• Published 20th May 2013
  • 7,537 Views, 257 Comments

The Road Not Taken - levarien



Twilight has spent her adult life keeping Equestria safe. While her friends found careers, family, and love, she has spent her time searching for ways to defend them all. Resentment now rules her heart, and somepony has to get through to her.

  • ...
29
 257
 7,537

Ch. 17: Dreams and Nightmares

“Wake up,” said the stern voice.

Trixie snapped awake from the nightmare in a panic. “Am I awake?” she thought to herself. She cautiously raised her head and looked around for her tormentors. A shadowy form from across the small room paced impatiently and looked out the door.

“We don’t have time for this,” hissed the stranger, “get up now Trixie.”

“I’m not going anywhere with you, monster” said Trixie groggily, “whatever you are.” She turned over on the old wooden table that had been her bed the last few weeks and looked towards the wall. The sharp sound of hooves striking stone was all the warning she received before she was sent sprawling to the floor.

“We can get you out of here,” said the voice, “but it would be easier without carrying your unconscious body through these tunnels.”

“You do what you have to do, monster,” said Trixie without raising her head from the cold stone floor, “but we both know I’ll be waking up in this room soon enough.”

“How can you be Trixie Lulamoon,” said the voice, its tone slightly raised, “wallowing on the floor like a pathetic worm. We haven’t acted so pitifully, even in our most terrifying nightmares.” The stranger grabbed Trixie by the chin and turned her head so their eyes met. A flickering pink light from beneath the stranger’s large hat illuminated her face. “The Great and Powerful Trixie does not give up. She does not lie down and let the world do with her as it will.”

“Just stab me,“ said Trixie, “strangle me, or whatever. I don’t care. I’m not playing your game anymore.”

The stranger pulled off her large drooping hat, revealing her heavily altered horn. Several plates of metal wrapped around its surface, each polished to a mirror shine. Copper wires ran from leads near the tip to a slate grey ring of indeterminate material around the base. Runes ran around its circumference, each pulsing with a pink light in time with the aura around her horn. Several other wires ran behind her horn and under her silver mane. “The Great and Powerful Trixie doesn't know what these things have been doing to you,” she said, “but she needs your help. All of Equestria needs your help. Trixie is not one for sentimental superstition, but finding you here means something.”

Trixie looked at the eerie half reflection of herself and shakily rose to her hooves. “You’re from the future aren’t you?” she asked, finally getting a good look at the stranger. “You’re from where the other Sparkle and Argent came from.”

“You've seen them?” said the older unicorn. She held a hoof to her mouth, wincing as her raised voice echoed out of the room and down the long hallway. “You know where they are?” she whispered. She realized the situation they were in and shook her head. “Wait, never mind,” she said while putting her grey hat back on, “we need to focus on getting out of here now. Can you use your magic yet? Do you have your limiter?”

“Limiter?” asked the young unicorn. She took a few cautious steps towards her older self, the cuts on her stomach stretching painfully as she moved.

“Don’t worry about it,” said the elder unicorn, “follow Trixie and stay quiet.” The older Trixie walked to the door and peeked down the hallway. “Trixie used too much energy sneaking past them,” she whispered while leading the way out of the dank cell, “so a teleport is out of the question.” She peeked around the corner and up the stone-hewn stairs before proceeding.

“Wait,” whispered the younger Trixie, “I have to look for them!”

“They’re not here,” replied her senior self, “Trixie found you in the last cell, and believe her, they were never here.” She pulled the younger unicorn up the stairs into the basement of the crumbling building. A flickering torchlight from a hole in the ceiling at the far end of the room filled the basement with dancing shadows. She put a hoof to the device on her head and twisted the ring around her horn, causing the pink aura to fade away. They walked across the large basement, passing splintered wooden crates full of moldy books and crumbling statuettes of some unrecognizable alicorn. Cobwebs hung from every thick column and rafter beam.

“Okay,” said the older Trixie, “they must still be out hunting for more ponies. “ She jumped up and grasped the lower rungs of the ladder with her forehooves and awkwardly began pulling herself up. “Let’s get out of here before they return.”

The hatch slammed shut and the basement was thrown into near complete darkness. The elder unicorn quickly climbed the ladder and bashed at the trapdoor with her hooves. It gave slightly but refused to open.

“Not again,” whimpered the younger Trixie. She stared at a quartet of glowing red eyes that gazed back from a perch near the ceiling. The dull roar of an onrushing gale began filling the room, minus the feeling of moving air. Trixie desperately tried to flare her magic but only managed a few weak sparks, enough to manage a dim globe of pink light to illuminate the ground in front of her.

