• Published 20th May 2013
  • 7,536 Views, 257 Comments

The Road Not Taken - levarien



Twilight has spent her adult life keeping Equestria safe. While her friends found careers, family, and love, she has spent her time searching for ways to defend them all. Resentment now rules her heart, and somepony has to get through to her.

  • ...
29
 257
 7,536

Ch. 21: Forgiveness

"Two Twilights!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie, "That's two times the super smart magical princess." She hopped around the two alicorns excitedly. "Oh my gosh, do you know what this means?" She stopped in front of the still shocked group of friends. "Double Birthday Party!" said the hyper mare, "Two cakes!"

"Focus Pinkie," said Rainbow Dash.

"Two birthday songs!" continued Pinkie.

"Pinkie, I really think you should let Twilight speak," said Fluttershy.

"Two games of Pin the Tail on the Pony!" shouted the obsessed earth pony.

"Allow me girls," said Rarity, raising her hoof above the pink mare's head.

CLONK

Pinkie shook her head and looked back at the two alicorns, her eyes crossed. "Four Twilights!" she shouted happily. Rarity held her hoof to her forehead and sighed before inviting the mare to take a seat beside her.

"I reckon ya'll have a story to tell," said Applejack, "but I think we ought to get going before more of those things come back." She nuzzled Soarin's injured wing as she helped him to his hooves. "I think we've all seen as much of this place as we'd like."

"They're gone," said Argent as he followed Twilight out the front double doors, "and they won't be coming back. Twilight said they were 'Beasts of the Void.'"

"I did?" asked the younger Alicorn, "The elements were a bit... overpowering... this time. I don't really remember anything past activating them."

"I don't think it was you," replied Argent, "The words came out of your muzzle, but they didn't make much sense. Something about First Ones, and Equilibrium."

"Equilibrium?" said Twilight, "that means something..." From the corner of her eye, she noticed the dark blue coated mare walking alongside the older Argent. She casually flared her horn and wrapped the older unicorn mare in a magenta aura. "I didn't forget about you," she said, "though with that cloak, I think it's pretty obvious who you are." As the hastily created illusion faded away, the older Trixie furrowed her brow as she glared at the younger alicorn.

"Trixie will thank you to ask before your using magic on her," she said haughtily, "her equipment is sensitive to such intrusions of Trixie's personal space."

"No way," said the flummoxed younger Argent, a stunned expression on his face. He circled the older mare and lifted battered wizard's hat with his magic.

"What did Trixie just say?" asked the annoyed mare as she pulled the hat back down.

"How long have you been here?" asked the young stallion, "How did you get here? Why didn't you-"

Twilight silenced him by holding a hoof to his lips. "There will be time for that on the way home," she said, "for now, I think we should let them get some rest. It looks like they've had a tough time of it."

Argent looked more closely at the older ponies and nodded in understanding. Their coats were matted, their eyes were glazed over drowsily, and their heads hung low: All the tell tale signs of exhaustion, both mundane and magical. He squinted as he looked into the bright noon sun and flared his horn. A small golden flare zoomed high into the sky, exploding in a shower of brilliant sparkles. "It's going to be a bit crowded up there," he said as the two distant airships began their slow descents, "but the cabin should have enough room for them to get some rest while we explain everything."


The Sun Skimmer flew into the horizon of brilliant oranges and reds. The sun was half obscured as it sunk below the rolling hills to the west. The lush farmland of southern Equestria drifted by below, a blur of green and blue that starkly contrasted the reds and browns of the deserts farther south. Twilight stood at the bow with a large tome levitated in front of her.

"Portals and Other Magic Transportation: A Study in Translocation by Gladys Aperture," said the stallion, "I remember taking a train to Baltimare to fetch that for Twilight."

"I can see why she wanted it," said the young alicorn, "This book is amazing." She turned and fixed a overly dramatic stern glare on the older stallion. "Though you two will have to answer for this," she said flipping to the inside of the front cover. "'Property of HRH Princess Celestia. If found return to Royal Library.' I think Ms. Dust Jacket will be quite cross with the both of you."

