• Published 25th May 2013
  • 1,646 Views, 75 Comments

Dragon Quest VIII; The Adventure of Eight - Roarin Thunder



After supposedly defeating Rhapthorne The Lord of Darkness, our hero, Eight has been taken away to a new world. With a whole new world to explore and a possible threat looming on the air, how will Eight take this new quest?

  • ...
18
 75
 1,646

The Beginning of a New Quest!

'Wake Up!'

Slowly, my eyes opened as warm sunlight bathed down onto my face. I looked around as my eyes adjusted to the light inside the room. I saw a door on the other side of the room and a stained glass window to the right.

I looked at the glass and saw what appeared to be two horses going around half the sun and half the moon 'That's strange... Those things must be like gods.... But... I thought the Goddess was the only one besides the Godbird to exist....' I looked up and the ceiling looked to have painted murals of smaller pony looking creatures among other things painted around them.

'Two big horses? Small ponies? That's strange...' I thought to myself as I moved my arm around and a twinged of pain hit me 'Oww... What's going on?'.

I slowly got up in the bed as the blankets fell down my chest. I noticed there was a heavy amount of bandages around my midsection 'Feels like I broke several ribs. I'll have to see if I have any magic left to heal myself later....' I thought to myself as continued to look around the room I was in.

I continued to try and spot any other details to point out where I was, but there was nothing to give me any hint 'I wonder how I even got her-' suddenly I was hit with everything that had happened the day before and I whited out.

~A Flashback to the Battle of the Gods~

A dark cloud had spread over the entire coast. It emanated from a single point, The Lord of Darkness, Rhapthorne! Rhapthorne looked upon the planet “My world to rule, My world to subjugate, The age of darkness shall begin once I rid the world of those four hapless fools who dare challenged my rule!”

An agent sent out by Rhapthorne had returned to The Lord of Darkness “Sir! The Hero and his Friends are incoming upon the Godbird herself! We must ready the forces! They may have destroyed the castle, but we still have the power to kill them!”

“Do not bother, they can hear us! I will do battle myself! I will make them rue the day they decided to fight against my return!” Rhapthorne rumbled out in confidence as his minion left him alone to prepare for the greatest battle the world would ever know.

In seconds a light filled the dark area as the Godbird, Empyrea made herself known. Upon her back stood four Hero's armed for the battle of a century.

“It's all over Rhapthorne! For what you've done to my home, King Trode, and Medea, There is nothing to forgive! Death will be your only comfort!” I told Rhapthorne as he smiled gleefully.

Yangus, who stood beside Eight pulled out his scythe and swung it around “Oi! The Guv and Grandad over ere are one of the reasons why I'm on the right track! I'll follow them to the ends of the world if this is the only thing I can do to pay them back for all of their help! It's time to for you to taste the edge of this ere scythe! Come and get it!” Yangus yelled up at the beast.

Next to Yangus stood Jessica who had lost her brother due to Rhapthorne's will to kill the bloodlines which had imprisoned him for a millennium.

“Rhapthorne, you will pay for everything that you've done to my family! For Alastor!” Jessica yelled as she pulled out the Dragon Tail Whip and Saint Shield she carried for added defense.

Finally, next to Jessica stood the Templar, Angelo “I saved my brother from you, though I'm not sure what side he will choose, I hope that he will change into a better person so that all the world can benefit from his choices! Now it's time to finish this!” he pulled out his Mercury Rapier and swung it in a circle before summoning a grand amount of lightning from the sky signaling the beginning of the final battle!

Rhapthorne deflected the lightning with a magical shield only for him to be attacked by Jessica who brandished the Dragon Tail Whip with fury. Rhapthorne was struck many times, but he recovered and waved his staff in the air to summon meteors upon Empyrea.

Empyrea dodged them with grace, yet she had miscalculated the wind and got hit on one of her left foot “Arggh!” She cawed as she continued to fly back toward Rhapthorne.

Yangus was the next one to attack “I got me somefin for ya! BIG BANGA!” He charged magic into his hand. A blue sphere appeared in his hand “This is all for you, Rhapthorne!” He then threw the ball at Rhapthorne who got inside a huge explosion.