The older Trixie jumped down from the ladder and reached into her starry cloak. “Take cover,” she shouted, while pulling her hoof out, revealing a segmented platinum hoof bracer. A series of small golden arches, each decorated with more runes, ran down the length of the bracer straddling a thick copper wire. She pointed her hoof at the four points of red and flared her horn. The pink aura raced down the wire behind her mane, under her cloak, and into the bracer. With a loud *ZAP* a bolt of pink energy flew from her hoof and landed square between the red spots. The sound of wind died down but remained in the background. The older Trixie pointed her hoof into the air and fired another blast at the hatch, splintering the thick wooden door with the resulting concussion.

“There’s more!” shouted the younger Trixie. She watched as more glowing red eyes appeared from above rafters and behind crates. The sound of rushing air intensified again, but magnified to the point where she couldn’t hear her own screams. Trixie felt herself being pushed to the ladder and looked back at her older self.

“Go!” bellowed the older unicorn, her horn now afire with flashing pink luminescence. She looked down her foreleg and began firing blasts of magic at the things as they advanced upon them.

The younger Trixie, knowing she was useless in her magic deprived state, scrambled up the ladder, her aching body protesting every movement. The howling but motionless wind spurred her on, and the flashes of light let her know that her older self was still keeping the creatures at bay. She grabbed onto the wooden floorboards of the ground level and hauled herself out of the basement. She screamed when she saw the prone beast slumped against cracked masonry wall. If it weren't for the extra set of eyes on the side of its head, and the extra pair of legs on its midsection, it would have almost resembled a massive ebony panther.

Its eyes remained closed as Trixie shook off her shock and looked back down the hatch. Her older self stood halfway up the ladder, her head and forehoof turned down into the basement. Bolts of concussive energy continued flying at the beasts, though significantly weaker, and far less accurate. The younger mare reached down with her hoof and grasped the other’s outstretched leg. She heaved until the older unicorn was halfway out of the hatch.

“Run,” she shouted, “they’re just shrugging off my-” She dug her hooves into the wooden boards, trying desperately to keep herself from being pulled back down. The sound of cloth ripping and the feel of claws gouging into her back elicited a scream of agony from the older mare. “Go!” she shouted, her eyes locked on her younger self, “find Argent and Twilight.” A large paw tore into her shoulder and pulled her closer to the edge of the hatch. “Tell her she has to close-“

The cacophony of non-wind reached a crescendo as the older mare disappeared from view, drowning out anymore of her shouts. Four beady glowing eyes looked back up the hatch at the terrified younger mare and began climbing. Trixie took a last look down the hatch and choked a sob as she turned and ran out the large double doors behind her. The midday sun nearly blinded her as she dashed into the flat barren scrub land. She didn't turn back as the sound of screaming followed her. She didn’t know if it was Trixie, the wind, or herself.


Trixie whimpered as her legs flailed in her sleep. She slipped from the edge of the bed and landed back first on the floor. Waking to the feeling of painful cuts in her skin, Trixie immediately sighed in relief. The sharp sting, as painful as it was, had become a welcoming indication that she was in reality. ”Unless they've caught on to my trick,” she thought to herself. She looked around the unfamiliar bedroom and rose to her hooves. After placing the sheets back on the bed and probing the bandaged cuts on her stomach, she stepped through the door and cautiously made her way down a short hallway. Pale moonlight lit her way as she emerged into the living room of Twilight and Argent’s little cottage in Ponyville.

She walked to the couch and found the two ponies. Argent lay curled up in the forelegs of Twilight, the older mare gently stroking his mane as he slept. The alicorn looked up as Trixie entered the room and smiled. “Feeling better?” she asked softly, motioning to the other side of the couch.

“Trixie thinks so,” she replied while sitting, “but she’s still not sure she believes this is real.”

“What happened Trixie?” asked Twilight, “You weren't making any sense when we found you.” She rubbed behind Argent’s ears as he fussed in his sleep. “He’s barely slept since you arrived.”

“How long has Trixie been out?” she asked.

“Two days,” said Twilight, “I convinced him not to take you to the clinic until tomorrow. It was hard on him seeing you like that.”

Trixie rubbed her eyes with her hooves. “Trixie thought she had found them,” she explained, “recent disappearances near a border crossing that they used once. Trixie dared to hope she had found her first solid lead in years. It wasn’t even that far away.” Trixie stood back up and paced in front of the couch. “The last thing Trixie thinks she remembers, she had just crossed into Mexicolt and was settling down in the back of her cart for the night.”

“What you think you remembered?” asked Twilight in confusion.

“They get into your head,” replied Trixie, “they make you dream, but it doesn't feel like a dream. It’s like you’re living your life, but it’s not your life. It’s different in subtle ways. You think it’s real, that you’re happily living what you think is your life, but then they do it.”

“Do what?” said Twilight, “and who are they?”

“They,” replied Trixie, “them. Trixie doesn’t know what they are. They’re clever; they’re cruel; and they’re powerful.” She shivered and sat on the floor. “They made Trixie live these fictions, and then something terrible happened,” she said, “something awful always happened. I’ve seen Argent…” Her voice trailed off and tears tried to fight their way from her eyes. “They like betrayal,” she said, “they relish heartbreak, and they revel in despair.”

