• Published 20th May 2013
  • 7,539 Views, 257 Comments

The Road Not Taken - levarien



Twilight has spent her adult life keeping Equestria safe. While her friends found careers, family, and love, she has spent her time searching for ways to defend them all. Resentment now rules her heart, and somepony has to get through to her.

  • ...
29
 257
 7,539

Ch 5: Reunion

A solitary unicorn pulled her heavily laden cart along the Great Eastern Road. Its greatness was very much in doubt this far west of the major cities of Fillydelphia, Manehattan, and Baltimare. The railroads had made hoof-drawn carts very much a thing of the past, but the mare had little choice in the matter. She needed the tools in her cart, and she didn't have the bits to have them loaded onto the train.

Her mud-stained hooves were a testament to the rain that spring brought to this part of Equestria. She had been walking this lone road for weeks now. She didn't mind though: She was used to roughing it. Besides, the quiet of the road allowed for introspection. The mare had spent much of the last few months in contemplation. The unicorn flared her horn as she walked and levitated a severely dented canteen of water from her saddlebags. She took a deep pull from the bottle, and sent it floating back into her wagon. The pink aura around her horn winked out and she signed in relief.

Her horn had been giving her problems lately. Ever since her last great failure, the mare had found it difficult to keep her magic from slipping from her grasp. She could still perform the magic that she needed to make her living, but there had been a few instances where a slip of the horn led to a night of sleeping under a hedge. Riotous mobs were rather rare in Equestria, but so were unicorns with the vast abilities of the mare. And when she lost control of those abilities, chaos usually followed in her wake. But she had to eat, and to eat she had to perform her magic. The magical malfunctions were starting to become unbearable, however, and the unicorn was at the point where she had to use it sparingly.

She had somehow managed to save enough bits to purchase the supplies to make it back to site of her greatest failures. To say she was coming full circle would be an understatement, since this would be her third trip to the sleepy little hamlet near Canterlot. The first had resulted in the destruction of her career and ignited in the mare an almost maniacal obsession. The second had left her in the magically damaged state she found herself. So now she was heading back to Ponyville; back to beg for help from the mare who she both admired and despised with equal measure. Once again she felt the sting of regret at the thought of the Celestia's pet. They should have been good friends, seeing as how they were both true magical prodigies, but Twilight Sparkle had everything, and she had nothing. It wasn't fair. It was doubly unfair that she knew that it was mostly her fault. She had brought doom down upon the ponies of Ponyville twice, and twice that know-it-all had saved the day. She even forgave the wandering mare.

The mud-stained unicorn sighed as she reached the crest of the large hill. Ponyville came into view, its small cottages surrounding the main plaza and town hall. The mare once again told herself that everything would be okay. Twilight Sparkle had given her forgiveness, surely she would help the mare in her time of need. The Great and Formerly Powerful Trixie ginned up her courage and started pulling her worldly possessions towards what she hoped was her salvation.


"Stay close girls," said Rarity, "and no jumping Scootaloo." Rarity led the trio of fillies up the steep rocky path that wound towards the summit of Dragon's Peak.

"The last time was a total accident," protested the would be dare-devil, "I'm just so lucky that Rainbow Dash is so superamazawesome!"

"Ya'll were laughing awfully hard for somepony fallin' off a mountain," said Applebloom with a giggle.

Scootaloo stuck her tongue out at her earth-pony friend. "You're just jealous that Rainbow Dash is the most radical, cool, and awesome pony in all of Ponyville."

"Not as awesome as my brother!" shouted Applebloom, "He's a hero, right Fluttershy?"

The pegasus blushed as she walked next to the red headed filly. "Oh my yes," she said, "He's so strong, and brave."

Rainbow Dash landed next to Scootaloo, kicking up a storm of dust. "C'mon Scoots," she said, "even I have to admit that Mac kicked some serious flank." She ruffled the pegasus filly's hair. "and from what I heard, it was those mysterious cloaked unicorns that really saved the day." She looked over at the fashionista leading the pack of ponies. "Sounds awfully familiar though," she thought aloud, "mysterious cloaked ponies saving the day like that."

"Hmmmph," snorted Rarity, "Since you haven't been excessively boastful lately, the Mare-Do-Well has been put to pasture." She crested the final rise and the ponies reached the plateau at the summit. "Sweetie Belle, be a dear and set up the picnic blanket."

The unicorn filly complied with a smile. She knew the unspoken deal: Sisterly bonding in return for not having to do the dirty work. She dropped the comically over-sized picnic basket on the ground and reached inside. The upper half of her body disappeared from view, while her rear end hung over the edge of the basket. Sweetie Belle had soon emerged and found a spot on the rubble strewn plateau on which to spread their large red and white checkered blanket. A few strategically placed rocks spared the blanket from the gusts of wind.