"Ouch," said Argent, "I remember her lectures and punishments; punishments I usually ended up taking. I think I'll throw myself at your hooves, beg for your mercy, and take my chances."

"Proper enforcement of library rules is critical in maintaining proper organization," recited Twilight. She closed the book and looked over the side of the ship at the terrain below. "You know for the longest time I thought that I would become her apprentice," said the alicorn, "after I finished my studies under the Princess, of course."

"She never mentioned that," said Argent, "but I suppose it makes sense. She taught me the ins and outs of running the main desk when she was too busy, which ended up being all the time."

"What's it like," asked Twilight, "being together after twenty years?"

"Together?" asked Argent, "as in 'together' together."

"Well yeah," said Twilight, "two decades of life together must have been amazing. Do we have foals? Is Spike still my number one assistant?"

"Are you sure you want to know all this?" asked Argent, "I wouldn't want you to think that you had to live your life a certain way just because we have."

"Do you really think it matters after everything you two have done?" she asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Point taken," said the stallion. "Well, to be honest, we really haven't really been anything other than guard and princess until we came here, not that I didn't want more. It just never happened." He looked wistfully towards the sunset. "So, obviously, that means no foals. Spike moved out a few years ago, he really didn't have much to do around the library, and to be honest, Twilight was becoming a bit difficult to work with."

Twilight removed her hoof from over her mouth and tried to compose herself. "I drove Spike away?" she asked, choking off a sob.

"You didn't do anything," said the voice behind them. The older alicorn yawned as she stepped in between her younger self and her stallion. "I spent so much time trying to protect everypony all by myself, that I guess I expected those closest to me to show the same single minded, some might say obsessive, dedication," she said. She rested her head across Argent's withers and sighed. "It's a wonder they stayed around as long as they did," she said, "I know Argent will probably say 'I told you so,' but I think you could do a lot better than I did. I wouldn't mind the changing the past if it meant more of the happiness I've experienced over the last few months."

"This isn't your past," said the younger Twilight, "so you don't have to worry about changing it."

"You can't tell me this isn't my past," said Twilight matter-of-factually, "How else would I know about the Kenku and the Lich?" She pointed towards the trailing Sparrow and smiled widely. "How else could I possibly know about Applejack's condition and the Heartmend potion?"

"Have a seat, and lets talk," said the younger mare, "I have a few things to tell you, but first let me ask you a question: What happens when you make a decision?"


"How many?" asked Twilight, her forehooves shaking as she tried to sip the magically warmed cup of bitter tea. The hum of the Sun Skimmer's magical thrust fans and the sound of the wind rushing past the hull provided a constant reminder of the urgency with which they were speeding back towards Equestria.

"Nopony was lost," said her younger counterpart, "but there were some very serious injuries. Miss Bounty knows most of the ponies who were hurt if you really want to know the details. It was her warehouse that was destroyed."

"I didn't know," said the older mare, "you have to believe that I would have told you the second we came to Ponyville had I known." She reached across the small collapsible table and grabbed the younger mare's hooves in her own. "Please, don't blame Argent, he had nothing to do with it."

"This isn't about blame," said the younger mare, "we need to focus on getting both of you home and stopping the Rockfalls. Your Celestia said that you'd be the only pony who would know how to end this."

"End this?" asked the older mare, "I didn't even know what 'this' was until a few minutes ago!" She looked back towards the bed where her Argent was staring at the ground in confusion. "I've hurt ponies," she said miserably, "Celestia help me, I've actually hurt ponies with my magic."

"You didn't mean to," said the younger alicorn.

"That doesn't matter," said Twilight, "you're enough like me to know what I promised to Daddy and Mother when I began my studies. What did they make us promise before mother bought us our first basic spellbook?" The younger mare stared back at her older self and sighed. "I promise that I will only use my magic to help other ponies, or learn how to help them," they said in unison, "I will only use my magic safely and responsibly."

"And then daddy took us out for donuts," said the young mare.

"Lemon filled with raspberry icing," said the older mare wistfully. "Knowing that I let them down like this tears me apart."

