• Published 11th Feb 2012
  • 1,830 Views, 40 Comments

Doctor Whoof: The Iron Horse - Muleicous

  • ...
3
 40
 1,830

(Part 1) Calm before the Storm

Calm before the Storm

“And... Done!” The Doctor called from under his consul, “Ok Derpy, flip the red wobbly thingy on me signal and not a moment too soon. Ready? Three... Two... One... NOW!” The time colt flew from the middle of the room, just as his assistant pulled the strange red slider down. But nothing happened. “What? That’s it?!” The Doctor yelled as he walked towards his machine, “Not a blip? Not even an explosion?! Really?! Is this bloody place messing with you so much that you can’t even blow up?” The brown pony then kicked the metal, which sent a quick shock of pain up his leg. “BLOODY HELL! You damned piece of...”

“Doctor stop!” Derpy Hooves quickly wrapped her front hooves around her friend, trying to calm him down before one of the foals ran in and saw his tantrum. Slowly, The Doctor’s two beating hearts calmed and he pulled away from the grey pegasus.

“Thank you Derpy... I needed that.” he said, then quickly returned to his work. The time colt began to push what seemed like random buttons to Derpy, but she was sure her friend had a pattern of some sort. Finally, the brown colt just shook his head and sighed. “She’s fried Derpy, completely gone. I thought that the pieces from The Rani’s TARDIS would help stabilize her but... Wait, that’s it! The Rani!” The Doctor turned to Derpy and smiled wide, then ran for his bow-tie, “If I could just get her to tell me how her TARDIS stayed relatively unscaved, then I mite have a chance of getting home by tonight!”

The mail pegasus could only smile, as if this was the best news she would ever get. However, in Derpy’s heart she was truly afraid of The Doctor leaving. But how could she tell him? How could she tell her best friend that she couldn’t let him go, that she never wanted to let him go. Not after all they’ve been through.
“It’s not up to me though...” Derpy said to herself.

“What was that?” The Doctor asked.

“Nothing... Just be careful ok? The Rani’s probably still pretty mad at all of us.”

“Oh don’t worry,” The time colt smiled as his friend confidently, “I’ve dealt with her before.” Then, The Doctor headed out the door and left Derpy behind. Once the pegasus knew her friend was gone, Derpy kneeled under the TARDIS consul. She then carefully gripped a wire with her teeth, and reconnected it to the red wobbly thingy.

“I shouldn’t have done that...” Derpy said to herself, her eyes tearing up as she heard the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Dinky run outside.

***

The Doctor felt his shoulders crack as he moved them, then he entered Ponyville Town Hall. The tall, tower-like building had a new coat of bright yellow paint on the inside, with Mayor Mare’s office just beyond a flight of white stairs. The Doctor began his accent on the staircase, noting the various pictures and awards on the walls. He was actually able to spot himself in quite a few, and Derpy too if he looked hard enough. One picture caught his eye though, the picture of him and River Song in her pony form. It was torn from a newspaper article that read Heroes save Ponyville: Who is the mysterious Doctor Whoof?This made the old time colt chuckle a bit. It was strange how humans had barely gotten a picture of him, and yet these ponies had at least ten or fifteen. The Doctor pushed it to the back of his mind and made his way to the mayor’s office.

“Hello again Mayor, I’d like to see our favorite prisoner.” the brown colt said as he pushed through the large white doors of Mayor Mare’s office. However, he wasn’t greeted by just the mayor, but also a white unicorn in black armor. To Just by his appearance, The Doctor could tell that the unicorn was battle hardened, mostly due to the three long scars on the armored pony’s right eye.

“Oh, Doctor...” Mayor Mare said, her voice sounding a bit shaken, “This fine gentlecolt was just asking me about you.”

The unicorn stepped forward and nodded to The Doctor, “The elusive Doctor... We meet at last.”

“Yes... And you would be?” The time colt asked.

“Oh yes, where are my manners? I am General Stormbreaker of the Canterlot Royal Guard.” The armored unicorn answered, “I’ve actually been promoted to a new station quite recently, and it’s really all thanks to you and your friend Miss Rani.”

“Really? Friend?” The Doctor cocked his head to the side.

“Oh come now Doctor, you don’t have to play coy with me.” Stormbreaker smiled, which did nothing to ease his menacing looks, “The Rani told us of your past friendship, but I’m willing to over look obvious lies if you’re willing to answer some questions.”

“Now wait a moment General,” Mayor Mare piped up, having found her courage once more, “you may be part of the royal guard, but I will not stand for you blackmailing a citizen of MY town. Do you understand?”