Rarity levitated the basket to the middle and removed the large tray of diagonally sliced cucumber sandwiches. "I don't know about you ponies, but I am absolutely famished!" said the elegant mare. "These sandwiches are to die for."

"Awwwww yeah!" shouted Dash as she shoved two of the sandwiches into her muzzle. Scootaloo ran to the tray and tried to duplicate the feat only to succeed in mashing the food her face. "Easy there kid," said Rainbow Dash as she wiped the filly's face with a napkin, "Remember our talk: Start out small and work your way up." She handed the filly a single sandwich. Scootaloo nodded seriously and shoved the single half sandwich into her mouth. "Attagirl!" said Rainbow.

Rarity realized that her mouth was hanging open in a rictus of horror. She looked away, lest she spoil the outing with yet another frustrating attempt at civilizing the two pegasi. "Fluttershy dear, how are you feeling?" asked the unicorn, "Twilight said you had quite the nasty bump on your head."

The shy pegasus rubbed the top of her head gently. "It's much better now," she said, "and I haven't had a headache for a few days." The mare took a bite and dabbed at her mouth with a napkin. "I just feel so awful about getting Big Macintosh hurt," she said, "If I weren't such a softy, he would still be able to help on the farm and Applejack could have come with us today."

"Tweren't your fault Fluttershy," said Applebloom, "and Mac told me you probably saved him too." The filly walked over to the pegasus and gave her a hug.

Fluttershy wrapped a wing around the filly and returned the hug. "I'm just glad everyone is okay," she said, "Did Twilight and her Guard find anything in the forest?"

Rainbow Dash interrupted her mock wrestling match with Scootaloo and walked to the other mares. The filly continued mauling her idol's rear leg. "Honey told me that they just found some broken sticks and a pile of pebbles," said Dash, "It sure sounds like she and the other pegasi were right about what happened." Shaking the squirming filly from her leg, Rainbow Dash sat with her friends and continued chatting. "I don't think we'll be seeing any more of those Kenku any time soon." She held out a hoof against Scootaloo's head, keeping the roughhousing filly at foreleg's length. "Scoots, shouldn't you three start on your crusading?"

"Yeah!" squeaked Sweetie Belle. "Don't forget what we're here for." She stood up and grabbed an empty sack with a large pile of bits printed on its front. "Cutie Mark Crusader Dragon Hoard Looters!"

"Yay!" shouted Applebloom and Scootaloo in unison. The three clapped hooves and dashed towards the cave. They had barely made it past the picnic area when the glint of sunlight against metal drew them to a halt. Applebloom ran to the small pile of large rocks and pulled out the scuffed piece of steel.

"What is it?" asked Scootaloo, visions of piles of golden coins and jeweled scepters dancing before her eyes.

"It's just a lump of metal with some pink paint on it," replied the earth pony, still reaching under the pile of debris. "I think there's more under here."

While the fillies rooted around the plateau, the three mares continued gossiping. "So what do you girls think of Guardspony Defender?" asked Rarity, "It is quite odd to think of Twilight having a bodyguard."

"He seems okay," said Dash, "and if Shining Armor vouches for him, he must be a pretty good guard."

"They're getting along," added Fluttershy, "He even calmed her down when they visited Big Mac in the hospital." She brushed her mane from the front of her face and continued. "And he escorted her through the Everfree forest all by himself."

"That's true," said Rarity, "But why doesn't he wear the dashing golden guard's armor?" The fashion obsessed mare cringed as she recalled the dented shield the stallion never seemed to part with. "That old shield is just so gauche." She levitated the empty tray back into the picnic basket and stood to stretch her legs. "Maybe I'll make him an outfit more befitting his status," she said, "a welcome gift if you will."

Dash rolled her eyes and slipped on her shades. "I'm sure he'll love that," she said sarcastically, "Nothing says 'bad-flank guard pony' like ruffles and lace."

"Even if I made it Twenty Percent Cooler?" asked Rarity, smirking at the pegasus.

Rainbow Dash blushed at the memories of the ridiculous garb she had demanded of Rarity. She turned and trotted over to the fillies and began helping them in their quest. Rarity and Fluttershy returned to their chat. An hour of pleasant relaxation passed before Rarity decided that the pegasus mare was calm enough. "So Fluttershy dear," said Rarity, "When are you going to tell Big Mac that you like him?" She arched her brow and stared at her chronically shy friend.

"Hey guys!" shouted Rainbow Dash, "Come check this out!"

