• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 8,538 Views, 228 Comments

Shining's Log - Zulaq



Shining Armor has many secrets. The first is that he has a diary, that he lovingly calls his Shining's Logs. And the second is that he is a reincarnated human.

  • ...
17
 228
 8,538

Shining's Log: The Beginning, and the Birth

Dear Journal,

There must be a better way to phrase that. Dear Diary… Too girly.

Entry 1, too cold...

Captain’s log, too spacy...

I need something cool. Something me.

I know,

Shining’s Log! With that settled let’s start this again.

Shining’s Log-Entry the First

My name is Shining Armor. Well at least it is now. That is what my loving parents named me, and I’ve never had another name in this life.

Except that’s the key, this life.

This life I lead. This life where I’m a white unicorn stallion, living in a world of ponies. This life I live in a fairy tale city, with two loving parents, and sibling on the way. Except, it’s not the first life I’ve lived.

In my first life I was a human. I lived a relatively normal, if somewhat quiet life. I love my parents and my brother, even though we all had issues which we had to deal with. And then I died.

But none of that is really relevant to my life now, except for one teeny, tiny detail. The world I live in now is an almost perfect match for the one depicted in a cartoon which I used to watch, My Little Pony. I used to watch it almost religiously, even though it wasn’t really a show aimed at people like me. I have seen the entire first season, but they were only partway through the second season when I died.

The stuff I learned from the show was really helpful when I was born again. It really helped me make sense of this strange new world I found myself in. Although some of the things depicted in the show may give me a bit of worry, I know that Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy will be there at the right moments in time to save the day. So therefore my family and I have nothing to worry about.

Moving on to another topic, magic is soo cool! And being able to do magic yourself is even better! I never knew how empowering it can be to be able to do things, simply though a little bit of concentration. I wonder if that’s why on the show Twilight loves magic too. The only downside is the fact that my magic always glows pink when in use. Really, I mean I know in my past life I wasn’t exactly the paragon of manliness, but I really, really didn’t like pink. Although I guess if pink is the tradeoff to being able to use magic, I can’t really complain (especially in a world literally made of pretty pastel ponies, I imagine there are many, many emasculating ways things could have gone).

In fact, it’s by using magic that I can even write this log at all. Don’t get me wrong, hooves are great, and you can do far, far more with them than you would think at first glance, but I can be somewhat of a klutz at times, especially when trying to write (even in my former life, chicken scratch is perhaps a bit generous for a comparison to my handwriting), but fortunately magic makes up for a lot (especially my penmanship).

I suppose I should really get to why exactly I’m starting a journal, err, log. At first it started with a suggestion from my mother. She thought I could use a diary to keep my thoughts in order, get my anxiety out and practice writing (I’m fairly certain that the last one was most important in her mind). All three are good points, but what I decided I really needed is someplace to put down some of my otherworldly knowledge. And to that end, I’ve written this entire log in English, a language which I have seen absolutely no sign that anypony around here even knows exists.

I suppose I should get around to actually sharing my relevant knowledge. After all I don’t want this to just be one big waste of time, now do I? Most of this stuff are things that I don’t think I’ll forget anytime soon, but I want in writing so I can remind myself if something goes critically wrong. I suppose I should start with the characters in the show, first (and probably most important) is Twilight Sparkle, the personal student of Princess Celestia (and let me just say wow! Working with magic in this life gives me some appreciation as to how hard she’d have had to work in order learn all the spells she knows. Much less to catch the attention of somepony like Celestia!), who learned of the imminent return of Nightmare Moon, only to be sent to Ponyville to organize a celebration. It’s there that she meets her best friends (and fellow wielders of the Elements of Harmony), who I listed earlier, and redeem the Princess Luna. Now I know that hasn’t happened yet, seeing as how I’ve heard absolutely no information about a second princess, and given that I live in Canterlot (where the Princess rules from), those around me would probably be the first to know. So I am fairly certain that I’m probably before the start of the series, although I’m not really sure by how long, or even what I should do about it. There are other events which occur in the series, but I think I can wait for another log entry to write about those.

Besides this log entry is getting somewhat long, I should probably wrap up. But let me say, it’s a weight off my back to write this down. Anything else I need to say can be put in my next entry. After all, I have more important things to think about. Like the upcoming birth of my baby brother or sister!