“Well, you obviously freed yourself,” said Twilight, “maybe we can find out what they are and you can get the princesses to investigate.

“Trixie freed Trixie,” said Trixie.

“Right,” said Twilight, “and you’ll have to tell me how you managed that.”

“No,” said Trixie, “A different Trixie rescued Trixie. She found Trixie in some underground cell and freed her.”

Twilight’s eyes widened to the size of small saucers. “Was she older?” asked the alicorn, “Did she have some… alterations on her horn? Did she say whether or not she knew how to get back to our time?”

“Trixie doesn’t know,” said the unicorn, “those things took her before Trixie could examine her, but yes, she definitely had some strange devices on her horn.” The details of her escape solidified in Trixie’s mind, reality separating from dreams. “Trixie has to go back for her,” she said, a determined gleam in her eyes, “nopony should be left to those things.”

“Least of all my sister,” said Argent, his eyes still closed. “We’ll leave for the border on the first train. I assume telling our contemporaries is out of the question?”

“I’m shocked Trixie would have risked revealing herself to herself,” said Twilight, unsurprised that Argent was awake, “but then again, I shouldn't be shocked by anything that mare does.” Twilight resigned herself to yet another trip. “I wish I could have a few weeks of peaceful study,” she said, “at this rate we’ll be wizened old ponies before I find us a way home.”

“If Trixie came here, it stands to reason that she knows how to get back,” said Argent, “maybe this is what we've been waiting for.” He jumped up from the couch and excitedly began looking for maps to plan their trip with.


“I suppose you’re feeling pretty proud of yourself,” said Twilight while waving goodbye to the train her parents were departing on. “Everypony just loves Argent. I’m just the silly lush who can’t handle her wine.”

“I can’t help it if your parents like me,” said Argent, “most marefriends would be ecstatic about that.”

Twilight blushed at his calling her his marefriend. “You could have at least taken some of the heat,” said the alicorn, “She’ll never let me live this down. At least the Princesses just teased me and called it a day; Daddy’s going to tell Shining, who is going to tell Cadance.”

“Ah, it’s not so bad,” said Argent, “just visit them in Canterlot like she suggested. It’ll be fun.”

“Yeah, ‘suggested’,” said Twilight, “you mark my words Defender; that was blackmail.” Twilight turned her head and looked at her passenger. “Spike, what’s next on today’s list?”

Spike popped the last candied sapphire into his mouth and savored the treat that Velvet always brought him when she visited. He licked his claws before unrolling the large parchment scroll Twilight had prepared that morning. “Flying lessons with Rainbow Dash,“ he said, “then a picnic with the girls, and study time for the rest of the day.”

“All right,” said Twilight, “hop off then, I want to be stretched out by the time we get there.”

The young dragon grumbled and climbed off Twilight’s back. He looked hopefully at Argent who snorted in amusement. “Yeah right,” said the stallion, “use your own two feet. I don’t know why she lets you get away with that.”

“Because I, as her number one assistant, must be free to take notes at any given moment,” recited Spike, “I can’t do that while walking.”

“No sale,” said Argent, “seat is occupied anyway.” He reached to his back and banged his shield with a hoof. He followed behind Twilight as she slowly and methodically extended and retracted her wings. “How much do you want to tell your friends?” he asked.

“Celestia help you if they ever find out what we did that night,” said Twilight menacingly.

“I meant about us,” said Argent.

Twilight blushed and slowed to let the stallion catch up to her. “I think showing will be enough,” she said while stretching a wing over his back and kissing his cheek. “Applejack already beat me to the punch as far as Equestria shattering personal news goes.”

She continued flexing her wings as they made their way to the outskirts of Ponyville. Spike lay atop Argent’s shield, a triumphant grin plastered onto his face. It had only taken a single “please, Argent” from Twilight to convince the stallion to take on his draconic passenger. “He would have just kept complaining anyway,” thought Argent as they approached Rainbow Dash’s practice meadow. Scootaloo’s scooter lay propped against the picnic table Twilight had teleported in prior to one of their previous sessions. The filly sat on one of the benches, head tilted up to the sky.

“Hello Scootaloo,” said Twilight, “I thought it was my day for lessons. Is Dash not here yet?”

“Look!” exclaimed Scootaloo with an outstretched hoof pointing to a high flat cirrus cloud. Twilight looked up in time to see two rapidly descending dots high in the sky. The cerulean and opal forms streaked towards the ground at a tremendous velocity with rainbow and lightning contrails following them. They began rotating about a common vertical axis while maintaining a constant distance between each other. A double helix of light and electricity took form and tightened as they rotated closer and closer together.

“They’re gonna do it!” shouted Scootaloo. Just as she said it, the opal Pegasus began to wobble before being flung out of the maneuver at high speed. The other Pegasus broke the formation and sped after, easily reaching her partner and steadying her with her legs. They descended towards the meadow and landed near the picnic table.