"Coming Rainbow!" shouted Fluttershy, grateful for the interruption. She jumped up and ran over to Dash and the fillies. Rarity sighed and followed after her. The unicorn reached the crowd of ponies circling a pile of something.

"We found treasure, Rarity!" said Sweetie Belle enthusiastically. "We're treasure hunters!" The three fillies jumped into the air and clapped hooves. After landing, they each looked at their still blank flanks. "Who care's about cutie marks," said Sweetie, "we're rich!"

Rarity turned her trained eyes to the pile of metal the girls had discovered. Lifting the largest piece of silvery metal with her hooves, the mare tapped at it and set it back on the ground. "Sorry Sweetie, but I'm afraid this is just steel." She poked through the pile and found a set of golden hoofcups. The weight confirmed her suspicion on the value of the hoofwear as well. "And these are merely gold plated," she said, "though they are quite lovely."

Rainbow Dash sighed and placed a hoof to her forehead. "Ignore the shiny things for a sec Rarity," she said. "Look at this." The cyan pegasus drew the unicorn away from the fillies and pointed out the discolored patch of ground. "I'm pretty sure that's dried blood," she whispered, "and it continues to the edge of the cliff." Rarity's eyes followed Dash's hoof and saw the streak of crimson brown dried blood leading to the edge of the plateau. The unicorn raised a forehoof to her mouth in surprise. The pair rejoined the other ponies, who were clustered around Fluttershy.

"And this should go here..." said the yellow pegasus, placing one of the shards of steel next to the others. "Oh my," she said in shock, "It's Twilight's cutie mark!"

Rainbow Dash and Rarity looked at each other in shock. The Pegasus leaped from the cliff and flew down the mountain face. Rarity, meanwhile, levitated her saddlebags to her flank and began placing the assorted objects into them. "Girls, please go pack up the picnic," she said authoritatively, "we need to bring these to Twilight as soon as we can."

"But Rarity..." whined Sweetie Belle, "We just got here!"

"I'm sorry Sweetie," replied her sister, "I'll make it up to you I promise."

The fillies dejectedly began packing the basket. Rarity whispered to Fluttershy what Dash had found. The pegasus gasped and helped the fillies pack. Rainbow Dash flew back to the plateau, walked over to Rarity and shook her head. "There isn't anything down there," she said in a low voice, "nothing that says anypony or anything fell."

"Let's head back then," said the Rarity, "Twilight needs to see this, and getting back to Ponyville will take hours."


Twilight adjusted her cloak as Argent haggled with the gruff produce vendor. The tight corset she had acquired to hold her wings tight against her midsection was biting into her skin, increasing her desire to be back in their home. Being this close to the plaza made her nervous. She could see the library from the market, and the periodic entry and exit of ponies with books was all she needed to see to know that her past self was home. Twilight nervously walked in place, her heavily laden panniers shifting with each step. A growing sense of unease settled into the pit of her stomach as she once again heard Applejack hocking her apples from across the market.

"Five bits for two heads of lettuce is ridiculous," said Argent, "I'll give you three."

"Fine," said the salespony, "It's worth two bits to be rid of you."

"Did you see that," said Argent proudly, "That's how you negotiate." He placed the produce into his saddlebags and started to move towards the stand full of delicious looking carrots. Twilight saw the familiar carrot farmer and stepped in front of the stallion.

"That's Carrot Top," she said worriedly. "I said no one familiar."

"She doesn't even know me yet," responded Argent, walking around the mare. "Stay here if you like, but we need carrots." He walked up to the future restaurateur and politely asked for a bunch of carrots. He was trying to ignore Twilight's paranoia, but her constant fear of being discovered was turning her into a hermit. It had taken all of his persuasiveness to get her to come shopping with him. He was afraid that the next stop on the crazy train would be mane and coat dyeing. He paid full price for the carrots, knowing that Carrot Top was saving up for her cafe. As he was saying goodbye, Twilight grabbed his tail and began dragging him towards an alley between two nearby cottages.

"Twi...Oracle," he said catching himself, "let go of my tail."

"Shut up," she said as they reached the alley. She pointed across street to the mud-stained mare pulling a cart in front of the open air market.

Argent squinted his eyes and gasped. "Is that?"

"What in Celestia's name is your sister doing here?" asked Twilight.

"I don't know," he replied in a daze, "She never came to Ponyville while I was here." He looked closely at his twin sister. Her mane was tangled and her coat was streaked with dirt. The cart she pulled was covered in splattered mud, as were Trixie's legs. Any sign of physical hardship paled in comparison to her body language. He had never seen his sister so beaten down; so defeated. His heart ached to go to her and find out what was wrong, and his feet moved in agreement. Or they would have.

Twilight's horn flared beneath her hood and four lavender auras anchored Argent's feet to the ground. "Absolutely not," she growled, "You cannot go off and talk to your own sister."