Shining Armor, Signing Off

It was a bright sunny day in Canterlot. There were many ponies out and about, doing their daily tasks, but for two unicorns standing in the waiting room of the Canterlot Hospital it was far from a normal day.

The younger of the two, a white unicorn colt with an electric blue mane and tail, was pacing the room, muttering incomprehensible nonsense under his breath, regularly glancing at the door to the adjoining room where his mother was giving birth to his younger brother or sister. The other one, a blue unicorn stallion with an even darker blue mane and tail, and a cutie mark depicting a crescent moon with a small crescent moon inside it, was watching his son pace the room, a small glint of amusement in his eyes.

“You need to calm down, Shining.” The older one chided his son, “Pacing isn’t going to make things go faster.”

“But Dad,” Shining retorted, “Mom’s been in there for half an hour already! What if something’s gone wrong?”

“But nothing, son. It took your mother two hours to deliver you, and that was a completely normal birth. I’m not going to get worried until at least three hours have passed.”

“Funny thing for you to say!” a booming voice interrupted the father-son duo, “According to your father, you fainted five minutes in to your sister’s birth.” The one speaking turned out to be a gray unicorn stallion with dual white and green mane and tail, wearing a wide smile, “Or at least that’s what he told me at your wedding.”

“Don’t believe a word he said,” Shining’s father smiled warmly, “I passed out. Stallions do not faint.”

“Uncle Jewel,” Shining cried, “you came! I thought you said you’d be out of town.”

“Now I wouldn’t miss the birth of my new niece or nephew!” Jewel said with a wink, “Besides, Velvet would kill me, if I wasn’t here.”

“I’m sure she wouldn’t take it that far,” the other stallion said, “I’m sure she’d only keep it to a couple of comments at the next few family dinners.”

“You say that like it’s not as bad, Night,” Jewel smirked, “You know how good she can be with guilt trips, don’t you? I’d spend all evening feeling bad, and then I wouldn’t be in the proper mood to play with my favorite nephew,” he finished with a wink at Shining Armor.

“I’m your only nephew, uncle.” Shining pointed out in return.

“For how long I wonder?” Jewel retorted playfully, “After all, who knows, if your mother has another son, he might become my favorite!”

“Now Jewel,” interrupted Night, “that’s a terrible thing to say to him. We’ll all love all of our children equally. No favorites involved.”

“If you say so,” Jewel said, chastised. Before he turned his head directly to Shining Armor, brought a hoof up to his muzzle, to block Night’s view of him, and mouthed, ‘You’ll be my favorite!’ to Shining. Shining grinned broadly in response.

Night Light looked like he was about to call out his brother-in-law on his actions, but the trio was interrupted by a nurse coming through the door. “It’s done,” she said gently, “she’s given birth to a girl, and both mother and daughter are in fine shape.”

“It’s a girl,” Shining said, somewhat off-balance.

“It’s a girl?” his father echoed.

“It’s a girl!” his uncle shouted.

“It’s a girl,” the nurse completed with a smile, “Now come this way, please.”

The nurse led the three stallions through the hospital to a small private room.

In the room was a grey unicorn mare was sitting on a bed, cradling a pink bundle in her hooves. She smiled widely when she saw the three men, “Look,” she said contentedly, “Meet your new bundle of joy, Night. And your new sister, Shining.”

Shining Armor and Night Light moved as close to the bed as possible, while Jewel hanged back. Shining did his best to get his smaller form into a position where he could see the new foal inside the bundle his mother was carrying, but he was too short.

Eventually, Shining ended up putting his forehooves on the bed in order to actually get a look at his new sister. Inside the little bundle was a lavender filly, with a two toned blue and purple mane, and a cute little horn on her forehead. That specific color combination seemed somewhat important to Shining, but he ignored it in favor of asking a question to his mother, “What’s her name?”

“Twilight Sparkle,” his mother sighed with a content smile on her face.

“Twilight Sparkle,” his father said, seemingly chewing on the words, “I love it. And I love her,” he finished with a wide grin.

“Twili-,” with that half completed name, Shining Armor fainted.