“That was so close!” exclaimed Scootaloo as she jogged to Rainbow Dash’s side, “You guys are going to do it soon, I just know it!”

Rainbow tousled the filly’s mane and smiled. “Of course we will,” she said confidently, “we’re awesome.” She reached over and hooked a foreleg around Lightning Dust’s neck. “It won’t be long before Dust here cracks the barrier. Any idea what you’re gonna call it? Lightning Boom doesn’t sound very cool.”

“Might as well call it the Lightning flash in the pan,” said the dejected Pegasus, “I just can’t figure out how you do it Dash.” She walked over to the picnic table and sat down next to Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash walked over and sat between them. “I told you, it’s not about wanting to break the barrier, you have to know why you want to break the barrier.” She slapped the pegasus’ back with a hoof and looked over at Twilight and Argent. “On time as usual,” she said, “LD and I were just getting some practice in while we waited.”

“I can see that,” said an awed Twilight, “very impressive flying Ms. Dust. Can I talk to you over here Dash?” She walked a short distance away and waited for Rainbow to appear next to her. “I don’t think Oracle’s secret would stay very safe if Scootaloo and Lightning Dust saw her wings.”

“Oh don’t worry,” said Dash, “She left a note in my mailbox this morning. They’re going on a short trip, something about visiting Horizon’s family.” She pointed over to Scootaloo and shrugged. “Scoots is out of school for the summer and the other crusaders are off doing something, so I invited her for some extra lessons.”

“And Lightning Dust?” asked Twilight with an impish grin, “fraternizing with the competition Dashie?”

“Dust is pretty cool,” said Dash as they walked back to the picnic table, “it turns out the sky can handle all the awesomeness we can throw at it. Plus she can help me teach you two: One more spotter can’t hurt, especially today.

“What are we doing today?” asked Twilight, “I thought we were doing pretty well with the gliding.”

“Oh you were,” said Rainbow, “but now it’s time to apply what you've learned.” She turned to the filly and smiled deviously. “Scootaloo,” she said, “you know what we’re doing today don’t you?”

“Free fall drills!” shouted the filly as she jumped to her hooves, “me first, me first!”

“LD, would you do the honors?” asked Dash. She poked Twilight in the side with a hoof and nodded to the two pegasi. “Pay attention,” she said, “because you’re next.”

Lightning Dust launched herself into the air and came back around. She aimed herself at the excited filly and grabbed her with her forelegs as she passed. She gradually ascended until they were in a stationary hover a few hundred feet above the ground. “Ready squirt?” asked Dust.

“Ready!” said the beaming filly. Lightning Dust pulled her hooves away and watched Scootaloo begin to fall for a few seconds before tucking her wings and following the filly in free fall. Gravity pulled steadily on the two pegasi, accelerating them quickly to near terminal velocity.

“Okay kid,” shouted Lightning Dust over the roar of rushing air, “deploy!” She angled her body and cleared the air above the filly. Scootaloo flared her little wings as far as they would go and immediately began shedding speed. The filly held her wings out and made minute adjustments to their camber and pitch to keep herself pointing in a steady direction. The vertical drop slowly turned into a very steep glide slope. Lighting Dust followed close behind the filly and hooped and hollered as Scootaloo maintained control of her descent. As the ground began to rapidly approach them, Lighting Dust scooped up the filly in her forelegs and brought her to a soft landing back near the picnic table.

“Did you see Rainbow Dash!” shouted Scootaloo gleefully, “I didn’t even spin once!”

“Somepony’s been working on her control surfaces,” said Rainbow Dash, full of pride, “Great job Scoots!” She held out her hoof. Scootaloo’s pupils dilated to pinpoints as she held out her own hoof and bumped it against Rainbow’s.

“You want me to do that!” shouted Twilight, “It’s insane; it’s irresponsible; it’s-“

“It’s how every Pegasus has learned to fly,” interrupted Lightning Dust, “though most of the time they’re younger than you.” She walked to the wary alicorn and smiled at her reassuringly. “There’s nothing to worry about princess,” she said, “Dash and I will both make sure you don’t take a dirt dive.”

“Yeah Twilight,” said Rainbow Dash, “You know I’m good at keeping my friends from going splat. I have had a bit of practice at it after all.” She looked at Dust and winked. The other Pegasus blushed and tried to keep reassuring the alicorn.

“You can do it Twilight,” said Argent, “and you can just teleport yourself to the ground if all else fails.”

“Am I the only sane mare left in Equestria?” she asked aloud, “Do you know the odds of successfully completing a teleport spell while compensating for the momentum involved in a terminal velocity fall?”

“No, but I’m sure you’re going to tell us,” said Spike while rolling his eyes.

Twilight squinted her eyes at the snide remark and turned around in a huff. “One in two hundred and fifty seven thousand,” she said, “if you factor in the wind.”