Before he could protest, a chorus of shouts erupted from the market. "You aren't welcome here," shouted the lettuce vendor. The stallion reached beneath his booth and retrieved two of his more out of date items. He hurled them at the harnessed mare, covering her and her cart with rotten leaves of lettuce. Like the first domino falling, the act of malice inspired others who had been wronged, or heard of Trixie's crimes against Ponyville.

"Tri..." shouted Argent, his scream silenced before it could form. He tried to reach to his mouth, but Twilight's magic kept him fixed in place. The lavender aura that kept his mouth sealed infuriated the stallion. He turned on Twilight and pierced her with the most furious gaze she had ever seen from her longtime companion. The mare shrunk in place, looked to the ground and shook her head.

"I'm sorry my love," she said in agony, "I can't let you go to her."

Argent railed against his bonds, his horn flashing in brilliant gold as his sister was pelted with insults and produce. Twilight easily turned aside his magic with hers and watched in sorrow as Trixie faced the fury of the townsponies.


"There you go Snails," said Argent as he handed the book to the colt, "A Colt's Guide to Everything Creepy and Crawly." He walked with the colt to the checkout desk where Twilight was reading.

"Did you find what you needed Snails?" asked the princess as she opened the book registry.

"Yes ma'am Princess Twilight," he said politely, "Snips bet me I can't name every kind of slug in the swamp, so I need to study!"

"A worthy endeavor," said the alicorn with mock formality, "I hereby give you my royal approval." She jotted the title and date in the logbook and floated the tome into the colt's saddlebags. "Enjoy!" she said with a smile.

"Thanks Princess," said the colt as he trotted towards the front door, "Thanks mister Defender!" He stopped as he opened the door. "Eep," he cried as he quickly slammed the door and ran behind and underneath Twilight's desk.

"What's wrong Snails?" she asked of the quivering colt at her feet.

"She's so mean," whispered Snails in a terror stricken voice. "Why's she so mean to us."

Argent walked to the front door and opened it enough to stick his head out. A large mob of shouting ponies appeared to be stalled between the market and the Library, their shouts echoing across the entire plaza. "Stay here," he said, grabbing his shield from where it hung next to the door.

"Ya'll need to stop this," shouted Applejack, "t'ain't right!" She tried to push her way through the crowd. She didn't see who the anger was aimed at, but the farm-mare thought that nopony deserved this kind of treatment. As soon as she pulled one pony out of the way, another shifted in front of her.

"Get out of Town," chanted the crowd as they continued hurling a seemingly endless supply of produce at the mare. The now surrounded Trixie fell to her knees and flinched as tomatoes began raining down upon her. She didn't try to shield herself from the barrage. "Trixie is sorry," she sobbed, "Trixie is so sorry." The mob either didn't hear her, or simply didn't care.

Argent arrived and pushed several of the riotous ponies away as he forcefully made his way to the center of the mob. His riot training at the Academy proved its worth. Applejack followed in his wake. He saw his sister recoil as a large rotten tomato slammed against the side of her head. With a wordless roar he sprinted to her side, levitating his shield in front of them. "Leave her alone!" he shouted, "As a Royal Guard, I command you to disperse!"

"Where were you guards when she terrorized us?" shouted a stallion as he tossed another tomato, "You can both get out of Ponyville!" Shouts of agreement rang across the plaza as the mob restarted its vegetable assault. Argent tried to protect his sister, but the ballistic produce rained down from all sides.

Applejack jumped to the other side of Trixie, expertly bucking a few large heads back at the ponies who threw them. "Ya'll leave Trixie alone," she said, bucking a tomato, and getting a face full of juice for her efforts. "Next pony that throws anything gets ta meet Bucky and Kicks." She gave the air a mighty buck.

"Are you ponies out of your minds?" boomed a voice from above the crowd. Twilight unsteadily hovered above the fracas, her horn wreathed in the lavender aura of her magic. She teleported herself to Argent's side and dared the rowdy ponies to assault a princess. "I will forget the face of anypony who leaves now," she announced, her eyes filled with anger, and her mane slowly smoldering.

The crowd immediately dispersed. Even the burliest of stallions gave the princess a wide berth as they galloped back to the market. Satisfied that the mob had scattered, she turned to Argent. Her mouth dropped as her bodyguard had her rival, and one of the biggest pains in her flank, cradled in his arms.

"Are you okay Trixie?" he asked, "They didn't hurt you did they?" He used his magic to pick the assorted remains of vegetables from her mane and coat. The blue mare continued sniffling, her eyes locked onto her brother in a desperate plea for help. "Twilight, could you please teleport Trixie to the Library? I'll pull her cart to the tree."

