• Published 20th May 2013
  • 8,500 Views, 193 Comments

Best Chance for a Romance - Crosis



When Blueblood agrees to help Spike find love at the Gala, he has no idea that the dragon's paramour already has her sights set on him, not to mention that another mare has plans of her own for Spike. -Heart to Heart Sequel-

  • ...
14
 193
 8,500

2. So Far, So Good...

Chapter Two up and running. Much like the episode, this one's a bit sappy and fluffy before things go downhill for everypony involved. Enjoy!

Love works a different way
In different minds;
The fool it enlightens
And the wise it blinds.

-John Dryden

Chapter 2- So Far, So Good…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was finally time; the day of the Gala had arrived. In but a few short hours, the hopes and dreams of he and his friends would (hopefully) come to fruition. Spike should have been overcome with excitement, an anxious bundle of nerves.

‘Should’ being the key word. Strange as it might have seemed, his heart was not a flutter and his thoughts were not racing. Simply put, at the moment he just did not give a shit.

No, right now he was in a most despondent mood, one with which Nightmare Moon or Discord might easily sympathize. But how could that be? What could possibly connect him to two of the greatest dangers Equestria had ever faced?

To answer that, one would only have to look at his situation. Once his friends were nearly finished preparing for the Gala, Rarity had quickly and firmly shooed him back outside. The unicorn had insisted that prior to their grand arrival, nopony, or dragon should be allowed to see them in their dresses.

Spike didn’t see what the big deal was. So what if he saw them first? It wasn’t like that’d ruin the surprise for the rest of Canterlot.

Rarity was not amused by his rebuttal. Advancing until they were almost nose to nose, she looked him straight in the eye and gave a short, simple command.

“Out.”

That one word was said with enough frost to kill half of the Apple family’s orchards. In the interest of self-preservation, Spike marched right out the door, up to the coach, and planted himself firmly into his seat. Then, he began to wait.

And that is where his connection to the aforementioned villains becomes apparent: Trapped in a confined and singular location for a potentially infinite span of time with no hope of escape. Granted, he wasn’t magically imprisoned on a satellite or bound in stone, but he would quickly argue that the Wrath of Rarity was far, far worse.

So here he was, waiting until a group of mares finishing getting dressed, did their make-up, and whatever the hell else girls did. And just like the alicorn and draconequus before him…

He. Was. Bored.

Tilting back his head, he drew in a deep breath and sighed as loudly as he could.

“Would you quit it with the sighing already,” an irritated voice said. “It’s not gonna make this go any faster.”

He looked up to see the two stallions Rarity had persuaded to pull the coach. The one hitched closest to him was glaring back over his shoulder.

“I can’t help it,” Spike protested. “They’ve been in there FOREVER!”

“Uh huh…”

“Well, what’s taking so long? I mean, what are they doing?”

The stallion tapped his chin with a hoof. “Who knows,” he asked. “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horseatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

That only confused Spike more. “Say what?”

His companion gave a dark chuckle. “It means,” he said in a low and ominous voice, “that what goes on behind those doors is something not for colts to understand. Things, perhaps, that we are not ready to know. That we are not capable of knowing. Eldritch truths that would shatter our fragile male minds. Things too horrifying to comprehend!”

The stallion had turned around fully, and was looking up at him with a sinister smile, forelegs spread outward like he was telling a ghost story.

Spike gulped. “Wha… wha… what kind of things?”

The tense atmosphere dissipated as the stallion gave a laughing shrug. “No idea! And I’m sure not stupid enough to try and find out! I mean, come on. Do YOU want to march back over there, knock on the door and ask them what they’re up to?”

Spike looked back at the boutique. Maybe it was just his imagination, but the structure seemed to have suddenly taken on a foreboding air.

“I, uh, I think I’ll pass.”

The stallion patted him on the back. “Smart choice. Yessir, even the bravest and most foolhardy of coltfriends have learned not to fight the inevitable. So when times like these come, it’s best just to accept it.”

“Accept it? You mean this happens a lot?”