For a moment, it looked as if Stormbreaker was going to hit the mayor, but somehow the battle worn colt held his temper at bay. “I can assure you, Miss Mare, that I can question whomever I please.” The general turned back to The Doctor, “And I’m sure neither of you will mind if I take The Rani into Canterlot dungeon now. After all...” Stormbreaker paused and looked The Doctor straight in the eye, “We don’t want another incident, do we Doctor?”

The time colt glared at this new face, noting how the right eye seemed to be blind and scared. “No, we don’t...” he replied, then Stormbreaker began to leave. “Before you go, I want to know something. Which branch of the royal guard are you in exactly?” Stormbreaker turned and smiled once more, this time a malicious and hate-filled smile.

“I’m the head of Torchwhoof.” the general replied, then left. As soon as he was out of ear shot, Mayor Mare stepped to The Doctor’s side.

“Doctor, What is Torchwhoof?” she asked flatly.

“Trouble.” The Doctor answered, his eyes burning with hate as he realize what his presence had done to Equestria. “And it’s all my fault.”

***

Apple Bloom loved the feeling of the wind running through her hair as she ran, especially when it was accompanied by the smell of her family’s home grown apples. The filly couldn’t help but laugh as she chased after Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, their game of tag had been going on for what felt like seconds when it was actually an hour. They had asked Dinky to join them, but the shy unicorn opted to help Granny Smith cook up a big dinner for everypony. The Cutie Mark Crusaders didn’t pursue the matter, they knew that Dinky was just trying to get the same thing they where. A Cutie Mark.

Derpy was helping Applejack finish bucking her side of the orchard, while Big Macintosh was relaxing after finishing his own chores. The three eager fillies had asked to help, but all three adult ponies vigorously said no. The CMCs where used to that, especially after last week when they had almost broken Big Mac’s leg, but it didn’t bother them. It just gave them more time to play, at least until Sweetie saw a mail pegasus fly up to the farm house’s porch. Each filly looked into the other’s eyes and smiled, all mouthing the same thing.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders! Ninja Ponies!” The Crusaders called out silently. They kept their bellies to the ground as they snuck up on Big Mac and the mail pony, able to hear their conversation easily.

“So,” the mail pegasus began, his voice had a slight Stalionguard accent, “you’re cousin needs a bit of help, dah?”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac replied, seemingly relaxed around this mail pony. “Braeburn’s always needed a bit of help sometimes Dimitrot.”

“I completely understand, my brother’s the same way.” Dimitrot said, “But from what you told me yesterday, you and Miss AJ wont be able to finish the apple bucking in time.”

“Eenope...” Macintosh nodded, then looked at the tall grass behind his friend, “Apple Bloom, ya’ll want ta go see cousin Braeburn and Little Strongheart in Appleloosa?”

At that point, Apple Bloom blew the Cutie Mark Crusader’s cover completely. She jumped up and ran towards the porch, “Heck yeah I do! Um... I mean... Eeyup.” The filly mimicked her big brother almost perfectly, causing Dimitrot to laugh. The mail pegasus said his good bye and flew off to deliver more mail, leaving the three fillies with the big red colt.

“Now, you’re gonna need somepony to go with you... Not you two girls, a full grown pony.” Big Mac said, squashing Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s hopes of going with. Suddenly, The Doctor walked past the small group, a sour look on his face as he entered the Apple’s house. “Well, he don’t seem like he’s too happy now. Wonder what that Ran-knee said to him?”

“Big Mac,” Apple Bloom said, smiling wide, “I know just the pony to come with me!”

------

Author's Note: It's Doctor Who trivia time again! Just some stuff to explain things that... Well, that I feel like explaining. To those who watch Doctor Who, the name Torchwood sounds a little familure (unless you've only started watching durning Matt Smith's run). Torchwood (an anagram for Doctor Who), is an agency started by Queen Victoria after her run in with The Doctor when he was in his 9th incarnation (before David Tennet). It's main purpose is to study alien technology that comes to Earth to help get mankind ready incase a large scale alien invasion occurs.

Torchwood's had two main 'leaders': Capt. Jack Harkness (an old ally of the Doctor's who's in charge of Torchwood location 3), and Yvonne Hartman (who is the first person seen in the Doctor who series as the head of Torchwood.) Torchwood operates above even military level, which is the same for Torchwhoof.

As for General Stormbreaker, he's not based off either Harkness of Hartman. I actually used a pony from the Tumblr for Little Miss Rarity, so yeah... Just wanted to clear that up. As for what Torchwhoof was made for... It'll be explained later on.

Thanks for your time and support,

Muleicous.