"Were we responsible when we cast the 'need it, want it' spell?" asked the younger mare.

"No," said the older Twilight, "but nopony was hurt fighting for Ms. Smartypants. The princess was there to make everything better."

"Then let's do that," said the younger mare. "We're the princesses, it's up to us to make things better." She floated over the large crate of pilfered books and set it next to the railing. "We've got several hours before we'll arrive back in Ponyville," she said, "tell me what you were hoping to find in all of these books, and we'll get to work on fixing things."

Her spirits buoyed by her younger counterpart's determination, Twilight nodded and flared her horn. Tomes levitated from the box and began organizing themselves between the two mares. "I know when I'm in the way," said Argent as he stepped aside to allow more space for books to rest, "I think I'll go see how my siblings are doing."


"You're just going to have to get used to it then," said Argent as he led his odd family out of the cabin, "because you're not leaving our sight until we're back where we belong."

"Trixie wasn't the one hiding," said the mare, "why should she be forced to live under Sparkle's roof? If anything, Sparkle should be under Trixie's watchful eye, to make sure she doesn't try any more of her destructive spells."

"I'm sorry," said Argent, "did you want to host us in your palatial mansion?" He stepped onto the deck of the Sun Skimmer and walked over to the foredeck the two alicorns had cordoned off as their study zone. "Now play nice," he said, "I'm going to help me pack up." He pulled the younger stallion back down the stairs into the cabin.

"So show Trixie what the two Sparkles have discovered," said the older unicorn, "She will let you know if you're on the right track.

The two alicorns remained focused on the books in front of them, paying little attention to the two unicorn mares standing over them. "Listen to this," said the younger mare:

Failure to complete a portal spell can result in significant damage if left unchecked. Each portal, as already discussed, come as a pair of sub-gates designated as the entry and exit gateway. Again, these names simply define the initial order the user wishes to use the portals; either gateway can be used to move to the other. The entry gateway is the first created, while the exit gateway is the second, which is either cast through the entry gateway to a place visualized in the mind, or, as is far safer, in pony at a location visualized with the caster's own eyes.

Portals with unstable entry points are largely useless. Undefined gateways can spontaneously jump about, causing anything unlucky enough to cross its threshold to fall to the other side. Dispelling these portals requires little effort; simply find the exit portal and use the simple spell discussed earlier.

Defined, but magically volatile, entryways can result in a stationary, but highly imbalanced portal. This type of gateway creates a powerful pulling effect, which can drag an unaware caster through before they are ready. As one of those casters, the author can attest to the strength of this odd phenomenon. Research into its origin haven't yielded an explanation thus far. Again, this unstable entry portal is easily dispelled, even more so than the previous example. The spell at the end of this section makes quick work of it.

As dangerous and troubling as an unstable entry portal is, a malfunctioning exit portal is far more worrisome. Again, two types of faulty exit portals are known. An undefined exit will lead to wherever the exit portal happens to be as it jumps around randomly. This doesn't seem troubling until one has seen a test dummy materialize halfway in the ground, or hundreds of feet in the air. This portal is perhaps the most difficult to dispel, as it rarely stays still long enough to dispelled.

Defined but magically unstable exit portals are perhaps the single greatest danger the reader will encounter in this tome. Much like it's entry portal relative, this malfunction exhibits and unexpected phenomenon. Where as the undefined entry portal pulls objects towards it with unusual strength, the exit portal will violently expel objects away from it. The danger this poses cannot be understated, even approaching one to dispel it will most certainly result in bodily harm. Ignore this warning at your own peril.

"I, um, didn't exactly pay attention to that chapter," said the older alicorn sheepishly, "but let's be honest, how useful is the spell if you have to see where you want to set the exit portal?"

"You messed it up in three out of the four possible ways," scoffed the older Trixie. "Bravo. You get a C in General Failure 101."

The younger Twilight ignored the barbs of the older Trixie and floated the large tome to her older doppelganger. "We can't just dispel the portal," she said, "we need to stabilize it and get you three home."