The pony laughed. “All the time, kiddo. If I had a bit for every minute I wait around for my wife to… well, you’ll see what I mean when you find a mare of your own.”

A vision passed through his mind of him waiting outside Rarity’s boutique, covered in dust and cobwebs as the unicorn painstakingly searched through her massive wardrobe.

Shuddering, he asked, “How do you keep from going crazy just sitting around?”

The stallion thought for a moment. “Well, it gives you a lot of time to think, that’s for sure. Myself, I like to go over our plans for the night. Shooting from the hip might be good on the first date, but mares like it when their guy’s prepared. So I use the time to rehearse what I’ll say, how I’ll act, that kind of thing. Aside from that… oh! I also like to think up funny limericks! Listen to this! ‘There once was a colt who bent over…’”

But Spike was no longer listening. Instead, he was staring down at his claws, feeling as though his heart had dropped into his stomach. “Plans for the night,” he thought to himself.

As Twilight had suggested, he’d purposely avoided any thoughts about the plan to win Rarity’s heart. But those four little words had focused his thoughts squarely upon it.

It was surreal. Only days before he had all but given up hope on ever winning Rarity’s affections. Now, they would soon be on their way to the Gala, where Blueblood was waiting to help him attain true love. He should have been ecstatic, hopeful, or content at the very least.

But he didn’t feel any of those. Instead, he felt nervous. It was the bad kind too, the kind of dreadful anticipation you feel when you know things are going to end badly, like when he’d accidentally burned Twilight’s astronomy book. There was something else, too, just beneath it. Guilt.

He didn’t understand why. What did he have to feel guilty about? All they were doing was trying to get Rarity to like him. Right? It was the same as everything he’d done before.

But then… why did it feel wrong this time?

But try as he might, Spike was unable to come up with an answer. And so he sat, lost in thought as the boutique’s door cracked open and Rarity ordered them to avert their eyes. He remained oblivious even as the girls piled inside the coach and set off.

For now, he could only wait and wonder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As their coach was drawn towards Canterlot, the six mares inside were all but bouncing off the walls. With barely contained excitement, they discussed their plans for the evening, chattered about their predictions for success, and wished one another luck in their endeavors.

All except one.

Lost in thought, Twilight Sparkle drummed her hoof against the door. She stared blankly at the passing scenery and was constantly mumbling under her breath.

The mare sitting across from her leaned over in concern. “Twilight, dear, are you alright,” Rarity asked. “You haven’t made a peep since we departed from Ponyville.”

The lavender unicorn blinked as if coming out of a trance. “Oh, yes! I was just… uh, what I meant to say is…”

She laughed nervously and rubbed her head. “What was the question again?”

Rarity gently slapped Twilight’s hoof away. “None of that darling! You certainly don’t want to muss up your mane before we’ve even arrived. And I was simply asking if everything was alright? You’ve been very quiet, not to mention staring out the window so hard I feared you’d burn a hole through the glass.

“Oh, right,” Twilight said. “Sorry about that. I’ve just been rehearsing. You know, practicing what I’m going to say, seeing if any words don’t sound right. That kind of thing.”

“Goodness, whatever are you practicing for? Have you been asked to give some manner of speech? Or were you planning to make an announcement?”

Twilight giggled. “Nope, no speeches for me. And I am hoping for a particular announcement, but I’m not planning to be the one giving it.”

Now Rarity was intrigued. Hushing the others into silence, she turned back to Twilight. “And just what are these plans, darling? You simply must tell us! After all, we’ve shared our hopes and dreams for tonight. It’s only fair you do the same.”

Twilight gulped as she felt five pairs of eyes focused upon her. For a brief moment, she considered spilling the entire truth. She’d kept it to herself for so long, she was just itching to tell. She looked between each of the expectant faces. What would it hurt? She was sure they’d all be quite happy, even willing to help should the need arise. She opened her mouth to speak.

And then snapped it shut immediately. What was she thinking? She’d made a promise to Celestia herself not to speak a word about it to anypony for any reason. She couldn’t break that promise now, not when her request might depend on it.