"Of course Argent," she said. Twilight lifted Trixie to her hooves and flared her magic. The two disappeared with a flash.

Argent harnessed himself to the cart and slowly pulled it to the side of the Library.

"That definitely never happened," said the cloaked alicorn from the alley. Twilight turned towards Argent and released her magical bindings. "Argent, I'm sorry, but you couldn't help her."

"Save it," said the stallion, "Just for once, save the lecture." He turned and started walking back towards their home.


The two mares flashed into existence in the upper floor of the library. Twilight slowly escorted the mare to the bathroom. "Here Trixie," she said, "let's get you cleaned up." She operated the valves and soon the tub filled with warm water. Steam filled the room as Twilight eased Trixie into the bathtub. The blue unicorn slipped into the water without a reaction, her empty gaze focused on the wall.

"Trixie," said Twilight, "I'm so sorry for what they did to you." The blue showmare simply continued to stare forward, her hooves slowly running a washcloth over her coat.

"Trixie?" said Argent as he threw the door open and stormed into the bathroom. The stallion ran to the tub and sat beside it. He reached in and placed his forelegs around the blue mare's neck.

"Argent!" shouted Twilight, "Get out, she's taking a bath!"

"We've bathed together before," he said.

Twilight's jaw dropped and sputtering noises emanated from her mouth. "But...She...I..." said the alicorn.

Argent saw the intense red bloom on his charge's cheeks and threw his hooves up. "Oh...oooh..." he said, "She's my sister Twilight: My twin sister."

The alicorn couldn't help but sigh in relief at the realization. "Wait," she shouted, "Trixie is your sister!?"

"Uh, yeah," said Argent, "last time I checked, she was." He was puzzled by her reaction. "You two have met before, I take it?"

"You might say that," said Twilight looking at the still catatonic unicorn, "Trixie brought an Ursa Minor down on Ponyville the first time she was here."

"It wasn't Trixie's fault," said the mare in a soft voice, "Trixie just told a story."

"Ok, then how do you explain using an ancient evil amulet to throw me out of town and rule over it as a tyrant?" asked Twilight.

"Trixie said she was sorry" replied the mare. She dunked her head under the water and emerged with a thoroughly drenched mane. "Why are you with Sparkle, Argent?" she asked her brother, "Oh, Celestia...please tell my you're not with Sparkle." The thought chilled the bathing unicorn to her very core.

"Captain Armor promoted me after the coronation," he said, "I'm Princess Twilight's personal Guardspony and assistant now." He couldn't help but keep the pride from his voice.

"Princess?" said Trixie, looking at Twilight for the first time. "You have wings now," she said calmly. "Great. Wonderful. Good." The blue unicorn ground her teeth together as her face slowly turned red. "Oh come on!" she shouted, pounding the water with her hooves, "How is Trixie supposed to compete with that?"

"Wasn't much of a competition to begin with," mumbled Twilight. Trixie narrowed her eyes and stared down the alicorn.

"Why don't we let Trixie enjoy her bath," said Argent, "We'll be in the library downstairs sis." The two descended the stairs and sat on one of the many reading sofas.

"I don't know why she's here," said Argent, "But would it be alright if she stayed with me for now?" He looked to the ground and rubbed his hooves together nervously. "I've never seen her like that, and don't want her to be alone."

"Of course," said Twilight, "After what she went through, I insist she stays with us." She closely examined her bodyguard. "You know," she said, "I can see the resemblance now, especially with your coat and her mane."

"Well, I'm told the silver coloring was common in our family," Argent said as he ran his hoof through his short cut black and white mane. "I took after our father, and she took after our mother." He quickly changed the subject. "So, what exactly was all this about Ursas and evil amulets?"

Twilight spent the next half hour explaining her history with his sister. "So she tried to stop this Ursa minor, but she really wasn't prepared," Twilight explained. "And I finally had to overcome my fear of showing off." She described the series of spells she used to calm the beast, noting his laughter at the mention of the giant milk bottle.

"You can milk a cow with your magic?" he asked mirthfully.

Twilight blushed and hid her head behind an outstretched wing. "Well, the book described milking a goat," she said, "but the theory seemed to work fine for cows as well." Twilight powered through the Ursa incident and right into the alicorn amulet fiasco.

"She told me she needed those bits for a new cart," said Argent as he shook his head. "I had to survive on mess hall boiled hay for a month."

"Well congratulations," kidded the mare, "You helped fund a coup." Twilight finished her story, making sure to emphasize that Trixie did apologize. "You don't really seem surprised by any of this," she asked Argent after she finished.