"There's nothing in here about repairing an already damaged portal," said the older alicorn, "if it comes down to it, I'll have to dispel the portal, though Celestia knows how I'll manage that."

"Getting close to the portal will take some doing," said the younger mare, "the book does make it sound quite dangerous."

"Trixie refuses to be trapped here," said the ignored unicorn, "give that book to Trixie." She reached for the large tome, only to have it floated away from her grasp.

"It will be dangerous," said the older mare, her horn aglow with her magenta aura, "the histories of the day mention Gladys Aperture as a genius when it came to these spells, but I think she may have paid a terrible price for her creations." She looked around the pile of pilfered books and found the copy of Great Mages through the Ages. The tome opened and the pages fanned out on their own accord before stopping midway through the book. Twilight raised it and showed it to her younger self. A hoof drawn picture of a young mare, barely older than the younger alicorn herself, smiled as she stood and posed for the artist. Across her hindquarters was fitted a sling attached to a metal frame with two wheels. "I've always wondered what put her in that wheelsling," said the older mare, "but that's not what I'm worried about."

"Trixie isn't worried about you breaking your fool back either," said the unicorn mare as she twisted the slate ring around her horn and flared her magic. She ripped the floating book out Twilight's magical grasp and began leafing through it.

"I love you too Trixie," said Twilight with a rueful shake of her head, finally acknowledging the mare's existence, "Gladys was one of the greats, so you'd be incorrect to take her word that a spell was simple." She flared her horn and created a small set of portals around the pile of books. "Trixie," she said to the older unicorn, "see if you can dispel those. The exit gateway is the one closest to me."

Trixie raised her eyes from the tome and glared at the alicorn. She turned the pages of the tome, looking for a table of contents, or an index showing the location of the counterspell.

"Page seventy five," said the younger Twilight, "bottom of the page."

"Thanks," grunted Trixie as she began reading the spell. Within seconds she was nodding her head and closing the book. "Trixie doesn't know what you're talking about," she said, twisting the ring around her horn and flaring her pink aura, "Trixie has seen more complicated spells in magic kindergarten." She tilted her head at the glowing magical portal and surrounded it with a cloud of hazy pink energy. When nothing happened she reached up to her horn and twisted the ring another quarter turn, intensifying the aura around the portal. She reached up to her horn but found a lavender hoof barring her own.

"Don't bother," said the older alicorn, "the dispel is keyed to the original caster's magic. Gladys herself wouldn't be able to close these small portals." She turned to perform the spell herself, but was seconds too late, as the younger alicorn bent over and poured her own magic into the opening in the air. "I told you it wouldn't work," she said.

The portal shimmered and shook as the young mare poured more and more magic into it. Sweat beaded on her forehead as Twilight felt the portal finally give way. It dilated shut, causing the entry portal to quickly wink out of existence instantaneously. "Wow, that wasn't easy at all," she said, fanning her face with a hooful of blank parchments.

"I was just getting to that," said the older alicorn, "the counter spell is simple, true, but the energy required is immense. It gets even more difficult the more magic you use to create the portal. But the fact that you could close a portal I made is a good sign." She stood to her hooves and stretched her legs. "We'll need to do some research," she said, "and some practice will be crucial as well. I think that if we can find the exit portal, we can close it."

"We'll find a way to stabilize it," said the younger Trixie as she looked over her older self's shoulder at the spellbook she was reading, "You're going home, all of you."

"I appreciate that," said the older mare, stepping up to the young unicorn's side and draping a wing over her back, "but I won't let innocent ponies suffer while we figure out how to repair my spell, not when we could end it once and for all."

"Princess...es," called Mane Sail from the wheel on the raised aft deck, "Ponyville's in sight. It looks like a welcome party is on the way." He pointed to the cluster of buildings far in the distance. A black trail of billowing smoke swiftly approached the pair of airships from the skies above the town. As it came closer, blurs of rainbow hued and electric yellow colors launched from the deck of the nearby Sparrow.