Argent held out his hoof to forestall the pegasi and dragon. He walked up beside Twilight and hugged her with a foreleg. “You wanted to learn how to fly,” he said warmly, “and this is how it’s done.”

“This is crazy!” she said, “I've seen what a scared pony in free fall can do. Rarity knocked out three Wonderbolts before Rainbow saved her!”

“Then it’s a good thing she’s the one watching over you,” replied Argent. “If you don’t try it, you won’t be able to use these,” he said while stroking her wing, “and I know you don’t want that.” He ignored the snickers from the picnic table and brought his muzzle to her ear. “I believe in you,” he whispered. Twilight dropped her head, stared at the ground, and nodded. “She’s all yours ladies,” said Argent as he backed away.

Twilight looked up in confusion just before four hooves grabbed her and began pulling her off the ground. “Wait,” she shouted, “I’m not ready yet! We have to practice. We have to make a plan.”

“Free fall drill is easy,” said Dust, “you fall; we grab you before you hit the ground.”

“Just try to glide Twilight,” said Rainbow Dash, “let gravity do the rest. The point of this is learning how to control a fall. That’s all flying is: Controlled falling.”

Twilight struggled as the ground fled beneath her. Argent and Spike became grey and purple dots by the time the two pegasi came to a hover high above the green meadow. “Let’s talk about this,” said Twilight, “there’s really no need to rush.”

“On three Twilight,” said Dash while nodding to Dust.

“Now wait Rainbow,” said Twilight, “think about what you’re doing. I’m a princess!”

“One,” said Dash.

“Jewels, bits, cakes!” wailed Twilight, “name your price!”

“Two,” said Lightning Dust.

“I’ll banish you both!” shouted Twilight, “I’ll banish you and throw you into a dungeon in the place I banished you to!”

“Three!” shouted the two pegasi in unison. They released Twilight and high hooved each other as the screaming princess began plummeting. They each tucked their wings and fell backwards towards the ground.

Twilight’s legs flailed as she screamed from the top of her lungs. “Catch me, catch me, catch me!” she yelled as the she span wildly, “I changed my mind, the ground is fine! I love the ground!”

Lightning Dust maneuvered herself next to the spinning alicorn and smiled. “Now would be a good time to use your wings, princess,” she shouted.

Rainbow Dash angled herself to the other side of Twilight. “Just like before Twi,” she yelled, “just let your wings do the work!”

Twilight stopped herself from screaming herself hoarse and extended her wings as far as she could. They immediately filled with air and slowed her down considerably, leaving the two pegasi below her. She tried angling her wings to arrest her spin, succeeding only in turning the flat spin into a vertical one. The sun flashed into her eyes each time she came around. She pitched her wings up and slowly brought the spinning world to a blissful stop. She sighed in relief as the horizon stayed in the middle of her field of vision, until she realized that she was upside down. Before she could start screaming again, hooves grabbed her fore and rear legs and began gently lowering the alicorn to the ground.

Twilight’s chest was heaving as she was set down on her back. She stared into the sky in a near catatonic state. Argent’s head appeared above her. “That went great!” he said excitedly, “see, there was nothing to worry about.” Twilight continued staring blankly into the sky.

“Alright Scoots,” said Rainbow Dash, “you’re up again. Take a breather Twi. You go again in a few minutes.”


“It wasn’t that bad Twi,” said Rainbow Dash, “even I spun out during my first free fall. You didn't even lose your lunch, that’s way better than most pegasi.”

“How could she lose her lunch,” asked Pinkie Pie, “it’s right here.” She swept her hoof over the checkered blanket full of food and drink.

“Riiiiight,” said Dash, “Really though, on that last drop you barely span at all. You’re starting to get the feel for it.” She grabbed a cupcake and chomped down before falling to her back. “Give us another month or two and you’ll be flying like a pro.”

“She’s right,” said Lightning Dust, “we’ll have you flying better than any of the other princesses. They barely know enough to keep themselves aloft.” She polished an apple on her coat before taking a big bite. “Thanks for the grub you guys,” she said, “flying really works up an appetite.”

“Think nothing of it darling,” said Rarity, “we always bring too much food these days, what with Applejack eating anything put in front of her.”

“Well excuse me,” said Applejack between bites of a triple-decker apple and onion sandwich, “Ah’m eating for two over here.”

“If you call that eating,” said Spike.

“Be nice,” said Fluttershy, “Applejack can eat whatever she wants.”

Twilight sighed and tried a bite of the fruit salad Argent placed in front of her. The morning of spinning terror had left her nursing a sour stomach. “I haven’t had a stomachache like this since…oh right, a couple of days ago,” she thought to herself. She smiled weakly to Argent and ate sparingly. She listened as her friends chatted back and forth. Argent sat next to her and held her hoof in his. Oblivious to the company, she turned to him and kissed his cheek.

“Twilight?” asked Rarity, her amusement barely contained, “is there something you’d like to share with us?”

