• Published 19th May 2013
  • 342 Views, 1 Comments

Lighting up the Sky - JakeDrake



Growing up in Cloudsdale was hard for Sky Light, always different from everypony else with no talents other than his fireworks which were the only things that he seemed to be able to do correctly. Who will he meet on his journey across Equestria?

  • ...
 1
 342

A Friend and A Problem

Chapter Two
A Friend and A Problem

The day soon came to the end as Cloudsdale disappeared from sight, over hills and down the road closer to the massive Everfree forest was a small field where a large wagon was parked with a fire burning nearby it surrounded by stones as the night slowly came alive with the sound of insects and small animals. With a few sounds of light pops and bangs quieted the sounds of the night for a little bit, slowly having them come back to the normal volume.

“It’s nice to finally be free...” Said the scrawny unicorn pony sitting on a small log under the awning that pulled out from the top of the wagon. At his hooves were four white horseshoes that were worn from use that had a faint glow to them. “Never have to wear these again either...” He said laughing a bit as he picked the horseshoes and tossed them into the fire. The fire changed into a faint white color until the magic had burned out from the metal.

The night was calm with the gentle crackle of the fire being the centerpiece of Sky Light’s attention. He had never been this far from Cloudsdale, but he had never felt more at home. It was his dream, one just so different from everypony else in Cloudsdale. A simple life of travelling to different towns selling fireworks, setting up displays for those who were willing to give him enough bits.

He smiled thinking about it all, looking at the fire and then back at his wagon before tossing the bucket he had next to him full of water onto the flames before he started to open the door again. He saw the slightly glowing ember of flame under a log and gave a swift kick backward kicking dirt to put it out fully. He gave a quick nod before hopping up fully and letting his screen shut on it’s own and locking his main wooden door to allow him to maneuver his way past all the boxes of fireworks from floor to ceiling in safe little crates to keep them dry.

Moving to a small bed he had near the back he hopped inside and pulled down a small hatch to close himself inside. Not one to enjoy being woken up by sunshine hitting him in the face he gave it a quick check then closed his eyes, falling asleep into blissful dreams of wanderings and fireworks he would use to entertain Ponies, Griffons, and even Minotaurs when he would meet them. He never thought the loud buzzing from outside his wagon was anything but normal bugs as he dreamed...

He swung open the small panel with a grin as he stepped out to stretch his limbs, lifting a small pot on top of a hot plate and turning it on to mix a simple pot of coffee to wake him up fully before he felt the cold touch of somepony on his neck who seemed to be wearing some sort of armor.

‘They are going to take me back to Cloudsdale and send me to some waste management system in the middle of nowhere. Probably in some Tornado alley to be rid of me. Please no, no no no...” Sky Light thought to himself as his eyes closed and he visibly shook.

“You will say nothing, you will do nothing, and you will not resist my occupation if you wish to be safe.” Said a chittering voice, it was an even tone but one that spoke with the pure intentions of what would happen if the speaker was disobeyed. It wasn’t a normal pony, it was worse. It was something that been in Fresh Yoke Post.

It was a Changeling.

“Of course...whatever you say.” Sky Light said with his breath shakily coming out each time. He felt the hoof move from his neck and gulped. He heard rooting around for a moment, boxes being opened then closed again with light slams. Cabinets being opened then closed with growls accompanying them.

As this went on, Sky bolt was still facing his coffee pulling it off with his magic and putting it onto a mat to not burn the drink. He eventually, after hearing the same thing for five minutes allowed himself to look back and watch as the Changeling, who looked gnarled as most did but with a light burnt cloth hanging from its head opened and closed different large creates and moved ever closer to Sky Light before turning with it’s eyes narrowed.

It seemed as if the Changeling was about to say something in its odd voice again, its horn glowing lightly with its sickly green energy before there was a heavy pounding on the side of the wagon. The Changeling took a sudden look of fear, a scar along its muzzle now greatly accented as it looked around in desperation. It kept looking around, it was clear what it was looking for.