"Don't get me wrong," said Argent, "She obviously stepped over a line with that amulet, but the Ursa thing is pretty much par for the course." He turned to Twilight and adopted a serious tone. "You have to understand, Princess," he began, "Trixie doesn't mean to cause trouble...usually." He shifted on the sofa and continued. "She just loves magic so much, and sometimes she goes overboard." He looked down and kicked his hooves in front of him. "And she never let's anyone help her when she's in trouble; and she gets into a lot of trouble."

Twilight considered her own history of magical disasters and began to see Trixie in a new light. While she had her friends and the Princesses, Trixie only had Argent, and he was busy training to be a guard. Twilight's mistakes became learning experiences; Trixie's mistakes led to her being pelted with produce in the center of Ponyville. "I've put any hard feelings aside," said Twilight. "She clearly has had a tough time of it lately, and I'd like to help her if she'll let me."

The showmare emerged from the bathroom in time to hear Twilight's response. She looked down on her brother and Sparkle from the second floor landing. "Trixie does need your help...Princess," she said as she walked down the stairs. Reaching the reading couch, she sat next to Argent. "Trixie's magic is failing her," she said, her eyes starting to water. She flared her magic to demonstrate. A potted flower levitated off a nearby table and floated towards the collection of ponies. A few paces away from the couch, the aura around Trixie's horn began to flicker. The aura around the book flickered at the same frequency before one final flash resulted in the plant spontaneously bursting into flame. Argent jumped into action and smothered the small flame with his hooves.

The showmare hung her head in shame. "The Great and Powerful Trixie cannot live like this," she said.

"And she won't have to," said Twilight, tilting Trixie's chin up with her hoof. "I promise that I will do everything I can to fix your magic."

Trixie had imagined having to convince Twilight to help her. The various scenarios she had concocted ranged from simple bribery to offers of lifelong servitude, depending on how well Twilight could haggle. One particularly nasty nightmare consisted of her having to change her name to "The Poor Helpless Trixie," and never finishing a show without mentioning the magical superiority of Twilight Sparkle. To simply be offered help, with no strings attached, was not anticipated. Only Argent had ever treated her with such kindness. Trixie threw her forearms around the alicorn's neck and wrapped her in a tight hug.

Twilight smiled and returned the hug. "It'll be all right Trixie," she said, "You can stay with us here, and we'll get you back to awing the ponies of Equestria in no time."

Argent stood in front of the mares with a smile. He sniffled and wiped a tear from the corner of his eye. Twilight saw him and motioned him forward with a nod of her head. He stepped forward and engulfed his sister in an embrace. Twilight spread her wings and draped them around the siblings.


"Please Argent, you have to understand," said Twilight from behind the stallion. He had been striding down the road that led to their cottage. "She can't know we're here," said Twilight. "The fact that the past you helped her proves that we have to stay hidden."

"So it's a bad thing that you and I stopped an angry mob from attacking my sister?" asked Argent angrily. "Forgive me if I don't see the logic in that."

"We didn't help her. That never happened," said Twilight, fighting to keep a wave of exasperation from washing over her. "And yes, I'm glad that 'We' helped her this time. I'm just trying to make you understand that we can't become involved any more than we already have."

Argent sighed and turned back towards town. He truly understood her reasoning, but it's one thing to understand and another thing entirely to accept. Twilight tried to lecture and walk backwards at the same time. "You cannot go to her," she reiterated, "I don't want to have to order you to go home, but I will." Her authority was somewhat undermined as she lost her balance and landed on her rear.

The stallion stopped and offered her his hoof. "I'm not going to go see Trixie," he said, "but I would very much like a drink." He pulled her to her hooves and continued on his way. "You're welcome to join me, unless you think that two anonymous patrons in Berry's bar can somehow bring doom upon Equestria." The stallion didn't wait for a response and began trotting towards the local watering hole.

"As long as you stay anonymous," she said falling in at his side, "and sober."

"Really," he replied, "You're worried about me not being able to handle a drink?" Argent smiled for the first time since the incident in the market.

"If you are referring to the incident with the Satyrs," said Twilight, "I'll remind you that we agreed never to speak of it."

Rolling his eyes, Argent led the way to a fair sized building along the northern road. A familiar wooden sign depicting a pony raising a mug hung from a post outside. The sound of revelry wafted from the front door as they approached. Twilight double checked her hood and made sure her mane was still clipped in place. Argent opened the door and the two ponies made their way inside the tavern.

Neither pony expected a greeting upon entering: The Plastered Pony was, as usual, full of ponies in various states of inebriation. Boisterous laughter competed with impromptu A Capella renditions of a new Sapphire Shores single. Berry Punch was in her usual role as waitress, despite sneaking drinks all night. Her brother, Barley Brew, was busy filling mugs and glasses from the tapped barrels and bottled spirits behind the bar.