Twilight drank deeply from a teacup before setting it down with her magic. The attentions of her smiling friends never wavered from the two ponies sitting side by side. “Well,” she said, “Argent and I…” She looked at him and blushed. “That is to say, we decided…”

“Ugh,” gagged Spike, his claw pointed into his open mouth, “they’re smooching each other. A lot.”

“Spike!” shouted Rarity, “must you ruin every moment of sentiment. Twilight you were saying?”

“He’s pretty much spot on,” said Argent. He looked between the frowning faces of Rarity and Twilight and raised his hooves. “What?” he asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes and leaned against the stallion. “We’re seeing each other,” she said.

“I’m seeing you both too!” said Pinkie Pie.

“No Pinkie,” said Twilight, “we’re together.”

“Well you better be,” said Pinkie, “Argent would be a pretty bad bodyguard if he wasn't with you.”

“I’m telling you that we’re in love!” shouted Twilight. The words echoed across the open field.

“Well duh,” said Pinkie, “You’d have to be a super duper, head in the clouds, hay-brain not to know that. I mean you would have to be blind and deaf not to see it. A mole with earplugs wouldn't have missed the signals you two were sending.”

“Well said Pinkie,” said Rarity, “I for one am so excited for you both.” She stepped in front of the two ponies and hugged each. She stepped back and grinned at them. “Now I have to be getting back to the shop,” she said, “twenty Istallion tailored vests won’t sew themselves together. You don’t mind if I borrow Spike do you? I really need the help, and he’s ever so useful.” Twilight rolled her eyes and nodded her assent as the young dragon shook with excitement.

“That’s so wonderful Twilight,” said Fluttershy, “it’s so nice to be with somepony you love.” She looked back to Applejack and helped the pregnant mare to her hooves. “We should get you back to the farm,” said the shy Pegasus, “Soarin and your brother will worry if you’re late.”

Applejack sighed in frustration. “Fine,” she said while walking up to Twilight and Argent. “Congratulations ya’ll, but do yourselves a favor: Be careful.” She patted her stomach and joined Fluttershy in packing the basket they had brought.

“So he’s your coltfriend huh,” said Rainbow Dash before shrugging, “that’s cool. As long as he keeps you happy and coming to practice that is.” She looked around to make sure nopony was watching before darting in and hugging Twilight. “Come on LD, back to work.” Two contrails of light and crackling electricity signaled their departure.

“I guess that’s our cue to head home,” said Twilight, “You better get going if you want to catch up with Rarity, Spike.” The drake sped off, leaving a Spike shaped cloud of dust in his wake. “Alone at last,” said Twilight, “should we take the scenic route home?” She looked to her side when the stallion didn't answer. “Argent,” she asked, “is everything alright?”

“You… you love me too?” he asked incredulously.

Twilight giggled and wrapped his midsection with her forelegs. “I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it,” she said, “I certainly wouldn't have said the things I did to the Princess if I weren't sure of it.”

“I love you too,” said Argent quickly, “I don’t know why I didn't say so earlier.”

“Better late than never,” said Twilight. She pushed him down onto the checkered blanket and fell onto her back next to him. “I know it’s only been a short time,” said Twilight, “but I think it says a lot that I’d rather lie down here with you and watch the clouds float by than go back to the library and study.”

Argent smiled and kissed her deeply before levitating his saddle bags next to them. “I guess it’s a good thing that I brought these,” he said, pulling out a trio of thick tomes, parchment, and a bottle of ink, “there’s no reason you can’t do both.”

Twilight pulled the supplies into her magic aura and stacked them neatly on Argent’s upturned shield. “Maybe in a little while,” she said while scooting over so that their sides touched, “okay, definitely in a little while. Let’s just stay like this for now.” She tilted her head against his and closed her eyes.


“She fixed her magic after a fashion,” said Argent. He pulled the small cart they had found abandoned on the side of the road, its contents completely untouched. The low desert scrub provided little in the way of shade, but a stiff breeze from the north kept the sun baked land pleasantly cool for once. “I don’t know the exact details,” said Argent, “but she was tinkering for years to perfect that thing on her horn. She said it suppressed the surges of magic that she suffered.”

“It’s a bi-lateral magic diffuser with an artificial collection matrix,” said Twilight, “a brute force method at best.”

“Trixie understands that things were different in your past,” said Trixie, “but why would Trixie not seek help. Trixie may be a bit prideful, but she isn’t above asking for help when she really needs it.”

“A bit prideful?” scoffed Twilight, “the Great and Powerful Trixie is the absolute definition of modesty.”

“Twilight and our Trixie aren't exactly friendly,” explained Argent, “in case you can’t detect Twilight’s subtle sarcasm.”

“She stole my spellbook!” growled Twilight, “and don’t tell me you forgot what she did on your birthday.”

“She gave it back,” said Argent, “and your mane grew back eventually. She proved that Alicorn mane is a perfect magical insulator.”