The younger alicorn stood and brushed off her coat. "Go find your Argent," she said to her older self, "You'll both need to disguise yourselves again." She saw the pensive look on the older mare's face. "Don't worry about it," she said, "I told you before, I'd rather keep the ponies of Ponyville from having to worry about duplicates or dire warnings from the future. I think we can both agree that they've suffered enough of that on our account." She began levitating the scattered tomes and parchments into the empty crates.

As the two older mares descended into the ship's hold, Rainbow Dash quickly returned and landed aboard the Sun Skimmer. She trotted up to Twilight, panic evident on her face. "That was Star Trail," she explained, "he says something happened to the library."


"Spike!" shouted Twilight as she flew towards the visibly damaged tree home. Piles of rubble surrounded the Golden Oaks library. To her right, she saw the splintered remains of what she assumed was her observatory platform. Earth ponies surrounded the tree, hauling large boulders to waiting wagons. The tree itself was a mess. Several large chunks of rock hung in the higher limbs, the sturdy branches sagging under the tremendous weight.

"Wait," called Argent after her. He jumped from the side of the Sun Skimmer, wincing in pain as his shins protested the high drop from the still landing craft. He dashed after the alicorn, weaving around the debris she easily soared over. "You can't go in there," he shouted, "it might not be safe."

"Spike!" cried the mare as she landed at the front door. It nearly ripped from its hinges as a magenta aura flung it open. Twilight tripped over a toppled bookshelf and stumbled into a pile of paper and books. She flared her horn and began levitating it and other debris from her path. "Come on number one," she called out, "where are you?" She frantically began digging through the mess, looking for something she hoped not to find. Books were carelessly tossed at the walls as the alicorn searched for her dragon ward.

"You need to calm down," said the stallion as he stopped beside her and placed his foreleg around her withers. "They wouldn't be clearing the rubble if there was a chance that he or anypony else were still in here." She dropped to her haunches and threw her forelegs around his neck.

"I should have been here," she cried into his chest, "I shouldn't have left him all alone."

"It's okay love," said Argent as he stroked her mane, "we'll find him safe and sound; you know we will."

"Twily, honey?" said a cautious voice from the doorway, "is that you?"

"Daddy?" said Twilight, raising her head. Her father stood at the doorway, his horn aglow. "What are you doing here," she asked, "do you know where Spike is?"

"Come out of the dangerously unstable tree and see for yourself," he said. "You too lad, I would hate to have to tell Shining that his squire was crushed while I watched on." The pair of younger ponies carefully made their way across the ruined main floor of the library and met the older stallion at the door. "That's it," he said, "all safe and sound. Now you just have to deal with your mother." He led them out and into the large open square where ponies had begun gathering around the pair of airships being secured to the ground.

Twilight sprinted from the stallions' sides when she saw the young dragon standing beside her mother. The pair were in an animated discussion with the elements of harmony who had just disembarked. "She's fine Mrs. Velvet," said Applejack, "there, you see, she and Argent were already here." Applejack waved at the charging mare and the stallion following close behind. "Twi, your ma's been worried sick," she said before grabbing a pair of saddlebags and tossing them over her back. "Beggin' your pardon ma'am but we need to go visit the doc so this one'll stop pesterin' me." She led Soarin away from the plaza and towards the hospital.

"Spike!" cried Twilight as she flared her horn and pulled the dragon into her embrace. She squeezed the dragon tightly to her chest and swung him from side to side. "I thought I lost you," she said, her voice breaking.

"I'm okay Twilight," said Spike, "everypony's okay. Mama Velvet and Papa Night Light took me to Sugar Cube Corner before it happened." He wriggled in the alicorn's tight grasp. "Owlowiscious found us and and brought us back to the library to find... well... that." He felt his big sister shaking as she silently wept. "Twilight," he said, "everything's alright."

"Shhh," cooed Velvet as she surrounded both her daughter and adopted dragon in a hug, "let it out honey. I know those tears very well." She smiled at the two stallions as they trotted over and looked on. "How many times have we heard tales of our daughter facing a malevolent spirit of chaos," she asked, "or of a daughter-in-law stealing giant bug brainwashing our son? Just let it out and thank the stars that we're all still together. That usually works for us." Night Light joined in the family hug and kissed his daughter on the forehead.