Argent suppressed the urge to sidle up to the bar and chat up the siblings, and instead led Twilight to an empty semicircle shaped booth near the opposite wall. They placed their saddlebags underneath the table and slipped into the padded bench. A quick wave from Argent got Berry's attention, and the semi-soused waitress made a serpentine path to their table.

"Hi, guys," she said, "What can I getcha?"

"Barley wine for me," said Argent, "and a...cherry cordial fizz for the lady?" Twilight nodded her consent, and Berry was soon zig-zagging her way back to the bar. Within a few moments, she made her way back across the room, a small tray precariously balanced on top of her head. Each loss of balance was instantly corrected and the tray somehow kept its liquid cargo. She set the mug and small fluted glass on the table and headed back to the bar.

A silence fell over the two ponies as they levitated their drinks to their mouths. Argent savored the taste of the strong ale as the tension of the day slowly began to ease. Twilight casually sipped her drink and pondered how to apologize to
Argent. "I am sorry you know," she said, deciding that the direct approach was the best option. "I would never have done that to you if I had a choice in the matter." She placed her glass down and took his hoof in hers. "There's just so little we know right now, and discretion is our best option."

Argent put his mug down and hung his head. "You're forgiven of course, and you're probably right," he said, "but that doesn't mean we should avoid helping anypony who needs it." He took another drink from his mug and continued. "We saved three lives already," he said, "and inadvertently kept my sister from being accosted by an angry mob." Argent rubbed his muzzle against Twilight's and squeezed her hoof. "I know you wouldn't hesitate to do it again if somepony were in danger."

Twilight realized that he wasn't going to be swayed, and she was starting to doubt her own arguments. The stubbornness and tenacity of royal guards wasn't always a boon to the royals themselves. "You're right," she said, "I wouldn't." Twilight levitated her glass in front of her and took another sip. "But I won't actively seek out trouble unless somepony is in danger, and I won't alter the past as it suits me." She looked at Argent in the eyes and raised her glass. "Can we at least agree on that?"

"Done," he said, clinking his mug against her glass.

The couple snuggled together in the booth, each relieved at the easing of the tension between them. An hour slipped by as each had their glass refilled by Berry. A little bit of liquid courage eased Twilight's paranoia and fear and allowed her to sit in a room full of familiar ponies while conversing with her coltfriend. Leaning her head against Argent's shoulder, she yawned.

Her sleepiness wasn't dispelled by a loud noise, rather, she was jarred alert by a hush descending over the tavern. Fearing she had somehow given herself away, Twilight brought her hooves to her cloak, making sure that it was pulled as far forward as possible. The stares of the patrons, however, were focused on the trio of ponies that just entered the bar. Twilight squeaked in alarm and did the only thing she could think of to hide both of their faces.

"Princess Twilight!" shouted Berry, "Wow, a real princess in my bar." She ran to the door and ushered the trio through the bar, to a large table set in the middle of the room. As they passed through the bar, occasional mutters and grumbles followed in their wake. The stares remain fixed on Trixie as she took her seat. Argent sat next to her and gave her a reassuring pat on the back.

Twilight stopped before her seat and, with a single flap of her wings, jumped onto the table. "Yes," she said in a clear strong tone, "Trixie is back in Ponyville" She slowly turned in a circle, looking each patron in the eyes. "She is very sorry for the trouble she has caused, and I have forgiven her." Her gaze passed over the pair of cloaked ponies in the corner booth, one wrapping the other in a deep kiss. She fought off the blush and continued her monologue. "She has wronged me as much as any of you, and if I can forgive and forget, so can you." She stepped off the table and took a seat. "Berry, it's been a very stressful day," she asked the stunned waitress, "could we possibly get a few mugs of cider?"

"Of...of course Twi...Princess Twilight," she said before hurrying to the bar.

"You don't need to stand up for Trixie like that," said the showpony. "Trixie only ask for your help in getting her magic working again."

"You don't get one without the other," said Argent. "And you deserve another chance."

"You'll see," said Twilight, "The ponies of Ponyville are good ponies, they just need to be reminded of that sometimes."

Berry returned and produced three mugs of frothy apple cider. The three ponies settled into an evening of reminiscing. The lightly alcoholic beverages managed to loosen Trixie's mouth, and she was soon telling stories from their childhood.

"So the gallant knight here, who has about as much magical aptitude as a potato, sees this bully heckling me at the orphanage Talent Show," she said, slapping her brother on the back. "The jerk decides to throw a chair at me, and Argent here somehow levitates an entire lunch table in front of us to block it." She snickered as she recalled what happened next. "Unfortunately, the snacks that were on the table managed to fall right onto the judges." Trixie talked through the giggles and outright laughter from Twilight. "And he doesn't even notice, because he realizes that he just got his Cutie Mark."

