• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 2,558 Views, 84 Comments

ButterflyCakes II: Kindness and Laughter - FlameingToast



Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie begin their realationship as marefriend's. What could go wrong?

  • ...
2
 84
 2,558

Back Home

Pebbleston was a small town, a lot like Ponyville. The earth was dusty and mostly bare, with the occasional scruff of bush or half dead grass. In the distance there was a giant mountain range. Fluttershy could see a small forest at the edge of the mountains, and scattered dead trees could be seen between the mountains and Pebbleston. A gray cobblestone road weaved through the town. Various houses and stores were not far from the road, with a few farther out of town. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie stood next to each other surveying the area.

Just like it used to be! Pinkie thought with a grin. Fluttershy looked around with a small smile, the town looked cozy enough; it had the same charm Ponyville had, it wasn't huge but it seemed to be peaceful, if not a little barren.

"C'mon." Pinkie said, nudging Fluttershy out of her reprieve. "I'll show you around later, but right now I wanna get to the farm and surprise my parents!"

Fluttershy laughed a little at Pinkie's enthusiasm. "Sure thing Pinkie." She said, as Pinkie began to trot down the street. Various ponies glanced at them, and most didn't look at them for more than a second, but others recognized Pinkie Pie and waved to her. Pinkie would wave back and give them a big grin, while Fluttershy gave them a small, nervous smile and tried to hide behind Pinkie.

After a few minutes, they came to the town square, which was a circle with a big fountain and a statue of an earth pony mare on it. Fluttershy looked back to ask Pinkie who the statue was of, and was surprised to find that she wasn't there. Fluttershy felt herself begin to panic "Pinkie!?" She nervously called out, as she looked around for her. Without Pinkie's calming presence, Fluttershy started to feel worried and even a little scared. As she was resisting the urge to curl up into a ball, she heard Pinkie call out to her.

"Hey Flutters!" Pinkie yelled, while beckoning for her to come with her hoof. "It's this way." And she continued to trot down a dirt path that Fluttershy hadn't noticed. Fluttershy quickly flew over to Pinkie, landing next to her; feeling her heartbeat slow back down to it's normal rate.

Fluttershy and Pinkie walked in silence. Fluttershy felt some of her anxiety return as a large windmill and silo came into view. This is really happening... Fluttershy thought, feeling both excited and nervous. She glanced over to Pinkie to find a similar expression on her face. Pinkie stopped trotting, and Fluttershy quickly stopped as well

Pinkie looked around at the rocks surrounding them. "It's hard to believe that I grew up in a place like this." She turned to Fluttershy with an expression she had never seen on her face before; she looked sad and happy, all at once."I got my cutie mark here, and suddenly my boring and sad life was over! Everything was so much better than it ever had been, but things didn't change a whole lot." She shrugged. "I guess that's why I didn't want to stay here."

Fluttershy was shocked, Pinkie was almost never serious about...well, anything. She leaned next to Pinkie and nuzzled her cheek. "Pinkie, I love that you're telling me all of this." She planted a kiss the tip of her nose. "But I think we've been serious enough for one day."

Pinkie blushed lightly, her expression brightening. "Yeah, what is with me today?" She laughed for a moment before suddenly shouting. "C'mon! I'll race ya to the door!" Pinkie grinned at Fluttershy as she ran past her.

Fluttershy found herself laughing. "Pinkie! Get back here!" She said to the running mare. So can I go from being anxious, to giddy? Fluttershy thought before racing after Pinkie. She almost caught up to Pinkie, but ended up stopping at the doorstep a few seconds after Pinkie.

They both stood motionless for a few moments, catching their breath, before Pinkie knocked loudly on the door. The sound of muffled hoof steps could be heard as somepony walked towards the door. There was a slight creak as the door was opened by a grayish blue mare. Her similarly colored hair was pulled into a bun, and a few signs of silvery gray were able to be seen. She was wearing glasses with a gold chain, and her light blue eyes lit up when she saw Pinkie's face.

"Pinkamena!" The mare exclaimed, adopting a large grin. "I haven't seen you in months!" She threw her front hooves up, and so did Pinkie as they embraced.

"It has been a while mom." Pinkie said with a small chuckle. "But I'm back for a bit." Pinkie's mother was about to say something to her daughter when she noticed Fluttershy.

"And who might you be, dear?" Pinkie's mother asked curiously.

Pinkie tapped her forehead. "Oh, right! I haven't introduced you two. Mom, this is Fluttershy. I hope it's alright if she stays with us."

"Of course!" Pinkie's mom grinned. "It's nice to meet you Fluttershy. My name is Roxy, or you can call me Mrs Pie." Roxy held out her hoof and Fluttershy tentatively shook it.

"N-nice to meet you, as w-well." Fluttershy said, trying not to stammer.

Pinkie chuckled. "She's a little shy, but really kind and sweet once you get to know her." Pinkie said, causing Fluttershy to blush. Roxy didn't seem to notice.

"Well, come on in you two." Roxy said, opening the door wider. "Clyde and Blinkie are in town, and Inkie is over at her coltfriend Geode's house."

