• Published 19th May 2013
  • 342 Views, 1 Comments

Lighting up the Sky - JakeDrake



Growing up in Cloudsdale was hard for Sky Light, always different from everypony else with no talents other than his fireworks which were the only things that he seemed to be able to do correctly. Who will he meet on his journey across Equestria?

  • ...
 1
 342

The Start of a Journey

Chapter 1
The Start of a Journey

The city of Cloudsdale was the city known for it’s grand facilities of weather control and all it’s grand schools for the greatest of weather ponies that could go wherever they would be needed in Equestria. The Pegasi who lived there always saw themselves as ‘above’ one another and rarely had other ponies living in their city, with the exception of the flying Griffons who found themselves included in the flying sports of the Pegasi.

Sky Light was never one for such simple games, he was a very grounded pony who could never do what his classmates had done when they learned about clouds and weather patterns that they would one day manipulate for Equestria. While others entertained themselves with the different flying games, he would study in the small children’s school for the ‘less than gifted’ in the normal fields.

His mother, one of the tornado managers of the weather factory always told him to keep his head up, that not everypony was meant for weather duties around Equestria. He was nearly constantly made fun of for his lack of talent. He always did find a way to make himself smile, the cutie mark he had gotten later than everyone came from his love of Fireworks. Making them was his talent after her made a few to prove he could take out clouds like his classmates.

Not everyone approved of his odd talent, many of the ponies would fly near his home as he had a penchant for having fireworks randomly come through his windows when he was trying something new. He never, however, aimed to do any harm but was quick to judge Pegsi who sneered at him in the windy city.

Graduation came quickly for the class that Sky Light was in, his fellow members were given the graduation degrees in class but normally were only given their official assignments to areas where they would be working in weather teams. It was one of the grandest ceremonies of the year bringing in the end of the younger years of the ponies of Cloudsdale’s lives and making them truly take on responsibilities of an adult. Most had gotten their best suits and dresses on the for the grand occasion. Some of the best weather ponies even had been invited to watch who would be on the team of the newest top graduates.

Everyone in Cloudsdale had shown up for the momentous occasion, the heads of the weather factories, the families of ponies coming from Saddle Arabia who kept the skies clear of clouds and rain, even some of the royal weather team who kept the castle perfectly weather controlled throughout the year. They were the absolute best of the best out of every graduate of the academies. There had been rumors that a few of the best Pegasi would be joining their ranks this year.

As normal, the ceremony was slow and many of the most famous Pegasi gave speeches to all the former students and the families around them. Giving words of advice, encouragement, and even one of the most famous Wonderbolt giving a random student a Zap Apple Pie. This had been a tradition of the Wonderbolt since the day he graduated when he was eating a pie when he was called up to receive his Wonderbolt assignment. As the last few Pegasi were called up, the final name that was on the list was called, Sky Light.

When he didn’t answer, he was called again over using the Microphone with no answer yet again. Many of the Weather ponies started to whisper to one another while his mother looked around for him frantically. His name was called for a final time after twenty times of trying and the only sign they got back was the note his mother brought from their home still sealed with a bit of wax with the symbol of Sky Light’s cutie mark.

As it was opened by the announcer of the awards, quickly tore the letter and out came many flashing and popping lights making the sky shine in the odd colors the fireworks. Everypony there quickly grounded themselves to the nearest cloud as the explosions filled the sky. His mother had figured out what his plan was from the start, but she had wanted him to be joking. With a smile on her face, she looked out below the grand weather city to see a distant Gypsy style wagon barreling down the road.

She couldn’t say she had blamed her son for not wanting to attend the ceremony, he had always wanted to leave Cloudsdale since he was bullied as a foal. She smiled at the fireworks, knowing he would find someway to use his special talent to get somewhere in the world...even if it wasn’t having anything to do with Cloudsdale.

After all, it isn’t easy growing up in Cloudsdale as a Unicorn.

Author's Note:

I know the people that have been watching me for at least a year have been waiting for something of an update on another one of my stories.

But I've been fairly busy with other things and will happily be updating this, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while. The Element of Chaos is also coming very slowly but...It's coming.

I hope you all enjoy this and tell me what you think of this story.