"But *sniff* what about the library *sniff*," said Twilight.

"Trees grow back," said Velvet, "especially with a little magical help." She released her daughter after a few minutes and wiped away the alicorn's tears with a hoof. "I've already done what I can to strengthen the trunk, so it's just a matter of time before it's healthy enough to live in again. You'll be back in your bedroom cavorting with Argent before you know it," she said, "though you may need to go easy on the floors and walls for awhile."

"What?" asked Twilight, "we aren't, he's not..."

"Oh give it up Twily," said Night Light, "She's known for weeks now." He stood back up and threw a foreleg around Argent. "Honestly, we're both surprised it took you this long," he said before muttering to Argent, "our little chat still applies, young colt." He flashed a wry grin at the wide eyed younger stallion.

"I'll say," said Velvet, "I owe Cadance the first dozen roses out of the garden."

"Yeah?" said Night Light, "well I owe Shining a twenty year old bottle of Apple Brandy. Oh come on Twily, where are you going?"

Twilight surrounded Argent in her magenta aura and levitated him away from her parents as she began stalking back towards the ship and the collection of ponies and crates gathered around it. "Oracle," she called out while dropping Argent back to his hooves, "Horizon, pick up those crates and follow me." She placed Spike on her back and trotted towards the northern side of the plaza.

"Twilight, sweetheart," said Twilight Velvet as she followed her daughter with her husband in tow, "we're just playing with you. There's really nothing to be embarrassed about." She looked at the two vaguely familiar ponies levitating a couple of large wooden crates. "We've met before haven't we?" she asked the white coated mare. After a moment's thought, memories of a short train trip flashed in her mind. "Of course," she said, "the train ride a few months ago."

"Good," said Twilight, "you've already met each other. I don't know why I should be surprised by that." She led the way out of the central square and towards the cottages that flanked the northern road out of Ponyville. "Well it's time you meet them again."


"You know, you're much less intimidating without the glasses," said Argent to the mare sitting across from him at the small coffee table, "the Velvet from our time has a real 'no-nonsense teacher' look to her."

Night Light nearly choked on his glass of water as he tried to fight back the laugh. Velvet rolled her eyes and flashed the older Argent and exasperated glare. "You just gave him hope," said the mare.

"What can I say," said Night Light, "she looks good in her reading glasses. Oh don't give me that look Velvet."

"Is that all you two have to say?" asked the older alicorn. "I've put everypony in great danger. What if you two hadn't been here? What would have happened to Spike?" She levitated the remains of the hastily eaten dinner of clover pizza and sent it floating to the kitchen. "How can you laugh and joke around like this." she said, "you should all be cursing the day I learned my first spell."

"I had my doubts," said Night Light, "but you're really what you say you are." Velvet nodded in agreement. "Twilight, and this applies to both of you," he said, "you will always be your harshest critic. Yes, you messed up; yes, you broke your promise to us; but you're trying to make things right, and that's what really matters." He stood and hugged the older alicorn before helping Velvet to her hooves. "And I get to spend some more time with my little flamethrowing buddy," he said, "That's definitely a plus."

"And I get to have that second daughter I always wanted," said Velvet, "if only for a little while."

"I don't think we'll be able to visit... mother" said the elder Twilight, "even if we're in Canterlot, it will only be to track down more research material."

"Then it's a good thing we're staying in Ponyville for the time being," replied Velvet. "Like you said, the four of you are going to be very busy; far too busy to oversee the regrowth and repair of the library." She grabbed a stray clover and concentrated her magenta aura around the green shoot. The wilted green immediately began perking up, it's three leaves folding back out. Small roots pushed out of the new, thick stem. "Your mother knows a thing or two about coaxing plants back to life."

"She's killed enough of them to know," said Night Light.

