• Published 20th May 2013
  • 811 Views, 3 Comments

The Cavalier - Agro



Fluttershy is invited to participate in the jousting tournament at the Crystal Fair. Can she survive? With a little help from her friend, Spike, she just might and more.

  • ...
4
 3
 811

Chapter 1: I'm game

Chapter 1

Fluttershy was frozen in shock at what she had just read. Her long, soft and pink hair seemed to attempt to stand on end despite their weight. Her delicate frame trembled as she dropped the letter in her hooves to hug her own plush, vanilla fur.

Cadance simply couldn't be serious! Looking at the dry yellow parchment on the floor, she was certain that this must have been some sort of horrible prank.

“I know what you're thinking Fluttershy and I can assure you, I'm serious” Cadence stated.

Cadance bowed when she was done, something that the princess never did before causing her pink and purple hair to brush the ground. Then again, she never needed to. She was the princess of the Crystal Empire after all and in the rare instance where her having a horn and wings wasn't enough, her sheer beauty was. Thus, whenever she did need to go out on her own, she needed a thick brown cloak to her lithe and beautiful figure and her telltale pink fur.

Fluttershy stepped away from the letter as she listened, as if afraid that being too close to it was going to make things worse for her. Even a couple meters away however, she could still make out the large bold black writing.

Dearest Mare Fluttershy of Element Kindness,
You are cordially invited to participate in this years jousting tournament at the Crystal Kingdom. All expenses will be paid for by us of course. Please respond as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
The Crystal Fair counsel

Fluttershy struggled to form words as her mouth was stiff with fear. “How could- But I- You-”

Fluttershy wobbled, her legs turning to jelly. Stumbling over to the window sill, she leaned on it to catch her breath.

“I... can't”

Cadence put her hooves together as she gave Fluttershy her best smile. “I know this is a lot to ask but they really want you there!”

Fluttershy hid in her hair to avoid eye contact, “But- But I just can't! I'll be killed!” Fluttershy said as she fell onto her knees before putting her hooves over head.

“But Fluttershy!” Cadence pleaded, “We only have nine jousters with Rainbow Dash and we need this to be whole week event! Please!”

Now Cadence was kneeling to be at her eye level, “And I promise that nothing bad will happen. I give you my word as a princess.”

Fluttershy tried to shuffle backward before realizing that she was already pressing as hard as she could against the wall behind her.

“I... I'm sorry Princess but I just-”

Cadence put up a hoof to stop her. “Just think about it...”

Cadence gave a final bow before picking up the letter with her magic. Setting it on a table. She gave Fluttershy one last understanding yet sad smile. “I'll be here until tomorrow.”

Cadence left closing the door with a gentle creak behind her as Fluttershy was on the verge of crying or fainting. Soon, the animals which had hidden during this incident slowly began to gather around her to hug her and comfort her.

“Oh, what do I do?” Fluttershy asked them as she stood back up to a sitting position.

The other animals chattered quietly as they seemed to be unsure. Angel was the first the stepped forward who was waving his paws quickly.

“But... I can't let Cadence down.” Fluttershy said biting her lower lip as her eyes starting getting watery.

Angel slapped his forehead before giving a tiny, yet forceful groan.

“I know but... I don't want to face Rainbow Dash, or anyone else!”

Angel put his hands up as he shrugged. Then a lightbulb appeared over his head as he started chattering again. Fluttershy nodded.

“You're right... I should ask Twilight. She always knows what to do.”

Fluttershy quickly fluttered her way out. She hoped Twilight was available.


At the front door of the library where her reliable friend usually was, Fluttershy found someone a head shorter, namely Spike, the purple teenage dragon and dear friend.

“Sorry, Twilight's not here.” he said, standing with his hands helplessly to the side.

Fluttershy's heart nearly stopped when she heard this.

Spike asked her to come in as the cold was getting to be too much for his cold blood and once she was inside, he shut the door rubbing his shoulders as he shivered. Despite being one of the sturdiest guys around, Spike was as weak to the cold as ever and even his new fur coat was never enough. Guiding Fluttershy to the fire by hand, Spike put his hands close to it as he stretched his wings to warm faster. Finally warm again, Spike explained the situation.

“Cadance invited her to the Crystal Fair a couple days ago. But, you can talk to me if you want. After all, you're always listening to my problems.”

Fluttershy nodded so Spike told her to sit before running off to get something warm to drink. Returning with a kettle of tea and a cup, Spike let loose a flourish of hot, green flame from his mouth, getting to tea to a nice, toasty temperature. Fluttershy clapped with her hooves causing Spike to blush.

“So anyway, what's the problem?” Spike said handing her a freshly poured cup of green tea before pulling up a chair.

Fluttershy sat down on her rump before taking a small sip. Then, she took a deep breath.

“Cadence wants me to enter the jousting tournament for the Crystal Fair.” Fluttershy said somehow compressing the sentence into a single squeaky sound.

Fluttershy looked to the small dragon who nodded sagely before tenting his hands. Leaning forward, Spike rested his elbows on the table.

He finally spoke, “Was it that bad?”

Fluttershy drooped until her head rested on the cold wooden table, “It was horrible.”

Shuffling her head a little, Fluttershy was soon covered in her soft pink mane.

“Really?” Spike said pouring himself a cup of tea, “Cause I talked to a couple of ponies and they thought you were funny.”

“Funny?” Fluttershy said shooting out of her pink hair, “As in... laughing at me?”

Spike's eyes widened to the size of plates, “NO! I meant in a good way!”

Fluttershy sank further as if trapped in quicksand. Spike's eyes flitted everywhere as he tried to think of something...

“The foals!” Spike said pointing a finger up, “The foals loved you!”

Fluttershy tentatively raised her head back up.

“Yeah!” Spike said getting off his seat ti stand next to her, “I talked to them and they loved you! In fact, they even wanted autographs but we left before they could find you!”

“... Really?”

Spike calmed down before looking down to scratch at the tabletop with his index claw, “Yes. And... to be perfectly honest, I'd think it would be pretty cool if you participated.”

Fluttershy blushed as she pawed on the ground, “I'm flattered Spike but-”

“After all, I've never seen a joust before and I'd love to see you in the tournament.”

Fluttershy turned away from him so that he couldn't see her blush from such a simple compliment.

“Do... do you really?”

“Definitely!” Spike said nodding, “Plus, I'd bet you look pretty cool in that armor. Oh! And I could be your squire!”

Fluttershy smiled as she watched Spike get all caught up the excitement. Once he calmed down, he realized that she still didn't say 'yes' and put his arms around his back.

“That is... if you want to.” Spike said giving an embarrassed smile.

Fluttershy giggled as she patted Spike on the head.

“Well... do you really want to go with me?”

Spike nodded before curling his lips up into a smile.

“Then, I'm game.”

Spike's face brightened considerably, “Really? Even though you'll have to joust?”

Fluttershy nodded, “Yes, Spike. If you and Twilight promise to cheer for me.”

“It's a promise.”

Comments ( 3 )

Cute. :)
Keep it going

I want Flutters to come from behind and win the whole thing.

Cool so far. But question... is this going to have FlutterDash in it? :rainbowkiss::yay:

Login or register to comment