“Take cover!” Yangus yelled to his friends. We all got down as the explosion flew outward and Empyrea summoned her own shield to her aid. The attack ended in a giant mushroom cloud that towered above Rhapthorne.

“That has to be it!” Yangus yelled as the cloud of smoke disappeared. Rhapthorne was still very much alive after that hit “No way! I wasted all of my magic in that!” Yangus yelled in disbelief as Rhapthorne smiled.

“Never waste your most powerful attacks when you haven't weakened me yet.” Rhapthorne laughed at them.

Jessica looked up at the towering creature from her place on Empyrea's back “I've had it!” She seemed to have a massive aura built around her. The aura was violet and pulsed all around her. Her hair flew around in the distinct aura.

“I'll show you whose magic will break you Rhapthorne!” Jessica then unleashed all of her magic in one unrestrained burst at her maximum level. The attack was huge and bright. It seemed to take the form of a white light as Rhapthorne felt it swallow him whole.

“RARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!” Rhapthorne roared in pain as the attack seared into his flesh.

The light began to clear all around the area. The only two things left in the area were us and Rhapthorne. Rhapthorne seemed to be looking around in disbelief “Where are my minions?!”

Jessica had heard him, but she had drained all of her power into that attack and could not respond to the monster. Angelo looked at me and said “Eight, I'll give it a shot now. You need to raise your tension while I do this attack.” Angelo finished as he sheathed his Rapier and then took a different weapon off his back.

I nodded and began to charge up the necessary tension that would hopefully finish off Rhapthorne if it was needed. Yangus looked over at me and said “I'll stop anything that comes your way!” he pulled his scythe out and prepared for any coming attacks that would stop me from bringing up my tension.

“You fools! I will kill all of you if it's the last thing I do! Then when Empyrea has no defense, I'll slice her wings off and force her to walk the planet forever!” Rhapthorne roared as he sent meteors once more upon the group that was left.

“Lightning Multi Needle Shot!” Angelo exclaimed as he began to fire multiple arrows of lightning at Rhapthorne.

Yangus cut through multiple meteors and even managed to decimate several meteors with his Wind Sickles attack “Oi Guv! You almost ready back there?!”

I was closing in on maxing out my tension and my aura was powering up, but it still wasn't ready “Not yet! I'm at 50 times, so it won't be long!” I told Yangus quickly.

“That's good! I can't keep up this for much longer!” Yangus yelled back as he continued to cut through wave after wave of attacks being rained down by Rhapthorne.

“Damn your arrows!” Rhapthorne roared as he began to try a different tactic “How about Kaboom?!” Rhapthorne snapped his fingers and explosions began to appear out of nowhere.

Angelo got caught in the smoke of one of the explosions and fell off of Empyrea's back “Ahhhhhh!” he yelled as he fell to the ground.

Empyrea looked down as she said “Hold on tight!” With that she began to make a fast descent toward the falling Angelo. She managed to get underneath Angelo and I reached up to catch Angelo and pulled him onto Empyrea's back.

“Thank-you Eight.” Angelo thanked me.

“No problem! Empyrea let's get back up there!” I told her to which she complied by turning back towards Rhapthorne.

At once Angelo fell to the his knees on the back of Empyrea. He gripped his left shoulder and cursed openly “Dammit! He got my shoulder! Without this arm, I can't fire arrows!”

Yangus looked at Angelo with determination “I'll give the Guv the time he needs! I think that I've got enough in me for one more Big Banga!” Yangus stood up and walked to a more open spot on Empyrea's back.

Yangus powered up the same energy that he had last time, but it seemed weaker “Oi! Rhapthorne! I got one last attack before the Guv beats you and I fink your gonna like it!” The energy in his hand got a bit bigger “Big Banga!” he then threw the ball of energy towards Rhapthorne.