Trying to act nonchalant, she gave a brief shrug. “Oh, nothing too fancy. I’ll be assisting Princess Celestia in receiving and greeting new arrivals. With so many ponies attending, she’ll be counting on me to keep things running smoothly. It’s a very prestigious responsibility!

The girls’ enthusiasm deflated, and Rainbow Dash made a gagging noise. “Are you kidding us,” the pegasus demanded. “THAT’S how you’re gonna spend this once in a lifetime night? By standing around being a doormare? That’s totally lame!”

Applejack gave her a hard nudge in the ribs. “Knock it off an’ leave her be, Dash. T’aint none of yer business how she decides ta’ spend her night.”

Twilight only smiled. “It’s alright, really. I know it sounds pretty boring, but it will be wondeful just to spend time and visit with my mentor again. And besides, we have some very important things to discuss.”

Pinkie bounced up and down in her seat. “Ooh! What kind of important things? Like secret things?”

“Veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy secret things,” Twilight said deviously. She leaned forwards and lowered her voice. The other mares crowded around in suspense. “Life-changing things. Things that matter to me greatly. Things which are too important for me to mess this up…”

You could have heard a pin drop in the carriage. Each mare held her breath in silent anticipation, feeling as though some great and universal truth was about to be divulged.

In a sense, this conversation would set the tone for the rest of the night, because they were about to be very disappointed. Rather than spill the beans, Twilight merely sat back up, folding her hooves and giving them a satisfied grin.

“Which is why I need to prepare myself so I know exactly what to say and how to say it,” she finished.

The others groaned at her lackluster conclusion, but Rarity nodded in agreement.

“An excellent idea, Twilight! I know exactly what you mean, for I am facing the very same situation with Prince Blueblood. Just as you must carefully choose your words and weigh your responses, so must I be prepared to react to whatever romantic situations he gallantly presents.

The white-coated unicorn sighed dreamily and put a hoof to her chin. “For instance, how should I compose myself in that first magical moment when our gazes meet? How best shall I introduce myself that comes across as sophisticated, yet playful? Flirtatious, yet poised? And, oh dear me, how ever shall I react if he were to propose this very night?!”

“Just think! Tonight is the night I achieve my dream, get my happily ever after, and bag myself a prince!”

The other ponies cringed as Rarity let out a shrill squeal of delight, though Twilight only mirrored her dreamy smile. Unseen by the rest, her eyes flicked up to the front wall of the coach, where she knew a particular dragon was sitting.

‘Funny,’ she thought to herself. ‘That’s exactly what I’m hoping for.’

Her smile faded as she realized just what her friend was up against. Blueblood was notoriously standoffish towards what he viewed as empty flattery or flirtation. Considering that he would also be doing whatever was necessary to drive her away from him and towards Spike, it was unlikely that Rarity would even have a chance.

Unless…

Twilight looked back to Rarity. She knew that Spike would be crushed if he learned what she was about to do. He’d see it as a betrayal.

Well then, he just wouldn’t find out. After all, she already planned to make him the happiest drake in the world. So why couldn’t she bring two friends together at the same time?

“Listen Rarity,” she said. “I’m not sure if you realize this, but Blueblood, well he’s not like other Canterlot ponies.”

The other unicorn gave her a patient chuckle. “Well, obviously not, darling. He IS a prince; it’s only natural that he far exceeds the average noble in terms of chivalry and refinement.”

She groaned. “That’s not what I meant. It’s more his personality. You… well you just shouldn’t treat him differently, okay?”

Rarity looked scandalized. “Twilight! You’re not suggesting that I behave as though he were some common stallion! That would be terribly improper.”

She waggled her hoof chidingly. “Uh-uh, that’s what you might expect, but the truth is entirely the opposite.”

Twilight could tell that she had Rarity’s attention, so she leaned closer. “Let me tell you a secret. The royal family, from Celestia all the way down, hate being fawned over by their subjects. They want to be respected, of course, but not worshipped.”

“You see, Blueblood has to deal with admirers and servants all the time. About all he hears are compliments and praise and common courtesy. And it drives him nuts!”