It was looking for a place to hide.

“Equestrian Royal Guard, whomever owns this wagon please step out now, failure to comply will be met with being forced entry by the security edict.” Said a low voice from outside as the pounding stopped once again.

The Changeling looked to Sky Light and had pleading eyes, what could he do? Run out, screaming about the changeling in his wagon to have it carted away to Celestia knows where? Or...he could do the only alternative he had on his mind...

Sky Light shook his head moving closer to squeeze past the Changeling and in a whisper for the odd creature to hear, “Use the panel to hide the bed, stay there until I open it and they leave.” With a surprised look the Changeling bolted to the area told of and slide the panel down as Sky Light cleared his throat to open the wooden door but not the screen. He saw the pair of guards, both were Earth ponies wearing dark metal armor looking at him carefully.

“Have you seen any Changelings Son?” Ask the larger of the two, his greying mane compared to his partners brighter blonde was a clear show of who was in charge.

“No, if I see any I’ll point the nearest guard in the right direction.” He said smiling as he sweated a bit and showed all his white teeth as the older guard nodded.

“Well son, you have a good morning.” Said The older with a slightly raised eyebrow and looked to his ‘partner’ who turned around and both jogged down the road toward the nearest town. Sky Light watched them leave, making sure they were gone by the time they went over the crest of the nearest hill. It had been five minutes and he let out a sigh of relief.

He looked to the back of his wagon and moved to open the panel. He leaned back as he gently pushed the wood up and hopped back watching the Changeling open its bright blue eyes carefully. They had stared at one another for another two minutes before Sky Light blinked turning away. He had always heard the stories of Changelings from the books he read, most weren’t as mean as the papers had been saying, Demonizing them like that was just cruel. They were for the most part just creatures wishing to be fed as others wished to be.

“Would you...um...Like some Coffee?” Sky Light asked moving his now cool coffee pot back onto the hot plate. The Changeling moved out of the small alcove and gave a small shake of its head and watched him carefully.

“I do not understand why you did not report me to your authority figures.” The Changeling said with its head tilted. Its face was clear of most emotion and it’s only distinguishable feature was a small scar on its muzzle.

“Well...it’s complicated. I ran away from home, you are just trying to find a home.” Sky Light said heating the coffee up and pouring it into a mug then drinking it down purely black.

“Wouldn’t that be hot?” The Changeling asked with the tilt of the head.

“Extremely.” Sky Light said as he suddenly ran to the small sink to fill his mouth with water and pant a bit.

“I know it would not be what you Ponies call grateful, but you must now watch for my own safety as well as your own from now on.” The Changeling said with a flat voice and a small grin on its face now.

“No. I don’t. The Guards are gone, you were looking for a place to hide. Now you can leave because both are gone.” Sky Light said simply and glared, “Besides, I don’t want a wagon mate. I left alone for a reason.”

The Changeling used its odd ability to then change into the image of Sky Light, his light colored orange fur with the mop of black mane resting on his neck and head. It looked at him and changed instantly back. Sky Light knew the implications instantly, blackmail, the threat of being arrested when they get the Changeling to tell them who helped it, and even being ticketed with Jaywalking.

“Fine just...keep quiet and out of my way when we travel and sell things. I don’t want to get arrested...” Sky Light said and magiced open a second set of panels to pull out a large amount of fireworks making supplies and threw a few spare pillows inside. “That’s yours unless you want to find a crate to sleep in. The Changeling gave a bit of a click with its tongue and teeth and buzzed his wings to float into the higher loft and close the door from the inside.


With a grand sigh, Sky Light filled his cup of coffee again and took a slowly sip to calm himself. Now he not only had to worry about himself, but also the changeling sleeping above him. He looked at the odd panel again and shook his head as he moved to the small magic console that would cause the enchanted wheels to start turning and stick to the road as they moved toward the town less than a day away.

“At least I won’t be too bored.” He said solemnly and took another sip closing his eyes again.