Velvet reciprocated with a knee to the stallion's flank. "I'll have the trunk stabilized by the end of the week," she explained, "You get to focus on fixing this mess and getting yourselves home, and we'll have plenty of time to spend with our favorite little dragon: It's a win-win." A knock from the front door caught the attention of the ponies sitting on the sofa and chairs of the small cottage's living room.

Twilight raised her illusion and quickly made her way to the entry vestibule and opened the door. "Good evening citizen," said Princess Luna, "we are looking for Princess Twilight Sparkle. Her friends pointed us to this address." She looked past the tall unfamiliar mare at the two older ponies sitting on a couch. "Dame Velvet," she called out, "Sir Light, we can only assume that thou art here for your daughter."

The older Twilight stepped aside and invited the diarch of the night into her home. "They are Luna," she said, "they're here to see both of us." She dropped her disguise and returned to the living room. "Thank you for finding us," she said as the ancient alicorn took a few hesitant steps into the small cottage.

"Thou art most welcome," said Luna, "though I would safeguard the dreamscape of an pony so afflicted. Tell us, didst thou learn anything about the presence that violated the dreams of you and your mate?"

"Only that they are hateful, vicious monsters," said the younger Twilight, "Argent says I called them First Ones, but I have no memory of it. Using the elements sometimes leaves me a bit out of sorts."

"Indeed," said Luna, "Tia does oft tell me that it was a mercy she couldn't remember the exact moment of my banishment." She closed her eyes and flared her horn. A gilded metal box, adorned with gleaming silver crescent moons appeared in front of her. "When your dreams were no longer troubled by those abominations, we assumed... we hoped that Twilight had rescued you both." Luna twisted one of the silver crescents on the front of the box and heard a click from within the box. "A farmer near Trottingham found this while clearing stones from one of his fields," said Luna as she flipped the lid of the case with her magic. The large mangled pile of metal on top was barely recognized by the older Twilight as her trusty nine and a quarter catadyoptic telescope. She carefully lifted the crushed metal tube and regretted the loss of one of her favorite possessions, but what she saw underneath caused her to drop the ruined instrument to the ground.

"The elements are not easily destroyed," said Luna, "least of all the crown."

Twilight picked up her crown and ran her hoof along the empty setting where the pink gem used to rest. "I'm not worthy of it," she said with a sign, "I violated everything the crown represents."

"We all fall down Twilight," said Luna, "it is not something ponies can control, but we do have it within ourselves to get back up." She looked over to the younger alicorn and beckoned her forth with her hoof. "Come," she said, "We must consult with my sister. Worry not Sirs and Dames, we shall return anon." Luna draped her wings over both Twilights and flared her horn. A small circle of dark blue magic surrounded the ground beneath their hooves and a shimmering veil of energy emerged from the floor.


"Welcome my faithful students," said Celestia, "I'm so relieved to see both of you safe and sound. I knew you could do it Twilight." She walked across the void above a seemingly invisible floor. "I know you have questions," she said to the older Twilight, "my counterpart told me you have not returned to this place since your ascension. However, there simply isn't time to fully instruct you into the nature of this place. Simply know that this is a place for alicorns." She stepped in between the two Twilights and swept a hoof in front of her. "From here we can contact my counterpart in your time... in your world," said the solar regent. A white line split the space in front of the four alicorns and widened until it was a pony length across.

"Oh thank Harmony," said the alicorn on the other side of the window, "we had almost given up hope."

"Is it really you?" asked the older mare as she stepped up to the view screen. She reached out her hoof and watched as it passed through the image of Celestia sending ripples of color across the window.

"It is," replied Celestia, "and before you ask; yes, everyone is fine for the moment. The damage is limited Dragon's Peak for now. From what I've heard, the repercussions are more dire on your side of the portal."

"It wasn't supposed to be this way," said Twilight morosely, "I just wanted to stop myself from hurting my friends."

"Do you want to know what they said when they first came to me after your disappearance?" asked Celestia. "Here, watch this." Her horn glowed a bright gold and the screen flickered and morphed into the throne room of Canterlot Castle.

"We should have known something was bothering her," said Fluttershy, "she had been getting more and more distant, and we just went along with our lives." She hid behind her long flowing mane and sniffed out loud. "She's right," said the shy pegasus, "All I ever did was ask for advice on something she had denied herself."