The inside of the house was clean and neat. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie went through the door into the entrance way, with a flight of stairs in front of them that led to the second floor, and a kitchen to the left through an arch. Instead of going to either of these, Roxy led the mares into a sitting room, directly to the right of the door.

It was a small room, with a big window looking out on the dusty field, filled with rocks and scattered trees that were either dying or had very little leaves clinging desperately to their branches. There was a big couch set against the wall, with a long coffee table in front of it. Pinkie and Fluttershy placed their luggage on the floor, and sat down next to each other.

Roxy smiled at them "I'll be right back with some tea." She trotted towards the kitchen. Once she was out of earshot, Pinkie turned to Fluttershy.

"So, what do you think?" Pinkie asked eagerly.

"She seems very nice." Fluttershy said with a smile. "And this house is wonderful." The house was very orderly; everything looked like it was perfectly in its place.

Pinkie grinned, flopping onto a pillow on the couch. "Yeah, I remember always running through here, and up the stairs, and up to the attic. Mom hated it when I knocked over the bookshelf." She giggled. "I might've been more energetic than I am now, if that's even possible!"

Fluttershy shook her head. "I don't think that's possible." They both shared a laugh at this. Fluttershy felt herself gain a little more confidence from simply laughing, and she thought there's not a chance that this can go wrong!

Roxy returned to the sitting room, and placed a tray with a kettle and cups on the table. She poured Pinkie, Fluttershy, and herself a glass before sitting down in a chair next to the table.

"I hope you like peach tea, Fluttershy." Roxy said, taking a sip of her own tea.

Fluttershy nodded. "I love peach tea, and thank you."

Roxy grinned. "My, what a polite young lady. So, tell me Fluttershy." Roxy placed her cup on the table. "How did you come to know Pinkamena?"

***

After almost an hour of talking and catching up on random subjects such as how the Cakes were doing, and if Pinkie had gotten the candy she had sent, Roxy got off her chair.

"Well, you two should unpack your things. I trust it'll be fine if you two share a room?" Roxy said picking up the tray.

"Not a bit!" Pinkie said jumping off the couch. Roxy rolled her eyes, while Fluttershy got up and followed Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy trotted up the stairs and walked down the hallway to a dark brown door. Pinkie opened the door and ran into the small room. The room wasn't too much, mainly a bed, a dresser, and a desk. There was a small window, overlooking the pathway that led to the farmhouse. Fluttershy took her suitcase and placed it near the bed, while Pinkie threw hers vaguely at the desk and bounced onto the bed.

Fluttershy stood, while Pinkie Pie was jumping on the bed. "So… When are we going to tell everyone?" Fluttershy asked.

"Hmmm." Pinkie said, continuing to jump. "I guess we can just tell my parents as soon as my dad gets here." She looked out the window and saw two ponies in the distance walking towards the farmhouse. "Huh, I guess he's here now."

Fluttershy glanced out the window, but couldn't make out anything specific about the ponies. "Well, I guess we should tell them pretty soon."

Pinkie hopped off the bed. "Really? I'd thought that you would want to wait."

Fluttershy shook her head. "I'm feeling pretty confident that this will work out." Fluttershy half-smiled. "Besides, I keep switching between happy and nervous, and it's starting to get on my nerves."

"That's the spirit!" Pinkie said, putting a hoof around Fluttershy's shoulder. "Let's do this!"

Fluttershy nodded. "Y-yeah, we can do this."

Pinkie and Fluttershy walked downstairs in silence, although Pinkie wasn't showing it; she was just as anxious as Fluttershy. They stopped at the foot of the stairs and waited as two ponies opened the door.

One was a dull orange stallion, with yellow orange eyes. His mane was gray, and he wore a black fedora. The other was a mare a little older than Fluttershy. She was dark blue, and had a dark gray mane. The mare broke into a big grin when she saw Pinkie.

"Sis!" She yelled, tackling Pinkie into a hug.

"Blinkie, it's been forever!" Pinkie said, hugging her sister back. She let go of her sister and looked at the stallion that had a small smile on his face. "Dad!" Pinkie yelled before rocketing into her father, causing him to let out a little oof from the impact.

"Hello, Pinkamena." He said. "Long time no see." He looked over to the yellow pegasus standing at the edge of the stairwell. "And who might this be?"

Blinkie looked up and noticed Fluttershy for the first time. "You're Fluttershy...right?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Yes, it's nice to meet you Blinkie." She then smiled at Pinkie's father "and it's a pleasure to meet you as well, Mr Pie."

Blinkie let out a snort of laughter. "You are exactly how Pinkie described you." she held out a hoof. Fluttershy coyly reached out and shook it.

"So.." Pinkie's father asked. "Are you going to be staying with us?" Fluttershy and Pinkie nodded in unison.

Pinkie beamed. "Yeah! We have some news to tell you!"

"Oh?" Roxy said, walking into the room. "Why didn't you girls tell me when we were talking?"

Pinkie grinned. "Well, this is something I wanted to tell all of you at once. It's kind of a big deal!"

The three ponies stood in silence, there curiosity piqued, as Pinkie jumped over to Fluttershy and nuzzled her cheek. "We're dating!" She shouted, as Fluttershy nodded weakly.