Rhapthorne made a shield and the attack hit it and exploded harmlessly off the side of the shield “Looks like you didn't have enough magic to fuel that strike! I must be pretty lucky that you're not capable of using that attack at full strength twice! Now you shall feel the almighty power of fire raining from the heavens!” Rhapthorne summoned fire from the skies and Empyrea started to speed up her flying so she could dodge the incoming balls of fire.

Jessica had finally regained herself and looked towards me “Eight's ready to fight, he's reached maximum tension!”

Indeed, I had reached my maximum power. Violet energy coursed around me as I looked up at Rhapthorne “I'll finish him! You all did great!” I told them.

Yangus looked at me and said “Don't do anything to crazy, alright Guv?”

“Empyrea!? Can your bring me in closer?!” I asked Empyrea to which she nodded.

“Get ready!” she told us as she flapped her wings and flew towards Rhapthorne while continuing to dodge any of his attacks and getting me closer to my goal.

Rhapthorne summoned another shield, but it seemed to be far weaker than the other because blasted straight through “What?!” the shield shattered and now I closed in on the kill.

I grasped the hilt of my Dragovian Sword and took a second to enjoy the wind against my face 'This is it!' I looked onward in anger as my aura exploded around me as Empyrea finally got in place.

“Rhapthorne is at his most vulnerable at this moment!” said Empyrea as she flapped her wings while also maintaining the magic hold she had that kept the heroes from falling off her expanded wings as she flapped them.

'I have to give it all I've got right now!!' I thought as Rhapthorne looked down at me with a gleeful smile on his face.

“You may have destroyed my shield, but if you think that you're ever going to destroy me then you're dead wrong!” Rhapthorne roared as I looked up at him.

'One move left! It involves a lot more risk than I ever wanted, but I have to do this!' I thought as Empyrea's voice found it's way into my head.

'I know you are planning something, what is it?' she asked me.

'I'm going to use the move called “Dragon Soul” and I need you to leave once I jump off your back! I have no idea what's going to happen when this hits him!' I told her quickly.

'I trust that you've already thought of the consequences, right Eight?' she said to me.

'I have! If I don't make it out, tell them I'll miss them all' I told her as she gave me her final thought.

'I will and good luck!' Empyrea said as she focused on waiting for the command.

I turned back to look at my friends one last time 'Yangus, Jessica, and Angelo, I'll see you again someday!' With that my body began to glow and electricity sparked around me.

I jumped off Empyrea's back and an aura appeared around me as I charged forward towards Rhapthorne.

Rhapthorne sent huge amounts of elemental fire at me, but I went through them all. The electricity burst outward around me and turned into a dragon.

“DRAGON SOUL!” I yelled as flashed forward and burst into Rhapthorne.

An explosion of energy ripped through the air as I blacked out.

~Memory Over~

I tried to look further into my memory, but then I heard a click followed by a door opening on the other side of the room. What I saw completely caught me off guard 'Is that a pony?' I thought to myself as the mentioned pony made her way across the room and ended up beside my bed.

“Ah! You're finally awake!” She said enthusiastically.

“...” I didn't have much to say to that 'A pony just talked to me, what in the world is up with my head?' I finished that thought quickly as she began to talk again.

“Can you tell me your name?” she asked me.

I began to make arm gestures that suggested I was talking, but she only looked confused when I stopped.

“Can you talk?” She asked me and I nodded to her.

“Then could you tell me your name without waving your arms around preferably?” She asked me as she put a stethoscope onto where my heart was.

“Uh.. My name is Eight.” I told her.

She nodded and said “Your heartbeat is steady Eight, I expect you'll recover quite fast! Oh! And my name is Heart Stamp, but you can call me Heart for short!” She finished with a smile.

“Thanks.... Heart.” I said to her as she started writing something on a piece of paper.

“I'll send in the princess's now that you're awake, they were worried when they found you like you were.” She told me as she left the room.

'Princess's? Like Medea? Are those ponies too?' I questioned myself as the door opened once more. This time a large white pony and large blue pony walked through. They shut the door behind them and then looked at me as I sat upon the bed.

The white pony looked at me and smiled “We just heard that you've woken up, How are you feeling?” She asked me.

“I'm doing just fine, Princess?” I asked her.