“Whatever,” grumbled Twilight, “whenever she’s around, my life gets turned upside down. Do you recognize anything yet Trixie?”

Trixie looked at the surrounding countryside and shrugged. “Trixie doesn't see anything particularly memorable,” she said, “Remember that Trixie wasn't exactly in her right mind when she escaped.” She raised her muzzle to the air and inhaled deeply. “It doesn't smell wrong yet,” she said, “let’s keep heading this way.” She pointed towards the hazy, shimmering sunset.

The long shadows of giant cacti stretched across the barely visible dirt road. Determined as they were to find some clue of Trixie’s abductors, the three ponies overlooked the fact that the shadows pointed in the wrong direction.


“Who’s mommy’s happy little filly!” cooed Twilight. She raised the squirming foal in front of her and nuzzled its face with hers. “Let’s go see if daddy’s home yet,” she said to the gurgling foal, “it’s time to take you on your walk.” She carried her daughter into the library common room, humming to herself in delight. ”Everything is just perfect,” she thought to herself, “I have the best friends, the best husband, and the cutest little filly in all of Equestria.”

She strolled into the kitchen in time to see Argent drop two bulging bags of produce on the table. “How are my princesses,” he said warmly upon seeing his wife, “you two crack any mystical, magic conundrums yet?”

“Only the mystery of ‘What’s in the Diaper,’” said Twilight, “and while it certainly reeks of some nether realm of madness, it is far less interesting.”

Argent tickled the foal under the chin, receiving a sweet giggle for his troubles. “Aww,” he said, “is my little Corona Gleam boring her mommy? Don’t worry kiddo, I can’t understand half the stuff she says either.” He deftly avoided the playful shove from Twilight and levitated the groceries into their places in the pantry. “The mail train hasn’t arrived from Canterlot yet,” he said in annoyance, “Shining said the dossiers for potential recruits would be here by now.”

“I’m sure it’ll be here soon,” replied Twilight, “I need to attune a dragon lantern to Cady. It would make things like this so much easier.” She sat on a chair at the kitchen table and cradled the foal in her forelegs. “She says she wants to see the foal pictures while Corona is still a foal.”

“Tell you what,” said Argent, “I’ll have Lieutenant Dauntless watch the library next week and we’ll head over to the empire for a visit.” He picked up the orange coated filly and held her into the air. “Do you wanna go see Auntie Cady and Uncle Shiney?” he asked in a cutesy voice. The filly squealed in excitement, drooling on her father’s hooves.

“That sounds great,” said Twilight, “we can surprise them!” She pulled the filly from Argent’s hooves with her magic and placed her in the fancy gold filigreed stroller Rarity had given them at the foalshower. “It’s time for walkies!” she said happily, “and Auntie Pinkie promised Corona a carrot puree cupcake.” She grabbed Argent by the hoof and used her magic to push the stroller out the back door. They walked into the crisp fall day, hooves crunching on the red and yellow leaves that had fallen from their tree home. They crossed the plaza, waving at the many friends and well wishers they passed along the way.

The whistle of a train whistle pierced the peaceful day. “Sounds like that train finally made it,” said Twilight. She bent over the stroller and smiled at her daughter. “What sound does the train make Corrie?” she asked. The filly gurgled unintelligibly. “That’s right!” cooed Twilight, “the train goes choo choo!”

Argent chuckled at and took over pushing the stroller. “I won’t get my hopes up on getting that mail,” he said, “our mailponies get the job done, but they aren’t exactly the model of efficiency.”

“Fine by me,” said Twilight, “that’s more time you get to spend with us instead of reading through dry personnel reports.” She kissed him on the cheek and smiled suggestively. “And who knows,” she said, “maybe Corona will go to bed early tonight.” She winked at him and walked up the steps to Sugar Cube Corner, while Argent wheeled the stroller up the ramp.

“Hello Princess,” said the emotionless filly who sat behind the counter, “are you here to see mother?”

“Hello Savory!” said Twilight, “how’s my favorite book club president doing today?”

“Quite well your majesty,” said the filly, “I finished Mareodetus’ History of Unicornia last night. It may be a bit dry for the book club, but I found it fascinating. The stratification of their society was quite severe.”

“Well you have to remember that they were utterly dependent on the food from the earth ponies,” said Twilight, “Those unicorns with the magical affinity for changing the seasons would naturally dominate any social structure. The play doesn’t mention it, but Princess Platinum alone kept the long winter at bay for several years before the Wendigos overwhelmed even her magical ability.”

“Hoof ache, tail twitch, back shiver!” shouted Pinkie from the bakery kitchen, “Something boring’s happening!” She bounced through the saloon doors and picked up her daughter with a snort of laughter. “Hi Twilight!” she said while squeezing her dour daughter, “are you bringing Savi more books?”

“Not today,” said Twilight, “We’re out on a walk with Corona.” Argent pushed the stroller through the front door and waved to the mares.