“How do you know all this,” Rarity asked in astonishment.

Twilight merely smirked. “Come on, you didn’t think I spent all my years in Canterlot just sitting in the library, did you?”

Rarity gave her a meek smile. “Well… now that you mention it…”

“Arg! Why does everypony assume that I had no social life before we came to Ponyville,” Twilight complained.

“Anyway, the point is, Blueblood won’t even give you the time of day if you come across like every other pony he’s ever met. You need to show that you want to get to know the real him, not just stick him up on a pedestal to admire and flaunt.”

Rarity bit her lip. “Do you really think that it would make a better impression if I were to treat him like a regular pony?”

“Absolutely! Act respectful, of course, but don’t be afraid to be yourself. Just be the Rarity we all know and love, and I promise he won’t be able to resist.”

“Thank you so very much, Twilight,” she said. “I’ll be certain to…”

The moment was lost as Pinkie began bouncing up and down in her seat. “Ooh! Look, look! We made it to Canterlot!”

Glancing out the window, she saw that they had indeed arrived at her hometown. The familiar scenery drew her thoughts to home and family, and a rather devious idea followed soon after.

‘Maybe I can give Rarity a little more help, and get some alone time with Spike while I’m at it.’

Nudging the door open a crack, she stuck her head out and looked towards the front.

“Spike,” she called. “Do you think you could make a quick detour?”

“Um, sure,” he answered. “But where are we going?”

“To my family’s house. You remember how to get there, right?”

“You bet! I know these streets like the back of my claw,” he boasted as the coach turned down one of the many side-streets.

Leaning back inside, she noticed her friends peering out the windows with identical looks of confusion. Applejack was the first to voice their collective concerns.

“Uh, Twi? You sure this is the way we’re ‘sposed to be goin? I mean, I know Canterlot ‘bout as well as a goose knows a gopher-hole, but I’m purty sure this ain’t the way ta’ the castle.”

“Spike and I have to make one little stop first,” she explained. “You girls can just go ahead without us.”

Pinkie’s mane deflated. “But… but I thought we were all gonna go to the Gala together,” she whimpered. “How come you and Spike are ditching us?”

Oh, we’re not ditching you,” Twilight reassured her. “We just have something to take care of, and then we’ll catch up to you before long.”

“Okie-dokie! Just don’t take too long or you’ll miss the party,” Pinkie said, already back to her normal self.

Rainbow Dash gave Twilight a suggestive grin. “Wait, wait, wait. You AND Spike have to make a stop? You sure you’re not planning to just skip the whole thing and have a little private party with just the two of you?” She puckered her lips and made several exaggerated kissing sounds.

Twilight’s face lit up in a furious blush. “WHAT!? No, it’s nothing like that! I… I just want to stop by and visit my parents! They haven’t seen either of us in quite awhile.”

“Ohhhhhh, I get it now,” Dash said as her grin stretched wider. “Yeah, this is just like those dances they’d have at flight camp! You’re doing that whole ‘introduce my date to the parents’ thing, aren’t you?”

Damn, busted! Feeling as if seventy-five point twelve percent of her blood was occupying her cheeks, she quickly tried to stammer out some kind of rebuttal.

Spurred on by Twilight’s flustered response, the pegasus stuck out both hooves as if framing an invisible picture. “I can see it now! Your mom’s gonna get all mushy about how cute you two are, and your dad’s gonna give Spike that macho ‘you better be good to my daughter’ talk, and then you two are gonna make your grand, romantic entrance, right?”

Twilight could only sit there, blushing red as a tomato and mouth hanging open, wondering when the hell Dash learned how to read minds.

Luckily, Rarity came to the rescue. “That’s quite enough teasing, Rainbow Dash,” she said crossly. “Can’t you see you’re embarrassing her?”

Dash gave an indignant ‘hmph’ and crossed her forelegs. “Fine! Sheesh, I was just kidding. I mean, it’s not like that’s really what you’re doing or anything, right Twi?”