“I'm Princess Celestia, but you can call me Celestia if you want.” She told me quickly.

I looked over at the other pony and she looked at him as well “We are Princess Luna! Tis a delight to meet you Eight!” She said enthusiastically.

I looked at them both and tried to make sense of the situation 'Talking ponies, Big ponies rule the land, and how does this make any sense?' I lifted my arm and pinched myself just to make sure I wasn't dreaming 'Nope, not a dream.'

I looked back up at them and asked the next thing that popped into my mind “Where is my armor and sword at?” I asked them as they uneasy at the mention of that.

“We took thy weapons as we are not sure if you are to be trusted with such weapons.” Said Princess Luna as I looked at her.

Celestia then took over the conversation “I took the liberty of making sure they were cleaned and taken care of, I promise you will receive them back once we are sure of your intentions.” She said to me.

“I guess that's alright.... What can I do to prove to you that I'm not a threat?” I asked her.

“I suppose you could rest and heal up, that would be a start.” Celestia said to me with a smile.

“That shouldn't be too difficult...” I looked over to Luna “What can I do on your behalf?” I asked her.

“We require nothing from you.” Luna then turned to Celestia “We shall be off to see to it that the Royal Guard hath not been lazing away this day and to be on high alert for any suspicious activity. We suspect that the portal may have brought more than just this creature with it.” Luna said as she turned to leave.

At the mention of a portal my mind began to run 'Something else came through? Could it be? Rhapthorne?' I shook my head as the thoughts floated away at the sound of a door shutting.

Celestia watched Luna go through the door and then she turned to me “As I have said, please rest up and we'll talk about giving you your weapons soon enough.” With that, Celestia left me alone.

Within minutes, my boredom had increased steadily. I had nothing to keep my attention and of course, nobody, or should it be nopony to speak with 'I'm so bored...' I thought to myself once more as I checked around the room again.

'Are they going to watch me at all? For ponies that don't trust me, they're really trusting....' The more I thought about it. The more it didn't make any sense.

'Maybe this is test! Just like when I trained to fight in the Knights Academy... I wonder if I can use magic still... Do I have enough Magic Power? I guess it's time for my own test!' I began to reach into my mind, calling for a spell that could help me out of my situation.

'FullHeal!' I thought to myself as my body began to glow in a bright blue light. The energy seemed to continually reach outward around me.

I realized in that moment one thing 'This is definitely different from back home!' and that's when the light swallowed me up.

~Outside the Castle~

The light seemed to stretch further and further out the window. It caught the attention of Luna and the Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor.

“Permission to speak Princess?” Shining Armor asked Luna.

“Of course Captain Shining Armor.” she said as she continued to stare at the light.

“What is that light?” Shining asked Luna.

“I'm not sure, but it seems that the creature we found this morning is the source of the light and that means that I'm off to see what he's doing! Shining Armor!” Luna yelled as the Captain nodded quickly “Lend me some of your guard, just in case something dangerous is happening!”

Shining Armor got two other pegasi guards and then brought himself forward “I'll go as well for added protection!” Luna nodded to him.

“Then we are off!” With that, Luna and her accompanying Guards went off towards the room that held Eight inside.

~Inside Eight's Room~

'Oh man... I feel tired after that and I used to never have trouble casting that... Is that part of this universe?' I questioned myself as I heard a lot of clopping coming towards my door.

Suddenly the door slammed open and the first thing I saw was Luna “EIGHT WHAT ARE THOU DOING INSIDE THY ROOM?!”

I covered my ears and yelled “OWWWW! What the heck was that for?!” I yelled back at Luna.

“We assumed something was going on inside thy room! So we rushed up hear to find out what was happening! Also, that was the Royal Canterlot Voice! It is tradition that we used this voice in the chase against villainy everywhere!” Luna told me as I continued holding my ears.

“Well, please don't do that! That really hurt!” I yelled back at her.

“We are sorry for hurting thy ears, but we must know what just happened in here! There was a strange light and then it was was gone as soon we got here!” Luna told me quickly.

“That was me.” I told her quickly.

