, “You see, the second time we were attacked, the fire of friendship drove them off, and recharged the wards-“

“Wait a minute,” Cadence breathed, “you actually saw the fire of friendship? I thought that was just a story!”

“It’s more than just a story,” Shining looked around, avoiding Cadence’s eyes, “And it’s actually the second time I’ve seen it.”

“Second time?” Cadence questioned.

“The first time isn’t really important,” Shining replied carefully, “And the fire of friendship isn’t really what I wanted to talk about,” he paused before soldiering on, “The fire of friendship was able to repel the windigos’ second attack. The first time, it was something else.”

“Something else?”

“Well, what do you know about the power of love?" Shining questioned, although he winced as he did so.

“Well given that I’m the princess of love,” Cadence said flatly, “quite a bit,” She paused, disbelief crossed her face “Wait, you’re not saying-“

“-that the power of love was enough to force the windigos to retreat when they attacked the fort,” Shining finished for her, “I know it’s kinda cheesy. But I honestly think it was love. But to be honest the only pony I know who would know for certain is, well, you.”

“I guess I could check it out,” Cadence replied, with confusion in her eyes, “A love powered spell on the level you’re talking about would leave evidence long after it was used. Just bring me the caster and I’ll give them a once over.”

“Ah, I was the one who used it,” he admitted with a blush, “I created a shield large enough to cover the entire fort, which caused them to flee.”

Cadence burst out laughing. “Now I know you’re having me on!” she spoke between giggles, “A shield the size of a fort? You expect me to believe that?”

“Just check the magic,” Shining growled out angrily, “I’m not lying.” He took a deep breath, before looking her straight in the eyes. “I’d never lie to you,” he said softly, “On my honor, I will never lie to you.”

Cadence looked taken aback. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check,” she admitted, “Just hold still, it should only take a moment.” She closed her eyes, and a light-blue glow appeared around her horn. It stayed glowing as she started muttering, “Some powerful friendship magic. Rock, Fiery, the fire of friendship. And let’s see, under that,” she gasped, “A powerful love-based spell matrix…” she opened her eyes, and meet Shining’s gaze, “That’s some absurdly powerful magic. I didn’t know any pony other than me or Aunt Celly could use love magic that strong,” her horn continued to glow, “Love for your family, your mother, your father, your uncle, your sister. Love for your friends, love for your home. And-“ she blushed deeply and looked away, the glow from her horn fading, “-love for me.”

Shining Armor blushed deeply. “That’s, kinda, sorta what I wanted to talk to you about,” he stammered, “I, uh, wanted to-“ he stopped speaking, and his blush deepened.

Cadence continued to blush, and avoid Shining Armor’s gaze. “You wanted to confess?” she questioned.

Shining nodded.

“And here I go, ruining an evening I’m sure you planned out to the last detail,” she sighed.

Shining raised a hoof and rubbed his mane. “I, uh,” he stammered sheepishly, “I didn’t really plan it out,” he admitted, “I’ve been winging it.”

Cadence swung her head around, and met Shining’s sheepish gaze. She burst out laughing, a massive grin on her face.

“Hey,” Shining protested, wearing a matching grin, “I figured winging it’s gotten me out of fixes before, why not try it again?”

Cadence’s laughter intensified. “Shining Armor, you dolt,” she barely managed to get out, “You really have no clue how this is supposed to work, do you?”

“Nope,” he stated proudly.

“Don’t ever change,” Cadence stated wistfully, “You’re macho, dive right in attitude is just one of the things I love about you.”

“Just one of the things?” Shining questioned with a raised brow and a grin.

“Yep,” she chirped, “I also love your friendly nature, and your determination to protect everypony you can,” she winked at Shining, “If only we could pair that with some better planning skills.”

“Hey, everypony has their faults,” Shining admitted in good cheer, “I’m just not a planner. Nor have I ever claimed to be such.”

“The I guess it falls to me to plan our first date, then?” she questioned playfully.

“Yes it falls on-“ he did a double take, “Wait, what?”

“I said, since somepony’s admitted to a lack of planning, it falls upon me to plan our first date,” she rubbed her chin with a hoof, “Maybe something simple, maybe a picnic?”

“Date?” Shining questioned, dazed.

“Yes, a date, silly,” Cadence grinned, “You’ve admitted you like me. What did you think was going to happen?”

“I didn’t, I already admitted I don’t think things out.”

“Then I’ll make things as simple as I can,” she playfully stated, “Tomorrow, at 6:30, you and I will meet here in this park. Then you will escort me to a pleasant, but nearby restaurant, where we will have a nice meal. After which, we will return to this park, and do some stargazing for an hour or so. At the end of the date, you’ll escort me back to the palace, and we will part, only to spend the rest of the evening thinking of each other.” She grinned broadly, “How does that work for you?”

“Then I better clear my schedule for tomorrow then,” Shining stated with a grin, “I bow before your superior planning abilities.”

“You had better,” Cadence replied, “I’ve only been studying planning and management under the best mare in Equestria.”

“Twily’s been into the books on time management again?” Shining questioned playfully, “Careful you don’t want to start making lists about making lists to organize your life.”

“Shining Armor, you dolt,” Cadence replied with a grin, “No, although I think you could learn a thing or two from your sister.”

Both of them shared a long laugh.