"Yeah yeah," mumbled Argent, "and you lost the talent show." He downed his second mug of cider and waved at Berry for a third. "And I've never heard the end of it." The pair of mares broke out in a boisterous laugh at the stallion's expense. Their mirth had seemed to put the entire bar at ease. The stares of wariness and hostility disappeared and a general atmosphere of revelry flowed once more.

"Celestia above," muttered the elder Twilight, "When are they going to go home?" She had spent the first few minutes in a panicked make out session with Argent, but as it became obvious that the trio of young ponies were planning on spending the evening in the bar, she released the stallion and settled in for the long haul. As she nervously sipped her liqueur, Twilight lamented her relative ignorance when it came to the magic of Illusion. "I'll need to find a suitable disguise spell," she thought to herself. "We could just walk right past them."

The door to the bar burst open as Rainbow Dash flew in. The elder Twilight grabbed onto the stallion at her side. "What now," she hissed in annoyance. Argent shakily placed his mug back on the table and suppressed a yelp as Twilight unknowingly threatened to crush his ribs. He peeled her off just in time to see Rarity stride into the bar, her mane tangled, and dusty saddlebags drooping off her sides. Twilight began shaking in his arms.

"Twilight, darling," said Rarity as she walked to the large table, "I almost didn't believe Spike when he told me you were here." She looked at her companions and gave a polite cough. "Ever so sorry for interrupting Argent," she said before acknowledging Trixie. "I do hope your visit is less eventful this time around Miss Trixie." Rainbow Dash silently hovered above the table, her suspicion filled eyes locked on the showmare.

"Rarity and Dash!" exclaimed Twilight, "Why don't you two join us." Twilight gestured to the empty seats around the table. "How was your trip with the fillies?"

"That's why we're here," said Dash as she took a seat next to Twilight, "but I don't know if we should talk about it around her."

"Trixie is sorry," said Trixie before Twilight could give the pegasus a stern lecture. "Trixie knows she treated you and your friends horribly and you still helped free her from the Alicorn Amulet." Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped as the pony she thought of as the most arrogant and prideful creature in all of Equestria humbly apologized.

Rarity reached out a hoof and pushed Rainbow's slack jaw back into place. "Of course you are forgiven Trixie," said Rarity, "I told everypony that such a stylish mare couldn't be all that bad." She walked around and gave Trixie a friendly hug. "Now I hate to ruin your evening," she said, "but I think it's best you see this." Her bags levitated over the center of the table and dumped their cargo onto the table.

From across the room, both Argent and Twilight could clearly see the glint of metal as it fell to the table. The two cloaked ponies both stared as Rainbow Dash began rearranging the silver shards. "Stay here," said Argent as he stood and slowly walked towards the bar with his empty mug. Passing within inches of his younger self, Argent's suspicions were confirmed as the pieces of his shattered shield were rearranged on the table. The pink six pointed star left no doubt. He dropped off the mug at the bar and left a handful of bits with Barley Brew. He passed the central table again in time to see Rarity handling one of Twilight's golden hoof cups.

"Yeah," he said upon his return to the shadowed booth, "We're going to want to leave now." He levitated their saddlebags to his back began walking towards the exit.

Twilight stood immediately and nervously tugged at her hooded cloak. Gathering her nerves, she started walking as nonchalantly as she could, determined not to draw any attention to herself. The glasses of liqueur she had imbibed had other plans. The combination of her compromised balance and a slightly raised floorboard sent her swaying towards the table she was trying to avoid. Just as she started to crash into Trixie, her momentum was halted by the elder Argent. In his haste, his hood had slipped off his head and onto the back of his neck. Trixie turned when she felt the light contact and watched the the black and white striped maned stallion escort the cloaked pony from the bar.

"Couldn't be," she thought, "The matrons said they were gone." Trixie turned to Twilight Sparkle and tugged on her wing to grab her attention. "Twilight," she said, "Trixie needs some fresh air." She stood and pushed her chair back under the table. "Trixie will be right outside." Twilight nodded as Trixie trotted to the door. Argent was busy examining the shield and she didn't want to get his hopes up in the likelihood that her suspicions were false. She emerged from the bar in time to see that the two cloaked ponies had started quickly trotting along the northern road. "Trixie knows only two ponies with that mane." she said to herself as she galloped after them. "One is in the bar, and the other should be dead."

Author's Note:

Go home Trixie, you're drunk.

I've just realized how awkward it's going to be to write for younger and older selves in the same scene.