“And why would it be so bad if she was,” Fluttershy asked quietly. “I happen to think that Twilight and Spike would make a lovely couple.”

“So do I,” Pinkie said, giving Twilight a very smug and very KNOWING smile. “I bet you two would be just great together!”

Twilight’s eyes nearly popped out of her head. “You… you did,” she managed to squeak, trying to think of a way out of the conversation before it went any further.

Thankfully, the coach rolled to a stop as Spike announced their arrival. Not wasting a moment, Twilight kicked open the door and leapt out.

“Wow, Twilight! You look beauti… AUGH!”

The remaining Elements caught a glimpse of Spike being magically yanked from his seat and hastily dropped onto Twilight’s back.

“Well, gotta get going but we’ll see you atthegalaenjoytherestofthetripokaybye!”

The door slammed shut, and they could hear the telltale bang and magical flash of Twilight’s teleportation. A few moments passed, and then the coach once again rolled into motion. Inside, the five mares could only look at one another in bewilderment.

“What’n tarnation was THAT all ‘bout,” Applejack finally asked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the Gala kicked into full-swing, many of the recurring guests noticed that one element was vastly different from previous years. That element was Prince Blueblood. Normally the stallion would be trudging about the room, glumly exchanging pleasantries, refusing dance invitations, and generally looking as though he’d rather be undergoing a root canal without anesthesia.

But tonight there was a twinkle in his eye and a bounce in his step. He surveyed the numerous guests critically, as though there was somepony that he was determined to identify. His body seemed tense and ready to spring. Nopony could remember seeing him so active, so full of energy, so awake before.

In truth, Blueblood was absolutely exhilarated. Whereas normally he would be watching the clock and praying for this night to end, now he welcomed the festivities. Even the sleep-inducing drollness of the band couldn’t make a dent in his enthusiasm.

He took another glance around the room, hoping to catch a glimpse of Spike and his group, or perhaps this mystery stallion that he would be intercepting. He couldn’t wait to put his plan into action. What a night it would be! Not only would he be safeguarding a lady’s honor from an unworthy suitor, he would be greatly assisting Spike in his hour of need AND helping two close friends find true love.

‘Just wait until Cadence hears about this,’ he thought gleefully. ‘Claiming that I know nothing of love? That I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to the fairer sex? Hah!

And Celestia! Wouldn’t she be ecstatic at the news? He could just imagine how thankful she would be…

The castle doors were flung open to thunderous applause. Two figures emerged into the sunlight as ponies wept and cheered. Claw in hoof with his unicorn bride, Spike waved joyfully to their many subjects.

As the two rushed to their carriage, wedding party close behind, two ponies remained in the doorway.

Tears poured down Celestia’s face, and she futilely levitated tissue after tissue to dab her cheeks. Looking over to Blueblood, she smiled through her sobs.

“Oh, nephew! Thank you, thank you so very much!”

He smiled humbly. “It was nothing, auntie. I did it all for Spike.”

“And I’m so grateful you did,” she sniffled. “You helped my son find his soulmate, you brought them together, and best of all, you’ve given me the most wonderful daughter-in-law! I just cannot wait to tell my grandchildren all about how you helped their parents meet.”

“All in a day’s work,” he said.

“And to think, I used to view you as a hopeless and irredeemable fop! More likely to be mauled by a manticore than find a mare of your own! I’ve never been so glad to be proven wrong!”

He balked. “Um… thank… you?”

“For so long, I didn’t know what to think,” she continued. “That you were socially inept? That you were unable to commit? That you were terrified of females in general? That you were secretly impotent?”

“Wha… WHAT,” he sputtered.

She nodded gravely. “I was even preparing to marry you off to some old nag who would mother you sufficiently so as to be unthreatening. I’d even commissioned a ball and chain to be made so you’d be unable to run off.”

“But now I see I was worrying for nothing,” she said happily, oblivious to his horrified stare. “Now I see that you are truly an expert in matters of the heart, and obviously biding your time until the right mare appears.”

She patted his cheek. “It is SUCH a relief to know that you won’t die a miserly old virgin after all.”

