• Published 19th May 2013
  • 1,440 Views, 37 Comments

Tidbits of Mast and Sail - Habanc



Ye 'Ole Collection of Ships

  • ...
3
 37
 1,440

Looking Into Infinity

Author's Note:

A one-hour doodle that stemmed from some comic-reading and music by The Eden Project. Enjoy.

"Now... now I remember that one." A purple hoof pointed to the sky.

"Ah, yes, I created that when Astra was born," Luna snuggled closer.

"Twenty-four years..." Twilight murmured. "How did the time pass?"

Luna buried her nose into Twilight mane, which was webbed by ephemeral streams of pure magic, lacing up and down like a spider web. It smelled like autumn air, when the leaves were amber and the world was on the cusp of slumber, relaxed and happy.

Just as they were.

"Time always passes," Luna muttered, enjoying the cool bed of grass beneath them. "Just like the stars will always sparkle at night."

"Yes," Twilight planted a kiss on her head, "yes they do."

They continued to lie there. Somewhere beyond Canterlot, beyond Ponyville, beyond Manehattan, beyond the lands of Zebrica and Griffonia, beyond the mountains and the seas, they were two specks of life on a black sea of open plain. For on and on the grasses stretched, sparkling with the life of a world that hadn't been touched in thousands of years.

The plain paradise stretched for all horizons. The breeze was warm, batting the grasses left and right, waking the crickets and fireflies into action. They danced and sang, swirling sound and action into a fibre that this world rested upon. The grasses, the crickets, the fireflies, and the stars. This way could carry on for infinity, and the two souls would think no less of it. They would shine as brightly to the stars as they did to them.

"What took us so long to do this?" Twilight wondered, still gazing up into the night.

Luna shifted onto her back. "Well, raising a foal is never easy. Managing a nation is pretty hectic too. We were busy."

"Still." Twilight sighed. "It's not like we aren't busy now. I don't see why we couldn't have squeezed in an hour every month or so. It's just... this is so nice."

Luna reached over and found Twilight's hoof, placing her own on top of it. "It's fine. What matters is that we're here now together, not what could've happened years ago."

Twilight rested her head on Luna's shoulder. "I suppose you're right."

"I always am."

"As if." Twilight snorted.

Luna's whole body tensed up, preceded by a sharp intake of breath. Twilight was already primed and ready, the tip of her tongue sticking out, ready to poke her partner further.

But it could not hold. Luna relaxed again and placed a kiss on Twilight's cheek. With a sigh, she settled back in to her stargazing spot. "Very funny, Cutie Twi."

Twilight giggled. "Well, there's a name I haven't heard in a while."

Luna shifted around, rubbing up closer. "Well, I hope there's nothing wrong with that."

"Of course not."

"Good. It's simply that at this place, right now, it is between me and you." She turned her head to the side, locking their eyes together. "We've been waiting years for a time like this to come."

"I know." Twilight yawned.

Luna smiled. "Come here," she murmured, and magically drew Twilight in, wrapping about her with her wings.

"Sorry. I– I didn't mean to sound tired." Nevertheless, Twilight snuggled in, partially atop the midnight mare. "It's just that I've spent most of the day helping Astra with her university applications. I–" she yawned again, "– I didn't know they were so big these days."

"It's fine." Luna smirked and held her close. "I know she'll do just great."

"I hope so." Twilight breathed deeply. She studied the reflection of the sky in Luna's eyes, how the starlight danced upon her lips, how the moon shined along her cheeks. "This was a nice idea, Luna. We've had so much going on at home, that, well, it's almost easy to forget about moments like this with each other."

"Well, this is how we started out, if memory serves correct. Stargazing on your balcony." Luna smiled as she continued to watch the skies. "Sort of cheesy and cliché, but it worked."

Twilight nuzzled her. "Well, you know I'm a sucker for those sort of things."

Luna chuckled. "Yes... that was a bit of a surprise. I didn't know tacky love poems and chocolates would work so well."

"Or stargazing," Twilight added in.

"Yes, of course. Or stargazing." Luna kissed her head. "If all ponies sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently."

Twilight stiffened. "This... this isn't you being jealous, is it?"

"No, of course not." Luna wrapped her hug tighter. "You and Astra are more than enough love for me."

"Aw, Luna." Twilight relaxed and pecked her chin. "We try our best."

"I know, and it's wonderful. It's the other ponies in Equestria that I worry about. It's that with stargazing, when you look into infinity, you realize there are more important things than what ponies do all day."

"Such as?" Twilight asked.

"You."