Another pony came from behind Luna and looked to be wearing armor and his fur was all white.

“Let me check for spell signatures, I believe he or someone used magic in this room.” Shining then turned to Luna “What was his condition when you left after discovering him?” he asked Luna.

“He had multiple broken bones and lots of damage to other areas of his body.” Luna answered quickly with precision.

The white pony nodded and the activated his horn. It shined a bright blue as he began to pass it over my body. He continued doing this for a few minutes until he finally stopped. His face was in disbelief as he stared at me “You're completely healed and it wasn't by any Unicorn, or Changeling for that matter! Did you do this to yourself?” he asked me.

“Yeah, I can do all kinds of spells. Is that a bad thing?” I asked him to which he shook his head quickly.

“That's not bad at all! It's incredible! I don't know many unicorns that can do that, yet you did this on your own!” he stopped and then asked me another thing “What's your name?”

“I'm Eight! What's your name?” I asked him to which he smiled.

“I'm Shining Armor! Captain of the Royal Guard!” Shining said proudly.

“That's something! I'm also a Royal Guard Captain! At least, I used to be....” I trailed off as I thought about my friends 'I gotta get back there.... Somehow...' I finished as I refocused my attention on the conversation happening in front of me.

“-e are going to talk to our Sister about this sudden development, we may need to monitor Eight far more closely than we thought” Luna said to Shining Armor.

Shining Armor nodded and then another sound was heard as it got closer. Two sets of clopping hooves had come towards the door. It was Celestia and Heart Stamp.

“What is it you wanted to talk about Sister?” Celestia asked Luna who’s mouth dropped instantly.

“I thought you were holding the Sun Court until 5:00!” Luna exclaimed as Celestia just kept up her little smile.

“I was able to end the Sun Court early due to the fact that there wasn't nearly as many ponies there today, which is in fact a blessing!” she said with undisguised happiness, then she continued “The nobles weren't as boisterous as they usually were.” Celestia finished with a satisfied smile.

“That's unusual, usually they're backstabbing, cheating, and in general being annoying thorns in the flanks.” Luna said to Celestia whom laughed a bit.

“Well, today I was lucky! Now what were you wanting to talk about Luna?” Celestia asked her Sister.

“Ah yes, We have some news! Eight has demonstrated magical talent!” Luna said to Celestia.

“Really? Is this true Eight?” Celestia asked me.

“It's not that big a deal...” I said in rebuttal.

“I would say that it's actually a huge deal! From what I can see, I believe you healed yourself Eight!” Celestia said with an earnest grin.

“Sister, how would know that?! We haven't told you yet!” Luna exclaimed to Celestia.

“I can tell when someone has healed themselves from there movements, Eight has been moving a lot faster than when we were here earlier and therefore, he has to be feeling better which leads to the fact that he healed himself! Or somepony else healed him, but that's impossible in itself, so I would rather go with my first guess.” Celestia said to Luna.

“So what does that have to do with me Celestia?” I asked her to which she smiled once more.

“I have a request of you, Though I didn't want to ask because I had my reasons, but there seems to be a small conflict happening near the border of one of my cities known as Los Pegasus.” Celestia said to me.

“And you're requesting me to do what?” I asked her.

“I was hoping to test your merit and allow you your weapons back in exchange for helping me stop this small problem.” she expected me to say something, but I didn't, so she continued “I was going to wait for you to heal, but you seem fine now. So what do you say?” she asked me.

I thought about it for a second 'I get to leave a castle to deal with a small conflict almost immediately after falling into this world? I'll also get my weapons back! But is it worth the risk? I can hardly cast a powerful spell without getting tired.... But I can prove myself to her at the same time! There's never a bad time to gain another creatures trust!' I halted my thoughts and then looked at Celestia.

“I'll do it!”

~End of Chapter 1~

Author's Note:

This chapter was done in First-Person, but the rest of the chapters to come will change to Third-Person. Tell me if you think I should continue this story!

Also, the characters mentioned in the flashback will be noted later on for all who have never played this game ---> Dragon Quest 8; Journey of the Cursed King <--- It's really good!