“Gah!” He shook his head frantically, trying to clear the images from his thoughts. Since when had his daydreams taken such a self-deprecating turn?

‘Still, once she learns that I was responsible for Spike winning the mare of his dreams, she’ll have no choice but to acknowledge my romantic genius! She’ll be groveling for my forgiveness! Groveling, I say!’

He threw back his head and loosed a triumphant chortle, causing several nearby ponies to recoil nervously.

But before his megalomania could be sufficiently vented, a large commotion broke out from the castle entrance. Curious, he headed towards the disturbance.

A mare to his left was tugging at her husband’s foreleg, eyes filled with excitement.

“Darling, did you hear? The Elements of Harmony have arrived! We simply must go and introduce ourselves!”

“Indeed,” the stallion said. “Quite appropriate to pay one’s respects to the saviors of the world, after all.”

He fell in step behind them, half-amused and half-disgusted at the number of ponies already showing their sycophantic natures. He wondered how Twilight’s friends would react to such idolatry? He hoped they would not be too overwhelmed.

Coming to one of the balconies overlooking the entrance, he looked over the crowd of ponies waiting to be admitted. Being that he, shamefully, had no idea what the Elements even looked like, he sought for the familiar hues of purple that would denote either his cousin or Twilight. Considering that they had yet to arrive, this was a rather pointless endeavor.

Yet he continued to search, leaning out over the railing like the most overdressed figurehead to ever adorn a ship. But what he didn’t realize was that one particular mare had already locked onto him and was stealthily approaching.

The sound of a clearing throat caught his attention, followed by a soft and hesitant voice. “Excuse me? Prince Blueblood?”

A chill ran up his spine as he recognized the awestruck, even reverent tone. So here it was, the first one of the night. Biting back a sigh, he plastered a smile on his face and turned, ready to deliver a polite but unyielding rejection to his admirer.

But then their eyes met, and his jaw dropped.

His first intelligible thought was that the unicorn before him was utterly gorgeous. She carried herself with a truly natural grace, none of that pomp and forced elegance that so many other noblemares practiced. Even more shocking, she wasn’t freaking out or drooling all over the floor just from the sight of him.

“Oh! Uh, good, good evening my lady,” he said, struggling to compose himself. “How can I be of service?”

An exuberant grin formed on her lips, and he inwardly cringed. He knew what was coming. Next would be the ear-splitting squeal, the pronouncement of true love, and possibly either the request for betrothal or immediate offer to bear his children.

To his great surprise, the unicorn merely drew in a breath and favored him with a much smaller, much saner smile.

“I do hope you’ll forgive the interruption, my lord,” she said, curtseying lightly. “I was hoping to meet and perhaps make your acquaintance, if it isn’t too much of a bother?”

What was this? A mare that wasn’t singing his praises or attempting to seduce him outright? One that was attempting civil conversation? Blueblood was delighted at the prospect.

“Why, it’s no bother at all,” he exclaimed. “In fact, I only wish you had introduced yourself sooner!”

She giggled daintily into her hoof. “Had the opportunity arisen, I assure you I would have done just that. But you see, this is my first time attending the Gala. In fact, it is my first time even visiting the castle.”

“You don't say! And tell me, are you making this visit unaccompanied,” he asked.

The mare ducked her head bashfully. “Ye… yes, I am. But what are you suggesting?”

He cursed himself for acting so forward. Now that he’d finally found a potential source of pleasant company, the last thing he wanted to do was frighten her away.

“Well, I, um, simply did not wish to intrude if you were here in the company of another,” he explained hurriedly. “However, if you have no other engagements, I would be happy to provide you with a tour of the castle.”

Her head snapped up immediately, smile wide and hopeful. “Would you really? Why, I’d be delighted! That is… if there are no other matters to which you must attend.”

“Oh, I do have one vital matter to attend to,” he said. “But the lad has yet to arrive, so I see no problem in conversing with a new friend.”

He offered his hoof, which she gladly accepted. As he led her further into the hall, he once again stole a glance at the unicorn.