Pinkie Pie dropped Savory and disappeared into the kitchen. In a fraction of a second the pink blur returned bearing an orange cupcake on a tray. She hopped around the sales counter and leaned into the stroller. “Auntie Pinkie has a present for you Corrie!” said the pink mare, “my all natural, foal tested and foal approved carrot cupcake with carrot puree center!” The foal reached up and grabbed the fragrant treat, ruthlessly and messily devouring it in a flurry of orange crumbs and sticky orange goop. Pinkie pulled out a camera and took a picture of the carnage. She reached in front of the camera and handed the photo to Twilight. “Everypony should have their ‘Foal’s First Cupcake’ picture!” she said excitedly.

Twilight laughed at the state of her daughter. She pulled a napkin from the stroller’s storage bag and began wiping her tiny muzzle. “Thanks Pinkie,” said Twilight, “it looks like Corona has a sweet tooth.“
The blare of Ponyville’s warning sirens were deafening, even through the sturdy walls of Sugar Cube Corner. Corona began crying as Twilight held her hooves to her tiny ears. “What’s happening,” she shouted.

Argent ran to the door and peeked out into the plaza. Crowds of terrified ponies fled across the open square from the direction of the train station. “Stay here,” he said before disappearing out the door.

Twilight raised a sound proof barrier around the room and tried her best to calm her daughter. “I’m sure it’s nothing sweetie,” said Twilight, “daddy’s going to be right back.” Pinkie and Savory stood together next to the stroller, the filly hugging her mother’s foreleg tightly. Tense minutes passed before Twilight peeked out the window. The remains of a newspaper blew across the plaza, but not a single pony was in sight.

The door flew open, making Twilight gasp in surprise. “Oh thank goodness,” said the stallion that charged through. He ran over to Pinkie and Savory and wrapped the two mares in his forelegs. “Come on,” he said, “we need to get into the cellar.”

“Braeburn,” said Twilight, “what’s going on out there? Did you see Argent?”

“Princess,” he said while pulling up the large hidden door behind the counter, “I have no idea. I was with the Mayor, organizing the running of the leaves, when the sirens started. Somepony said that something happened with the train and that everypony should hide.” He flipped the switch by the wall of the cellar stairs and flooded the basement with light. “Bring Corona down here with us,” he said, “we have plenty of room.”

“Pinkie, can you watch her?” asked Twilight, “I need to find Argent.”

Pinkie saluted and grabbed the foal from the stroller. “Be careful Twilight,” she said, “and come back as soon as you find him.”

Twilight nodded and kissed her daughter’s forehead before dashing out into the plaza. Knowing that Argent and his Harmony Guard would have immediately run towards any danger, she made her way to the train station. She pulled enough raw energy into horn to deal with any threat she could imagine. Glad that everypony seemed to have cleared the plaza, she made quick time to the gates of the train depot. The mail train sat motionless on the tracks, its cargo car doors wide open. She moved to investigate but stopped when she saw the silver coated form of her husband standing in front of one of the open cars.

She flared her horn and teleported the short distance and appeared behind him. “Argent,” she said, “is everything okay?”

“Alicorn,” said a rasping voice from inside the train car.

“No,” whispered Twilight, “It can’t be. We destroyed you.”

The tattered remains of a pony stepped to the edge of the cargo doors. The rotted remnants of its thin hide was riddled with tears and holes and hung loosely on a very visible skeletal frame. A malevolent red glow emanated from somewhere behind the beast’s empty eye sockets. “Bring me her blood thrall,” croaked the lich.

Argent turned to face her, his eyes solid pools of blackness. Without hesitation he leapt on top of Twilight carrying her to the ground. He brought his hooves to her throat and squeezed painfully. Years spent wielding heavy shields had left him with an iron grasp.

Twilight flared her horn and prepared to throw him from her when a black ray of energy struck her. The magical aura around her horn dissipated, and her magic slipped from her control. She brought her hooves to her throat and futilely tried to pry away Argent’s. His emotionless black eyes stared into her panic filled violet eyes while her limbs flailed wildly.

Black spots danced across Twilight’s vision, and each painful attempt at breathing drew tears from her eyes. As her last moments of consciousness faded to black, she worked her lips and mouthed, “I love you.”


Twilight woke and gasped for breath while sitting up in the soft bed. She brought her hooves to her throat and drank deeply from the sweet night air. She looked around at the luxuriously appointed bedroom and sighed in relief. “It was so real,” she thought to herself.

“Everything alright love?” asked Argent from beside her, “It’s a little early for morning sickness.”

Twilight fell back into the mattress and ran her hooves over her bulging stomach. “Just a bad dream,” she said, “just a very, very bad dream.”

Four unseen red eyes watched from the corner of the dark bedroom.

Author's Note:

"Trixie freed Trixie," said Trixie.

That sentence has reached maximum Trixie.

We're getting there. I don't think there will be more than a handful of chapters.