"I know I should feel bad about all the trash she talked at the party," said Rainbow Dash, "but I don't remember the last time I dropped by the library and just asked her how she was doing." The pegasus hung her head in shame. "Some loyal friend I am."

"I couldn't make her smile," said Pinkie, her mane hanging from her head in a silky waterfall, "I tried, but everything I tried just made her angrier." Her mouth quivered as she sat on her haunches in front of the dais. "Maybe if I had just asked her what would make her happy, we wouldn't be in this mess."

"She was right of course," said Rarity, "in all of my foalish notions of romance and destiny, I forgot that honest and generosity often go hoof in hoof." She looked over at Applejack and smiled weakly. "I should have just asked her what she wanted so long ago. She has to know I would have done whatever I could to make it happen."

"And I shoulda never let her go that long without a good talkin to," said Applejack. "I got so involved in my growing family and the farm that I forgot that friendships need to be tended to as well." She removed her hat and held it to her chest. "We have to find her ya'll," she said determinedly, "She'll forgive us all, and we can make everything right again."

"They think I need to forgive them?" asked Twilight incredulously, "I treated them like dirt; worse than dirt. Why would they think that?"

"Because they're our friends," said her younger self, "they'll think the best of us no matter what we do." She smiled and looked back at her Princess and saw her nodding and smiling at every word she said. "You say what you did was horrible, and I believe you, but if they forgive you to the point where they believe you to be the wronged party, don't you think you can forgive yourself?"

The older mare looked down into the nebulous void and watched as wispy clouds of pastel pinks and greens swirled around each other. "I made a mistake," she said to herself, just low enough for the younger mare to hear, "but I've learned from it. I've hurt my friends, but they still love me." She remembered the stallion waiting for her back in their cozy little cottage. "Yes," she said, "I can make this better. I can forgive myself." From behind them, a flash of magenta light erupted.

"It is done," said Luna, raising the crown above her. Its six pointed star-jewel glinted in the diffuse light of the strange nether world. "The elements of your world are united once more." She floated it over to the older Twilight and gently placed it upon her brow. "When the time comes, their power will be yours."

"Indeed," said the alicorn in the window, "we shall make preparations for the others to be ready when you need them. Simply tell your Celestia and she will tell me." She looked at her student one last time as the window began sliding shut. "We will see you soon," she said before her imaged disappeared.

"We must leave," said Luna, "my sister must maintain her protection of Canterlot, and I must hurry to Baltimare to relieve the unicorns there." She stepped forward and once more draped her wings around the two lavender mares before transporting them back to the small cottage on the outskirts of Ponyville.


"I hope this isn't too inconvenient," said Twilight softly as she unfolded the blanket and passed it to her younger self, "We really never intended to be staying here all that long, or that we'd actually have guests."

"That's alright," said the young alicorn, "after a few nights on that airship, this couch feels heavenly." She draped the comforter over the softly snoring form of the younger Argent. "Are the Trixies settled in?" she asked while settling in next to the stallion.

"Yes," replied Twilight, "not without the usual amount of complaining. Apparently the sleeping bags and blankets aren't good enough for her."

"We'll stay with AJ or Fluttershy tomorrow," said the younger mare, "I'm sure our Trixie won't mind coming either. I was hoping she could get to know the girls better anyway." She snuggled close to Argent and used her magic to float a pillow behind her neck. "This is the best way to do it, right?" she asked.

"It's the only way to end this," said the older mare as she extinguished the lights in the living room, "The Trixies can figure out how to get us close to a Rockfall; you two can work on holding it open; Argent and I will figure out how to close it."

"Not until after you all return home," said the young mare.

"We'll see," said the older alicorn, "I hope you're right."

Author's Note:

Sorry it's late, I was never able to just sit down and write for more than an hour here or there the last few weeks. I think that shows in this chapter. Nevertheless, here it is. I'm just putting the pieces in place for the next two chapters, which should have much better pacing and action.