But this time, as his eyes eagerly took in her beauty, appreciation faded as he began to recognize certain features. The gears in his head began to turn.

Coat as white and pure as freshly driven snow? Check.

A delicate violet mane so perfect that its curls looked to be sculpted by the wind itself? Check.

Eyes as blue as the Coltarado sky? Check.

A cutie mark depicting a triad of blue diamonds? Most likely, but he couldn’t exactly see through her dress… much as he might like to.

Wait a minute…

“My lady,” he said in hesitation. “You must forgive my deplorable manners, but I realize now that I’ve not yet learned the identity of my companion. Please, might I know your name?”

“Of course, Prince Blueblood! You may call me Rarity.”

A sudden, inexplicable sense of disappointment filled his heart. That settled it. It truly was her, Element of Generosity and the object of Spike’s affections. Even if her name had somehow been oxymoronically common, she matched the dragon’s love-struck description perfectly.

Even worse was the look in her eyes. Hope, timidity, affection, and perhaps even the slightest hints of lust. And all of it was focused directly on him.

That meant that the upper-class snob who Rarity desired, Spike’s rival whom Blueblood had pledged to sabotage and foil at every opportunity… was himself.

Well.

Shit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Spike in his usual place atop her back, Twilight skillfully navigated her way through the bustling streets and towards Canterlot Castle. Their passing caused ponies of all ages to stop in their tracks, eliciting countless stares and a buzz of curious whispering. Though it had once been common for the crown prince and Celestia’s student to be seen in one another’s company, it was public knowledge that the two had since moved to the small town of Ponyville. To have them suddenly reappear in the city, dressed in such finery and obviously off to some formal engagement, was enough to interest even the most indifferent onlookers.

This attention went completely unnoticed, as the pair was each lost in their own separate thoughts.

Spike twiddled his claws, his eyes constantly drifting up to the castle as though he hoped that would hasten their arrival.

“Come on, Twilight! We’re gonna be late.”

“Calm down,” she chided gently. “The Gala lasts all night, you know. We’ll get there with plenty of time to spare.”

“But why not just teleport us into the castle? Then we’d get there in plenty of time!”

“No, Spike. You now how startling it can be when I suddenly appear right in the middle of a group. I don’t want our arrival to wind up terrifying half the castle.”

“Well, can’t you at least speed up a bit,” he whined.

The unicorn only shook her head in amusement. “Haste makes waste. The last thing either of us needs is for me to trip and both of us to face-plant into a mud puddle. How are you going to woo Rarity if you arrive covered in dirt?”

Spike merely huffed and settled back to wait, allowing her to continue at a leisurely pace. In all honesty, Twilight COULD have gone at least a bit faster, but she was too busy enjoying the moment.

The meeting with her parents could not have gone better. They had both been heavily doted upon, with her family happily informing Spike that they just knew he and Twilight were perfect for one another and she could not have found a better coltfriend. She only hoped that their encouragements would subtly warm Spike up to the idea.

Though he’d had clearly been nervous and embarrassed, he had gone along with the whole thing rather than try and argue. With any luck, his lack of protest was a good sign.

The only downside to their detour was the unexpectedly strange behavior of Cadence and her brother. The older couple had voiced their own compliments and approval, but something about their demeanor seemed… strained. As if they were on the verge of a full-blown panic attack. Cadence had almost seemed ready to bolt the moment they stepped inside the house!

Then there was the final piece of advice Shining Armour had given them…

Twilight rose to her hooves, carefully smoothing out the wrinkles that had formed in her dress. Spike gave her an inquiring smile, and she nodded before leaning down so he could hop onto her back. Saying their goodbyes, they turned to the door.

“AHEM!”

The unicorn and dragon turned around to see Twilight’s brother on the receiving end of a very harsh maternal stare.

“Oh, uh, right,” he muttered before looking up with a forced smile.

“You two have fun tonight, just make sure to be on your best behavior, okay?”

“Don’t worry,” Twilight said. “You can trust us.”

He nodded with a look of relief. “Good to hear. But remember, don’t do anything Cadence and I wouldn’t do.”

She and Spike didn’t seem to find anything wrong with that statement, but the second it left the stallion’s mouth Cadence gasped and looked up at him in mortification, and their mother slammed her teacup down hard enough to spill half the contents.

“No, no, no,” that’s not what I meant, he stammered, sweating under the glares of his mother and marefriend. “I should have said, don’t do anything we WOULD do. Oh, jeez, I mean… um… things that we might do together. Just don’t-”

He winced as Cadence gave him a swift kick to the leg. The alicorn’s scathing look was enough to shut him up, and a tense moment passed before she gave a wide and fake smile to the bemused couple.

“You two should get going! Have fun, and forget everything your brother just said!”

Twilight had known better than to argue, and raced outside before the fireworks began.

“What did Shining say that was so bad,” Spike finally asked.

“I’ve got no idea.”

Even from half a block away, they could hear the muffled shouts of Twilight’s mother going into full-lecture mode.

“He’s toast, isn’t he?”

“Yep.”

Regardless of her family’s oddities, it had been a wildly successful endeavor. All that remained was convincing Celestia herself. Considering that her parents had fully approved, and even her friends had given support (indirect though it was), she was confident that there was no chance of failure.

Ideally, the other phase of her plan was proceeding just as smoothly. Their procrastination and absence should have given Rarity more than enough time to seek out Blueblood and move past introductions. Twilight could only hope the fashionista heeded her advice. After all, it was the key to exploiting Blueblood’s weakness.

Twilight knew that the prince’s disgust towards courtship was not the prospect of romance, but rather the shallow and vapid way it was usually presented. He would no doubt expect Rarity to be reduced to a quivering mess of nerves, trying to appeal to his vanity and title and all but throwing herself at him.

But if she presented herself as a friendly and genuinely interested companion, the prince would likely be drawn into conversation and forget the entire plan until it was too late! So long as he wasn’t actively trying to make an ass of himself, she knew that the two unicorns would hit it off perfectly.

The sheer genius of the plan made Twilight want to throw back her head and cackle with glee. Thankfully, she had a good deal more control than Blueblood, and chose to loose her fiendish laugh internally so as not to appear unhinged.

The remainder of their walk was done in silence, both of them mentally preparing for the challenge that lay ahead.

At last they arrived at the castle, and Twilight came to a stop before placing Spike on the ground beside her.

“What’s wrong, Twi? Why’d we stop,” he asked.

“Well, I don’t think it would look proper for everypony to see you riding me inside,” she said, offering her foreleg. “Care to escort me instead?”

Cheeks tinting pink, he quickly hid his arms behind his back. “Bu… but… isn’t that something that ponies on dates do?”

She smirked, fully expecting him to ask that. “Well, yes. You don’t want the whole Gala to know you’re here by yourself, do you? An unattached prince is quite the catch, you know. What if mares begin stalking you left and right and you never even have the chance to meet with Rarity?”

That one hypothetical was all it took. Stepping closer, Spike twined his arm with hers. She leaned against him, shoulder to shoulder, and he shifted his weight to better support her while walking on only three hooves.

“Ready for the best night ever,” she whispered, and he shivered a bit from her breath on his ear.

“You know it.”

They walked forwards claw in hoof. The dragon, standing proud and dignified. The mare, beautiful yet demure. The assembled guests watched in fascination while servants and guards chuckled into their hooves, pleased, though not at all surprised.

Celestia waited ahead, her smile already brightening at the sight of them. Together, the prince and the protégé continued down the aisle to meet her.

Author's Note:

Well, hope you all enjoyed this chapter. The next installment will see all of those best-laid schemes going pretty far agley, as Robert Burns would say.

Also, I feel I must address a great number of readers who commented or PMed about which leading lady Spike would end up with by story's end. Though I've yet to make a concrete decision, I am currently favoring a Spilight outcome. However I realize that whatever choice I make, there will be those who dislike, disagree and perhaps even despise it. I can apologize in advance and express my hope that the pairing doesn't detract from any overall enjoyment you gained from the reading.

See you next chapter!